Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Let's have some fun.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
Re: Let's have some fun. [Re: 500Nitro]
      #143647 - 14/10/09 01:35 PM

It would be nice to have a better shot of the engraving, but I suspect you're right about the quality.

As to the photos generally - I personally like to see classic guns photographed in natural light with no efforts to enhance the photo. I feel pretty much the same about restorations. The more one does to 'enhance', the worse, in my view.

A final thought about the website: the prices are exorbitant. $40K for a .416 Rigby bolt rifle (down from $50K apparently). These are great classic rifles of course, but I think $25K for a nice example is more like it. Maybe $30-35K if it's untouched in the original packing carton, and there can't be many of those with only 135 or so ever made (prewar).

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Let's have some fun. [Re: mckinney]
      #143649 - 14/10/09 01:41 PM

mckinney

the best way to photograph guns IMHO is outside on a Bright but cloudy day - that way you get the Natural light but not the "spot" from a bright sun.

Re pricing, I think a few web sites in the US have prices that are so far over the top it's not funny.

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #143650 - 14/10/09 01:43 PM

Quote:

A final thought about the website: the prices are exorbitant. $40K for a .416 Rigby bolt rifle (down from $50K apparently). These are great classic rifles of course, but I think $25K for a nice example is more like it. Maybe $30-35K if it's untouched in the original packing carton, and there can't be many of those with only 135 or so ever made (prewar).

Agreed. The prices are fantasy.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
      #143652 - 14/10/09 01:57 PM

yes, completely agree on the cloudy day.

BTW, one US site with pretty decent photos is www.drake.net as you probably know. Their prices are shocking, but some of the stuff is lovely - prewar Boss 28 bore over/unders with beautifully understated gold inlays, classic British double rifles, that sort of thing.

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
      #143656 - 14/10/09 02:51 PM

what a bunch of cackling old farts we are that is a nice rifle.the case is done frone one large croc or alligatof thats prime belly hide.price wise its all in what a man wants to spend this is a job well done ,well presented.so some dont like it,the beauty is as one sees it.would you not want that in your collection if you could.i would not know not being rich and never owning the top percent of goods but the owner of this must be proud a master piece of wood and metal.i dont like picaso's but some people pay millions for that monkey scribble,i favor realism.he has done well to get that piece of history

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #143661 - 14/10/09 05:36 PM

Quote:

Considering how much was spent on the engraving, I am surpirsed they don;t have a detailed close up of it
unless of course they are trying to cover up that it is not very good.

The gold inlay is quite well done IMHO.

500 Nitro

I think you are spot on in that they are trying to hide engraving that would not justify the price by enhancing the engraving past seeing the detail.

I do disagree on the quality of the inlay. I don't think any of the animals are particularly well done. If you can't do all of the animal well than you should not try and do any of it. I refer to the eyes in particular and the general look of the animals in general.

As for having a plain rifle engraved to make it more valuable I see nothing wrong. I do believe that engraving should be in the style of the period but changing it's design and adding some bling can make for a nice looking and higher priced rifle. Doing it poorly, as I believe this to be, detracts from the value as well.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Let's have some fun. [Re: mickey]
      #143664 - 14/10/09 06:01 PM

Mickey

I believe you own a 450 Nitro double purchased in Australia.

That was "done up" and quite well I thought.

An example of the opposite end to this one don't you think ?

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Re: Let's have some fun. [Re: mickey]
      #143674 - 14/10/09 08:47 PM

Quote:

Was the engraving done to camouflage previous damage from pitting or buffing etc?

I hope so. At least there would be some justification that way.

Quote:

As for having a plain rifle engraved to make it more valuable I see nothing wrong. I do believe that engraving should be in the style of the period but changing it's design and adding some bling can make for a nice looking and higher priced rifle.

Sure. I've seen a few "upgrades" on rifles like this done by Ken Hunt that were lovely. Again, as long as the quality of the work at least equals original maker standard, and "fits" the rifle, I agree there's no issue.

I agree about the pictures. From what I can see of the engraving though, it really looks bad to me. Obviously, the action was annealed to re-engrave, and certainly no way to tell from the photos if it was re-hardened afterwards. The possibility that it might still be soft would make me nervous until I had it tested.

--------------------

Anonymous
Unregistered

#143700 - 15/10/09 02:25 AM

Quote:

Jack has some very hi profile clients, fairly new to him, [hedge fund types] that have been paying very high prices for his inventory. I noticed this has prompted him to inflate his offerings to accommodate their incredible thirst for high priced investment goods. Some of which however have not moved on his list like he expected.. They usually go with the most expensive item, though in my opinion they have no real knowledge of what there buying. They have spent many millions with him and with Barnett as of late.

However, with a little persuading a deal can usually be had with Jack you just need to know how to make a deal with him. I have always done well.

