Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Proofing a DR in the States?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
gathumper
.224 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: South GA
Proofing a DR in the States?
      #82026 - 08/07/07 10:05 AM

With there being no proofing houses in America how do you get a DR proofed without sending it overseas?

--------------------
Isn't that a daisy?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Proofing a DR in the States? [Re: gathumper]
      #82031 - 08/07/07 11:54 AM

Same way you "proof" a bubba'd milsurp or rebarrelled Remchesteravage. There ain't no cradle-to-the-grave bureuacratic handholding for doubles or Mausers in the USA.

But first you really need to define what you mean by "proof"...

See the Proof Loads post in double rifles for a discussion of the topic and then choose for yourself what method you feel comfortable with.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Proofing a DR in the States? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #82057 - 08/07/07 11:46 PM

Quote:

Same way you "proof" a bubba'd milsurp or rebarrelled Remchesteravage. There ain't no cradle-to-the-grave bureuacratic handholding for doubles or Mausers in the USA,

No I don't think it is quite the same old chap. I don't think that the proof master has to get his cousin out of his sisters bed long enough to load the ammunition.

Incidentally one does not "proof" a gun one "Proves" Thus when it has passed and carries "proof" marks they are evidence that the gun has been "proved", the assertion that the gun is fit for the task has been "proven"

Regards

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Proofing a DR in the States? [Re: Bramble]
      #82067 - 09/07/07 01:44 AM

[quote
Incidentally one does not "proof" a gun one "Proves" Thus when it has passed and carries "proof" marks they are evidence that the gun has been "proved", the assertion that the gun is fit for the task has been "proven"

Regards

Quite correct, that's why I put it in quotes.

As far as your other statement goes, I'm sorry, but he has no other options in the USA. He can ship it to Blighty or Belge or he can prove it himself or hire somebody to do it for him and then take their word for it. There is no "government guarantee" here.

You guys yap about the wonders and mysteries of your proof houses as if they are essential to the preservation of life and limb while our makers get along quite nicely without them. And I might remind you, since you seem so enamored of your own gun industry, that the American commercial gun industry is the largest in the world and somehow manages to spin out uncountable shooting irons all without Uncle Sam's or John Bull's involvement.

I know, I know, a British double is a different breed of gun than any other powder burner. It requires an Act of Parliament to make sure it doesn't go to pieces.

As I've mentioned earlier, ours stay put out of fear of the American Bar Association.

I'm not sure which Protector is better, or worse for that matter, but since I rarely hear of a British double or an American whatever letting go, I suspect both methods work fairly well...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Bramble
.375 member

#82076 - 09/07/07 04:32 AM

Thank you for your response.

Far from being awed and mystified by the proof house,I had occasion recently to prove 2 guns and I posted on another thread exactly what happened in an attempt to clarify this rather obscure process. In short there was nothing done that could not be performed by a decent gunsmith with proper safety precautions.
Indeed our proof act does not even require somebody who works on their own gun to prove it at all. I is just a legal requirment when it is to be offered for sale/transfer.

Modern mass produced guns proberbly do not need it. There is an enormous safety margin built in and I am sure that the US manufacturere do some form of proving themselves in the form of test firing.

I did see guns that had failed proof testing, many. They were on the shelves of the proof house and in the pictures on their walls.
Each one of those was a life or hand saved.
I post on other forums, I have seen pictures posted there, of guns that have failed dramatically often following conversions to larger calibers than the originals or other unwise modification. Constantly there are posts from people proposing modifications that are unwise and unsafe. i.e. just a few days ago a small ring large thread Kar 98 to a 7mm magnum when the action is only by best recommended pratice, good for 37,000 CUP.
Our proof system is not perfect, but it should stop shoddy or dangerous work being sold to an unsuspecting shooter.
It does stop "Bubba'd" guns unless only "Bubba" is ever going to fire them.

Another factor to consider in this word of litigation is that my conversion for instence can be sold. I am on solid legal ground. It has been proved to be fit for purpose, just the same as a H+H, Purdy et al. There was a thread on this forum a few months ago about the dangers of selling any modified gun in the states because of future litigation as its safety could not be legaly demonstrated.

