Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Beretta Double Rifles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
akjeff
.300 member

Reged: 20/01/04
Re: Beretta Double Rifles [Re: NitroX]
      #85344 - 09/09/07 11:42 PM

I think the "Partitions are bad for doubles" is an old wives tale, that keeps getting repeated. I know several people who shoot them in doubles with no problems whatsoever. Also, the rib came off after the Simmons repair, while shooting factory Norma ammo(non H-style). I shot Partitions after the Champlin repair, and the rib stuck to the barrel like bark on a tree.

Granted, I wouldn't shoot mono-solids in a double, but Partitions don't worry me. The 9.3 in particular, as it still has the old style relief groove cut over the partition.

Jeff

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Beretta Double Rifles [Re: akjeff]
      #85349 - 10/09/07 02:34 AM

Thanks Akjeff, that is exactly what I was looking for! I copied your post to WORD, and saved it in my double rifle files. The thing that gives extra credit to this is that the cause was assesed by JJ Paridou. Anything he tells you is golden!

I find,normally,that Beretta firearms are good quality, and I've owned many, many peices made by them, without problem one. Some that are now 50 yrs old, bought new by me. However, any brand can suffer mistakes,and breeches in quality control. After all, the people who work there are only human, and are building assembly line products, till you get to the high end, side by side, double rifles, which are really not made by Beretta at all, and are very over priced, with Beretta's name on them.

The customer service, however, could be better in all Europien, and British firearms makers. I think this is because they have the mind set,that they are insulated by the width of the Atlantic ocean, and only a small portion of their business goes to the USA, so they remain a little aloof, till pressed in a strong way, by the importer.

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #85351 - 10/09/07 02:51 AM

Quote:

I think the "Partitions are bad for doubles" is an old wives tale, that keeps getting repeated. I know several people who shoot them in doubles with no problems whatsoever. Also, the rib came off after the Simmons repair, while shooting factory Norma ammo(non H-style). I shot Partitions after the Champlin repair, and the rib stuck to the barrel like bark on a tree.

Granted, I wouldn't shoot mono-solids in a double, but Partitions don't worry me. The 9.3 in particular, as it still has the old style relief groove cut over the partition.

Jeff

I agree Jeff, there is no reason not to shoot Nosler Partitions in a double rifle! The problems have come from solid Brass mono-metel bullets like the Barnes Super Solids, and the A-square monolithic solids. The north Fork, and GS custom copper bullets, with the presure grouves cut in the solid body of the bullet, to allow the rifleing to engrave the shank, with some place for the displaced metel to go, and OK for double rifles. The partition has only a small section for the ewb between the front, and back, and poses no problems in a double rifle. The Swift A-Frame, is getting close to being too solid in the middle, and I do not use them in my doubles. I do use the NF, GSC, and Nosler Partitions in all my rifles, doubles included!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #85359 - 10/09/07 05:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

No, the Oryx is a conventional bonded core soft. It isn't an H section or solid shank bullet, so no problem there.

400NE

Quote:

... and Nosler Partition bullets ...

But the Nosler Partitions also used as mentioned above are a H section bullet. Maybe you or another could comment on whether this is an issue (ie using H section/solid shank bullets) in double rifles? Thanks.

John:

I strongly believe that some partition type bullets can be a problem. Ross Seyfried has said the same thing. He wrote that he won't use any mono, solid shank, or H section bullet in a double. I've never tried the Nosler in a double rifle, so don't know if they're a problem. Likewise, I see no earthly need to find out - there are plenty of fine bonded core softs available. I did buy some Swift A-Frames once and ended up giving them away rather than using them in the intended double. The center of the H section of that bullet is incredibly hard.

Of course, any solid shank bullet, or any bullet with a particulary hard H section presents essentially the same problem as a mono, as they all resist compression in the bore. Mac is a friend, but I disagree STRONGLY about the use of the so-called driving band monos in a double rifle.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

africa1
.224 member

Reged: 30/05/07
Loc: ohio, USA
Re: Beretta Double Rifles [Re: taw1126]
      #85370 - 10/09/07 11:20 AM

This is an interesting thread. Perhaps it would be helpful for the posters to note the vintage of the dg they own and shoot. This information may be most helpful; eg. older more delicate dg versus new more robust dg. I shoot and hunt with my newer dg, and have no problem with mono nor any other kind of bullets. I am getting the impression from this thread that the older English dg require a lot of tlc and caution regarding bullet content and powder. Is factory ammo a problem with the older dg? Do all the owners of these guns reload? I would really like to know. thanks, I truly appreciate the diverse knowledge and opinons expressed here. I would really like to read more first hand accounts of actual problems and solutions, etc.

