Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Regulation Question

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
tarawa
.333 member

Reged: 21/10/07
Loc: South Florida
Regulation Question
      #105081 - 14/05/08 10:27 PM

If one were to sleeve a SxS shotgun or to add rifled choke tubes to a shotgun, which would probably shoot better without regulation. A short (18")barreled version or a longer (26"-30") barreled version? I was thinking of getting a Baikal or Stoeger "coach gun" and screwing in some rifled choke tubes. Then I was going to make a collar that would slide over the protruding barrels, to cover the protrusion and also have a place to mount my sites. Would using a laser bore site, give some indication of the regulation, say at 50 yards or so?

--------------------
Life is for Service

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
André
.333 member

Reged: 28/06/04
Loc: Brussels (Belgium)
Re: Regulation Question [Re: tarawa]
      #105210 - 15/05/08 10:41 PM

Bore sighting devices will only tell you where your barrels look, not where they shoot. There's no substitute for actual shooting to see where they print.

--------------------
André
---------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Otto
.300 member

Reged: 15/09/05
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Regulation Question [Re: André]
      #105217 - 15/05/08 11:32 PM

As Andre says, shooting is the only way to knmow for sure. However, looking at the issue from an engineering perspective, the barrels of a double shotgun are made to converge at 40 yards. Such an angle of convergence will cross badly downrange of 40 yards. So, DR or bore rifle barrels need to be bent essentially to parallel to regulate at longer range. For whatever reason, the bend doesn't usually degrade the accuracy potential of the individual barrels. Cape guns are sometimes regulated without the bend. I have a Savage 24 12X 30-40 (rechambered 30-30) with a rifled tube in the shotgun muzzle, which shoots saboted 12g slugs and 30-40 180 partitions at 2400fps into a combined sub 3moa, that with a 3X scope. Maybe that's just luck, can't say as this is the only combo gun I've tried it with.

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: Regulation Question [Re: tarawa]
      #105354 - 17/05/08 07:56 AM

I put a couple of 45-70 sleaves in a 16 gauge and they crossed 15cm in 25m but the are floating inside the barrels not soldered the whole way. They actually hit where the borelasers paint the target.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 427

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com