Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Thumbs Down to Steel Shot!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1
470Rigby
.333 member

Reged: 23/02/04
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Thumbs Down to Steel Shot!
      #12146 - 22/03/04 09:45 AM

After employing every ruse possible to avoid using steel shot, I finally succumbed during the opening of the Duck Season here in Victoria, Australia last weekend. Using 36 gram Remington Nitro Steel Magnums in #2 shot and Teague skeet chokes in a Model 10 Miroku, everything within 30 yards was stone cold dead, but much beyond that - forget it!

My shooting buddy, a much better shot (having represented Autralia in Trapshooting - his 2004 score card currently shows 675 straight!), using a tighter choked gun with 32 gram #3's (RIO/RC/Saga) really struggled! Couldn't bring down a Mountain Duck at 25 yards - close enough to hear it squark and see feathers every time it was hit, and beyond that range - lots of hits on Black Duck and Teal - but obviously no penetration.

I reckon we've been sold a "bill of goods" with this crap! A mate that shot in New Zealand recently saw some incredibly tight/even patterns shot with Tungsten/Polymer. Has anybody any experience with it on Duck/geese to report?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
Re: Thumbs Down to Steel Shot! [Re: 470Rigby]
      #12154 - 22/03/04 12:00 PM

...echo the sentiment with steel shot...brought down several canadian wild geese last fall flying overhead at around 20-25 yards (3.5" /12 gauge)...beyond that, the steel shot seemed only to wound what should have been humane clean harvests...duck hunting is even worse, unless one is able to approach closer than 25 yards...

...have you tried bismuth (? spelling)...is highly touted to be superior to both tungsten (brass) and lead...

470Rigby
.333 member

Re: Thumbs Down to Steel Shot! [Re: ThomasEdwards]
      #12170 - 22/03/04 03:48 PM

...yes, Bismuth was one of the delaying strategies I employed to forestall the fatefull day of having to use steel. Works wonderfully well, but the supply of shells made locally in Australia by Winchester using shot acquired before Eley-Hawk bought the licence has dried up. I am conserving my remaining stocks to shoot in my English guns, since the Eley-Hawk loads sell for AUD65.00 per box of 25 here! I understand that the local Remington agents will be bringing in their Hevi-shot for our 2005 season, and I was wondering what the North American experience with it was. My understanding is that it has phenomenal penetration and patterns tighter than steel - best of both worlds? - not counting the price!

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

#12178 - 22/03/04 07:12 PM

...heard the same reports regarding hevi-shot...tho also heard that hevi-shot may not be the best shot for highly prized double guns (read, high ticket english or continental doubles)...seems to work perfectly well with field-grade doubles/autos/pumps...

...gazalans.com/conneticut shotgun has some info on bismuth/hevi-shot for reference purposes...you may also wish to check federal ammunition's website...

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
      #12198 - 23/03/04 02:39 AM

Thomas,i've never used steel shot before,so i would like to know whether i can use it in my 12 gauge Beretta Eurika without causing any damage to the weapon.

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

#12235 - 23/03/04 10:32 AM

igbal,

...i should not think so, given that most beretta barrels are chrome-lined, and chrome is supposed to be harder than steel...tho i do recall back in 1998-99 when the 470 silver hawk s-by-s was first released that a warning was given about the use of sheet shot in the fixed choke barrels...

...just to be sure, why don't you call beretta usa (given that many sheet shot users reside stateside) and ask?...you may wish to try jhonny, the customer service rep, at 1.800.636.3420...

...best of luck...

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Thumbs Down to Steel Shot! [Re: iqbal]
      #12271 - 23/03/04 06:36 PM

iqbal,

Steel shot is hell on barrels. That's why I went out and bought a cheap Mossberg 835 for $265.00 to use duck hunting. It just frosts my ass that I have to leave my nice pre war J.P. Sauer 12 gauge SXS home. I shot a lot of ducks with it for 30 years...

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

470Rigby
.333 member

Re: Thumbs Down to Steel Shot! [Re: luv2safari]
      #12497 - 26/03/04 11:41 AM

iqbal - If lead is not illegal in Pak - why would you want to use steel????

It has NO redeeming features - and if the truth ever got out here in Australia about it's crippling rate , Animal Liberationists (close relatives to the effing Environmentalists that instigated the lead ban!!) would be calling for it's ban too!

