Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: single shot actions for .577 nitro?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
Tom_H
.333 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: Southeast, NY
single shot actions for .577 nitro?
      #262578 - 21/03/15 05:24 AM

Posting for a friend looking for the possibilities of single shot actions that can be chambered in .577 nitro.
this includes break actions, falling block etc.

Thanks

Tom

--------------------
Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny

Edited by Tom_H (21/03/15 06:34 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: single shot actions for .577 nitro? [Re: Tom_H]
      #262589 - 21/03/15 09:23 AM

Forum member Mark Mitchell owns J Farquharson and Co and should e able to build your friend whatever he wants. You won't find a nicer person to talk to, as well. Mark builds a lot of guns for the big London names, besides building guns in his company's name.

Good hunting!

PS Please request your friend to post pictures of his gun build over here whenever he starts the build process. Advance congratulations to him!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: single shot actions for .577 nitro? [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #262592 - 21/03/15 10:18 AM

There was an gent from Oz that posted here of a 577 Ruger #1 that he had built up.

You could get my 600 and re-barrel it down to a 577.

See it at this
web page

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

Tom_H
.333 member

Re: single shot actions for .577 nitro? [Re: AkMike]
      #262629 - 21/03/15 11:37 PM

Thanks for the replies. Apparently the person who is interested in the project didn't like the #1 conversion as he didn't want to look at exposed rim when he closed the block. I thought that was silly but it's his gun.
Available option 2 was a b-78 but that might be too small in the threads.

Any possibility of using a single 10ga as the receiver? I did the bolt thrust on it and it appears to be too large of a difference but I am willing to defer to someone who has done it.

I too like the other big single shot actions, but I don't think he is interested in spending on an action what he planned on spending on the project.

Tom

--------------------

nitro450exp
.333 member

Reged: 06/09/07
Loc: Michigan, USA
      #262645 - 22/03/15 03:43 AM

I have a .577 3" built on a Falling Block Works - Maybee Michigan L Model
Basically a scaled up high wall

Good strong gun.

Nitro

--------------------
"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall

45/70 DR / 12ga Paradox
470 NE DR
12 Bore DR
20 Bore DR
450 NE SR
577 NE SR

Tom_H
.333 member

Re: single shot actions for .577 nitro? [Re: nitro450exp]
      #262695 - 23/03/15 09:32 AM

Falling block works. Didn't think it was an option and unless one is for sale, I guess it isn't. That would have been a greatfit. Thanks Nitro.
He may be agreeing to a Hagn. Any thought or comments would be appreciated.

Tom

--------------------

bouldersmith
.375 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Boulder Colorado
      #262715 - 24/03/15 01:21 AM

I know of no inexpensive way to build a good quality single shot. You might look in to Steve Earle's offerings. He makes nice stuff and a price point that is hard to bet. A Fraser maybe?

--------------------
New website http://www.bertramandco.com

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
Re: single shot actions for .577 nitro? [Re: bouldersmith]
      #262735 - 24/03/15 05:41 PM

Like anything it all depends on how much he has to spend ,i would forget about a break action for a 577 ,FBWs Model L will do 577, but they havent been made for years ,and Leo Fix has sold all his actions ,The FBWs model S will do 585 Hubel, but i dont believe it will do 577 .Martini and Hagn action will do up to 600 on their Large Action but im think its around 3k ,just for the action .I started a Ruger No1 577 some years ago but sold it on to another shooter who completed it, and sold it for an exorbitant amount .But i now have a Ruger on a 585 Hubel which works just as well ,then there is all the other sky high European and English makers ,Jongmans in Australia who will make you one on their Farquarson action ,or Steve Szihn [spelling]who could make him one or that other gent that makes the double barrel Falling Block rifles in the U.S

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: single shot actions for .577 nitro? [Re: 500Boswell]
      #262750 - 25/03/15 06:22 AM

There's also a Farky made in NZ IIRC. Soorka maybe? From the pictures I've seen they are very high end.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

Tom_H
.333 member

Re: single shot actions for .577 nitro? [Re: AkMike]
      #262800 - 26/03/15 10:30 AM

Thanks to all for the input. It looks like the action will have Hagn stamped on it. Should be an interesting project.
Tom

--------------------

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #262803 - 26/03/15 01:07 PM

Quote:

Thanks to all for the input. It looks like the action will have Hagn stamped on it. Should be an interesting project.
Tom

I think I read somewhere recently about Martin Hagn building a big action so he is surely set up for it.
You would do worse than looking at the new Steve Earle Fraser action http://www.steveearleproducts.com/fraser.html
That would make a sweet 577 and a little less $$ than the Hagn but in the end, the cost difference will be nil and it really comes down to whether your friend prefers the side lever or the under lever.
If you can, please keep us informed on the build.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Tom_H
.333 member

Re: single shot actions for .577 nitro? [Re: Huvius]
      #262811 - 26/03/15 09:22 PM

That Steve Earle action is sweet looking. If it were me I would simply never get the build done because I wouldn't be able to make up my mind on which to use.
"Hey Tom, why don't you make all of them" is not an acceptable reply due mainly to mortgage payments, food, etc.
Someone around here had a #1 with the side lever and I am still looking for the time to fit in that as a project.
Just as an aside, I think that it is pretty interesting that the .577 barrel only needs mauser threads. Really expected something different but lets hear it for low pressure and modern steels.