I agree the asking prices are unreal, but so is what he takes guns in at, so sometimes its a wash.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Let's have some fun. [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #143701 - 15/10/09 02:31 AM

Quote:

Sorry you're offended. I'm sure it wouldn't bother you for someone here to regularly tell you how ignorant, warped, and narrow-minded you are for being a British double rifle enthusiast. Probably shouldn't bother me either, but zimhunter (zimbabwe on AR) has been at it for a long time. I finally got a little annoyed, but I thought I was quite civil with him, considering.

Apologies mate, I hadn't an idea of the circumstances and was referring in general terms. I would be annoyed as well given those facts.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Let's have some fun. [Re: ]
      #143724 - 15/10/09 04:35 AM

Quote:

[Jack has some very hi profile clients, fairly new to him, [hedge fund types] that have been paying very high prices for his inventory. I noticed this has prompted him to inflate his offerings to accommodate their incredible thirst for high priced investment goods. Some of which however have not moved on his list like he expected.. They usually go with the most expensive item, though in my opinion they have no real knowledge of what there buying. They have spent many millions with him and with Barnett as of late.

However, with a little persuading a deal can usually be had with Jack you just need to know how to make a deal with him. I have always done well.

I agree the asking prices are unreal, but so is what he takes guns in at, so sometimes its a wash.

generalwar, I had to laugh when I read the passage in your post that I placed in BOLD print.

The reason is, my late mother was a very skilled oil painter, and did many collector quality paintings over the years. One of her clubs held an art show in a very upscale area of the city. None of my mother's paintings sold, yet some very amature work latterly flew off the tables. A well known artist asked my mother if she understood why her paintings didn’t sell, to which she replied that no she didn't know why.

He told her that her paintings were best of the collection on display that day, and the reason her paintings didn't sell was because the people attending didn't know anything about art, and only bought the highest priced items, thinking the price indicated quality. He wrote down a list of prices for each of her paintings for her. On the next show in that area, she sold out the first half day of the show.

So though sometimes price does indicate quality, many times it is camouflage to pander to those who know no better. I believe this is the case with this rifle.

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

jcorry
.275 member

Reged: 09/03/08
Loc: West Coast of Ireland & London
Re: Let's have some fun. [Re: bwananelson]
      #143726 - 15/10/09 04:54 AM

Quote:

what a bunch of cackling old farts we are that is a nice rifle.the case is done frone one large croc or alligatof thats prime belly hide.price wise its all in what a man wants to spend this is a job well done ,well presented.so some dont like it,the beauty is as one sees it.would you not want that in your collection if you could.i would not know not being rich and never owning the top percent of goods but the owner of this must be proud a master piece of wood and metal.i dont like picaso's but some people pay millions for that monkey scribble,i favor realism.he has done well to get that piece of history

Are you on drugs?

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: Let's have some fun. [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #143729 - 15/10/09 05:14 AM

Quote:

So though sometimes price does indicate quality, many times it is camouflage to pander to those who know no better. I believe this is the case with this rifle.

The funny thing is if you give it some time those who bought the up priced whatever, will be the ones that sets the standard for quality on these items .

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Re: Let's have some fun. [Re: ]
      #143730 - 15/10/09 05:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry you're offended. I'm sure it wouldn't bother you for someone here to regularly tell you how ignorant, warped, and narrow-minded you are for being a British double rifle enthusiast. Probably shouldn't bother me either, but zimhunter (zimbabwe on AR) has been at it for a long time. I finally got a little annoyed, but I thought I was quite civil with him, considering.

Apologies mate, I hadn't an idea of the circumstances and was referring in general terms. I would be annoyed as well given those facts.

No need to. I knew you couldn't know.

--------------------

bwananelson
.400 member

Re: Let's have some fun. [Re: jcorry]
      #143745 - 15/10/09 09:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

what a bunch of cackling old farts we are that is a nice rifle.the case is done from one large croc or alligator that's prime belly hide.price wise its all in what a man wants to spend this is a job well done ,well presented.so some don't like it,the beauty is as one sees it.would you not want that in your collection if you could.i would not know not being rich and never owning the top percent of goods but the owner of this must be proud a master piece of wood and metal.i dont like picaso's but some people pay millions for that monkey scribble,i favor realism.he has done well to get that piece of history

Are you on drugs?

what was that about,all i was saying ones man taste may not be squat to someone else,as far as pictures go if I'm going to spend 40 grand on a rifle I'm flying out and putting my hands on it far better than pictures,the whole package is nice.as far as drugs go no why do you ask i get a kick out of how picky the arguments get that's all there are some very learned people here on this forum but they all have different views and thats good but does not make it gospel

--------------------

jcorry
.275 member

Reged: 09/03/08
Loc: West Coast of Ireland & London
      #143748 - 15/10/09 09:31 AM

Sorry, I see what you are trying to say.....but 'monkey scribble'?? errrr perhaps a bit harsh!

bwananelson
.400 member

Re: Let's have some fun. [Re: jcorry]
      #143751 - 15/10/09 09:43 AM

just trying to illustrate a point.i to never want to offend anyone here we do have a think tank here with no equal on the net

--------------------

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #143801 - 16/10/09 09:28 PM

For the same money (and I haven't seen it) this would appear to be a far more sensible rifle
http://www.champlinarms.com/Default.aspx...&GunID=1438

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Let's have some fun. [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #143803 - 16/10/09 10:07 PM

Has it been re-stocked chaps ? best, Mike

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: Let's have some fun. [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #143807 - 16/10/09 10:53 PM

Quote:

Good question, and the monogram plate? Did they all have them?

