Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What are the CZ Safari Classic rifles like?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
DGR375
.300 member

Reged: 04/10/07
Loc: Gold Coast, QLD
What are the CZ Safari Classic rifles like?
      #88568 - 09/11/07 02:13 PM

I am after a rifle to use in the Big Game Rifle Club Nitro Group 3 event, not to mention hunting. There doesn't seem to be many factory rifles available, but CZ do make a Mauser action in 505 Gibbs.
Not much is known in Australia about them. How do prices compare to the normal CZ Safari Magnum?
Is their build quality worth the premium?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Schamankungulo
.300 member

Reged: 21/04/07
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: What are the CZ Safari Classic rifles like? [Re: DGR375]
      #88631 - 10/11/07 10:12 AM

I have the Safari Classic 458 Lott , it has been tricked out a good bit , price wise here the Gibbs version has a suggested retail price nearly double that of my rifle , mine can be had off the shelf for about $850 , I have seen the Gibbs for $1500 or so ..

Seems to be a purtier grade of wood , never seen one in real life tho'

chuck375
.333 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: Colorado Springs CO
Re: What are the CZ Safari Classic rifles like? [Re: Schamankungulo]
      #88873 - 13/11/07 08:42 AM

I'll be able to tell you by Christmas. Mine should be here by then.

Chuck

--------------------
"There's a saying in prize fighting: Everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #88874 - 13/11/07 08:47 AM

Quote:

Is their build quality worth the premium?

Premium ?

Premium to what may I ask ?

I think you'll find it's the cheapest
Group 3 Rifle around excluding a Ruger No 1.

chuck375
.333 member

Re: What are the CZ Safari Classic rifles like? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #88899 - 13/11/07 03:33 PM

The CZ 550 Safari Classics come with a fancy grade walnut stock, dual crossbolts, glass bedding, barrel band, your choice of finish on bluing and stock. They also come in "classic calibers" 300 H&H, 404 Jeffery, 450 Rigby and 505 Gibbs ... as if 375 H&H isn't classic ... You can get any and all of these features except maybe the calibers by upgrading your order through their custom shop.

Chuck

--------------------

.224 member

Reged: 09/01/06
Loc: Manassas,Virginia USA
Re: What are the CZ Safari Classic rifles like? [Re: chuck375]
      #88911 - 13/11/07 09:42 PM

I have their custom shop model in 404 jeff. I even had them do a metal finish and use a wood laminate stock to get it as waterproof as possible. I had to return it right away because it would not pick up cart. and feed . They repaired and even re metal coated as needed very quickly. Very accurate!It does not feed woodleigh soft nose very well, catches on a ridge on feed ramp to chamber, they have it again at their shop now working on that problem. I would advise try all types of ammo you will ever shoot right away to be sure your rifle can handle them while your active warranty is in effect.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: What are the CZ Safari Classic rifles like? [Re: 404]
      #88919 - 14/11/07 12:25 AM

While not Safari models --I have picked up a couple of CZ's that I have in the truck when I head out to the country--in case I run into a coyote or whatever--it appears that feeding is a consistant problem with CZ's as both of mine have it as well as 2 other friends of mine--agree that they are very accurate--just a little on the rough side...IMHO...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: What are the CZ Safari Classic rifles like? [Re: Ripp]
      #88956 - 14/11/07 04:06 PM

Interesting discussion.

I had a 527...not a DG rifle...that wouldn't feed and I wound up selling it. I damned it after I shot a stock-chasing stray dog and swung on a second and found the chamber was empty.

Frankly, I'm scared of the current CZ's. Lots of trouble used to pop up regarding varied reliability problems on the CZ forum. I looked at one the other day and wasn't impressed at all.

For a "cheap" rifle in a DG caliber, with controlled-round feeding I side with the Rugers. The Rugers are not without problems, but feeding reliability has been excellent for me on all non-DG rifles and I've never read of problems with the DG rifles. Since both makes of rifles need a bit of help right out of the box and the problems I hear about involving the CZ rifles repeatedly involve reliability issues, I take a Ruger over a CZ each and every time.