If you really want to try something exotic in your Beretta - try Remington's Hevi-Shot - being 10% more dense than lead (and 54% denser than steel!) it is supposed to outperform it.

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #12801 - 30/03/04 03:04 PM

The shells would be cheaper if Remington used 24k gold...

Hevi-shot = Heavy Price!

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

8x56mn
.300 member

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Wine Country, Finger Lakes Wa...
      #12809 - 30/03/04 06:38 PM

Hi guys, I'm new to the DG doubles and all, but I do know duck hunting and steel shot. Let me set a couple of things straight OK. Steel shot will damaged full choke barrels of thin walled guns. The effective range for steel is 35 yds, and recommend a modified choke. Big shot for geese 1,2 BB's and T's, 2's or 4's for ducks over dekes. If you don't want to shoot steel then go with the Heavy shot, it is truely remarkable and will kill geese at 65 yd's all day long and on duck's with small shot is deadly out to 50 yds on passing ducks. A plus with this shot is that you can shoot it in any double gun, OK.
Now the price, yes they are salty, but trust me it's wash when you consider that you shoot once at a duck and it comes down, not a half box of steel. Now guys I have been
slaying these buggers going on 45 years now and have seen the eveolution from lead to steel and to the exotic stuff. The heavy shot is the best thing to come down the pike since smokless powder. Have fun.

cr500
.300 member

Reged: 11/10/03
Loc: Singleton ,Australia
Re: Thumbs Down to Steel Shot! [Re: 8x56mn]
      #13795 - 21/04/04 05:28 PM

Just how much extra price is Heavy shot compared to normal fiel loads? I will be using an old english sxs for ducks and will have to use heavy shot.

470Rigby
.333 member

Re: Thumbs Down to Steel Shot! [Re: cr500]
      #13870 - 22/04/04 11:23 PM

cr500- i'm told by the Australian agents for Remington that, IF they bring Hevi-Shot in- it will be dear - similarly priced to Eley-Hawk 21/2" Bismuth which sells for about AUD65 per box of 25!!

If your English gun is proofed for 21/2" cartridges, IMO, you should use Bismuth. If it's a heavy 23/4" or 3" gun with open chokes (more open than 1/2 choke), you MAY get away with European CIP Steel loads, but remember that American SAAMI pressures are subtantially higher, and Hevi-Shot loaded for the North American market would most likely be incompatible with ANY English Gun.

BTW, in England, it is illegal to use Steel in 21/2" guns.

jgttechjunkie
.275 member

Reged: 20/02/04
      #19434 - 26/09/04 10:18 AM

We use steel, in larger shot sizes for ducks and geese than we used with lead, and we have moved to 3" and 3 1/2" shells. (I actually set aside my SxSs and bought a pump because it handled 3 1/2".) I just bought some sample Kent shells which are "tungsten matrix", went on a goose hunt this morning, but could not bring myself to use them, the geese were coming in close.

I used to see people sky bust with lead and wound ducks that we all could see were clearly too far away; with steel it is much easier to shoot at something that is out of killing range, so the net result is more wounding.

It would be nice if the $2 US price for each tungsten matrix shell came down some.

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: Thumbs Down to Steel Shot! [Re: jgttechjunkie]
      #19519 - 29/09/04 05:03 AM

I've some good prelimary work with Bismuth out of my 12 guage SxS. Got a nice canada goose with BB. The BB and #2 pattern very well. I tried Kent, but they are just to hot for my old gun (1400fps I think). Recoil was punishing, so I'll stick to Bismuth.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Thumbs Down to Steel Shot! [Re: Chasseur]
      #19544 - 29/09/04 07:40 PM

In the Northern Territory, we have been home-manufacturing our own bismuth shot in large sizes for magpie geese for more than a decade. This practice permits a saving of more than half the cost of loaded shells, and allows the shooter to load the appropriate size shot for the larger game-birds. Best of all, our fine pommie doubles can be taken afield and put to work without risk of damage.

