Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: HOGS WITH DOUBLE GUNS

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
rjj771
.224 member

Reged: 24/09/09
Loc: WNY & TX - USA
HOGS WITH DOUBLE GUNS
      #173777 - 25/12/10 03:05 AM

having trouble getting both pics on.****Here are a couple of pictures of my recent Texas hunt. The first was taken by a Uggie 16 using deer slugs. I carry slugs while quail hunting because of the large numbers of hogs in the area. The second was taken with my Merkel 141 30-06 running full steam at 70 yards.

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (28/02/11 10:07 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: HOGS WITH DOUBLE GUNS [Re: rjj771]
      #173778 - 25/12/10 03:12 AM

Great shooting and thanks for posting.

With the destruction of elk herds in our state due to growing wolf populations, many "over a beer conversations" are had about wishing we had pigs. Not sure that is a good idea, but you guys who hunt them sure make them look like a grand game animal!!!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

crkennedy1
.375 member

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: Utah
Re: HOGS WITH DOUBLE GUNS [Re: 9.3x57]
      #173786 - 25/12/10 05:52 AM

9.3x57 - I've shot a few hogs and several elk. No doubt hogs are great fun to shoot (especially with a bow), but it's quite difficult to compare hunting them to elk - it's like comparing an apple to an orange - both are good but very different and, in my opinion, the elk are much more difficult to hunt.

--------------------
DOUBLE or NOTHING

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: HOGS WITH DOUBLE GUNS [Re: crkennedy1]
      #173787 - 25/12/10 06:03 AM

CR:

I didn't mean to compare, per se, the hunting of pigs with elk, only to make the point that pigs provide so much hunting opportunity in so many places, and with the frustration expressed here over wolf-caused elk population declines, many want SOMETHING to hunt.

I know of one illegal pig introduction {possibly "accidently on-purpose"?} in the Owyhees. I still don't think Idaho Fish and Game has got them under control. It is a controversial topic to be sure, as if illegal introductions took place in Central Idaho, there's no way I can see that they would be eliminated.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: HOGS WITH DOUBLE GUNS [Re: 9.3x57]
      #173790 - 25/12/10 07:27 AM

I've talked with a couple guys from Texas about hogs - compared to wolves and they both felt they were as bad, but for different reasons. The wolves killing unglulates and domsetic animals while over populating, and the pigs destroying normal animal habitat which reduces the ungluate numbers through starvation, while the pigs equally over populate & become almost impossible to deal with.

I know nothing of pig hunting. But have a bunch of guns that are suitable at many different ranges, from sniping to bush whacking.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

rjj771
.224 member

Reged: 24/09/09
Loc: WNY & TX - USA
Re: HOGS WITH DOUBLE GUNS [Re: DarylS]
      #173800 - 25/12/10 09:18 AM

Pigs are varmint!! They are not a game animal and only do damage to habitate. I feel no guilt when I harvest. If you don't have them, you don't want them!!!!!
Bob Jurewicz

--------------------

gallatin
.224 member

Reged: 30/05/07
Loc: Olympia,Wa. USA
      #173807 - 25/12/10 12:38 PM

I heard there were accidential/on purpose hogs just south of the Olympic Natl. Park. Saw some pictures in a sport shop in Brady,WA. looked like the hogs you see in the Corolinas
John

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #173844 - 26/12/10 05:49 AM

Quote:

Pigs are varmint!! They are not a game animal and only do damage to habitate. I feel no guilt when I harvest. If you don't have them, you don't want them!!!!!
Bob Jurewicz

Thanks BOB - THAT is pretty much a direct quote from those lads from Texas, I spoke of. - HA!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

tarawa
.333 member

Reged: 21/10/07
Loc: South Florida
Re: HOGS WITH DOUBLE GUNS [Re: DarylS]
      #173845 - 26/12/10 05:58 AM

If it wasn't for hogs, I wouldn't have anything to hunt in Florida. All them hunting shows on TV showing deer and turkey hunting in Florida must be filmed on private land.
And my gun of choice is a double of course!

--------------------
Life is for Service

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: HOGS WITH DOUBLE GUNS [Re: tarawa]
      #173866 - 26/12/10 10:53 AM

I've hunted hogs in Alabama on several occasions. They are smart as heck. We don't have feral hogs in western Virginia.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: HOGS WITH DOUBLE GUNS [Re: CptCurl]
      #173868 - 26/12/10 12:24 PM

Well-done!

Bill_Cooley
.300 member

Reged: 14/12/06
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Re: HOGS WITH DOUBLE GUNS [Re: Ben]
      #174964 - 06/02/11 09:07 AM

You don't want hogs. They are a blight. They destroy the woods and compeat with all outher desierable game aniamls. You can go to maney places and shoot as maney as you want, but don't ever wish for them in your area if you don't have them now.
Bill

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: HOGS WITH DOUBLE GUNS [Re: Bill_Cooley]
      #176219 - 26/02/11 01:16 AM

This is a one day kill, for 14 hunters, all with double rifles at The annual low fence 96,000 acre 4K ranch DRSS hunt/get together near Brady Texas!
There is a saying in Texas that goes like this: "There is only two kinds of land in Texas, land that has wild hogs, and land that WILL HAVE HOGS!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Edited by CptCurl (28/02/11 10:07 AM)

Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
      #176222 - 26/02/11 02:55 AM

Looks like a great hunting day!!! //Staffan

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #176317 - 28/02/11 04:46 PM

Well done rjj.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

chemarq
.275 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Spain
Re: HOGS WITH DOUBLE GUNS [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #177849 - 29/03/11 05:12 PM

Quote:

This is a one day kill, for 14 hunters, all with double rifles at The annual low fence 96,000 acre 4K ranch DRSS hunt/get together near Brady Texas!
There is a saying in Texas that goes like this: "There is only two kinds of land in Texas, land that has wild hogs, and land that WILL HAVE HOGS!