Regards

gathumper
.224 member

#82080 - 09/07/07 05:38 AM

I read the "proofing loads" thread and it kind of scared me. Is there a good chance that if I tried my hand at converting a DR from a shotgun and did as good of job as can be done, it will fail? It just sounds like this might be a common thing. This is the only way I'll probably ever put my hands on a DR and I'd be sick if I put $2000 in it just for it to fall apart on the first shot.

Other than that I think I have a pretty good idea about how they are proofed, except for what to measure before and after the proof loads. But as Bramble said they didn't use any measurements at the proof house just an examination.

--------------------
Isn't that a daisy?

9.3x57
.450 member

#82085 - 09/07/07 06:25 AM

Quote:

I read the "proofing loads" thread and it kind of scared me. Is there a good chance that if I tried my hand at converting a DR from a shotgun and did as good of job as can be done, it will fail? It just sounds like this might be a common thing. This is the only way I'll probably ever put my hands on a DR and I'd be sick if I put $2000 in it just for it to fall apart on the first shot.

Other than that I think I have a pretty good idea about how they are proofed, except for what to measure before and after the proof loads. But as Bramble said they didn't use any measurements at the proof house just an examination.

Sort of reiterating what somebody over on the Proof Loads post stated, my opinion is that if you have to ask the series of specific questions you are asking, you should not attempt to do this yourself.

Good heavens, friend, of course it might fail!

Make no doubt about it, I personally think the British proof system is, from a safety standpoint, a joke, though I readily admit that a defendant in a court of law might find it of some value, inasmuch as courts of law are something of a joke as well. So yes, it does serve a valuable purpose, though it does not declare a gun safe for every use it might be or should be expected to survive. I believe Bramble's description of the British proof system definitively "proofs" my point.

In fact, I believe the British system, while it might separate some wheat from chaff, is dangerous to rely on IF, IF the person shooting the gun somehow thinks that he doesn't have to inspect and maintain and knowledgeably feed his own hardware every time he heads to the range. DITTO ALL OTHER SYSTEMS.

They all serve a purpose in CYA for the gunmakers but "proving" a gun DOES NOT mean it is "SAFE". It only means that it fired a certain load on a certain day and it stayed together when it was fired and if done at the British proof house, the work was done by some guy who didn't have to get his cousin out of his sisters bed long enough to load the ammunition.

This gun thing is inherently unsafe. It is not golf. I enjoy it and so do many blokes who read these posts, but let us never forget that things that go boom nicely can go boom in a decidely unpleasant way. And never forget that the early-number 1903 Springfields that blinded some Doughboys were EVERY ONE PROVEN, and with known-pressure ammo to-boot. {BTW, I've never heard of a Lee Enfield letting go like them, but then they were proven in Merry Old. } But don't forget also that it can happen even to Modern Man, as it did with the SAKO's that were recalled a few years back.

I have no doubt about my own ability to prove a gun as I and, I might add, every other handloader does it all the time, literally every time we work up a load. If you don't know what I mean by this, please see my first paragraph above.

Putting it another way, IMHO, every time you change a load and fire a round of ammunition the pressures of which are unknown to you {and they all are unless you own and use accurate pressure testing equipment}, you ignore and indeed nullify the value of your gun's original proof and you step out into the realm of proof-testing your own gun.

Now, Sir, do you need John Bull for that?

--------------------

Bramble
.375 member

#82086 - 09/07/07 07:02 AM

Sir you and I are in agreement. The process of proving does not allow anybody to abuse a firearm or subject it to unknown pressures.

It does however because the proof pressure is 30% greater than the service pressure of factory loads set the benchmark for safety.

In answer to Gathumper's query. Yes it can cause your double to fail, but it is far better on the bench than in your hands. The day I was there and having mine done I was told that a few days earlier a .600NE had been forced off face by the process.
To guard against this if you are going to build your own you must look carefully at the action you are going to use. A cheep second hand, loose light 12 guage, is not perhaps the best place to start.
A new magnum 10 guage is going to give you more margin. Now it will be a mite heavier perhaps, but that is why our homebuilts are metaphorically the drag racers of the double gun spectrum whilst the best guns are the F1 racing cars. Everything about them is the culmination of years of experience trading strength for weight and balance.
H+H could build my .450#2 a pound lighter than I could and not sacrifice anything in strength. I could not. But then I could not afford to trade off the £ 90,000 it might have cost me. For my circumstances no ammount of excess ugly weight is worth £ 90,000. Unfortunatly my ex wifes lawyer and the divorce judge did not agree with me.
Also consider carefully which cartridge it is to fire. The reason mine is in .450#2 NE is because it is 13 long tons pressure rather than .450NE which is 17 long tons nearly 25% less thrust for the same balistic performance.
Do the calculation correctly and it will not fail.