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Beretta Double Rifles [Re: africa1]
      #85372 - 10/09/07 12:04 PM

Use the search function to research any problems/questions. The wealth of Double rifle knowledge here is astounding.

I am a Double newbie but have learned much about Doubles by following various threads posted here.

Enjoy!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

akjeff
.300 member

Reged: 20/01/04
Re: Beretta Double Rifles [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #85374 - 10/09/07 12:27 PM

DUGA,

You're quite welcome, and glad the info was of interest.

I absolutely agree that Beretta produces fine guns in general. It was extremely painful for me to sell the gun, as it was a great go anywhere and hunt combo. Snap on the 20ga tubes and shoot ducks. Change out to the 9.3's and moose hunt! But, I don't take being burned lightly, and tend to hold a grudge, so I consigned it. I now have a Simson 12x12/7x65R drilling, that I really enjoy, and the 689 is ancient history. Took the Simson to Kodiak last winter, and got 3 deer, and 2 geese. Great gun!

Regards,

Jeff

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #85390 - 10/09/07 10:16 PM

How about Woodleigh solids ? thanks, Mike Bailey

400NitroExpress
.400 member

#85403 - 11/09/07 02:21 AM

Quote:

This is an interesting thread. Perhaps it would be helpful for the posters to note the vintage of the dg they own and shoot. This information may be most helpful; eg. older more delicate dg versus new more robust dg. I shoot and hunt with my newer dg, and have no problem with mono nor any other kind of bullets. I am getting the impression from this thread that the older English dg require a lot of tlc and caution regarding bullet content and powder.

Nope. As I've said elsewhere on this board, I've seen new doubles damaged with monos and vintage guns used with monos without damage. Vintage has nothing to do with it. In my observation good quality "vintage" guns hold up to shooting volume as well or better than many of the new guns. "Delicate" my ass.

--------------------

africa1
.224 member

Re: Beretta Double Rifles [Re: taw1126]
      #85416 - 11/09/07 09:35 AM

Dear Nitro 400, It would be most helpful if you would post the maker and vintage of the dg that you have personally shot monos and other inappropriate bulets through and ruined. It would be even better to know which mono bullets. Also, what damage was seen on the rifle immediately after the "event". This infomation would help the rest of us without your personal extensive testing know which gun/bullet combinations to avoid purchasing. This would be very, very valuable data. Regards.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #85417 - 11/09/07 10:20 AM

africa

One that was well documented was a Chapuis.

400NitroExpress
.400 member

#85433 - 11/09/07 01:58 PM

Quote:

Dear Nitro 400, It would be most helpful if you would post the maker and vintage of the dg that you have personally shot monos and other inappropriate bulets through and ruined. It would be even better to know which mono bullets. Also, what damage was seen on the rifle immediately after the "event". This infomation would help the rest of us without your personal extensive testing know which gun/bullet combinations to avoid purchasing. This would be very, very valuable data. Regards.

Dear A1:

Your contention seems to be that I have not already done so. It is considered polite for newcomers to a site to review previous posts to avoid needlessly rehashing old ground, or worse, making a statement such as yours. If you had, you'd have known that I've already done so. If fact, we covered some of it in your own string "Re: chrono of factory loads", and it's been a common subject here for years.

I'm far more familiar with the OSR problem, and was introduced to it far earlier, than I would ever have liked to be. I've seen a lot of doubles with it. And yes, I've ruined one myself, although, luckily, it wasn't mine. No, I haven't fired any monos in a double rifle since, and never will. I don't have to get bit twice.

In the interest of helping other DR shooters to avoid the same costly error, I am always more than willing to provide details when the issue comes up. In your case however, feel free to dig them out of the archives yourself.

