Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Gentlemen, she regulates beautifully.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Phil_in_the_UK
.275 member

Reged: 30/04/03
Loc: United Kingdom
Gentlemen, she regulates beautifully.
      #28290 - 25/03/05 04:33 AM

Gentlemen, I have just returned from Minsterly Ranges and she regulates beautifully.

It’s taken quite a time to get her fully sorted, the trials and tribulations of sourcing all the “bits” in the UK you would not believe. Waiting for dies, a small car crash, bullets, cases and finally getting the powder she likes (last in the UK so I bought 3 tins), but it’s all been worth it. Horizontally perfect and level to point of aim, just under 1 3/4” at 50 yards, with each of the bullets, left and right going virtually through the same holes. Not bad for a rifle nearing 100 years old.

I’ve been practicing off hand for some time and can drop everything in the 4” at up to 40 yds and most first shots at 50 yds, the second quick shot at 50 yds needs a little work. That’s one of the great things about Minsterly; you can shoot at 10 yards if you want, just so you know exactly where they land if you had too.

I think we’re ready for Africa.

For those of you who don’t recall, she’s a 450/400 3”, 26” barrels, balances like my shotgun, A Hollis, about 1908.

Just had to share this with everyone.

Regards

Phil

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
foxfire
.375 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Long Island N.Y.,
Re: Gentlemen, she regulates beautifully. [Re: Phil_in_the_UK]
      #28292 - 25/03/05 05:00 AM

Sounds like she's a beauty. Good luck with it. Now to go hunting with it.

--------------------
No good deed goes unpunished

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #28303 - 25/03/05 07:14 AM

Phil,

I bet that was a relief!

You must be in the rarefide air of an actual british - british double rifle owner. And even rarer as one who reloads for a DR.

Mine are a .375 H&H and .470 NE, so it was a no-brainer to get them to regulate.

I almost got a webely 450/400 that fit me like a glove, but it was just out of my range so I went with the chapuis 470.

I'm now toying with the idea of a small bore to round out the collection.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Phil_in_the_UK
.275 member

Re: Gentlemen, she regulates beautifully. [Re: bonanza]
      #28304 - 25/03/05 07:38 AM

Hi Bonanza, I can’t tell you how relieved / pleased I am, not quite sure which.

There aren’t that many double users over here but there are a few, I was talking to Simon Clode some time ago and he told me virtually all his double rifles go overseas, particularly to America.

Think I have that bug they warned me about, I’ve seen a beauty in .303, would make a great deer rifle.

Regards

Phil Still smiling

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #28309 - 25/03/05 12:41 PM

Phil

Good stuff. It must be a nightmare not to get a double regulating and have to try many different loads.

Buy that .303 (or another like it) and preserve some in your own country for the future.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
Re: Gentlemen, she regulates beautifully. [Re: NitroX]
      #28335 - 25/03/05 08:34 PM

WTG Phil! Wish you could bring her over to our side of the pond for our Hog hunt in April!

Best regards!

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Gentlemen, she regulates beautifully. [Re: Rusty]
      #28368 - 26/03/05 03:12 PM

Well done, my friend.

You have reminded me of the first range-session with my Jeffery .400, sent up to Darwin for assessment with an option to purchase. Six shots inside 1 1/2 inches at 50 metres with express-sights, and cobbled-up ammo! Sold!

I hope the Hollis brings you as much pleasure and satisfaction as mine has over the years (and everyone-elses' here!).

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

.275 member

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Edmond, OK, USA
Re: Gentlemen, she regulates beautifully. [Re: Marrakai]
      #28396 - 27/03/05 02:38 AM

Has to be a good feeling, Phil. I'm waiting on some Woodleighs and Hawks so I can test my Andrews (450/400 3-1/4"). Very anxious and sure hope it regulates without much trouble, too. Can't wait to take it hunting.

Terry

Phil_in_the_UK
.275 member

Re: Gentlemen, she regulates beautifully. [Re: 1885]
      #28420 - 27/03/05 06:53 PM

Gentlemen, many thanks for your kind words of encouragement.

Rusty, wish I could join you on the Hog hunt, it would be a great opportunity to meet up with like minded folk.

