Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: merkel in 470

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
DOUBLETHEFUN
.224 member

Reged: 21/03/05
Loc: LONDONDERRY,NH USA
merkel in 470
      #28078 - 21/03/05 03:16 PM

Well i'll start by saying hello to all.
I have orderd a mekel 140.2 in 470 from hendershots. The first step in going to africa. Is there anyting in anyones oppinion that i should know about this rifle good or bad. Be gental i know i should have joind and asked this before i placed the order. thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: merkel in 470 [Re: DOUBLETHEFUN]
      #28080 - 21/03/05 03:26 PM

DOUBLETHEFUN,
Welcome, it's great to have you here.
Don't have any first hand experience with the Merkel 470 myself but those here that do know the Merkels, give them a big thumbs up.
Very good value for the money I believe.

JudgeG
.224 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Loc: Georgia Coast
      #28096 - 21/03/05 11:27 PM

I believe you get what you pay for with the Merkel. I had the chance to handle and shoot one often this November when in Zimbabwe. In camp, we had three .470's. My Searcy, the PH's Merkel and another clients Kreighoff.

The Kreighoff was the clunkiest and least accurate. It worked, but didn't seem to be in the same class as the other two.

The Merkel and the Searcy were much better handling and had better triggers, fit and finish, etc. The Merkel was a 1.5" gun at 50 yards, while the Searcy just made big ragged holes where you wanted them to be..

The Merkel, by warranty, I believe is limited to conventional bullets, while the Searcy is built to handle monometal bullets like the Barnes or North Fork. (I know folks who shoot Merkels with the new solids, but I wonder if something happens.. what would Merkel say?)

My only real complaint about the Merkel is the lack of a recoil pad. (Ejectors are individual preference, of course). If the difference in price (about 2K) had been important, I'd be quite happy with the Merkel instead of my Searcy, I'm sure.

--------------------
JudgeG
Old and getting older, I hope. But once I was young.

clark7781
.375 member

Reged: 28/10/04
Loc: Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
      #28100 - 22/03/05 01:08 AM

Doublethefun:

I bought my Merkel (in .500 NE) from Hendershot's too. Lance is a GREAT guy to work with and will go out of his way to make sure you are happy with your purchase.

I'm very happy with my Merkel and eventhough it does not have a recoil pad, you can ship it back to GSI and have one put on.

Happy shooting.

--------------------
Clark

Double Rifle Shooters Society
.500 NE and .577 NE

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: merkel in 470 [Re: JudgeG]
      #28103 - 22/03/05 01:57 AM

Where in the warrenty does is say no monolithic bullets? I read mine and never saw that statement. BTW, I have shot hundres and hundres of barnes bullets in mine.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #28104 - 22/03/05 02:25 AM

In reply to:

The Merkel, by warranty, I believe is limited to conventional bullets, while the Searcy is built to handle monometal bullets like the Barnes or North Fork. (I know folks who shoot Merkels with the new solids, but I wonder if something happens.. what would Merkel say?)

Judge, The Merkel warranty doesn't say anything about the use of Mono-metel bullets in their barrels! However, it is not the best thing one can do to his double rifle. The Chapuis is the one who will not warranty their barrels if Monos are use in them!

The North Forks are the only Mono-metel solids that are safe in all double rifles, IMO. Less metel is displaced on the North Fork mono-metel solid, than on a standard jacketed bullet! The engraveing of the lands never even touches the solid boddy of the bullet, on the North Fork LP, or Cup point solid! It only cuts through the pressure rings.

Butch warrantees his rifles with Monolithic solids, but that is the only maker I know of who "RECCOMENDS" them! I will not shoot regular monolithic solids in any double rifle, even a Searcy, but the North Fork is another matter, intirely!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

jjs
.224 member

Reged: 08/03/05
Re: merkel in 470 [Re: bonanza]
      #28105 - 22/03/05 02:31 AM

I recently purchased a Merkel 470 NE. The Merkel felt and handled very well for me. My gun was regulated for the Federal TB Sledgehammers. The factory representation of the 50 meter target showed a two group measuring less than 1/2".

I spoke with GSI concerning the mono-metal bullets ie Barnes Banded, etc. They basically told me that if the bullet maker suggest they work in Doubles then it would be ok...my loads seem to work very well out of my Merkel...better POI than the Federal stuff and more consistent velocity, etc.

I have been using the new Barnes Banned 500 grain Solids and they shoot as good as I can shoot with open sights! I have been using H4831sc. My Woodleigh Soft load shoots to the same POI with the Barnes Banned....I guess I was lucky from the get go. I will be testing the North Fork Cup Points and Flat Nosed Solids when I can get my hands on them. I expect North Fork to have them available in the next week!!

The only thing I would change about my Merkel.. is possibly putting a recoil pad on it...but the thing shoots so well I hate thinking about changing anything about it!

You will enjoy the Merkel...I certainly do!

mbogo
.224 member

Reged: 21/05/04
Re: merkel in 470 [Re: jjs]
      #28113 - 22/03/05 05:03 AM

JudgeG,

Could you explain what you mean by "big ragged hole where you want them to be" I was thinking about ordering a searcy. Your thoughts.

