Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lead sled and stocks

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Lead sled and stocks [Re: 450_366]
      #105600 - 19/05/08 07:53 PM

Bwananelson, if you read the original post you will see I am not advocating shooting a double rifle off a bench. I AM interested in the physics as to why it may damage the stock and it seems to have been answered here. Personally I take no particular pleasure in sighting in a shotgun with slugs at a normal bench ...or am I abnormal, best, Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Lead sled and stocks [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #105603 - 19/05/08 08:07 PM

Mike
I bought one when they first come out and think they are awesome if used right..I will NOT put too much weight in the holder so there is still some recoil and therefore feel it will protect the rifle stock better..

As to point of impact--I use in only with the big guns --416. 458, etc...and as they are all close quarter guns..100 yards or less..have not noticed much if any as too change of impact from the lead sled to standard rests...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Lead sled and stocks [Re: Ripp]
      #105652 - 20/05/08 10:22 AM

Fellas, here is Xausa's Sled. He reports:

"Yes, it gives against the recoil. A welder friend of mine simply notched a piece of 3" channel iron and bent it 90 degrees at the weld, then welded the notch back together. I bolted the resulting fixture to a piece of 3/4" plywood, upon which I rested my bench rest stand and as much weight in the form of lead shot as I found necessary. The whole contraption was placed on the bench rest table top and allowed to move in any direction, with only the friction between the plywood and the table top restraining it.

In use, I simply placed the butt of the gun against the upright portion of the fixture, rested the foreend in my hand and my hand on the sandbag on the benchrest stand, held the butt firmly against the fixture and the fixture against my shoulder and fired. Depending upon how much shot I was using, the whole thing moved either rapidly or slowly and majestically to the rear. This added about 1/4" to the length of pull of the rifle, which to me was much more satisfactory than placing a lead shot filled "sissy bag" between the rifle butt and my shoulder, another alternative.

I got the idea from the "Preuss device" (Preussgeraet) which I had seen used in Germany to sight in rifles, including drillings and double rifles at the factory and at gunmaker's establishments.

When I started development of the .505, based on John Buhmiller's experiences, I set up the device and started with a moderate load and increased the powder charge in one grain increments until I reached the desired velocity. I think this would have been torture without the device and no problem at all with it, given that the rifle only weighs 8 3/4 pounds.

After I had settled on a load, I hardly used it at all, since my practice was with lower powered lead bullet loads and the jacketed bullets were too rare and expensive to waste on targets and tree stumps."

And his custom wildcat .505 it was built for:

And best of all, results {!!!}!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Re: Lead sled and stocks [Re: 9.3x57]
      #105657 - 20/05/08 11:18 AM

i grew up in se pennsylvania and hunted in a shotgun only area i shot a 12 gauge 1100 with a 3-9 scope and shot it off the bech to see which loads worked best boxes of shell burned i never used a sled did not tink it was that bad as the same for the 300wby 375 h+h 9.3 x74R AND THE 470 I GUESS I AM WIERD i dont seem to be that taken by recoil.i say shoot what ever you need to and from what ever you need to some wise men here once told me never to shoot from a rest like a bolt they are differant.and thats what i abide by these guys know more than i do even the pictures of european rests are differant than we are use to you shoot standing up.but why shoot somethimg you are afraid of just drop lower till you find your comfort level i have shot all my live i know where the bullet will go and i admit i do think i shoot a rifle better than most people but that came wit the burning of pounds of powder fron differant positions.i have people who have been with me have seen me shoot slugs and kill deer at 200+ not bragging just did it i knew where that slug would hit.i have heard horror stories what those things have done to stocks not my beloved and valued doubles you are more than welcome to roll the dice might damage stock might not there are plenty of good stock makers out there.

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Lead sled and stocks [Re: bwananelson]
      #105668 - 20/05/08 02:50 PM

"I GUESS I AM WIERD"

Agreed.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Lead sled and stocks [Re: xausa]
      #105703 - 21/05/08 01:57 AM

Mike, I'd like to also add my thanks. For me this post was most timely.

