Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Arrowhead

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Bowhunting + Bows, Spears & Knives

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Perry
.275 member

Reged: 09/11/10
Loc: Qld Australia
Re: Arrowhead [Re: TomN]
      #200133 - 20/01/12 09:21 PM

A truely interesting Artifact, I'd cherish that for the rest of my days thinking of possible circumstances of the Hunt. I too agree it is an AtlAtl Point.

I've been making Primitive Bows and other Archery Equipment since the mid 90's. Great to read of others on this Forum making their own Primitive Gear

regards Jacko

--------------------
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' " -Charles Darwin

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ruffcountry
.300 member

Reged: 06/01/09
Loc: usa
Re: Arrowhead [Re: ruffcountry]
      #201253 - 31/01/12 04:39 PM

Quote:

I concur that those " beatiful points" are not arrowheads but more likely dart points for atlatl .I dont think they are overly large for darts .
I still waver on whether the embedded point is an arrowhead or not . It is not near the length of the other two points. I have used similar sized steel points with a long bow and arrow and would expect similar or better penetration . The angle of the embedded point indicates that it was launched from above or in a high arc , I suppose bow or atlatl could have done either .

Do think this hit on the animal brought it down or slowed it any ?

I inferred no negativity from any posts and hope none was implied in mine .

I think I have been looking at this backwards or rather upside down , ie if the bone is held in position of horizontal spinal column then the point is penetrating from bottom side . For some reason I had always looked at turned over the other way.

--------------------
Double Rifle Shooters Society

CommandCar
.333 member

Reged: 18/09/10
Loc: East Coast, USA
Re: Arrowhead [Re: ruffcountry]
      #201383 - 02/02/12 01:24 AM

Quote:

I think I have been looking at this backwards or rather upside down , ie if the bone is held in position of horizontal spinal column then the point is penetrating from bottom side . For some reason I had always looked at turned over the other way.

Interesting. So the implication is that the animal was upside down or on it's side when the point entered the vertebrae. This woud suggest the hunter was standing over or very near the downed animal either thrusting or launching the point (and shaft) at very close range.

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: Arrowhead [Re: CommandCar]
      #201430 - 02/02/12 08:50 AM

^ or the hunter could have been in an ambush pit.

ruffcountry
.300 member

Reged: 06/01/09
Loc: usa
Re: Arrowhead [Re: kamilaroi]
      #201471 - 02/02/12 03:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Interesting. So the implication is that the animal was upside down or on it's side when the point entered the vertebrae. This woud suggest the hunter was standing over or very near the downed animal either thrusting or launching the point (and shaft) at very close range.

Quote:

^ or the hunter could have been in an ambush pit.

Yes it completly changes all scenarios I had envisioned .

--------------------
Double Rifle Shooters Society

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7768

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com