Regards

gathumper
.224 member

#82098 - 09/07/07 02:10 PM

I'm sorry, I am asking these questions prematurely. Don't think I'm about to proof any gun any time soon. I'm just asking out of curiosity and with the hopes I will build that gun one day. I check this forum everyday trying to learn something I didn't already know(so far that's every post:)) Sometimes I get excited and ask a question that I don't need to know right now, I just get ahead of myself. Sooner or later my questions would be answered elsewhere.

About what I said earlier, I know that the gun could fail. I was just wondering is there a high percentage of conversion DR's that do?

--------------------
Isn't that a daisy?

9.3x57
.450 member

#82117 - 09/07/07 11:22 PM

Quote:

About what I said earlier, I know that the gun could fail. I was just wondering is there a high percentage of conversion DR's that do?

I have utterly no idea what percentage of conversions "fail" {I'd love to know, too}. Just because I am half Irish and my ears are still ringing from 4th of July celebrations doesn't mean that my cantankerousness is without purpose here {I'm an Anglo-phile at heart! }.

When you say "fail", you MUST define what that means. When a broom and a vaccum cleaner are needed to collect your gun after proof firing I think we all would agree it "failed" proof. But what if it is still more-or-less together, but after firing it is "a little" loose? I will assume here that even if it is intuitive, there must be some standard {maybe not...} used by the British proof house to establish "failure". Bramble notes a loose .600 and that is exactly the point I am trying to make. That one failed.

Would it have failed your own proof or would you have looked at your checkbook and the cost to build the thing and the arguments with Honey over the construction expenses and said "Ahh, it'll hold..."?

See what I mean?

If you prove your own gun, you will have to establish parameters of what constitutes failure and passing. Why? Because catastrophic failure is not the only result that can occur when a gun is fired with the mystic "30% overload".

In fact, as an example, as I mentioned in the Proof Loads post, proof firing was used as a manufacturing process in the building of Lee-Enfield rifles and IIRC, .002 setback of lugs and .001 expansion of chamber were anticipated as a result of proof firing. These are measurable effects of proof firing, so don't let anybody tell you that all gun types shouldn't be effected AT ALL by the firing of a proof overload.

But the rub is, that was with L-E's. What about your basement double? What effect would YOU allow, and would you even be able to measure it?

See my point?

By now everybody who is still awake and following this probably thinks I am a mole for the Royal Proof House.

To the contrary. As mentioned, I believe an individual can prove their own gun. In fact, I don't think it is that difficult. But that person MUST establish parameters of acceptance before doing so. As mentioned, catastrophic failure is not the only option... And wisely, that person must ask himself if he ever wants to sell the thing and mull over how his proof will stand muster if there is trouble down the road. Yes, personally, I believe proof testing isn't difficult at all FOR SOMEONE WHO IS COGNIZANT OF THE ISSUES. and it certainly doesn't need the addition of a government bureaucracy to get it done, particularly when that b-cracy performs as described by Bramble in his expositions {very informative by the by}.

Bramble states: "The process of proving does not allow anybody to abuse a firearm or subject it to unknown pressures." Absolutely true. The last bit sinks the ship of all those who place metaphysical faith in proof firing or who handload. Why? Because as soon as you use any other load than that which was used for proof firing you step outside the assertion of safety provided by the proof firing of the gun, and whether that firing was done by a Bureaucracy or Bubba's sister's boyfriend doesn't matter.

