Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New 470

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
S2in470
.224 member

Reged: 17/03/05
Loc: Waxahachie Texas
New 470
      #27899 - 17/03/05 06:01 PM

After years of thinking about getting one, I finally settled on and bought a double rifle in 470 NE. While it is the ultimate “love em or hate em” model; I am truly very, very happy with it! As you may have surmised, it is a Blaser S2 (Luxus actually). It has super wood (IMO) & it even came at a great price. I have experienced zero problems with learning famous cocking safety routine (with a few “snap cap” sessions for practice prior to live firing, it was easy to develop some muscle memory). She shoots spot on and dumps the empties right out without issue. I am now even considering adding a set of barrels or three in 30/06 (my favorite “everything else” caliber), .375 H&H (my favorite medium DG / large plains game round) & even a double 12 or 20 gauge when they offer it.

I know someone somewhere must be thinking: “Why in heavens name did you buy a Blaser?” Well the short answer is; I just really liked the blasted thing! I was blessed with task of picking it specifically out of 4 other S2’s that were in that shop. In my search I was fortunate enough to handle and in a good number of cases even fire a wide range of high quality ‘doubles’ including several from the famed brit houses. They were all really superb rifles and each had its strong / weak points. Interestingly the two that stand out most were an H&H and a Searcy (both build one heck of a gun). But alas in the end the S2 just felt, shot, and yes even looked like what I really wanted. It just had the “I’m your rifle” feeling with it. BTW if you have never had this feeling then you simply need to buy more guns; it will happen eventually.

Now I just need to find some loading stuff/dies for 470 NE and a ‘recipe’ similar to the Federal factory loads and I’m good to go. The one good thing about buying the bloody Federal factory stuff off the shelf is it really makes the money I spend on match grade 50BMG ammo seem cheap! However even a dyed in the wool Mauser action DG rifle guy like me could get to like this “twice rifle” thing at this rate.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
chrispie
.275 member

Reged: 30/01/04
Loc: New England, USA
Re: New 470 [Re: S2in470]
      #27909 - 18/03/05 01:10 AM

well congrats on your new 470, and yes there are many people on this forum that don't like the S2, myself included, i won't get into it since its been posted a ton of times, all that matters is that YOU like it and now own one. now just practice and go shoot a dugaboy with it.

on reloading, try midwayusa.com or huntingtons.com you will find everything you need. good luck

clark7781
.375 member

Reged: 28/10/04
Loc: Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
      #27913 - 18/03/05 04:47 AM

Congrats on the new addition to your family! I just added one to mine too!

Good for you for getting what makes you happy! After all, it is your money and you have to enjoy it!

--------------------
Clark

Double Rifle Shooters Society
.500 NE and .577 NE

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #27915 - 18/03/05 05:58 AM

In reply to:

After years of thinking about getting one, I finally settled on and bought a double rifle in 470 NE. While it is the ultimate “love em or hate em” model; I am truly very, very happy with it!

S2in470, welcome to the forum, and welcome to DRSS (DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY)! Don't worry that some are not enamored with the S2, any double rifle is a good thing!

In reply to:

I was fortunate enough to handle and in a good number of cases even fire a wide range of high quality ‘doubles’ including several from the famed brit houses. They were all really superb rifles and each had its strong / weak points. Interestingly the two that stand out most were an H&H and a Searcy (both build one heck of a gun). But alas in the end the S2 just felt, shot, and yes even looked like what I really wanted. It just had the “I’m your rifle” feeling with it. BTW if you have never had this feeling then you simply need to buy more guns; it will happen eventually.

I fully understand your passion for one particular rifle over another! Though I have several very expencive shotguns, I bought an old Valmet Lion years ago for $110, and it is my favorite shotgun when I go hunting. Lots of my friends didn't understand, till I whipped their butts on the first dove hunt, by hitting 15, for 15 shots, and my bag was full! In those 15 shots six birds were doubles on six swings! Now you see why I love that old chunk!

Yor double rifle will drag your butt out of the fire better than any other type rifle when things get tight, and quick! Like others here, the S2 is not my favorite double, but the fact is you didn't buy the rifle for me! It is interesting that your two choices under the S2, were an H&H, and a B.Searcy!

We have a DRSS Fun Boar Hunt with our double rifles at the end of April, at Raggity Creek Ranch in North Central Texas! Check with Rusty, who posts on this sight, and Accurate Reloding as well, for info on the hunt if you are interested. do a search for RUSTY to find some of his posts!

Again enjoy your new double rifle, and don't let anyone rain on your parade!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

k80
.333 member

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: San Antonio ,Texas, U.S.A.
Re: New 470 [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #27936 - 18/03/05 11:22 AM

Amen.