I highly respect Xausa's and Ripp's views on this stuff and their endorsements are just what I need to get started with a project or two of my own.

Regarding zero, here's a thought...

I have noticed over the years different zero depending on bench and hand hold. I rarely shoot from the bench, and I am wondering something about these rests as opposed to my own admittedly mediocre bench technique. When shooting on my Lead Sled the other day, I noticed the rear of the butt can be set against the rest and the bottom of the butt need not be held down on a bag, etc. Maybe that's why there is no zero change reported by rest-users even with two-piece stock rifles, because the gun comes straight back under recoil? I don't know, but plan to investigate further.

Makes a darn good rest for shooting ground squirrels, that's for sure. With the brush leafing out and the grass growing, a hair here and a hair there is all I see of them now, so I'll take any help I can get...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #105706 - 21/05/08 02:37 AM

I'm not convinced I need a lead-sled to protect me from the recoil produced by guns heavier than I should be shooting. My feelings are if I need a recoil eliminating rest, then the gun is too big for me and I will not shoot it well.
; An animal on the ground to prove a piece of machinery doesn't sit well with me. It's not proof of anything, you see, I have guided and still do on occasion and I pack an accurate, hard hitting rifle - it's not only for bear protection but to stop or kill wounded animals.
; This shot didn't require a lead sled - nor a follow-up shot to kill the crip.
;

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Bill_Cooley
.300 member

Reged: 14/12/06
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Re: Lead sled and stocks [Re: DarylS]
      #105751 - 21/05/08 12:30 PM

Daryl,
Good shooting!!! I am glad you were able to effect a proper brain shot with a rifle of Sufichant energy to get full cranial penetration. We all know how dangerous they can be when wounded especially when they are in rut.
Bill

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Lead sled and stocks [Re: Bill_Cooley]
      #105792 - 22/05/08 12:41 AM

Yeah - the camo coat is for sneaking the bench up to within 400 yards of the ruddy critters.
: Judging by the exit and entrance holes, there was some minor cavitation produced by the bullet.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Spring
.300 member

Reged: 01/04/04
Loc: Georgia
      #105805 - 22/05/08 03:49 AM

While I appreciate all of the analogy of why a Lead Sled should be such a “no no” for double rifles, my experience just hasn't matched up with that. Now I don't load my Sled down in an effort to eliminate my 470's recoil, but when it comes to an attempt to determine a load that will really tighten up a shooting group, I think reduced recoil can be very helpful.
I have had no problems with the perils of cracked stocks, poor regulation, or a differential in shooting precision when stepping from the Sled to sticks. The gun shoots fine and consistently as far as I can tell, and the process of getting it to that point is much more pleasurable.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Lead sled and stocks [Re: Spring]
      #105812 - 22/05/08 05:53 AM

Good point, Spring. An interesting thread.

It is always easy for hobbiests to criticise the use of this gizmo or that, but I find it very interesting to read here {and the other post on bench shooting} that the Brit and Continental gunmakers use supports of one ilk and persuasion or another, recoil-reducing or not.

The truth is, when money is on the table, screwing around with sport goes right out the window. Fun is fun, but money is money. I can relate.

For myself, I had 30,000 trees we planted and two stockpond dikes threatened by little diggers, and I have made every attempt to eliminate "sport" from my efforts to eradicate them. Poison was contemplated except for cost and water concerns. After a logged-in 593 kills in the 100 acre part of the ranch here where these activities have gone on, I believe I may be rounding the bend. I hope so. In smaller colonies elsewhere on the place I was able to erradicate them entirely, but this one has been a challenge and may continue to be due to migration from a neighboring ranch.

Relevant to this thread, I suspect a few more kills might have been made had I used this sled thing from the git-go. It is a good, solid rest. Maybe not, as my rest affair, tho crude, has worked reasonably well and is as unsporting as I could possibly make it.

My homegrown affair has been retired tho, and I'm glad to have the Caldwell sled that has now taken its place. To those who need a portable and very solid rest for shooting similar to what I do here, I can heartily recommend it.

