Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .577 on buffalo

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
wadeb
.224 member

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Oregon, USA
.577 on buffalo
      #110721 - 30/07/08 04:43 PM

I just shot three good buffalo for the first time with my searcy .577 and all I can say is that I have fallen in love with that caliber. I can't say that I noticed any real difference between its performance and that of a .416, .470 or .500 for that matter due to the fact that the buffalo still ran 80 or so yards with a 750 grain triple shock through its heart, but I am sure that the larger wound chanel, energy etc. would help on a close and personal encounter. For me, the recoil is extremely tolerable and I even shot an impala at approx. 85 yards with it.

wadeb

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: .577 on buffalo [Re: wadeb]
      #110725 - 30/07/08 08:16 PM

Congratulations on your success. Do you have photos to share?

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #110728 - 30/07/08 09:13 PM

Would also like to see photos if available...

Surprised you are shooting triple shocks through your double..not questioning the performance, just don't hear too many using them in a double rifle...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #110833 - 01/08/08 06:22 AM

Quote:

I just shot three good buffalo for the first time with my searcy .577 and all I can say is that I have fallen in love with that caliber. I can't say that I noticed any real difference between its performance and that of a .416, .470 or .500 for that matter due to the fact that the buffalo still ran 80 or so yards with a 750 grain triple shock through its heart, but I am sure that the larger wound chanel, energy etc. would help on a close and personal encounter. For me, the recoil is extremely tolerable and I even shot an impala at approx. 85 yards with it.

wadeb

congratulations on your buffalo hunt, and your aquisition of the B. Searcy 577NE double rifle! The question by Ripp about the Triple shock bullets being used in the rifle, is answered by Searcy. He says his rifle will safely handle mono-metel bullets, so if they damage it, Butch will make the rifle whole for you!

I personally will not use a mono-metel bullet in any double rifle, including a Searcy, unless it has very thin properly spaced pressure rings,like the now defunct North Fork, or the GS Custom!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

wadeb
.224 member

Re: .577 on buffalo [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #110864 - 01/08/08 01:26 PM

Ripp, dugaboy is correct in saying that Mr. Searcy himself states that tripleshocks are fine to fire through his rifles. Two years ago, he in fact sent me a box of .500 tripleshocks to take home to Tanzania to try out on buffalo. This I did and the result impressed me so much that that is the only non-solid that I use anymore.
I also have an old William Evans .470 in which I would never use anything other than woodleighs due to the fact that it is not made of modern steel.

For me personally, I am extremely impressed with what tripleshocks do to buffalo and will continue to use them in my searcy rifles.

Wadeb

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #110882 - 01/08/08 09:34 PM

Good to know---

As to the performance of the triple shocks--use them here as well for elk, deer, bear, etc...they work well...and hold up very well to higher velocity cartridges...use them exclusively in a custom rifle I have chambered in .257 weatherby...have 100 grain bullets cooking along at 3700 fps --us it for mule deer and an occasional antelope..have never recovered a bullet as they all blow through..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

wadeb
.224 member

Re: .577 on buffalo [Re: Ripp]
      #110890 - 02/08/08 12:31 AM

Ripp, on buffalo, I have found penetration to be very good and have recovered quite a few bullets. Weight retention have been pretty much 100% and they have performed superbly. I even tested a .500 triplex through the head of a downed buffalo in 06, and found the bullet in the neck, showing more than enough penetration for a charge situation. Having said that, old habits die hard and I still always change to solids when the potential for close encounters presents itself.
I also use tripleX in my 7mm over there and, once again am totally happy with them, even on eland.
I will sincerely try and get some pictures up soon.

take care,
Wadeb

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #110982 - 03/08/08 09:59 AM

Found a Searcy 577 NE for 13K if anyone has a yearning for a 577 NE---

**Whupps, my bad.This gun was sold or no longer available.Westley Richards does have a similar searcy for $20K though--

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Edited by hoppdoc (03/08/08 10:08 AM)

FireHunter
.224 member

Reged: 11/07/06
Loc: Southeast Oregon, USA
Re: .577 on buffalo [Re: hoppdoc]
      #111215 - 06/08/08 03:37 PM

Great to read about your success Wade! I just got back from a long fire assignment but will be sure to call you soon to get the whole story on the trip. I'm sad I didn't get the chance to shoot that .577 while I was closer. Good Stuff!

To all, I have seen the recovered TSX's Wade speaks of and they are incredible to see. A very menacing look about them and perfect performance is the rule - especially in the large calibers. (U.S. spelling...

Brett

--------------------
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 123 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3916

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com