Ken
San Antonio

--------------------
Ken
San Antonio

Welcome to South Texas

S2in470
.224 member

Reged: 17/03/05
Loc: Waxahachie Texas
Re: New 470 [Re: k80]
      #27961 - 18/03/05 06:19 PM

Thanks for the welcome to the forum and DRSS! That boar hunt sounds like a great way to spend the day. We have a family ranch in Dawson TX we do a lot of hog hunting on and really enjoy it. In fact I am dieing to get out to our ranch and give the S2 its first shot at meat on the hoof. I will certainly check out Rusty’s posts for further details on the official DRSS hunt.

As far as others opinions (be they positive or negative) of the S2 go; I read this (and a few other) sites thoroughly on the subject prior to my purchase so I do value the input gained. That said, I remember when I shot a Glock pistol for the first time. They had just come on the market and one of my Army buddies came running to the range with his new piece of ‘tactical Tupperware’. As a bunch of hardcore 1911 shooters we not really impressed with it. I remember asking him ‘where do you load the water into this squirt gun?’ when he handed it to me. Now years later (while I still love my 1911’s) I own bunch of Glocks of varying size and caliber. They are still as ugly as a homemade garden tool, have nothing on a Wilson in fit/finish, and will shoot accurately / reliably no matter what you feed them. What won me over was that while they were out of my paradigm for what was a proven combat handgun, their long term performance proved them to be every bit a solid and reliable design.

On the reloading front; I bought 200 rds of new Bell 470NE brass for $176 per 100. I called the good folks at www.masttechnology.com and they squared me away. I went out to www.midwayusa.com and looked up the appropriate dies and will get an order off to them soonest. I then sent off 2 emails to different addresses for Kynoch to see about getting a batch of the poly/foam case filler wads. Sadly, both emails bounced right back. So I’m at a bit of a loss for a source for those currently. Any thoughts, advice, or sources would be greatly appreciated… Thanks again!

AussieMike
.300 member

Reged: 01/09/04
Loc: Southern Tablelands, NSW, Aust...
      #27965 - 18/03/05 07:18 PM

S2in470,

I'm not sure you'll need filler wads. I am mucking around with my 470 at the moment and find 105g of AR2209 (which is sold by Hogdon's as H4350) fills to just below the bullet base giving 2150-2180 and 112g of AR2213SC (H4831) fills to the bullet base (I haven't fired this load yet).

These powders are supposed to be very stable across a wide range of temps and with the AR2209 last weekend I fired two shots with the rifle as it came out of the house (say at 60F) and then after leaving it lying in the midday sun - I had to hold it with a towel to shoot it as the barrels were so hot (say 108F) and there was no difference in velocity. Not an extensive test, but reassuring.

mike

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: New 470 [Re: AussieMike]
      #28019 - 20/03/05 04:39 AM

S2in470
I am a big fan of the Blaser R 93 and of the K 95 Stutzen, which has the same basic mechanism as the S2, only one bbl.
Every Blaser I have shot has been very accurate. Their scope mount always goes back to zero, always.
All Blaser products are New Technology, and that turns some people off. The S2 doubles do look and operate different.
Modern cars look and operate different from cars built in the 1920's.
I have handled several S2's and they fit me good, better than some of the other new made doubles.
Their main critisism is their cocking mechanism which must be recocked after shooting and breaking open the rifle.
My K 95 operates the same way. After you get used to it you should not have a problem.
Think of the S2 as a Hammer Double that has a "button" that when you push it it cocks BOTH hammers.
I bet Samuel Baker and Edouard Foa would have liked that feature on their doubles.
I would definately work up some light bullet loads and use a scope with them. What could be a better rifle for lion, leopard, black bear over bait, pigs etc. than a scoped 470 with 350 grain bullets at @ 2350 fps.
The locking mechanism of the S2 just might be the strongest of any double rifle.

They have the perfect companion to your S2 at Rays Sporting Goods in Dallas on Singleton Blvd. It is a Blaser double rifle drilling in 9,3x74R X 9,3x74R X 20ga.
Those 2 rifles would make a great combo.

I would like to have 375 H&H double just to test the "rimless" rounds in a double myself. I just might have to get a S2 in 375 H&H, scope it and break all the traditional double rifles rules.
That H&H S2 would probably make one first class all round hunting rifle.

JudgeG
.224 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Loc: Georgia Coast
Re: New 470 [Re: NE450No2]
      #28072 - 21/03/05 01:18 PM

Tony:

You are treading on thin ice!

--------------------
JudgeG
Old and getting older, I hope. But once I was young.

DBBill
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/03
Loc: Southern California, USA
      #28088 - 21/03/05 06:40 PM

S2in470...you have a PM

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 101 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3029

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com