--------------------

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
      #105818 - 22/05/08 07:44 AM

Quote:

While I appreciate all of the analogy of why a Lead Sled should be such a “no no” for double rifles, my experience just hasn't matched up with that. Now I don't load my Sled down in an effort to eliminate my 470's recoil, but when it comes to an attempt to determine a load that will really tighten up a shooting group, I think reduced recoil can be very helpful.
I have had no problems with the perils of cracked stocks, poor regulation, or a differential in shooting precision when stepping from the Sled to sticks. The gun shoots fine and consistently as far as I can tell, and the process of getting it to that point is much more pleasurable.

Yeas reducing recoil cant be a bad thing, and nowone can tell me that it will affect the regulation.
If it could, a rifle built and fired by me at 75kg couldnt be fired accuratly from my friends shoulder as he is at 125kg. So if i add the deadweight of his upperbody to mine preferably at my right shoulder the recoil would be lesser, wouldnt it? Now how would i do that, he would probably miss his shoulder so lead foil wrapped around mine perhaps or even better a hotdog made of a innertube filled with shotgun pellets. And to stick it to by shoulder i would build a rest that allows me to place it infront of my shoulder and the stock against it. Also my left hand would rest on the it together with my elbows, and the whole thing should allow me to shoot standing up. And prefeably it could collapse into the boot of a car not beeing to heavy to carry. Damn, now i need to build a rest to see if i works.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #105886 - 23/05/08 04:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yeas reducing recoil cant be a bad thing, and nowone can tell me that it will affect the regulation.
If it could, a rifle built and fired by me at 75kg couldnt be fired accuratly from my friends shoulder as he is at 125kg. So if i add the deadweight of his upperbody to mine preferably at my right shoulder the recoil would be lesser, wouldnt it? Now how would i do that, he would probably miss his shoulder so lead foil wrapped around mine perhaps or even better a hotdog made of a innertube filled with shotgun pellets. And to stick it to by shoulder i would build a rest that allows me to place it infront of my shoulder and the stock against it. Also my left hand would rest on the it together with my elbows, and the whole thing should allow me to shoot standing up. And prefeably it could collapse into the boot of a car not beeing to heavy to carry. Damn, now i need to build a rest to see if i works.

450_366 It isn't the weight that the rifle pushes against that causes the rifle to not shoot to it's regulation! It is the fact that the rifle is not allowed to recoil in it's normal dirrections for each barrel! By this I mean the rifle held in the hands, and placed against the shoulder, and fired is free to recoil in the dirrections it does when regulated by a human!

Contact with hard surfaces, causes the natural arch of the recoiling rifle to change, thous changing the POI on the target. The forestock resting dirrectly on the sand bag and fired will not give the same result as the forestock being held by the shooter's hand. The reason the LS is not good for use with a side by side double rifle is the rifle is not allowed to recoil UP, and to the SIDE, because the butt is jammed down into the fixture being held bottom, and both sides! This not only destroys the ability of the rifle to follow it's normal path of recoil, but places a strain on the wrist of the two piece stock.

You can rest the rifle on a sand bag up front, but your hand needs to be between the rifle, and the sand bag, and gripping the for barrels. Standing or sitting at a bench is OK, but the rifle should be held in the hands, and touching only the face, and shoulder, however the back of the forehand, and the elbows can be rested on the bench. It makes no difference if the bench is a standing, or sitting, as long as the rifle doesn't touch anything other that the shooters hands, face, and shoulder! The reason the factories use standing benches for the regulation is to reduce felt recoil for the shooter, who somtimes shoot 100 rounds per day with several different heavy recoiling rifles. However, you will never see a factory regulator resting a side by side double rifle dirrectly on a sand bag. I fail to see what is so hard to understand about that!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Spring
.300 member

Re: Lead sled and stocks [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #105890 - 23/05/08 05:16 AM

Quote:

The reason the LS is not good for use with a side by side double rifle is the rifle is not allowed to recoil UP, and to the SIDE, because the butt is jammed down into the fixture being held bottom, and both sides!

