Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: L. C. Smith Questions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1
iwantadouble
.300 member

Reged: 06/06/05
Loc: Gallatin County, Montana
L. C. Smith Questions
      #58274 - 04/06/06 12:45 PM

As a long time admirer of the L. C. Smith shotguns, and of the opinion that they were America's finest scattergun, I finally came into the oppurtunity to buy one. I am currently evaluating it. I am sold on it, and as soon as I get ahold of my friend letting me evaluate, I will buy it. Having only looked before, and never shot one, the first shot was filled with excitement. Sweet Elsie did not disappoint at all. The gun is a well used (but tightly locking) Field grade made in 1928 according to the serial number. It is a double trigger non-ejector 12 gauge. It has 28" barrels and I am unsure what the chokes are. In the next few days I plan on having it choke gauged to find out. There is no question in my mind that it will make a spectacular upland bird gun.

My first question is regarding the safety. I am used to the normal two position safety of "fire" fully forward and "safe" at the back, but this has a third safety notch back from "safe" that seems to fire as well. What is the use of this third position?

The second question is regarding loadings in it. I've only shot #7 low wall Winchester "Game Loads" (2 3/4") through it, and it loves them. Would it be ok to shoot high brass 2 3/4" loads through it? Also out of curiosity, I would like to see how it handles a slug. Would it be safe to shoot a slug from it, and if so what are the various member's recommendations for a smoothbore slug/ball?

Here is a picture of it...

--------------------
500 is a nice round number, either followed by "Nitro Express" or by "cubic inch displacement".

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Peterb
.333 member

Reged: 07/07/04
Re: L. C. Smith Questions [Re: iwantadouble]
      #65569 - 09/11/06 02:01 PM

Check the chamber length. It might be 2 9/16" at that date. If so there will be a slight increase in pressure shooting 2 3/4" loads. This averages about 200 psi. That also increases the rearward force which is tough on the wood behind the locks. Sidelocks crack here. Be sure to keep the rear screws tight. When they loosen, they are a cause for stock cracks. It is wise to remove any oil soaked in the stock. Be sure to have a qualified gunsmith remove the wood. It is a b*tch on LC's. Glass in the stock and there will be no future cracks.

Yogi000
.333 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: New York, USA
Re: L. C. Smith Questions [Re: Peterb]
      #65607 - 10/11/06 04:53 AM

Nice looking Elsie.

I agree about checking the chamber lengths BEFORE shooting any high dram loads or slugs. While you still may be able to shoot some of them in a 2 and 9 / 16's chamber you will get higher pressures therefore you may NOT want to...

I certainly would not try a 2 and 3/4 slug UNTIL I verified the chamber length was at least that!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2099

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com