Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Why is the O/U inferior for DG

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Daydreamer
.224 member

Reged: 31/01/04
Loc: Austria
Re: Why is the O/U inferior for DG [Re: 4seventy]
      #17581 - 05/08/04 01:34 AM

4seventy

Let me tell you my experiance with regulating a Tikka 512 9,3x74r O/U double, maybe that will help ....

I have the forementioned O/U - regulated the rifle with RWS DK 226grn bullets to hit both barrels together POA at 100 meters - shooting just fine.

At 25 meters the POI of the two different barrels was 10cm apart (4") - removing the scope it went to 17,5cm (7") difference in height POI between the two barrels.

So - for me - the problem with the O/U is the difference in height of the POI for the different shooting distances.

I now have a new Blaser S2 Safari SxS in 9,3x74r - later to get change barrels in 500NE or 500/416NE - this changes the POI also when the scope is removed - bud not as dramatically as the O/U does, but aside that the bullets travel the same arce in paralell just a little bit apart, and the horizontally difference is easier to compensate than the vertically spreat for different ranges.

In a DGR you do not want to have to think about compensating the (likely significant) vertically difference of POI of the two barrels - to take care of the short range horizontally difference of POI in a SxS should only be 1" grasshoppers afaire

cheers, Franz

--------------------
Franz A. Holzer

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
8x56mn
.300 member

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Wine Country, Finger Lakes Wa...
Re: Why is the O/U inferior for DG [Re: Daydreamer]
      #17582 - 05/08/04 01:57 AM

That's interesting, mine does not change POI with or without the scope mounted on my Merkle O/U, except with the iron sights is does group a little to the left, but that can be remedied with widage adjustment. Do you think perhaps that it could be manufacture specific?

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Why is the O/U inferior for DG [Re: 8x56mn]
      #17591 - 05/08/04 07:54 AM

In reply to:

Do you think perhaps that it could be manufacture specific?

8X56,
You could be right.
That Tikka is a big 12 gauge frame and the little 9.3 barrels end up being spaced a LONG way apart.
Also the Tikka barrels lack rigidity and have little or no heat transfer from one barrel to the other due to the fact that there are no ribs attached.
This is not the right way to design or construct double rifle barrels IMO.

Daydreamer
.224 member

Reged: 31/01/04
Loc: Austria
Re: Why is the O/U inferior for DG [Re: 4seventy]
      #17614 - 05/08/04 10:28 PM

4seventy

No heat transfer is a big advantage here - together with the independance of the barrels due the under barrel "free floating" thus the growing of the barrel when shot will not affect the POI and regulation of the single barrels - this gives very good results for successive shooting - otherwise the barrels would drift apart as in soldered barrel sets....

You may be right with the 12 gauge frame.

Maybe what I found was related to using very light and fast bullets for the 9,3x74r? Didn't check the 286grn in this rifle.

Cheers, Franz

--------------------
Franz A. Holzer

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 83 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8271

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com