For those that missed it, the article on dropping your own bismuth shot is up on the web, with the kind permission of Guns & Game magazine.

http://www.hotkey.net.au/~orrs/BismuthArticle/index.htm

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #19609 - 05/10/04 02:47 AM

I used steel shot for several years, and hated its performance on ducks and geese. This past weekend I was on a duck hunt in upstate New York and had a blast (literally). I was shooting a Remington 11-87 SP 12 guage, with a comp-n-choke imp.cylinder using Hevi-shot, high velocity 6's. My 3 friends and I limited out (6 duck apiece), 2 days in a row. Thats 48 ducks total, and not a single cripple was lost. When you hit them with Hevi-shot, they just fold up and die. Expensive stuff, but worth it.

shrike
.224 member

Reged: 16/07/04
      #24072 - 14/01/05 08:02 AM

Sorry..............,
I disagree with many of you where ducks alone are concerned. We have been using Kent Steel for a number of years.
23/4" 12Ga.-1 1/16 Oz of #2 or #3 shot. Also,
3" 12Ga. 1 1/8 Oz of #1 shot.

The 3" #1 shells are death on late season mallards out to 40-45 yards.
The 2 3/4 #2 shells are fine for 30-35 yard shots
The 2 3/4 #3 shells are fine for over decoy shots out to 30 yards.
There is no doubt that the Kent loads have the juice and power for deep penetration on late season mallards out to 45 yards.( November/December in Canada)
Out to 20 yards we often have total penetration and exit with the #1 shot in the 3inch loads on late season mallards.
With good hits out to 40-45 yards, we get as high percentage instant kills as we did with lead.

All distances I talk about were verified with Laser range finders, on flying birds with the continuous read out mode. One spotter and one shooter. The moment of the shot signalled the final reading.

I like steel on ducks because it has been proven to us that it has the required energy out to 45 yards,and because of the affordability.
I am not disputing that tungsten/polymer, heavy shot and bismuth are much much better at longer range.
At what price? and.........................how many of your ducks do you shoot regularly and with consistency in centre hits over 40 yards??? Its like asking how many % of your deer do you shoot over 400 yards?

My observation is that many handicap themselves by shooting way too tight chokes with steel. Its that old inbred thing that we gotta use tight chokes for ducks. Steel changes that equation.
In the lead days there was a lot of sky busting going on, with the odd one flooking out. Steel indeed looses its velocity and power a lot faster then lead as we all know. If you try the old sky busting routine with steel you be subsidizing the ammo dealers.
However most ducks in my life have been shot well within 30-35 yards. I regard 45 yards as max. for my ability to consistently produce good centre hits.
Modified(21-25/1000) is plenty for my gun/choke combo 35-45 yards.
Skeet(4/1000) is great over decoys with #3 out to 25 yards ,and IC(12/1000) does fabulous with steel out to 30 yards . Numers are in my gun and choke combos alone, not necessary in yours.
Trying to hit 10-20 yard ducks with a modified chokes and steel loads is very difficult and unforgiving, due to the tiny pattern.
Check some patterns in your gun and open up on those chokes!!!. You may be surprised.

I have not hunted many geese with steel. For the big Canadas we use "something different" out here.

Edited by shrike (14/01/05 08:45 AM)

shrike
.224 member

Reged: 16/07/04
      #24077 - 14/01/05 08:25 AM

Steel shot W_A_S hell on barrels.
The modern steel loads have much progressed in the last 15 years. Shotcups are much thicker,all but eliminating barel scorching, better powders have been develloped and steel is probably as good as it will ever get.
However for steel, 24/1000 constriction is tight.
I too have a lovely open choked Sauer SxS which I will never shoot with steel. Not because steel scorches the barrel it does not with thick plastic wads, but because our Sauer was not designed to take the much higher pressures of the steel loads. Your Sauer would sooner then later shoot loose.
European light doubles are not designed to shoot heavy pay-loads. They kick too much in those light guns.
I have a dutch friend who has a beautifull open choked Merkel SxS which he shoots with heavy Fiochi steel loads. First of all it kicks the hell out of you, the barrels are not scorched, but the gun will shoot loose a lot faster.

MacNaughton
.275 member

Reged: 11/02/05
Loc: Somerset. U.K.
      #26098 - 11/02/05 12:55 PM

Heavi-shot patterns superbly with moderate chokes - up to about 1/4. With tighter chokes the patterns progressively deteriorate. The performance isn`t as good as with lead or bismuth but far superior to steel. Steel shot just isn`t compatible with fixed chokes unless those chokes are pretty open - I`ve just seen a Browning with car tire type bulges immediately behind both chokes ( 1/4 and 1/2.)

--------------------
Nothing compares to a `Best Gun.`

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5457

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com