Regardless of whether you guys are trying to stop a Cape Buffalo from sticking a horn in your ribs or whether I'm trying to stop a cross-bred mutt Rottweiler from hamstringing my favorite saddle horse, one demand is the same, as mentioned by 404; function test EVERY type of ammo thru your rifle before use it. Queer stuff happens!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

BillfromOregon
.333 member

Reged: 27/10/04
Loc: Sweetwater, by God Texas
Re: What are the CZ Safari Classic rifles like? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #89069 - 16/11/07 03:17 AM

I took a 550 in 9.3 X 62 to Namibia last spring. It fed my Barnes TSX handloads like glass. But now I am drooling over a 550 in .458 at the new Sportsman's Warehouse here, and while this particular rifle handles very, very well for me, the action is pretty rough. That won't do.

chuck375
.333 member

Re: What are the CZ Safari Classic rifles like? [Re: BillfromOregon]
      #89307 - 20/11/07 02:59 AM

The action job from CZ lists for $70 I believe, of course you won't be able to buy one of the rack then ... Hopefully it will be well worth the extra bit of money.

--------------------

benellisbe
.224 member

Reged: 10/07/07
Loc: GA
      #89310 - 20/11/07 03:25 AM

I recently got back from Zim and took a very nice buff with my .375 H&H (CZ 550 Safari Magnum). I absolutely love this rifle. Infact, I purchased 235 soft points for my reloads (whitetail hunting). I know 235 is a bit on the high side for whitetail, but will be great practice for next year. I have absolutely no complaints with the CZ. It has been flawless.

BillfromOregon
.333 member

Re: What are the CZ Safari Classic rifles like? [Re: benellisbe]
      #89313 - 20/11/07 04:22 AM

Benellisbe:
Good to hear you are having fun with your CZ in .375. I handled one yesterday at Sportsman's Warehouse. I am tempted to go with the CZ in .458 WM they also have on the rack, though. I have all sorts of bullet molds in .458 to cast up plinking loads, and the .458 just handles and swings a bit better for me.

Shanster
.275 member

Reged: 02/10/06
Loc: Seattle WA
      #89317 - 20/11/07 06:10 AM

I would not recomend the cz 550 see my rant http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=68195&an=0&page=1#Post68195
I still dont have the rifle back it has been a year and 1/2 .
Shannon

BillfromOregon
.333 member

Re: What are the CZ Safari Classic rifles like? [Re: Shanster]
      #89412 - 21/11/07 08:28 AM

Well, I came home yesterday with the CZ 550 Safari Magnum in .375 H&H. It is just a more versatile round for my purposes, as much as I would love to justify a .458 WM or a Lott. Can't wait for cases to arrive so I can load and shoot.

chuck375
.333 member

#89426 - 21/11/07 11:06 AM

Congratulations Bill! I hope you like it. Please let us know what you think. I'm still waiting for mine, another month or so I guess. I already bought 50 Woodleigh 350g solids and 100 Woodleigh 350g PPs to load.

--------------------

jro45
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/03
Loc: DE, USA
      #89805 - 27/11/07 12:16 AM

I own a 550 American Safari Classic In The 458 Lott. IT cost me a little over $1,000 with a box of 458 Hornady 500gr bullets. The rifle Has nothing bad about it. It has a Laminated stock and a set trigger. Its a great rifle and Can kill any animal in the world.

.224 member

Reged: 09/01/06
Loc: Manassas,Virginia USA
Re: What are the CZ Safari Classic rifles like? [Re: jro45]
      #89901 - 27/11/07 09:22 PM

I just got my rifle, safari custom, back from the factory shop for the second fix on feeding problems.First repair was for lack of ability to feed any shells from magazine, rails needed adjustment.Last fix was to smooth out ramp so soft points will feed into chamber. It now feeds great. This was their custom model that I had them do a action job on as part of original purchase order. They did both repairs very quickly. It now feeds as slick as a old Brno I have.PS.I sent soft nose ammo to factory for them to use in their tests and repair.

DGR375
.300 member

Re: What are the CZ Safari Classic rifles like? [Re: 404]
      #90048 - 29/11/07 11:13 AM

Thanks, everyone. It's been great to hear everyone's experiences. Certainly a mixed bag: good and bad. I have a Safari Magnum in 375, and wanted to get people's ideas on the Safari Classic line, which feature the more classic cartidges, the 500 Jeffery and the 505 Gibbs for example.
It seems that even the premium Safari Classic line still isn't perfect. I'm getting the idea that I'm better off saving money and getting the Safari Magnum in 458 Lott (instead of the Safari Classic in 505 Gibbs) then sending it to a gunsmith to address the problems addressed so far in this thread.
Any thoughts?

