Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Double rifle sling eyes

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
crusty
.224 member

Reged: 06/06/08
Loc: New Zealand
Re: Double rifle sling eyes [Re: vagrouser]
      #204676 - 07/03/12 12:07 PM

Damn,

I guess these are what I need for my Westley Richards 1871 single shot - or did the slings just tie onto the eyes?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Double rifle sling eyes [Re: crusty]
      #204697 - 07/03/12 10:32 PM

Quote:

Cap'n, perhaps you may be able to post a picture or two of one of your original slings so any member who knows a skilled leather worker may try to interest them in making them available??

Here's a photo of the original sling and attachment with my Woodward .450/400 3 1/4" double rifle:

There is a very similar arrangement with an Alex. Henry double .577BPE I acquired with its original sling. The Henry snap hooks are quite similar to the ones being offered.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

MikeRowe
.333 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Arkansas, USA
Re: Double rifle sling eyes [Re: CptCurl]
      #204714 - 08/03/12 03:43 AM

Cap'n

Thank you for posting that picture. I've not seen a swivel with the leather covering on the loop like that. A very classy touch!

Mike.

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Double rifle sling eyes [Re: MikeRowe]
      #204717 - 08/03/12 07:52 AM

Some more:

And here you can buy new retro swivels:
http://www.jarnaginco.com/
http://www.jarnaginco.com/Cw%20carbine%20and%20musket%20slings.htm

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Edited by CptCurl (08/03/12 10:54 AM)

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Re: Double rifle sling eyes [Re: Igorrock]
      #204724 - 08/03/12 10:52 AM

Here are the snap hooks that are original to my Alexander Henry .577 BPE double. I also have the original leather, but the stitching had decayed to where it had no strength. The leather you see here is modern and not original.

I would have posted this a couple of days ago with my other photo, but I had misplaced the sling and hardware. It took a major search and rescue operation to find it.

It's plain to see, the ones being offered by Mike Rowe are spot on. It is wonderful to have the opportunity to fit out a sling properly.

I might add, this isn't the greatest means of attaching a sling to a double rifle. It's noisy as hell, with the hooks grating in the eyes. Nevertheless, it is "proper" so we should do it and not complain.

Mike, the Woodward sling and hardware is really intricate with the leather covering. I thought you might like seeing that.

VaGrouser, I thought you might like seeing these original A. Henry snaps so you would know how very close Mike's are to the originals. His are probably made to more exacting tolerances. You need them for your .450 BPE. If I didn't have these originals I would be next in line.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
      #204728 - 08/03/12 11:53 AM

Are the leather covered one much quieter Capt. Curl?

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

MikeRowe
.333 member

Re: Double rifle sling eyes [Re: AkMike]
      #204733 - 08/03/12 03:00 PM

Cap'n

Thanks again for the pics of the Henry swivels. They are a little different to the photos I have of some off a Henry, that I took several years ago. They are plainer, which is why I copied the nicer looking pattern like yours. I'll look them out and take a photo of them (don't have a scanner, or know how to use one)and post it here. It had the original sling leather in good shape, so a leather worker would be able to see what is required.

I do my level best to make this stuff so it looks like it belongs in the case. Although I don't think I'll be doing the leather covering anytime soon.....anyone else want to give it a shot?

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

#204748 - 08/03/12 09:58 PM

Quote:

Are the leather covered one much quieter Capt. Curl?

AkMike,

I don't know as I haven't used the leather covered snaps. The A. Henry sling has rotten stitching, as I mentioned. I carefully removed the swivels from that sling, keeping the leather intact. I'm hoping it can be restored by a skilled leather worker. Anyway, having harvested these swivels, I use them with the modern sling for any rifle fit with sling eyes.

The Woodward sling is in better condition, with all stitching apparently sound. Still, I'm not going to rely on 120 year old leather and cotton thread to sling a valuable classic over my shoulder, as you surely understand.

In a day or so I'll get both rifles and slings out of the safe so I can take some documentary photos showing details of the leather work on each.

If the Woodward sling is quieter it won't be by much. There's a lot of noise created by the hook moving in the eye - metal to metal contact. The leather covering on the Woodward swivel would prevent contact between the sling loop and the barrels, but it would have no effect on noise created by the hook and eye.

I hunt with my rifles, and I've been planning to devise a way to simply lash the sling to the eyes using leather laces. It won't be as elegant but it should be quiet.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

#204750 - 08/03/12 10:02 PM

Quote:

I do my level best to make this stuff so it looks like it belongs in the case. Although I don't think I'll be doing the leather covering anytime soon.....anyone else want to give it a shot?

MikeRowe,

You certainly have very precisely made and fine looking swivels. In your photo they look better than my Henrys. I notice a more precise fit between the hook and the closure. Great work! I'm tempted to have a set.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

vagrouser
.300 member

Reged: 06/01/09
Loc: usa
      #204766 - 09/03/12 02:58 AM

Hi Curl,
I was in touch with Mike within an hour of receiving your email directing me to this thread! Just fantastic looking work (and not only the swivels). Mike will of course speak for himself, but it sounds like the swivels are done in batches over the year and are not something that he has inventoried. I'm in for a set and we're discussing other reloading bits.

