Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Paul Demas DR

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Kalunga
.333 member

Reged: 16/06/06
Loc: Germany
Paul Demas DR
      #79863 - 04/06/07 01:12 AM

A well-known gunsmith told me about double rifles from Paul Demas, he said these guns may be an alternative to the Heym 88B : http://www.demas.fr/pages-fr/gamme-azure-02.htm
Has anybody here in the forum experience with this gun or can tell anything about the craftmanship and quality of Demas rifles ?
Thanks in advance

Kalunga

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: Paul Demas DR [Re: Kalunga]
      #79892 - 04/06/07 05:38 AM

Good working rifles, and they also do hand finished higher grades. Similar concept as Chapuis: the designer of the Demas Azur, also had previously designed the Chapuis double underhook design. Word is he left Chapuis over disputes of quality control, and he went to Demas and came up with the Azur, with three underhooks. They are nice rifles for the price, with better quality control than Chapuis and Merkel in my limited expereince. Their custom shop makes some lovely things, including a back action hammer gun!

Demas was recently bought out by Verney-Carron. Take a look here: www.demas.fr

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Edited by Chasseur (06/06/07 03:52 AM)

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
Re: Paul Demas DR [Re: Chasseur]
      #79989 - 05/06/07 10:31 PM

I agree that this may be a very worthy maker after a glance at their website, although my command of French is just a tad better than my fluency in Martian. Does anyone know if they have a rerpresentative or importer in the United States? Also, what is current availability, wait time, etc? Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: Paul Demas DR [Re: dnovo]
      #80002 - 06/06/07 03:54 AM

No importer that I know of currently.

I've talked on the phone with Paul Demas a few times, seems wait time is par for the course on the basic models (many European shops have them in stock, or a couple of monthes wait time), and then the normal year or so for the custom models. Again, this is rough from a few conversations a couple of years ago.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Singh
.224 member

Reged: 22/02/06
Loc: Grand Rapids,MI
Re: Paul Demas DR [Re: dnovo]
      #80005 - 06/06/07 04:39 AM

Gentlemen,
I believe over on the AR forums there is a poster who posts under kebco,& who is an importer for these rifles.

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Paul Demas DR [Re: Singh]
      #80111 - 07/06/07 10:39 PM

Verney-Carron USA

http://www.verney-carron.us/ is the US importer.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

Showbart
.224 member

Reged: 07/12/06
Re: Paul Demas DR [Re: new_guy]
      #81985 - 07/07/07 02:58 PM

Most stated so far is correct. I'll take it from here to say that I've handled 2 Verney Carron rifles, by Demas, at the Griffin & Howe table at the Houston Safari Club convention this year. I fell for them at first sight on the G&H website and drove from Austin to Houston to feel the rifles. In my limited double experience, but more extensive gun experience, I felt that they were fantastic and worth the $15K price tag. But because I've studied and once spoke some French I also knew, that for now, one could be had for alot less money. I contacted VC and they put me on to G&H and Kebco as having more rifles on order. I wasn't going to pay G&H's price so I contacted Kebco. VC USA is the actual importer for all VC guns even though G&H and Kebco are importers too. It's just easier paperwork for VC that way. VC USA was barely helpful with Demas products but if you speak French and more importantly know gun (double) terminology in French then VC USA will import whatever you want after you order from VC in France. Of course larger orders get you a better price. So VC USA is not the go to company to order a gun. Use Kebco or G&H.

To some extent there may be some very small risk in these guns. They are not known here nor, I think, in Africa. That's another reason I restrained myself and didn't buy G&H's 500 or 470. Cautious investing. And the chance to put one thru the paces. Time won't ever catch up to allow for hunt reports from the bush. It think they'll perform very well. If you must have one right now G&H still has the 470. (Why I don't know!) It's a pimped out beauty that some impatient well moneyed fella should buy. If you're a working man, like me, google Kebco and buy a rifle from him. You'll save some money. There's only more basic models available. Some of us were able to configure ours early on. They came in 450/400, 470, 500 AND...577!! There's a couple/few smaller guns left, no 577's. These guns are on par quality wise with Heym and better than Searcy. Merkel and Chapuis can't compare. Aesthetically they are above all these mentioned. I think they are comparable to Thys and Dumoulin and therefore most English guns as well. Price on these guns will go up some real soon. After a time they will cost much more I think. The 577's were an incredible deal but unproved as Demas has never made one before now. I can't wait for my 470. They are due in the fall with the 450/400's due last. I'm ditching a Merkel 470 ejector on order.

gathumper
.224 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: South GA
Re: Paul Demas DR [Re: Showbart]
      #82698 - 20/07/07 07:11 AM

You can watch video of their production on youtube.com Just search for demas, but you will probably have to search demas double rifle. Its about 4 or 5 minutes long and neat to watch.

--------------------
Isn't that a daisy?

gathumper
.224 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: South GA
Re: Paul Demas DR [Re: gathumper]
      #83268 - 30/07/07 10:53 AM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=s40ERaEFb_Q

that should work.

--------------------
Isn't that a daisy?

BigFiveJack
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/05
Loc: Half hour North of Tampa Bay F...
Re: Paul Demas DR [Re: Showbart]
      #83322 - 31/07/07 03:47 PM

www.kebcollc.com is what I found on google, I went to the site and it's correct.

--------------------
Cordially,
Jack

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS Member

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 57 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6663

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com