You can rest the rifle on a sand bag up front, but your hand needs to be between the rifle, and the sand bag, and gripping the for barrels. Standing or sitting at a bench is OK, but the rifle should be held in the hands, and touching only the face, and shoulder, however the back of the forehand, and the elbows can be rested on the bench. It makes no difference if the bench is a standing, or sitting, as long as the rifle doesn't touch anything other that the shooters hands, face, and shoulder! I fail to see what is so hard to understand about that!

I appreciate your thoughts, but when I see my gun shoot just the same whether on the Sled or on the sticks, I guess that's why I don't buy into all the criticism of the thing.
Possibly the reason that it's not the culprit some logic suggests is that you said a double rifle needs to be able to “recoil UP, and to the SIDE." Well, with my Lead Sled it does all of that just fine. The gun is not constrained onto the Sled in any way; it recoils upward when firing, and can flex as needed since the forend is resting in my hand when in the Sled. The Sled is simply heavier than a conventional gun rest--it just reduces (not eliminates) the gun's ability to slam back the rest as easily as it might a lighter one. Just as a larger man might have more body weight to handle recoil as compared to a child, the Sled does not stop recoil or constrain the gun's natural movement; it just handles it with greater ease.
Your thoughts on constricting barrel movement when it’s being fired certainly make sense, but knowing that the Lead Sled doesn’t do that, I’m thinking the condemnation might be a bit overblown.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#105896 - 23/05/08 07:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The reason the LS is not good for use with a side by side double rifle is the rifle is not allowed to recoil UP, and to the SIDE, because the butt is jammed down into the fixture being held bottom, and both sides!

You can rest the rifle on a sand bag up front, but your hand needs to be between the rifle, and the sand bag, and gripping the for barrels. Standing or sitting at a bench is OK, but the rifle should be held in the hands, and touching only the face, and shoulder, however the back of the forehand, and the elbows can be rested on the bench. It makes no difference if the bench is a standing, or sitting, as long as the rifle doesn't touch anything other that the shooters hands, face, and shoulder! I fail to see what is so hard to understand about that!

Your thoughts on constricting barrel movement when it’s being fired certainly make sense, but knowing that the Lead Sled doesn’t do that, I’m thinking the condemnation might be a bit overblown.

I never said the LS restricts the side recoil of the barrels, but if the hand is not holding the barrels, as if shooting off hand, the the side, and up recoil is exagerated, and the resting of the toe of the butt on anything, be it bag, or the bottom of the butt fixture of the lead sled, is detremental to a S/S double rifle's shooting to the regulation of the rifle! As long as you hold the foreend, the thing that is a problem with the side recoil is that it causes torque on the butt stock because of the sides of the LS's butt fixture restricts the side recoil enough to strain the weakest part of the butt stock, the wrist. I have one of the lead sleds, and with a bolt rifle it works fine, because the rifle only recoil up and back. Addtionally, if you shoot a heavy recoiling S/S double rifle off sticks, without holding the fore-end it will not regulate properly either! I have zero problem with the lead sled with an O/U double rifle, or any bolt/single shot rifle. However it is not designed to be used with a s/s double,especially for the regulating process, nor is any other mechanical rest, unless the rifle is held as if being shot off hand! You, or anyone else may do as it pleases you, the rifles used in that case are yours! My S/S doubles will not though!

People seem to think they can bypass the tried, and true method of regulation of a barrel set, by the use of some fixture, or jig, and it will not work, for anything other than getting a starting point, at close range. For the building of a barrel of sets for double rifles ,every short-cut, ever thought up, has been tried, and none will negate the old method. This is what 450_366 is attempting to do, and I say, lead sled, or jig, it simply does not not work well with S/S double rifles!

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
      #105899 - 23/05/08 08:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I never said the LS restricts the side recoil of the barrels, but if the hand is not holding the barrels, as if shooting off hand, the the side, and up recoil is exagerated! As long as you hold the foreend, the thing that is a problem with the side recoil is that it causes torque on the butt stock because of the sides of the LS's butt fixture restricts the side recoil enough to strain the weakest part of the butt stock, the wrist. I have one of the lead sleds, and with a bolt rifle it works fine, because the rifle only recoil up and back. Addtionally, if you shoot a heavy recoiling S/S double rifle off sticks, without holding the fore-end it will not regulate properly either! I have zero problem with the lead sled with an O/U double rifle, or any bolt/single shot rifle. However it is not designed to be used with a s/s double,especially for the regulating process, nor is any other mechanical rest, unless the rifle is held as if being shot off hand! You, or anyone else may do as it pleases you, the rifles used in that case are yours! My S/S doubles will not though!