1885, you must slug those bores to determine the exact bore dimensions, a 450/400 3 ¼” will probably take the .408” bullet but don’t count on it, some take a .411” bullet although I have never heard of a 3 ¼” taking the .411” over here. It’s the 3” rifles that seem to mostly take the .411” but again, not all. If you find it takes the .411”, the .408” will not work, I was advised by someone in the industry (not Simon, he advised the .411” but I had problems getting them) who really should know better that a solid of .408” in a rifle needing the 411” would be fine, it is not, 6” low and 7” apart is not fine, you cannot achieve the regulation velocity. The theory he told me was that by all means use the soft .411” in a .411” rifle but for “safety” use a .408” solid so as not to overstress the barrel when using solids. Just how safe would that back up solid be 6” low and 3 ½” off to the left? Just don’t use too many solids through your rifle and the consequences of using a .411” bullet in a .408” rifle doesn’t bear thinking of, so slug those bores.

I found powder critical; Reloaded 15 just didn’t work that well (3 ½” apart) where the IMR 4831 worked beautifully. I don’t know if they allow it at your range or if you can set yourself up somewhere out of the way but if you can reload at the bench as you test each load you will save so much time and costly Woodleighs. You don’t need 3 shots from each barrel to tell you you’re high and apart and need to increase velocity.

Good luck with the Andrews and regards Phil

.275 member

#28424 - 28/03/05 01:44 AM

Thanks for the good information and encouragement, Phil. I have a chance to go on the hog hunt with the guys but don't know if I'll get the Andrews regulated in time to do so.

I did slug the bores and they measured between .407" and .408" on average. So, I think the .408" Woodleighs and Hawks should work well. The Hawk has a soft jacket .025" that should be easy on the bores. I've used it before in my .40-82WCF original model 1895 Marlin with great success. One-shot kill on a seventeen point Whitetail in 2003. It took him in the left front shoulder and ended up just a lump under the skin on the right shoulder. Dropped him right where he stood...never got up.

I had heard that IMR4831 seems to be the powder of choice for the 450/400 3-1/4" with RL15 being a decent substitute. Like most rifles, each has its own likes and dislikes. I'm anxious to see what the Andrews wants. I'm also going to try some XMR5744 with the 300gr. Hawk bullets to see how it works.

I found out a little about C. W. Andrews Ltd. from the Internet Gun Club website and from some folks on this forum. But, not much. Do you know of anyone I could contact that might know more about Andrews...maybe even know where I could locate a copy or picture of their trade label?

I'll report back in after testing the Andrews. Thanks, Phil.

Terry

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
      #28429 - 28/03/05 03:09 AM

RL-15 is my powder powder of choice! You need to use the poly filler. RL-15 is position sensetive.

Please see this article.

Reloading the Nitro Express

Just loaded up a bunch for the hunt!

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

.275 member

Re: Gentlemen, she regulates beautifully. [Re: Rusty]
      #28436 - 28/03/05 07:24 AM

Very good article, Rusty. I see Ross feels that RL15 is "the" powder to use. I certainly intend to use it. J. J. Peradoux, at Champlin Firearms, suggested IMR4831 at about 78grs. I'll probably start with the RL15 and try some 4831, too. I'm really looking forward to testing the Andrews and would love to try it out on some pigs. Roast Porker sounds pretty good. I'll load this week and test this weekend.

Terry

Phil_in_the_UK
.275 member

#28468 - 29/03/05 01:48 AM

Terry

Sounds like you have everything covered; all you need now is for the girl to regulate. I have never come across C. W. Andrews Ltd (any chance of pics); my usual first call is the Internet Gun Club website which you have already tried then the usual trawl of the internet which I am sure you have already tried. I will ask around for you, maybe I will get lucky.

Rusty

I tried Dacron with the RL-15 and I also tried the pre cut foam fillers from Kynamco made specifically for the 450/400, still 3 ½” apart but to point of aim and more or less on the horizontal, left barrel maybe a little low, I think my rifle just prefers the IMR 4831. Great article by the way.

Wish I could join you all on the Hog Hunt.

Regards

Phil

.275 member

#28504 - 29/03/05 10:39 AM

Thanks, Phil, I appreciate any assistance in learning about Andrews. I'm anxious to try it out but am waiting for the Hawk bullets and will try them both. I bought some IMR4831 today but they didn't have any RL15. Hopefully, she'll regulate easily and I can start using it. Let me know how you make out with yours.

Terry

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #28582 - 30/03/05 05:07 AM

IMR-4831 or RL-15 are both excellent powders for the 450-400..I settled on RL-15 because of some so called problems with IMR-4831, that I have to this day been able to substanciate, so put it aside as rumor and BS..but to err on the right side I went with RL-15 anyway

BTW, the world of the double rifle is busting open with myth, black magic, inuendo, and rumor, some even thrive in it...but in reality most of it is nonsence....

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 75 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3676

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com