--------------------

africa1
.224 member

#85443 - 11/09/07 09:54 PM

Dear Nitro, You are a touchy fellow. Your ego appears to be as delicate as your rifles. I do appreciate the information on the Chapuis. One incident? Is that reason to scratch it off of my buy list? No. I did not infer that your information was incorrect, however, I really dislike rumor and innuendo. I find first hand data very useful. If you have some, great. By the way, I did some checking based on the excellent reply you made to my chrono post. I suggest that you drop a dime and really speak with your sources in detail. It seems that the ammo issue is not universal--most things never are. I happen to think that there may have been an evolution in barrel construction-- bore consistency and metallurgy in the last 100 years. I own British guns mde in 1913 that shoot just fine. And I have taken your advice and will not shoot hard hitting new style ammo out of them. Anyway, I am not returning to this post to read anymore. Regards.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Beretta Double Rifles [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #85451 - 11/09/07 10:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No, the Oryx is a conventional bonded core soft. It isn't an H section or solid shank bullet, so no problem there.

400NE

Quote:

... and Nosler Partition bullets ...

But the Nosler Partitions also used as mentioned above are a H section bullet. Maybe you or another could comment on whether this is an issue (ie using H section/solid shank bullets) in double rifles? Thanks.

John:

I strongly believe that some partition type bullets can be a problem. Ross Seyfried has said the same thing. He wrote that he won't use any mono, solid shank, or H section bullet in a double. I've never tried the Nosler in a double rifle, so don't know if they're a problem. Likewise, I see no earthly need to find out - there are plenty of fine bonded core softs available. I did buy some Swift A-Frames once and ended up giving them away rather than using them in the intended double. The center of the H section of that bullet is incredibly hard.

Of course, any solid shank bullet, or any bullet with a particulary hard H section presents essentially the same problem as a mono, as they all resist compression in the bore. Mac is a friend, but I disagree STRONGLY about the use of the so-called driving band monos in a double rifle.

400NE

Thanks for answering my post.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #85452 - 11/09/07 10:55 PM

Quote:

This is an interesting thread. Perhaps it would be helpful for the posters to note the vintage of the dg they own and shoot. This information may be most helpful; eg. older more delicate dg versus new more robust dg. I shoot and hunt with my newer dg, and have no problem with mono nor any other kind of bullets. I am getting the impression from this thread that the older English dg require a lot of tlc and caution regarding bullet content and powder. Is factory ammo a problem with the older dg? Do all the owners of these guns reload? I would really like to know. thanks, I truly appreciate the diverse knowledge and opinons expressed here. I would really like to read more first hand accounts of actual problems and solutions, etc.

africa1,

I know of an example of a DR that is used to shoot monometal bullets such as Barnes X. I have seen comments that they too work fine with no problems. However the rifling is also showing on the outside of this DR's barrels.

No I won't be giving the precise info as it is private.

A lot of threads and posts on this forum give you what you ask. Do a search.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Gerard
.224 member

Reged: 12/06/05
Loc: N/A
      #86115 - 23/09/07 02:40 PM

"Mac is a friend, but I disagree STRONGLY about the use of the so-called driving band monos in a double rifle."

I would be interested to know if this opinion is based on sound technical reasons or whether it is just an opinion, a gut feeling or hearsay.

I have said before: If a double is delaminated or damaged as a result of using GS Custom drive band bullets, GSC will pay for the repair.

We have proved that the lowest barrel wall pressure of all bullet types is found with GS Custom drive band solids and expanding HV type bullets. These bullets are 100% safe to use in all doubles, especially the fragile ones. We even offer custom made bullets for guns that are not exactly on spec with bore and groove sizes at no extra charge.

There is no logical reason for not shooting GSC drive band bullets in any firearm and, specifically excluding them from use in doubles, shows a lack of an understanding of the interaction of bullet with barrel.

Bill_Cooley
.300 member

Reged: 14/12/06
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Re: Beretta Double Rifles [Re: JPK]
      #98403 - 05/03/08 01:36 PM

Quote:

I recall the listing of your rifle also Spring. Almost made a pass but ended up with my Marcel Thys sidelock. You surely bought a nice rifle.

JPK

You know you woulden't like this rifle it is a heavey pigger.470 N.E. Weight 11 1/4 lbs.
Sorrey I just coulden't resist.
Bill

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Beretta Double Rifles [Re: Bill_Cooley]
      #98407 - 05/03/08 02:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I recall the listing of your rifle also Spring. Almost made a pass but ended up with my Marcel Thys sidelock. You surely bought a nice rifle.