People seem to think they can bypass the tried, and true method of regulation of a barrel set, by the use of some fixture, or jig, and it will not work, for anything other than getting a starting point, at close range. For the building of a barrel of sets for double rifles ,every short-cut, ever thought up, has been tried, and none will negate the old method. This is what 450_366 is attempting to do, and I say, lead sled, or jig, it will not work!

Hey, I only want to learn by my own mistakes.
And i never said that the rifle should rest on anything other than my hand and shoulder, i wasnt refering to the LS. Only that i would add weight to my shoulder, or actually between my shoulder and but. And that i cant see how it wasnt suppose to work.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#105901 - 23/05/08 08:53 AM

Quote:

Hey, I only want to learn by my own mistakes.
And i never said that the rifle should rest on anything other than my hand and shoulder, i wasnt refering to the LS. Only that i would add weight to my shoulder, or actually between my shoulder and but. And that i cant see how it wasnt suppose to work.

................And that makes sense! The same effect, as the lead sled, without the detremental aspects of the lead sled, can be had by useing a ruck sack with a long strap. Place the weight inside the bag, and place the bag on the bench, with the strap between you and the butt of the rifle. When the rifle is fired the recoil pulls the bag back with the rifle, and your shoulder. With the elbows rested on the bench, and the fore-hand resting on a sand bag holding the rifle as if shooting off hand, no strain is trasmitted to the rifle at all,and it is as free to recoil any way it wants, but still lessens the felt recoil for the shooter, and does nothing to interfere with the shooting to the rifle's regulation! It is the same prencible,as the lead sled, but leaves the butt of the rifle only touching the shoulder, not resting on the hard bottom of the butt slot in the lead sled. I've used this for years while performing the regulation of barrel sets on large chamberings like the 577NE, to reduce the recoil, without a problem. My regulation will consistantly place two shots out of each barrel for a four shot composite group that will stay on a standard playing card @ 50 yds, without crossing!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
      #105905 - 23/05/08 10:29 AM

First is to say that I do not own a double rifle yet. However I just sighted in my M77 .458 lott on a lead sled with two bags of shot in it. The padding on the Butt area of the rest and the buttpad (not to be confused with a recoil pad by any stretch of the imagination!) seem to buffer the shock of the recoil very well. I know a bolt action rifle etock is much stronger inherently than that of a double. I don't think I would risk a double rifle stock shooting from one. It did work very well sighting my bolt gun. It is a Godsend for that purpose. I placed my rifle on the rest in a way that I could grasp the forend with my left hand much as I would shooting offhand. This was comfortable and aided control. I think the lead sled is a useful tool when properly used. I like mine. These days two bags of shot cost as much as the rest itsaef though.

--------------------
One day at a time...

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Lead sled and stocks [Re: bigmaxx]
      #105907 - 23/05/08 11:53 AM

9.3x57

If you need any help let me know. I promise not to shoot any irrigation pipes, tractors or cows.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Lead sled and stocks [Re: mickey]
      #105916 - 23/05/08 02:30 PM

Dugaboy and others...

How about a "for science" experiment?

Take your double to the range and shoot, say, three, three-shot groups at 100 from each of the following shooting positions:

1} the bench using the "proper" hold

2} the normal bench method "improper" hold

3} if you have one, a sled or other fixed rest

4} from sitting on the ground or kneeling, whichever you find most accurate

All this theory is fine, but it would be very interesting and helpful for the theory to be demonstrated in fact. I would be delighted to do so but I do not own a double.

The assertions here should be easy to show on paper and would be very informative.

