Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: filling the space between o/u dr barrels

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
penwolf
.224 member

Reged: 14/03/06
Loc: Tennessee
filling the space between o/u dr barrels
      #177557 - 23/03/11 09:48 AM

Hi to all.
It has been several years sence I've been on this forum. My question is how to fill the space between the barrels of a Baikal O/U DR ? I don't like the empty space. I have thought of using wood. Do any of you have any ideas? If so, how would you do it? How would you keep the spacer from moving about, not affecting accuracy, etc.? Are there any articles on it?
Thank you,
Penwolf

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: filling the space between o/u dr barrels [Re: penwolf]
      #177558 - 23/03/11 10:07 AM

I would have thought that unless soldered, it will affect accuracy and when soldered, it will need to be re regulated
to a new load.

Just my HO.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: filling the space between o/u dr barrels [Re: 500Nitro]
      #177560 - 23/03/11 12:30 PM

Aren't Baikals re regulatable at the front? Like Valmets? If so a couple of pieces of wood sandwiching the gap might work and then a re regulation by the shooter to fine tune it.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Edited by mickey (24/03/11 06:43 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #177588 - 24/03/11 02:54 AM

You could use wood, as on a swivel-breech muzzleloader. Darkly stained fiddleback maple - or something darker like ebony would be nice. I doubt it would change anything, depending on how it was attached.

If you did a search for swivel breeches, you might get some ideas. Not a difficult job with some wood working tools.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

pulki
.224 member

Reged: 14/02/05
Re: filling the space between o/u dr barrels [Re: DarylS]
      #177606 - 24/03/11 10:50 AM

Penwolf
If you are able, check a Blaser BBF or over under Blaser double rifle. They used a sort of rubber band.
It does not affect regulation and looks good.It works .
Pulki.

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #177774 - 28/03/11 03:13 AM

Contact tarawa from this forum, he can make you a milled, slide in spacer out of black delrin. You have to measure the distance between the barrels at the front and back for him and he will make it to fit your gun. You then have to remove the front sight bracket by driving out the holding pin. The spacer will then slide in from the front and you then replace the sight bracket and pin. Very slick and neat, and it matches the barrels well. Tell George I sent you to him! Bob H.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: filling the space between o/u dr barrels [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #177790 - 28/03/11 02:21 PM

Valmet/Tikka/Marrochi Finnclassic U/O double rifles and combination rifles have barrel rib spacers like this available.

In fact I have just bought several for my sets of barrels to give them a try. They were cheap so if they don't work, or affect anything, I'll just not use them. They have not arrived yet. Not sure how they are affixed yet, or whether a gunsmith is needed or not.

An example of Finnclassic's with the rib/spacer.

Probably doesn't help with a Baikal though, but it shows it can be done.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

penwolf
.224 member

Re: filling the space between o/u dr barrels [Re: NitroX]
      #177887 - 30/03/11 05:41 AM

Thanks to all of you. I really appreciate your help. As Tarawa suggested in a private message I'll see about getting some black delrin and route it to fit. If I can't find some delrin I'll try some black walnut.
I like this Baikal .30-06 O/U. It fits me nicely. I have not regulated it yet, but hope to do so when the weather gets better. I'll be using 200/220gr bullets with a basic 50yd (irons) zerro and a 100yd zerro with scope. I don't reload yet so will have to rely on store-bought ammo 'till then. Any suggestions as to what brand ammo? I will be using the double for boar. In the South the hunting is mostly close and in thick cover. I'll also use it in Texas where some of the shooting will be more open and possible longer distances, therefore the scope/100yd zerroing.
Once again, thank you all for your help.
Penwolf (Norman)

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #177890 - 30/03/11 06:05 AM

Any reason you are not using 180gns which over here is much more readily available in factory ammo.

tarawa
.333 member

Reged: 21/10/07
Loc: South Florida
      #177921 - 30/03/11 12:48 PM

Dont forget that these were regulated with a bullet about 160 grains. Does your O&U have some sort of regulation screw or is it set at the factory with a cylindrical spacer like mine. to change the factory regulation on mine i would have to use different size spacers....not included. Thats why mine came with a regulation load.

--------------------
Life is for Service

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
      #177922 - 30/03/11 12:52 PM

Several years ago I ordered a spacer for my Valmet from the importer here in the US. It is a black piece of vinyl 10" long by 5/8" by 3/8" thick. It is concave on the 5/8" sides and veed on the 3/8" sides. You just press it in the gap and it stays. Doesn't look too bad either. If I remember I thought it was a little pricey at the time although if memory sreves it was less than $30

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: filling the space between o/u dr barrels [Re: zimhunter]
      #177995 - 31/03/11 03:01 AM

The spacers/ribs arrived for my Tikka U/O today.

I think they are rather expensive for a bit of rubber that looks like a wiper washer blade for a windscreen! However they do the job. Fitted three of the the four. I have a couple of sets of DR barrels, and a couple of combination barrel sets.

While not traditional at all, the rubber thingies do make the barrels look better, so I suppose they are an improvement. Will have to wait a while before I see if they affect how the DR's shoot before I can test them out.

Will see if I can take a photo or two.

Also received several sets of 30 mm rings and Sako QD mounts so can finally fit a Nightforce scope I have had on hand for the 9.3 for a while.

They may well fit a Baikal, but it would depend on the width of the gap between the barrels.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

penwolf
.224 member

Re: filling the space between o/u dr barrels [Re: tarawa]
      #178068 - 01/04/11 03:17 AM

Gentlemen,
My Baikal comes with an adjusting wheel for regulation, so it is fairly easy to adjust for whatever weight bullets I choose. As for my choice of a 220 gr instead of a 180 gr, I am a big fan of using the heavest bullets whenever possible (within reason). Most of my hunting is in thick cover and at close range here in the South (God's country) therefore the iron sights at 50 yds. Some times a chance at longer ranges in Texas therefore the 100 yd sighting-in with the scope.
I stand a much better chance of a through-and-through shot on hogs with a 220 gr than a 180 gr slug. Therefore a better chance for a blood trail if the beasty doesn't go down instantly.
Pemwolf

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 102 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4619

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com