Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My Holland .500/.465 blew a barrel

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: My Holland .500/.465 blew a barrel [Re: NE450No2]
      #58387 - 06/06/06 07:04 PM

Those of us who know CFA have seen photos of the barrels of his old .465, and George and J. J. have looked it over carefully as well. I don't think any of us believe it to have been a pressure burst (overload, obstruction, etc.). The hole is way too neat for that, and too free of distortion. Either a flawed or damaged barrel.

Some have floated the idea that the pre-WWI nitro proof barrels are automatically suspect. This is based on the premise that most of the rifles that have blown are pre-WWI, thus the steel must have been bad then. For example, of the five rifles that George's clients have had blow, four were pre-WWI (and three were Hollands). I don't find that significant at all. Learn how to date them and go someplace where there are a large number British double rifles. See how many you find that are post-WWI for sure. Of course most that have blown turn out to be pre-WWI, that's when most of them were built.

After monolithic bullets were introduced, many fine doubles were wrecked with them, solid and expanding types both, before the word got around. And of course, the proverbial deaf, dumb, and blind 10 percent are still with us, and probably always will be. A rifle with barrels that have been struck off and re-blacked (as CFA's first Holland was) is nice to look at, but if they were struck off and re-blacked to hide evidence of severe overstressed rifling.....This damage is worst down-tube, where the barrel walls are thinnest. Mick's comment about the barrels bursting in the same place being due to excessive pressure down-tube is not without merit, but I can also see how this might happen with a normal load in barrels that were damaged in this same way. Of the five rifles mentioned above, IIRC, the four pre-WWI rifles blew down-tube. The one post-WWI rifle was a .500 Nitro that blew out the chamber wall while shooting new Westley Richards factory ammo.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
armbar
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/05
Loc: So Cal USA
Re: My Holland .500/.465 blew a barrel [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #58391 - 06/06/06 08:11 PM

400Nitroexpress: Please help me as I am still on the steep end of the learning curve...what does "struck off" mean? I've never heard the term. Thanks, Armbar.

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #58393 - 06/06/06 08:21 PM

In reply to:

A rifle with barrels that have been struck off and re-blacked (as CFA's first Holland was) is nice to look at, but if they were struck off and re-blacked to hide evidence of severe overstressed rifling.....

Nice theory, but surely the "evidence" of any "severe" overstressed rifling would still be present on the portions of barrel located under the ribs.
Did anyone check for this?

In reply to:

I don't think any of us believe it to have been a pressure burst (overload, obstruction, etc.). The hole is way too neat for that, and too free of distortion. Either a flawed or damaged barrel.

Too many eggs going into one basket there for my liking.
When a barrel bursts it does so because the pressure exceeds what the barrel steel can contain.
The question is, was the steel too weak and the pressure ok, or was the the steel ok and the pressure excessive?

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Re: My Holland .500/.465 blew a barrel [Re: 4seventy]
      #58397 - 07/06/06 12:24 AM

Armbar:

"Struck-off" means drawfiling the barrels to remove surface imperfections and old finish.

Alan:

I THINK I see your point, but I'm not sure. No, to my knowledge, the ribs have never been removed from those barrels.

In reply to:

"Too many eggs going into one basket there for my liking.
When a barrel bursts, it does so because the pressure exceeds what the barrel steel can contain.
The question is, was the steel too weak and the pressure ok, or was the steel ok and the pressure excessive."

I believe I answered that in the last paragraph of my previous post.

--------------------

Bwanaclark
.224 member

Reged: 20/05/06
Re: My Holland .500/.465 blew a barrel [Re: CFA]
      #58410 - 07/06/06 04:20 AM

CFA,

I had read that you replaced your .465, hadn’t seen this original thread up ‘till now tho, so I figured it probably wouldn’t be too painful to revisit this. Sounds like you got hold of a real beauty! I hope you have many years of enjoyment using it.

I did my experiments with old and new Kynoch pre-chrono days for me and haven’t repeated them since, but here’s what I saw. I tested a July 1930 lot that was very accurate in my rifle (when they went bang, 40% of the time), sub 2 inch at 50 yards. A later 1967 lot with non-corrosive primers seemed hotter (near worthless anecdote), impacting higher on the target and crossing, still a useful composite group tho. New Kynoch from the late 90’s do not easily fit in my chambers, when I noticed this (tried with barrels off) I quit using them. 2002 and later Kynoch production fits perfectly and is much more accurate, and does seem a lot like the 1967 stuff in terms of elevation. So far, and this has been my only consistent frustration, only cordite loads bring my two barrels to the same elevation using softs. While I’ve been able to work up a few very usable loads with woodleigh softs and modern powders (composite groups under 5” at 100 yards), they all exhibit the 8 o’clock/2 o’clock, right/left pattern. New factory Kynoch make the same type pattern, so I’m starting to believe Woodleigh softs make the difference and not the powder. Neither barrel exhibit any throat erosion btw, the speed difference between the two is negligible.