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Let's have some fun. [Re: 450_366]
      #143813 - 17/10/09 12:26 AM

Not sure, but this one seems to http://www.gallyon-and-sons.co.uk/882.htm and so does this http://www.cabelas.com/gun-inventory---east-hartford---english-sg---950420-wilkesbx-eh.shtml (the first 2 pics to come up on google!)

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Re: Let's have some fun. [Re: Huvius]
      #143823 - 17/10/09 06:33 AM

Quote:

Boy,
You guys really know how to derail a good opportunity to learn something here.
I don't think 470Evans intended his post to take this path.

I would not put any member of this forum in the "ignorant" pool - let alone put them in league with Nancy Pelosi!
The fact that they are on this site proves that, even if they don't have a voluminous knowledge of Brit doubles, they do have a desire to build on what they do know.
No need for disparagement.

Now, back to the gun at hand.
There is a lot that Pugs leaves out. Such as when, where, and by whom this gun was modified. (forget the "why" - nobody but the man who had it done can answer that)
IMO, worth the ask? No, of course not. Nothing on his site is.
"Better" than an original? Not to me or most others but maybe to some.
Well done? Yes, even if not to a Brit type style or finish.

The way I see it, this isn't too different than the treatment that thousands of Mausers get every year in the custom bolt gun trade. I don't see too many custom type A's being built these days... The primary difference being that the start of the project happened to be a rare and desireable double rifle and not a Mauser.

Let's face it (can't help myself) still better than a CalRigby!

With that last line you did exactly what the rest of us have been trying to tell ZIM! The Cal Rigby is a fine example of what we have been saying. The CA Rigby is in exactly the same boat as the rifle that started this thread. Both are Tarted up imitations of the original, and neither is anyway close to being worth their asking price. Both remind me of corn rows, Gold teeth, and ten pounds of gold chains hanging around the neck of a hip-hop rapper, a look that matches the words that he uses in his GANGSTAH RAP!

400 is right ZIM has been on his case for at least two or three years! I'm sure it is beginning to get a little old. I know it would be with me. There is nothing wrong with Zim liking the rifle that started this thread, but why was it necessary to get angry and slam other who have a different opinion. The fact is the so-called restoration was very poorly done, and the fact that it looks good to some doesn't change that fact.

The original question was "what can be reversed and what would it cost" (Paraphrased). I think all the answers were right on target to the original question. I see no need to condemn anyone for giving an answer to that question. Instead of jumping down the responder's throat because you like the rifle the way it is, Zim should have simply said "I like it the way it is now, apparently others may not!" and be done with it, but it seems that is not his style.

--------------------
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Re: Let's have some fun. [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #143824 - 17/10/09 06:49 AM

Quote:

If you are asking about the rifle at Cabela's, No but is has been refinished after installing a new recoil pad recently, but done properly. If it has been re-stocked, it was a long long time ago!

Just my opinon! If however the engraving on the rifle that started this thread had been done in the style that is on the rifle at Cabela's this thread would have been different all together.

...........................Good hunting

Correction The bold print above was a mistake on my part, and what I was refering to is the link below at Champlin's not Cabelas! Sorry about that, not that anyone saw it anyway, a correction none the less!

http://www.champlinarms.com/Default.aspx...&GunID=1438

--------------------

Edited by DUGABOY1 (17/10/09 12:44 PM)

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Let's have some fun. [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #143825 - 17/10/09 06:51 AM

It's interesting, but I reckon years ago, before Americans started to really like English DR's, those with nice shiny stocks, great figure, superb bluing, nice shiny actions were of more interest to them than anything else.

I know certain people in the UK that used to "tart up" guns (mostly shotguns) for the American market before sending them out.

That was until people learnt that the "understated elegance", flat, matte stocks, dull bluing etc was how they were made and original.

And now one of the first questions people seem to ask is "is it all original, if not, what has been done and has it been done correctly".

Now some of you may disagree with this, I welcome others opinions on the above or an expansion of this theme.

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Let's have some fun. [Re: 450_366]
      #143826 - 17/10/09 06:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Good question, and the monogram plate? Did they all have them?

What are you referring to as the Monogram plate ?

I can't seem to see what you are talking about ?

(Must be blind LOL)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 84 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17733

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com