Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What is the fastest most dangerous animal charge?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: What is the fastest most dangerous animal char [Re: jscybercat]
      #51429 - 04/03/06 01:23 PM

I have no experience with Leopard attacks but Boddington has experience and makes some interesting points. If I recall correctly he was not impressed by the penetration of buckshot on cats and felt that within 10-12 yds the shot from a SG didn't disperse wide enough to make it any different from a rifle.

Leopard bites invariably become infected and one can become septic and quite ill.In the past many died.I have been told that when they attack they usually don't hit just one hunter but several.Not Good.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: What is the fastest most dangerous animal char [Re: 500Nitro]
      #51443 - 04/03/06 03:43 PM

That's why I have my 12/12/9,3X74R drilling...with two barrels of buck shot...or the 12/12/30-06, for that matter.

Moose look slow, by the way, but they can move right through willows like they aren't there.

I don't think there is anything much quicker than a Leopard's swipe.

Also, I see no lack of speed if using a BAR in getting a second, third or fourth shot off, and indeed, with the less sharp recoil, it may be faster to re-acquire a target.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

jscybercat
.224 member

Reged: 22/02/06
Loc: S.E. Alberta, Canada
Re: What is the fastest most dangerous animal char [Re: luv2safari]
      #51451 - 04/03/06 06:20 PM

I'm thinking that with 15 .32 caliber pellets you'd at least blind or stun the wretched thing. Especially if you give him 2 or three rounds.

That being said the worst thing that ever came after me was good old #5... (freshly calved cow, in the dark, in the fog: ran for my life over the frozen lumps of cow poop. We came to an understanding the next morning though...)

Ndumo
.300 member

Reged: 21/12/03
Loc: Namibia
      #51454 - 04/03/06 06:49 PM

gryphon

i would hate to burst your bubble, but on a leopard charge you would most likely get off only one shot. rather try and make that shot count, than thinking already how fast you can take the first shot, followed by your "lightnig" second shot. 25 yards is an awfullly long charge for a leopard, more like less than 10. i prefer my heavy bolt gun to anything, including shotguns, as i know it will penetrate. most of my colleuges using shotguns, use slugs only, as the ranges that leopard are shot at, the shot does not spread more than an inch. this tightly packed column of shot, is the worst penetrator, so you might just piss off the cat even more. stick to the rifle you know, in my case, my .450 rigby

--------------------
Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris (Pty) Ltd.
karl@huntingsafaris.net
www.huntingsafaris.net
+264 811 285 416

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: What is the fastest most dangerous animal char [Re: Ndumo]
      #51455 - 04/03/06 06:58 PM

hey i agree with the "first shot counts" policy cobber,all too true eh!

heres a pic i just dug up on ebay, from an 1952 Aussie mag cover.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Edited by gryphon (04/03/06 07:00 PM)

Ndumo
.300 member

Reged: 21/12/03
Loc: Namibia
Re: What is the fastest most dangerous animal char [Re: gryphon]
      #51457 - 04/03/06 07:57 PM

what a fierce looking beast! would love to hunt one, someday! one of my clients (new yorker) will be down under hunting one soon...!

--------------------
Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris (Pty) Ltd.
karl@huntingsafaris.net
www.huntingsafaris.net
+264 811 285 416

clark7781
.375 member

Reged: 28/10/04
Loc: Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
Re: What is the fastest most dangerous animal char [Re: new_guy]
      #51515 - 05/03/06 12:01 PM

In reply to:

The worst thing I can imagine facing with a rifle in a "charge" is a Mamba.

New_guy, I couldn't agree more. I think I would soil myself if I were in that tight spot - I hate snakes.

--------------------
Clark

Double Rifle Shooters Society
.500 NE and .577 NE

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: What is the fastest most dangerous animal char [Re: clark7781]
      #51527 - 05/03/06 12:31 PM

Hey guys,

I shot and killed a cottonmouth moccasin with a 9.3x62 one time in Alabama while hunting feral pigs.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

k80
.333 member

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: San Antonio ,Texas, U.S.A.
Re: What is the fastest most dangerous animal char [Re: CptCurl]
      #51546 - 05/03/06 01:32 PM

A cottonmouth from a tree
is a special moment worthy
of any shotgun,even when
the bottom of the boat does
not surrive.