The net of this long winded ramble is that I personally think the story the barrels tell should be overridden by good velocity data. I’ve noticed the Woodleigh 465 bullets are very different when compared to all the older Kynoch bullets I’ve looked at, and I find it easy to believe they just may not shoot exactly the same at the desirable velocities and pressures of the original loads (and I’m sure you know all this btw). I would be super interested to know what your rifle does with whatever RL -15 load that gets it to ~2100 or a shade under.

I’ve read a lot of opinions, many by people I respect, that you’ve gotta have 2150fps for really good effect on heavy game. I don’t pretend to know what difference it really makes, but I do know what I’ve personally seen. I shot a big Tanzanian bull in the backside with a Woodleigh solid, driven by 98.5 grains of IMR 4831 doing an average of 2020 checked just before the trip, and it went thru him lengthwise after smashing his hip. This was the only solid recovered, bulging in the skin of his neck. I’ll take that.

Bwanaclark
.224 member

Reged: 20/05/06
      #58415 - 07/06/06 05:58 AM

400NE,

I found the short course on Cordite fascinating, thanks very much for sharing the information. I’m grateful I arrived at a good starting load using the RL conversion formula, even tho my understanding of the evolution of Cordite was clearly incomplete. In the end it didn’t hurt to multiple the lowest documented Cordite load I found by 1.19 and back off by 2 grains. Needless to say I completely agree with your methodology.

Btw, do you know of anyone that’s got a good supply of post war 500/465 original Kynoch? I’d like to go thru the exercise I did before over a chrono this time.

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Re: My Holland .500/.465 blew a barrel [Re: Bwanaclark]
      #58418 - 07/06/06 06:28 AM

Bwana:

You're right, it certainly hurt nothing. Much better to start where you did than higher.

For old Kynoch ammo, search the web. Kynoch loaded the .500/.465 regularly until the early 1970s. Stuff that late ususally isn't too hard to find. CFA got two sealed 50 round bricks with his new Holland, from '66 and '67 IIRC. Certainly try Lewis Drake as he usually has a variety of old Kynoch laying around. The latest stuff will be from IMI, as opposed to the older ICI.

--------------------

armbar
.300 member

#58463 - 07/06/06 08:51 PM

Bwanaclark: Where does one find new (late 1990's) Kynoch big bore ammo? Thanks again, Armbar.

armbar
.300 member

Re: My Holland .500/.465 blew a barrel [Re: armbar]
      #58464 - 07/06/06 08:57 PM

400NitroExpress: Thanks for the previous answer, but it leads to another one: How can one determine whether a barrel has been "struck off"? Thanks again, I would imagine that I'm not the only one wondering this! Armbar.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #58469 - 07/06/06 11:41 PM

In the U.S., new Kynoch ammo is distributed by Connecticut Shotgun / Galazan's. A google search will turn up their site.

400NitroExpress
.400 member

#58503 - 08/06/06 10:12 AM

Armbar:

The bottom line answer to the question that I think you're really asking is - no I don't know of any way to determine WHY a set of barrels was struck-off and re-blacked. Worn finish, or something else? If the work was done well, there's no way to tell.

To answer the question you asked - if the barrels of a fine double have ever been re-blacked (and keep in mind that many of these pre-war guns have been re-blacked several times), and if the work was performed correctly, then they've been struck-off, as that is the way it is done.

To refinish the barrels of a fine double, they are very lightly struck to remove the old finish, being careful to preserve the beauty of the original barrel filers work. Some hacks do this with a polishing wheel, which is never acceptable. They are then polished by hand to the desired luster, and rust blued. Again, carding is done by hand, not with a wire carding wheel.

I understand what you're getting at, but I'm afraid there's no way to know.

--------------------

armbar
.300 member

#58508 - 08/06/06 12:11 PM

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. Just something else to be considered (amoung many) when purchasing a vintage double. Armbar.

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
      #58940 - 17/06/06 01:49 PM

Were the tests ever done to determine exactly what occurred when the barrel blew?

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: My Holland .500/.465 blew a barrel [Re: bulldog563]
      #58943 - 17/06/06 06:19 PM

I was at Champlins the end of May. The bbls had not been sent off yet.
I will be back by there about the middle of July.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17827

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com