Really nice picture after a good hunting day !!!
Congratulations !!!

Jose

--------------------
Spitskop Safaris - South Africa

www.spitskop.co.za

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: HOGS WITH DOUBLE GUNS [Re: chemarq]
      #177850 - 29/03/11 05:53 PM

I donīt know the genetic differences between these hogs you have and the Jabali we have here in Spain but here they are regarded as one of the top game animals, medal graded according to tusks. they are clever and dangerous, one female killed three dogs here a few weeks ago on a monteria before being shot. I wonder why you see so much damage over there but we donīt see it here, maybe different habits I guess, intereesting, best

baileybradshaw
.333 member

Reged: 21/06/08
Loc: Diana, TX
Re: HOGS WITH DOUBLE GUNS [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #177869 - 29/03/11 11:30 PM

Ferral hogs are not native to the ecology here. They are destructive to fields, crops and fences. They consume large amounts of forage used by other species. They are also one of the largest predators of deer fawns. We also see an increase in coyote populations due to the abundance of piglets to prey on.

I have a friend who used to farm peanuts in S. Texas. He estimated the hogs cost him over 10% of his crop as well as added maintenance to his fields. When the hogs root up the peanuts, they create a low area that holds water and kills the plants.

--------------------
www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

Phillip
.300 member

Reged: 31/05/10
Loc: North Carolina
Re: HOGS WITH DOUBLE GUNS [Re: baileybradshaw]
      #177881 - 30/03/11 04:41 AM

Damn, that's a big cooler!!

--------------------
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: HOGS WITH DOUBLE GUNS [Re: Phillip]
      #177882 - 30/03/11 04:51 AM

Mike and Bailey

That's interesting.

Over here they do a huge amount of damage rooting up fields paddocks, water courses etc. I believe over here they tend only to be come meat eaters in severe times (in some areas) or when we drop Buffalo, the pigs hook into them (excuse the pun). Some big boars become sheep killers and then you have real problems as they didn't get big and dangerous by being stupid so catching them can be a problem.

Pigs over here will kill dogs no problem which is why all the dogs used for hunting them wear fire hose breast plates etc, but even then some still get killed.

Love the picture of the hogs in the snow.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: HOGS WITH DOUBLE GUNS [Re: 500Nitro]
      #178133 - 02/04/11 01:06 AM

I think there is a big difference between feral hogs and feral/wild boar. I believe the hogs have much higher birth rates because of the commercial genetics somewhere along the line, and so spread much more rapidly. Am I right that alot are wild boar/commercial pig hybrids?
They all do huge damage to pasture, crops and fences, etc. but IMHO if an area is going to get them, you want to hope for pure wild boar.

chemarq
.275 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Spain
Re: HOGS WITH DOUBLE GUNS [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #178204 - 02/04/11 07:40 PM

Quote:

I think there is a big difference between feral hogs and feral/wild boar. I believe the hogs have much higher birth rates because of the commercial genetics somewhere along the line, and so spread much more rapidly. Am I right that alot are wild boar/commercial pig hybrids?
They all do huge damage to pasture, crops and fences, etc. but IMHO if an area is going to get them, you want to hope for pure wild boar.

A regular wildboar female in europe usually give birth 4-5 piglets, from them usually 2-3 survive, and arrive to 3-6 months old (because depredation of foxes, wolves and eagles mainly).

How many piglets is able to grow a female feral pig in the USA ??? They are really more "productive ??' They become a pest ???

A big wilboar male in South Europe can arrive to 100 kg, in central and northern europe they are bigger and arrive to 200 kg. How much weight for a big boar in the feral pigs in USA ???

It is very interesting for us because we have great consideration about hunting wildboars in europe, is a clever animal, and each hunter would love to get a gold medal pair of tusk in their wall... BUT we see that you give no value to your pigs... that sounds unusual to us...

Thank you very much.-... it is a very interesting post for me.
Jose

--------------------
Spitskop Safaris - South Africa

www.spitskop.co.za

penwolf
.224 member

Reged: 14/03/06
Loc: Tennessee
Re: HOGS WITH DOUBLE GUNS [Re: chemarq]
      #178489 - 07/04/11 03:44 AM

Dear Chemarq,
Sense we in the US don't have "pure" European/Russian boar, as such, to hunt in the wild, I'll keep my comments to our ferral hogs. I hunt mainly in the Southeast US. The average weight of a hog is about 150 pounds (68kg) with a few up to 400 to 500 pounds (181 to 227kg).
A ferral hog female can birth up to three times a year with a litter size of up to ten and rarely twelve piglets. On averge they deliver twice a year with eight to ten to a litter. As you can see they can overpopulate an area rather quickly. They can create damage to crops, orchards, and the wilds, if allowed (what's to stop them?!?!)
Most states list them as pests, so they can be hunted year-round. Some states allow night hunting.
Hogs/pigs/wilf boar are very intelligent, cunning, and FAST learners. They are a worthy animal to hunt no matter where you find them.
Yes, we hunters DO give great value to our pigs, but with their easily over populating an area and the dammage they can inflict on farm land and wild areas alike, the state wildlife agencies have, for the most part, declared them pests, albeit worthy pests.
I value them, probably more than most, as I know what they are capable of.
Yours,
Norman

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 177 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12897

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com