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #90053 - 29/11/07 12:01 PM

DGR:

I have, over the last ten years, accepted the reality that EVERY new gun I buy is going to have a bunch of problems right from the git-go. I don't even get upset at it any more. I can fix all of Ruger's warts myself, so I like Rugers. Having said that, if you like the basic CZ rifle, and you have a gunsmith that you trust who is skillful enough to fix the CZ's warts, go for it. You seem to have a handle on the fact that you cannot just buy a gun and expect it to work. You've crossed that bridge. Your idea about getting a .458 Lott, sending it to a trusted g-smith and having it made right sounds spot on to me.

All the best and let us know how it turns out!!

PS, Benellisbe: I went the 235 route for a while and killed a bunch of deer with it. I left it for my standard load using the 300 grain Hornady. The 235 broke up and gave me ".270-style" bloodshot meat. My heavy-bullet load didn't and of course, kills deer just fine.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Bill_Cooley
.300 member

Reged: 14/12/06
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
      #90438 - 03/12/07 02:51 PM

Quote:

Thanks, everyone. It's been great to hear everyone's experiences. Certainly a mixed bag: good and bad. I have a Safari Magnum in 375, and wanted to get people's ideas on the Safari Classic line, which feature the more classic cartidges, the 500 Jeffery and the 505 Gibbs for example.
It seems that even the premium Safari Classic line still isn't perfect. I'm getting the idea that I'm better off saving money and getting the Safari Magnum in 458 Lott (instead of the Safari Classic in 505 Gibbs) then sending it to a gunsmith to address the problems addressed so far in this thread.
Any thoughts?

My thoughts are that you should get the Lott and don’t look back. More bullet selection much cheaper components and less recoil. Yes the CZ is a little rough but you didn’t pay 5-10 thousand for it either (the cost of a good custom rifle). I have one and have never had a problem with feeding. Get one take it out and shoot it then decide if you need to do any thing. People forget that some of the old classics didn’t come out of the box as slick as they do now. I had several old model 70s and some older rems that needed to be lapped before they were smooth. There use to be regular articles in the old out door mags on how to slick up your rifle.
Bill

Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
Re: What are the CZ Safari Classic rifles like? [Re: Bill_Cooley]
      #90543 - 04/12/07 09:28 PM

HI DGR375 and also hi to Bill,

Firstly I agree with Bill.

I mainly hunt with the old BRNO rifles witch is the same factory as the CZ. Here in South Africa they are very popular because of price and reliability.

I shoot a old .458 BRNO that was changed to a 460wby mag. They only made the chamber a bit longer for the 460 cartridge. I have never had any problems with it and it shoots very accurate. There is no fancy stuff that can break or default. Everything is very straight forward and when getting into tight spots that the way i like my guns. I never had any work done on any of my Brno's and I shoot them as they came from the factory. My .243 must've killed well over 300 animals as I at one stage used this rifle only for culling and problem animals. It never ever gave me one seconds worth of problems.

I believe you can never go wrong with a CZ. They are rough and not much for the eye but the animal you hunt can't read the engraving or the names on your rifle. I work with rifles I do not collect them. I look AFTER them not AT them. All I need is to get the job done.

Cheers guys

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

chuck375
.333 member

Re: What are the CZ Safari Classic rifles like? [Re: Bigfive]
      #97696 - 26/02/08 03:09 PM

Hi DGR375, mine finally arrived. I'm real happy with it. You can read my post and if you scroll down see some of the pictures I posted.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=96926&an=0&page=0#Post96926

Regards,
Chuck

--------------------

DGR375
.300 member

#97717 - 26/02/08 11:42 PM

Nice one, Chuck375. I looked into it more, and found that to import only one rifle into Australia is VERY expensive. It needs several items at the same time to reduce the per item cost. Enjoy yours, I'm going to an auction in Melbourne this May, hoping to pick up something nice. Fingers crossed.

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
      #97782 - 27/02/08 09:16 PM

Hi DGR375,

The auction list has not as yet been uploaded for Roland Martin's next auction !!.. do you have an isight or is this just a gamble as I am looking for a few things myself ( takedown rifle )etc

--------------------

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

DGR375
.300 member

Re: What are the CZ Safari Classic rifles like? [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #97787 - 27/02/08 10:51 PM

Hi, CHAPUISARMES. Yes, I'm taking a gamble with booking so far ahead. At worst, I'll have an interesting holiday. I do hope to pickup a nice plains rifle from between the wars; a dangerous game rifle from the same period would be nice, but probably outside my budget.

When I got the catalog for the last auction I was disappointed, and thought it not worth going down to Melbourne, even though there were some nice rook rifles for sale. I now regret not going to the auction, and so am making sure I'll be there for something that may surprise.

Maybe I'll see you there?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 293 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4786

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com