DOUBLETHEFUN
.224 member

Re: merkel in 470 [Re: clark7781]
      #28116 - 22/03/05 08:52 AM

Lance did send it to gsi for me to install a pad with 15"lop. It should be back to him this week. A freind of mine is waiting for his 500ne. were did you get your brass? Midway is always out.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #28118 - 22/03/05 09:45 AM

DoubletheFun

Good name!

I haven't owned a Merkel but have handled them and would not hesitate to own one. I know a lot of guys own them in Aust as the price is very competitive. They appear to be good value for the price and solid dependable modern double rifles. Certainly the most basic model usually is the best value (ie price vs quality) at the entry level. A recoil pad is an excellent idea.

Most Merkels seem to be sold in the .470 NE calibre so that is also a great choice.

Don't worry about mono-metal bullets, what is the hang up with the use of these anyway? (I know the reasons not to use them in double rifles but who wants to anyway?) Use the excellent Woodleigh bullets designed for double rifle use, including the FMJ.

I hope it serves you well. Any plans where you intend to use it?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DOUBLETHEFUN
.224 member

Re: merkel in 470 [Re: NitroX]
      #28123 - 22/03/05 10:42 AM

As for plans, the merkel is step one. Now that i have that I will start saving for africa. tanzania for buff. would be nice but i haven't got that far yet. The gun was a big cost in my family. But not as much as the hunt will be.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #28129 - 22/03/05 02:09 PM

You have a fine rifle in the Merkel.

I bought one in .500 NE almost a year ago. I have shot it somewhere on the order of 500 times. It is tight and accurate.

I had trouble with the weight in the butt coming loose, but that has been fixed. Also, the recoil was so severe that the safety would pop back on after firing the right barrel about half the time. GSI fixed this, no problem.

Mine is the basic model with etched scroll engraving. I didn't want to pay another $1,000 for the unattractive game scene engraving. Just my sense of value.

I like my Merkel, and I think it will stand up to hard use for many years - although I am going to use it mostly in my imagination!

A .470 would be a fine caliber. I just had to have the .500, though. Something about that caliber. . .

It goes well with my .500 BPE also.

So be proud of your new Merkel. Shoot it often and get to know it.

And welcome to the forum.

Best regards,
Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

JudgeG
.224 member

Re: merkel in 470 [Re: mbogo]
      #28144 - 22/03/05 05:14 PM

Folks:

I qualifed, I think???, that it was my belief (perhaps, mistaken) that monometal (not banded) solids might result in "issues" with Merkel. As corrected, it was Chapuis of which I was thinking. Or, at least, I think???

As was later mentioned, Searcy is the only company that recommends monometal solids, be they banded or not. In any event, with the great Woodleigh solids and softs, what the hey? A Merkel owner has a very useful and reasonably priced double, "solid" solids, or not.

Have fun. I'll own one someday.. probably in 9.3x74.

As to the "ragged hole", my .470 Searcy shoots Woodleigh 500 grain bullets that just about always cut the hole of the previous one.. at least if I do my job. It's accuracy is limited only by the limits of my sight and poor shooting.

--------------------
JudgeG

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #28147 - 22/03/05 05:52 PM

In reply to:

As to the "ragged hole", my .470 Searcy shoots Woodleigh 500 grain bullets that just about always cut the hole of the previous one.. at least if I do my job. It's accuracy is limited only by the limits of my sight and poor shooting.

JudgeG

Is this with open sights at 50 yards? If so good shooting.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

JudgeG
.224 member

Re: merkel in 470 [Re: NitroX]
      #28164 - 22/03/05 11:58 PM

Actually, my opinion as to the accuracy comes from several folks shooting my gun, not just me. Most are better shots (and all have younger eyes). I'm pretty good about calling a good shot or a poor one. If I think I've shot four good ones at 50 yards, more likely than not, I'll have a group that will be covered by a fifty-cent piece, and with a .475 diameter bullet, that results in a big, jagged hole.

Now, if Mbogo375 was shooting my gun, he'd do better, I'm sure. He is one of the best iron sight shooters I know.

I guess what I'm saying, rather inarticulately, is that my Searcy, and most that I've heard of, shoot better than the shooter. The Merkels I've seen shoot, or have shot, are more than adequete, too.

Come to Georgia and I'll let you try my .470... just bring some Federal Woodleigh Solids with you!

While this thumbnail picture is not one ragged hole, it contains two targets of a right and left. If you put all four together, they would obviously touch... I've done that several times, and I guess these 50 yard targets, kind of show that its not a fantasy.

--------------------
JudgeG

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #28175 - 23/03/05 02:46 AM

Here is how my Merkel shoots:

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

DOUBLETHEFUN
.224 member

Re: merkel in 470 [Re: bonanza]
      #28245 - 24/03/05 11:47 AM

Thanks to all for your help. This is an awsome site, my hat is off to you Nitro.
ps. nice shooting bonanza i hope i can do the same with the 470ne.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4510

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com