Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sad news from the British gun trade

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Sad news from the British gun trade
      #64059 - 15/10/06 03:47 PM

I got to read the latest issue of The Shooting SPortsman at a friend's place today and it had two sad pieces of information to offer. Purdey are due to start outsourcing the production of some models of their guns to Perugini Visini and, secondly, Asprey had to close their gunmaking business down and sell off whatever they had to William Evans.

I have asked for more information about this from the forum of the British gun trade and shall post it here when I hear something. Perugini Visini are very good guns but I cannot believe that Purdey have decided to move production out...

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
OWD
.224 member

Reged: 21/03/06
Loc: New England, USA
Re: Sad news from the British gun trade [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #64066 - 16/10/06 12:23 AM

Purdey is introducing a new, lower-priced O/U. This gun is is being delivered in-the-white to them by P&V.

Purdey will then complete these guns in the UK to their standards.

This O/U is a boxlock and it is not replacing their sidelock O/Us.

As far as I know, Purdey's SxSs and sidelock O/Us are still being made in the UK by Purdey's people.

Asprey was outsourcing their guns to independent guys in the trade. So while Asprey has stopped having guns made, the freelance gunmakers are still producing work.

OWD

--------------------
Obsessed with Doubles

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: Sad news from the British gun trade [Re: OWD]
      #64074 - 16/10/06 07:00 AM

OWD,

Thanks for the information. First Boss with the RObertson guns that are being made for them in Birmingham and now Purdey with guns made for them by Perugini Visini...

I guess the Asprey company's closure is not that bad in a sense as many of the workers would have joined the new William and Son business. That said, whenever a fine name closes down, it is a sad thing.

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
      #64109 - 16/10/06 11:30 PM

Mehul, are Holland and Holland still in business or have they to closed down.I heard that these guns were also being made in Spain.

JTOMLINSON
.300 member

Reged: 16/02/05
Loc: York, England
Re: Sad news from the British gun trade [Re: iqbal]
      #64119 - 17/10/06 01:09 AM

Iqbal

Holland and Holland remain very much in business with a large order book for both best quality shotguns and double rifles. They of course still offer fine magazine rifles but the price has risen steadily in recent times making their best quality magazine rifles a very expensive proposition, especially in the de-luxe pattern.

I have not heard that any of their work is outsourced to Spain and they are still the only maker in England who have facility to make their own barrels on the same site as the guns themselves are built.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: Sad news from the British gun trade [Re: OWD]
      #64132 - 17/10/06 03:10 AM

A gentleman who works for Purdey gave me this link on their website which talks about the new trigger plate shotguns that Perugini Visini would be making for them. A number of people in the UK are very angry about this and point to Boss who have got their Robertson guns made in Birmingham, still in the UK.

Perugini Visini do make superb guns, but, a Purdey should be made in the UK IMHO. But then, my opinion is that of someone who would never be able to afford a Purdey, so what do they care?

Iqbal,

J Roberts gunmakers sell Spanish shotguns in the UK and among other top gunmakers William POwell have a line called the Heritage Series that is amde either in Italy or Spain, I don't recall where. Jonathan and other experts here would have much more information on this.

OT but I posted about a Pakistani gunmaker in the Asian forums and asked you if you knew anything about them. Please let me know what your experience is. Thanks.

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

Preacher
.224 member

Reged: 17/07/06
Loc: Guinea
      #66645 - 09/12/06 11:01 AM

Greetings Mehulkamdar.
You and "a few more" would be amazed about the number of spanish shotguns sold to all of them (meaning H&H, Purdey, W.Richards, etc) since the turn of the XIX century up to even now. In short, Spain has always been their -more or less- secret market. Just search and youŽll find.
Regards

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 192 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2717

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com