Does proof firing provide a "benchmark for safety" as Bramble states? I think it does, but once the gun leaves the proof house {or Bubba's basement} it is up to the gun owner to determine if the gun continues to be safe and in order to keep the ghost of Johnny Cochran at bay i would NEVER assert that because a gun passed proof inside a British Proof House it continues to be safe! Just because it passed proof doesn't mean it continues to be "safe". Remember the exploding, "craze cracked" No.4 Lee-Enfields? And ditto for some 96-actioned Swede target rifles? All had been proved, but all those that blew up needed careful inspection and didn't get it.

My main reason for yapping so much about this topic is that I think the whole concept of safe firing/testing/handloading/proving gets shortshrift and needs to be evaluated and kicked around from time-to-time. {Don't worry, I'm almost through with the topic...} I have literally heard guys say that because a gun is "proof tested" and because a "margin of safety" is built into it {"the manufacturers aren't allowed to sell something if it isn't safe..."} the thing can handle a few grains above max, or even book max when even book max is unknown as far as pressures in their specific gun is concerned. That some get away with it for years only encourages activity that damages guns. I have seen MANY guns worn out from excessive firing or excessive firing of heavy loads. Revolvers and DOUBLE SHOTGUNS and other break-actions in particular.

As far as legal liability in the USA is concerned, the mere fact that a gun has been proofed, sorry, proven, is no stop to the juggernaut of the USS Alan Dershowitz. So it has been proven. So what? If it has been worn out, or modified, or damaged, or such points can be concocted by the claimant and the defendant saddled with them, the sale of the thing may constitute a negligent act.

That it hasn't been proven by a gub'mn't proof house is no guarantee of legal liability for damages either, if the one-to-which-it-was-sold feeds it a steady diet of handloads made up of cases overflowing with Bullseye powder, levelled with a strike from the Ace of Spades and compressed with two bullets and fired with the cleaning rod left in the barrel.

Regardless of proof, every gun sold must be accompanied by honesty, forthrightness and good faith, and even then it might come back to bite a guy!

I admit, a British Nitro Proof mark might fool the lion's share of jurors, but it's lack is no guarantee of the Defendant's post-trial poverty, either.

Here's a question for you: From a gun that has been proven at a British Proof House {or Belgian, etc, or Bubba's Basement}, how many bullets can be safely fired?

--------------------

Edited by 9ThreeXFifty7 (09/07/07 11:35 PM)

gathumper
.224 member

#82126 - 10/07/07 02:29 AM

Good points, I didn't mean to start anything. I understand what you're saying. Manufacturers, proof houses, and Bubba all have their own standards for movement in the chamber and elsewhere. You should just set yours and stick with it and once it proves it will handle that load drop that extra 30% and stick with that pressure load. And even then your not guarenteed anything.

As far as someone in the US selling one of these guns, I can't see that being a good idea. Maybe it would if you had a lawyer come up with a waive of liability that the client could sign and if that scared them away atleast you didn't leave yourself open.

--------------------
Isn't that a daisy?

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #82127 - 10/07/07 02:50 AM

Just to illustrate how unpredictable the rifle game can be, allow me to relate the following incident, which I witnessed personally years ago.

As a member of the US Marine Corps Reserve high power rifle team, I was participating in a match at Fort Benning, GA. I had completed firing on the 600 yard line and was heading for the score board when I noticed a commotion on the firing line. One of the competitors was firing a Winchester Model 70 pre-64 target rifle in caliber .308 Winchester. He was using Lake City Match ammunition. He had just fired his 14th shot for record and had it scored and had reached up to place a round in the chamber, when he realized that there was no chamber to load.

When the preceding shot had been fired, the top half of the chamber and the top half of the receiver ring had simply vanished. The action looked as though it had been placed in a milling machine and the top half of the receiver ring and barrel milled off. There had been no loud report accompanying the shot and the bullet had struck the target and had been scored, as had the previous shot.

The only explanation I heard which made any sense at all was that there was an undetected flaw in the barrel, which, over time, had expanded until the point of rupture had been reached. Barrel and action were, of course, marked WP for Winchester Proof.

Inexplicable events do occur. Negligence is the failure to take precautions against predictable events.

Bramble
.375 member

Re: Proofing a DR in the States? [Re: xausa]
      #82138 - 10/07/07 06:35 AM

I agree absolutly with 9.3

Nothing is safe from the "primer doesent look that flat to ME" sindrome.