JPK

You know you woulden't like this rifle it is a heavey pigger.470 N.E. Weight 11 1/4 lbs.
Sorrey I just coulden't resist.
Bill

You are correct, that is why I bought my Thys, which while a quarter pound overweight, at 10 1/2lbs, was more attractive to me than the A&S/Beretta 470 at 11 1/4lbs.

On the other hand, I did buy an A&S sidelock 375H&H which weighs a more proper for cartidge, to me, 8lbs 10oz.

If only I could afford one of the three new H&H rifles listed by H&H, the 9lb 470, or the 10lb 465H&H or even the 10lb 2oz 465H&H. Either would be the ultimate rifle at the ultimate weight.

Oh, and for a similar price I passed on a left handed H&H 375Flanged because it weighed 10lbs 2oz. (The A&S was less purchase price but more total cost once I paid to have it converted to left hand use.)

JPK

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #98451 - 06/03/08 03:46 AM

Quote:

eg. older more delicate dg versus new more robust dg. I shoot and hunt with my newer dg, and have no problem with mono nor any other kind of bullets.

IMHO it is not just a matter of old versus new, it is a matter of barrel thickness as much as metal strength. At the end of the day, I don't believe that at NE speeds, monometals are really needed when perfectly good FMJ solids are available. At faster speeds I can see the point, but most often this implies bolt rifles with thicker barrels anyway.
At the price of a new H&H or WR, I don't think many will try the new versus old theory either!

JPK
.375 member

Re: Beretta Double Rifles [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #98460 - 06/03/08 05:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

eg. older more delicate dg versus new more robust dg. I shoot and hunt with my newer dg, and have no problem with mono nor any other kind of bullets.

IMHO it is not just a matter of old versus new, it is a matter of barrel thickness as much as metal strength. At the end of the day, I don't believe that at NE speeds, monometals are really needed when perfectly good FMJ solids are available. At faster speeds I can see the point, but most often this implies bolt rifles with thicker barrels anyway.
At the price of a new H&H or WR, I don't think many will try the new versus old theory either!

My experience is 180* opposite. Flat nose mono solids far outpenetrate round nose solids. So at the relatively modest NE velocities the flat nose solids provide a significant increase in effectiveness while the round nose steel jacketed solids out of, say, a 458 Lott or 470 Mbogo rather than a 450NE or 470NE, leave nothing to be desired in the first place and the improved penetration of the flat nose solids is immaterial.

But the former North Forks and current GS Custom flat nose solids are driving band bullets and safe in a double anyway since the shank of the bullet is at or below diameter between lands.

JPK

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Beretta Double Rifles [Re: JPK]
      #98463 - 06/03/08 07:14 AM

I don't doubt it! I was simply questioning whether the extra penetration was needed and worth the risk in DRs. I have not used GS Customs, and I'll have to take your word that they could be safely used in a DR. I have used other monos (Goodnel and Barnes) and FMJs in .458Win bolt rifles, and I can't fault the performance. However, I have only shot Woodleigh FMJs in a DR .500/.465, also with faultless performance. Do I need the extra penetration of a mono? When I shoot an elephant, I'll let you know! I think that more elephant have been shot with FMJs than monos though...

JPK
.375 member

Re: Beretta Double Rifles [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #98499 - 06/03/08 12:17 PM

I have shot more than a few elephants. My double rifle is a 458wm, substitute its performance for the 450NE - actually my 458wm outperforms the 450NE 3 1/4", giving greater velocity with a 500gr Woodleigh solid than the 450NE gives with Woodleigh 480gr solids. Even with the better peformance of my 458wm, greater velocity and greater bullet weight, the additional penetration provided by the flat nose solids is a welcome boost in performance.

For most shots on eles, my 500gr Woodleighs at 2145fps provide sufficient penetration with a margin, but there are shot where more would be welcome and may make the difference. Frontal shots where the ele has it head up, awkward angle frontal brain shots, all heart and lung shots are shots where you wish for more velocity with the round noses than the NE provide, or alternatively, a flat nose solid.

I'll add though that a 450NE with round nose Woodleighs is a well proven commodity. But with elephants, a bit more is welcome and sometimes required.

JPK

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17121

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com