--------------------

buckbrush
.300 member

Reged: 23/08/07
Loc: Alberta
      #264823 - 11/05/15 01:16 PM

will a Martini action work? The Military case 577/450 is 577 based, just shorter and necked down?

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: single shot actions for .577 nitro? [Re: buckbrush]
      #264827 - 11/05/15 01:46 PM

Quote:

will a Martini action work? The Military case 577/450 is 577 based, just shorter and necked down?

I am going to say no. The .577 NE is to long to turn the corner. Then I am going out to the shop and get a .577 NE round and a MH and try it.

I'll be back.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

DoubleD
.400 member

Re: single shot actions for .577 nitro? [Re: DoubleD]
      #264832 - 11/05/15 02:23 PM

Okay, I'm back.

It doesn't fit the Martini-Henry. Well at least a 557 2 2/3" NE with a 650 gr. cast lead bullet doesn't fit. So of course a 3" won't either.

The rim binds in the rear of the breech block.

Now someone is going say you can grind the load trough in the breech block to get the cartridge to feed.

The breech block of the Martini is the "Locking lugs" of the design. This knuckle rests in the knuckle seat at the rear of the action.

The knuckle bears the load of the cartridge on firing. The knuckle attaches to the rear of the block adjacent to the load trough.

Any deepening of the trough that is done for the 577 NE to fit has to be done in the rear of the trough adjacent to the knuckle, effectively weakening it. Looking at this, it appears to be a modification that "will" weaken, not "may " weaken.

I also checked a Francotte large action and it won't work either.

What will work is a Greener Martini. I have a 577 2 3/4" NE built on that action. Works just fine.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
      #264838 - 11/05/15 04:51 PM

DoubleD: I'm almost certain I've seen a thread where a fellow in fact did show a .577 2 3/4" fitting a martini henry action? Over on British Militaria?

I'll see if i can find it tonight.

--------------------

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: single shot actions for .577 nitro? [Re: Ash]
      #264842 - 11/05/15 07:50 PM

Ash:
This is probably the GunBoards thread to which you refer.

There was a thread here on NE.com also that discussed the .577 x 2 3/4 in a Martini, jump to it here.
I have chambered the .577 x 2 3/4 "around the corner" into a .577/.450 chamber to prove the point, had some photos somewhere at the time but difficult to locate now.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

spinna
.275 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Top End NT Australia
Re: single shot actions for .577 nitro? [Re: Marrakai]
      #264846 - 11/05/15 09:34 PM

One of these should do it..
600 NE on a Falling Block Works action

http://usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=55913

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #264847 - 11/05/15 09:57 PM

Tom,
I have heard that a Wickliffe 76 falling block would be big enough for a .577 conversion. I don't know for sure but I believe I read that on one of Ed Hubble's posts about some of his big calibers.

Tom Ondrus sold a bunch of them several years back as kits, there may still be one or two out there that never got completed. The action is large enough but I'm just not sure about clearances.
I also know that when the action is properly heat treated, it will be strong enough, they made a few of these in .338 Winchester magnum caliber.

The main problem with doing a .577 singleshot is that you will have to leave the barrel very large in diameter and length in order to have enough weight on the gun to help fight off the effects of the recoil. The doubles I build weigh 12 1/2 pounds, finished weight, and a single would have to weigh at least 10 1/2 to 11 pounds in order to be shootable with full loads. If you go under that amount with full loads you will pay dearly for your mistake.

You could always make it lighter and shoot a somewhat reduced loading in it BUT, some day someone else is going to come along and see that it is marked for .577's and shoot a heavy load in it. This can happen even if the loading information is stamped on the gun, (there are many out there who either don't know, or they don't understand), what they are seeing. Turning down the barrel too much could also cause a catastrophic failure.

DoubleD
.400 member

Re: single shot actions for .577 nitro? [Re: Ash]
      #264853 - 12/05/15 12:27 AM

Quote:

DoubleD: I'm almost certain I've seen a thread where a fellow in fact did show a .577 2 3/4" fitting a martini henry action? Over on British Militaria?

I'll see if i can find it tonight.

That is probably mine...done on a Greener.

Or one of Coyote's bastardizations. Scarey some of the stuff that thief did. There was something along that line he did do, that most would not think would fit. Just don't know what it is

It might fit with a 480 grain lead bullet. Of course I went out in the shop last night and tried it with 650 grain bullet and it wouldn't fit the MH.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Edited by DoubleD (12/05/15 01:10 AM)

DoubleD
.400 member

#264875 - 12/05/15 03:37 PM

Just to make sure, to night I tried 2 MK II's, a MK IV, three Carbines-an 1CI and two Kabul Arsenals, 3 large Francottes, a Fields short rifle and three commercial MK II patterns.

The 2 3/4" NE only fit one of the Kabul Arsenal guns.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6947

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com