One of the problems with firearms and ammunition is that they are complicated interactive bits of kit, sold for the most part to complete idiots. (and I except all members, former members, perspective members of this forum and their friends, families, girlfriends and cousins from that statment.)Think that covers anybody who thinks that that was aimed at them, it wasent.

I take a very jaundiced view of the machanical abilities of most of the population.
I will not ride on a carnival ride. Why trust my life to people that when they arn't putting these things togeter or taking them apart, sell tickets, drink beer and try to get their hands down the knickers of impressionable teenage girls. If they were good machanics they would work for Farrari or NASA. Let my next door neighbour fix the brakes on my car? I'd rather let him shag my cat.

If the book says MAX load then it means MAX. Like the Farrari says 180 on the clock, that is MAX, It doesent mean safe in all circumstances (in fact safe in very few)
IMHO if the cartridge will not get the job done at 10% below max, get a rifle chambered for a different cartridge.

Simeraly with building guns. If you engineer in a 100% safety margin like bridge builders do, then failing the gods of hunting really having it in for you you will be safe. Reduce this margin at your own risk.
Choose the action and cartridge carefully. A double in .378 WbyM is not a good idea.
Many famous gunmakers in this country have used standard length mauser actions for long cartridges and releived the rear of the bottom lug to do so. Have they held up, yes. How many rounds have they fired, who knows. Are they using the safety margin engineered in by Mauser to make this work, you bet.
It could just be a gamble. Build a 404 jeffery on a standard action and the repeated strain will not cause it to fail for 10,000 rounds. Nobody will ever fire 10,000 rounds through this rifle in its lifetime, ergo it is safe.
Engineers do this in the car industry all the time. Build a million cars and sooner or later a critical part will fail and somebody will die. Boats, bridges, airplanes all the same. That is why we examine all of these things at prescribed intervals.
Guns are the exception. They can go their whole lives in the hands of rank amatures and never be critically examined.
For the most part it is never an issue because of number of rounds fired, but compitition shooters do have their guns fall apart from metal fatigue fairly regularly.
On the other hand I have seen 22rf martini target rifles in clubs with millions of rounds through them. There is such a margin built in that, the chances of catastrophic failure are aproaching 0%

How many posts have you seen with "Is it safe to shoot my damascus barrelled hammer actioned whatever" Of course it isent "safe" it is a calculated risk. If it were safe then nobody would have invented 4140 CM forged steel barrels, to replace iron horseshoe nails hot hammer forged over a mandral.
If you want it safe then send it to a proof house or competent gunsmith in the States (see I can bend 9.3 :-) )and let them destroy it for you in controlled conditions with a proof load.

9.3 and I are in fact far closer to agreement than appears. When he says "FOR SOMEONE WHO IS COGNIZANT OF THE ISSUES" He has hit the nail on the head. A good gunmaker/engineer can prove his own work because he knows what is and is not acceptable. I met a gunmaker from the States on my recent trip. I would not hesitate to fire a rifle he handed me.
Proof houses either here or in Europe are the safety net because of just that level of experience. They hopefully catch the inexperienced or incompetant.

Regards

9.3x57
.450 member

#82150 - 10/07/07 10:54 AM

Bramble, BRAVO!!

I do believe we are in 100% agreement.

--------------------

3sixbits
.224 member

Reged: 11/07/07
Loc: Alaska
      #82204 - 11/07/07 09:17 AM

I just love this, setting here with the temp in the 60's f. today I was thinking along these lines.

I wipe out loads for my home built, step out the back door and blaze away, I actually hit the target, life is good. I step back in the shop, say to myself, now all I've got left to do is get the ammo loaded, pack and head out for sunny Africa.

Along about late afternoon, we run across old daga boy, I'm thinking break him down and then it a cold one for me and the PH after the pictures, dern it sure has been hot.

Next thing I know, I hear someone on the radio calling for the air ambulance. I'm thinking that old daga ran over me at the shot and how the heck did I miss?

After the medico explains to me what really happened, I was thinking maybe the old boys that did the proof act way back when were thinking about the dude that was leaving sunny old London and heading for that warmer clime? Just a thought!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1532

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com