Re the noise issue-I wonder if wrapping the apex of the snap with a few turns of electrical tape would help? If the electrical tape is too soft, there is a lead tape made for weighting tennis racquet heads. Either would be a single use proposition, but should clean up easily with alcohol or adhesive remover.

Here's a link for the racquet tape:
Gamma lead tape

There's another brand, Babolat, but I think the Gamma tape is a little thinner and may be better suited.

MikeRowe
.333 member

#204771 - 09/03/12 03:56 AM

Just for temporary quietness - and being not so noticeable - perhaps a short piece of clear nylon tubing which can be bought at an auto parts store could be slipped over the hook part. It would be contained by the gate so it wouldn't get away.

I think the swivels are meant for carrying the rifle to the hunting spot, then it is quickly removed when the hunting actually begins.

I do make these swivels in batches. I don't keep any inventory, as all my accessories are made specifically to order. I'll be doing some in May - probably till I'm cross eyed and have to go work on something else for a while. Like a truck.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

#204780 - 09/03/12 09:14 AM

I don't think the idea of tape, lead, or a nylon tube will work. There's not that much clearance between the hook and the inside of the eye.

I think it is what was said, that the swivels were meant for carrying to a stand and then removed. That limits the usefulness of a sling. But as I said, they are absolutely "proper" so we must use them without complaint.

Mike, have you ever made any stab crimpers? I would like to find one for a Henry .450 BPE.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
      #204782 - 09/03/12 09:21 AM

He shows one for a 577 in his link Capt.

Mike we're thinking along the same lines!
Instead of tubing use the 'shrink to fit' tubing for wiring. It comes much thinner and shrinks down tight with a little heat.. Easily cut off w/o damage to the hook and it comes in many colors inc. black.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

#204791 - 09/03/12 11:08 AM

Quote:

He shows one for a 577 in his link Capt.

Here are photos of my Hawksley .577 stab crimper that is one of the accessories to my Henry .577BPE. I'm looking for the same tool in .450.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

#204793 - 09/03/12 11:13 AM

Mike Rowe:

For a man who hangs out a shingle saying, "Best Quality Guncase Accessories Made to Order" this photo should get your blood pumping:

Two of my Henrys - the .577 and a .450 hammerless, in their original cases with their original accessories.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

MikeRowe
.333 member

#204797 - 09/03/12 11:27 AM

Indeed, Captain, indeed it does. I may need a shot of MacAllen now.

Here's the Henry sling. I trust you can remedy my lack of computor skills.

Edited by CptCurl (03/07/12 10:01 PM)

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

#204800 - 09/03/12 11:45 AM

You can see the Hawksley .577 stab crimper on the left side of this photo, in the .577 box, just below the barrels.

Curl

MikeRowe
.333 member

#204801 - 09/03/12 11:55 AM

Thank you for fixing the picture, Captain.

The swivels on that sling are a much plainer quality than yours. I have a friend who has a Boss magazine rifle with a sling almost identical to the one I photographed. However, it is very coarsely finished.

I tried to capture the details of the stitching and keepers as best I could. The details are very important.

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #211970 - 03/07/12 12:18 PM

What do you guys say on these for Sling Snap Clips/Hooks, there were doing a different job on some thing else & are brass, does that matter, the brass that is ?

Edited by CptCurl (03/07/12 10:01 PM)

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Double rifle sling eyes [Re: Sarg]
      #211988 - 03/07/12 05:39 PM

Sooner or later the steel eye will erode the brass hook. So it would be useful to cover hook with eg. thin leather.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Brithunter
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Lincolnshire, England
Re: Double rifle sling eyes [Re: Igorrock]
      #212195 - 07/07/12 03:17 AM

Nw I have no idea whom made this sling but it has the correct period fittings to go with my Rigby Mannlicher so when I saw it hanging up in an old gunshop that was closign down I brought it:-

And finally on the rifle:-

I keep my eyes open at shows etc but have yet to come across another one. There is also the snap hook as used by Parker-hale on their target slings. Sorry no photo to hand right now.

--------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Edited by CptCurl (06/10/12 09:44 PM)

gungadoug
.333 member

Reged: 13/08/12
Loc: NM
      #215688 - 28/08/12 01:16 AM

There is a fella here in NM that has made batch of sling eyes- copied from original, both machine thread and wood screw, also some with just a stud for peening. Email for info.
Doug

MikeRowe
.333 member

Re: Double rifle sling eyes [Re: gungadoug]
      #215710 - 28/08/12 12:05 PM

That is a very nice and correct rifle sling and swivels, Brithunter. And a very correct rifle, too.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12300

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com