--------------------

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #105927 - 23/05/08 05:58 PM

Dugaboy1, sorry for being a thickie. Can you explain the rucksack idea as it sounds like a good one but I can't quite envisage the setup. weight is in the rucksack, you are sitting at a bench, rucksack on table, strap of rucksack around butt then butt into shoulder ? strap taut so when gun recoils it pulls against the rucksack ? Is this right ? best, Mike

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
      #105938 - 23/05/08 09:39 PM

Having built a steel skateboard affair with L bracket to hold butt, I have seen evidence that such things really can wreck stocks, especially if the wood is a bit cheesy and too much lead is loaded. I think the human has to take some of the recoil, at least. I like Dugaboy's rucksack idea and have already made mechanical efforts along those lines (can't say too much yet). You are probably right about the sensitivity of db rifles but if this hands-on need were absolute, every owner would have to regulate his own. For instance, a tall thin man would not be able to set up a rifle for a short fat man.

Cheers
- Paul

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Lead sled and stocks [Re: Paul]
      #105942 - 23/05/08 10:42 PM

Mickie, sorry I missed you. Sure! Hot days in April when the males are out in force and before the grass and brush grows are the best on my place. We got a late start this year due to snow but shot near 100 in April, and now we are at 100 even for the year. Slow 1's and 2's from here on in. Quite literally, the varmint rifle gives way to light .22 stalking rifle, shotgun, and even pistol from here on out.

I have no doubt that a stock CAN be broken in a solid unmoveable rest. As stated, witness military problems with rifle grenades and rifles. I suspect a lot has to do with the stock.

I would not want to shoot a rifle with a hard, horn buttplate or something similar from an unmoveable rest that had no padding or give to the rest. Seems obvious. But it seems that the use of these things successfully by many involves the incorporation of a few common-sence protections against breakage; padding for the butt and/or recoil pad, allowing the rest to give, etc.

As for zero, I would sure like to see somebody shoot my experiment.

Like Paul, my hunch is that it this sort of stuff sounds clearcut in theory but will vary from gun-to-gun, even including doubles. I bet there are some doubles out their that exhibit all the "theoretical" characteristics, and some that don't, and some in the middle. I always enjoy putting theory to the test, which has prompted me to do a lot of shooting monkeybusiness. I hope we have another fellow gun nut here that could expose the realities of this issue. would be fascinating to see it on paper.

--------------------

bipbigbore
.224 member

Reged: 06/10/05
Loc: USA
      #105945 - 23/05/08 11:26 PM

All,

I have a lot of experience with the Led Sled. I have been using one for about 5 years and have fired thousands of rounds from it. I use it for magazine rifles, but have never tried my double from it.

I have fired everything from .223 to .458 Lott from the sled. I have seen no change of POI. I have never broken a stock. I have, however, broken some scope bases. there is no doubt that shooting from the sled increases stress on the gun, because it has no where else to go. I consider the sled an excellent tool for assesing the overall strength of a shooting system. If it can hold up on the sled, you have a good reliable kit that is ready to hunt!

Spring
.300 member

Re: Lead sled and stocks [Re: bipbigbore]
      #105961 - 24/05/08 02:58 AM

Quote:

All,

I have a lot of experience with the Led Sled. I have been using one for about 5 years and have fired thousands of rounds from it. I use it for magazine rifles, but have never tried my double from it.

I have fired everything from .223 to .458 Lott from the sled. I have seen no change of POI. I have never broken a stock. I have, however, broken some scope bases. there is no doubt that shooting from the sled increases stress on the gun, because it has no where else to go. I consider the sled an excellent tool for assesing the overall strength of a shooting system. If it can hold up on the sled, you have a good reliable kit that is ready to hunt!

Myabe I'm just crazy but I have used a Lead Sled for years with a double rifle and for me it works just fine. Maybe it's because I don't overload the Sled with lead but only moderate the recoil, or maybe with some guns the concern about a completely unrestricted butt plate is more of an issue on paper than in reality, but from the experience of using a double rifle and a Lead Sled in a modest way, I just don't see the reason for this degree fear. My gun shoots great both on and off the Sled. Maybe my gun is a fluke, and maybe I'm whacko, but I just haven't had any problems and find the Sled very useful.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 96 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9005

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com