--------------------
Ken
San Antonio

Welcome to South Texas

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: What is the fastest most dangerous animal char [Re: k80]
      #51548 - 05/03/06 02:02 PM

Not a shotgun. One shot kill from a 9.3x62. On the ground. Would have been pretty in a tree though.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
      #51553 - 05/03/06 04:33 PM

FWIW.....This particular PH uses his ordinary carry rifle (.500 Jeffery) on all follow ups whether for cats or otherwise and whether night of day...... the reason for my choice is that I know I'm better with the rifle than with a shotgun. One of the PHs who works for us chooses to use a double barrel shotgun with heavy shot.

Last year we did a follow up on a wounded Leopard together. (at night). We both saw the Leopard at the same time and the shots sounded like one - so don't know who shot first. The shotgun buggered the cats teeth big time and broke his jaw on both sides but whether it would have killed him, I don't know. (but my guess is that it would)

The shot from my rifle entered in his face in line (roughly) with his eye & nostril and exited through his opposite haunch. That was definately a killing shot. The bush was very thick and distance between where we took the shots and where the cat fell was 6 yards.

At the end of the day, it's a matter of personal choice and each PH will make his own decision on that. I don't really think that one firearm is always better than another. It's just individual choices for individual situations.

As to which animal is most likely to stuff you up - I reckon they're all bloody dangerous. Sure, some species are more likely to turn from a charge than others but one could also argue that unwounded animals can also charge so the more animals being tracked (or otherwise) the more dangerous the situation one could also say, it's really more a case of individual animals and individual situations rather than generalities....... In other words, one of the great truisms is that in anything African, one should never say never and never say always.........

Here's a link to the Leopard I mentioned and whilst I'm on the subject, take a close look at the Lion at the bottom of the page and check out the extra hole beneath his left eye.... http://www.kuduland.com/hunting-in-tanzania.htm

One thing that is very true, for this PH at least, is that there's very little more satisfying in life than that soggy thud/death bellow/thud/dying growl etc that means the animal has hit the ground and is dying or dead.....

Here's a picture taken from where we took the Leopard shots and I'm kneeling where the cat fell......a distance of 6 yards. Needless to say, the sling wasn't on the rifle during the follow up.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (05/03/06 05:09 PM)

nitro476
.300 member

Reged: 21/10/04
Re: What is the fastest most dangerous animal charge? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #51988 - 10/03/06 12:06 PM

I would say the Leopard. Not so much from the damage he will inflict but the blinding speed he displays in a charge.

Jake
.224 member

Reged: 24/09/05
Loc: Boise, Idaho
Re: What is the fastest most dangerous animal charge? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #52102 - 11/03/06 06:27 AM

I've been involved with hunting African game all my life. What has amazed me is the lack of a hunter realizing that bullet placement is THE # ONE FACTOR in how fast an animal will go down. A buff can take one hell of a lot of shooting in what we say are 'killing' shots. I hunted with a PH whose job it was to feed a crew of workers building a railroad back in the '40s and '50s. I've stood by him and shot buffs that ran off to die in the tall grass to die moments later when every buff he shot dropped in his tracks. When he told me he'd shot a whole herd of zebra, one after another, and none of them ran off, I raised my eyebrow. He looked at me with a smile and said, "If you drop a zebra instantly, the herd will just stand there and look around. Then you do the same to the next zebra and so on down the line till they're all dead". BUT he said, "If you miss your bang/flop and one takes off running, all the rest will do the same".

Several days later we came onto a herd of zebra and I changed my hold, aiming for the neck where he'd told me to shoot. What he'd said was true. The rest of them just stood there. At the time I was with another hunter and he did the same thing with the same results. Then the PH shot one for leopard/lion bait and there were three dead zebras laying on the ground and maybe a half dozen standing there just looking around.

When I have time I'll tell you what happened with the baits we put out. Till then I'm hoping this dangerous game shooting cools off a bit. I'm relatively new here and am somewhat surprised at how 'testy' discussions become. I've been there and done that but still respect "to a point" another sportsman's point of view. It may not be the right one but there's really no need, IMO, and we all have those, to draw out the swords.

8x56mn
.300 member

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Wine Country, Finger Lakes Wa...
Re: What is the fastest most dangerous animal charge? [Re: Jake]
      #52104 - 11/03/06 07:03 AM

Hey Jake, sounds like you have lived one heck of a good life. I like your philosophy. Please share more!

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: What is the fastest most dangerous animal charge? [Re: Jake]
      #52105 - 11/03/06 08:03 AM

Jake

I agree with you about some herd animals not running straight away.
I have had it happen here with horses and in some cases Buffalo
- drop the first one and they hand around.

Totally agree with the THE # ONE FACTOR.

500 Nitro

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 95 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6563

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com