Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My 458 Lott went missing in the mail.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
cr500
.300 member

Reged: 11/10/03
Loc: Singleton ,Australia
My 458 Lott went missing in the mail.
      #44129 - 16/12/05 03:35 PM

Had a realy good buffalo hunt in Northern Territiry ,gun went well ,shot very accurately ,never missed a beat, fitted me well ,was perfectly sighted in, just great. Now someone else is enjoying its benifits.
After the hunt ,I sent took it to a firearms dealer who sent it through the post to my local dealer here and its gone missing in the mail. I told the police as soon as I realised its gone missing and when I rang them today 2 weeks after I did the missing firearm report and no news yet. They said no one has handed it in! I asked if they have contacted the postal service to see what is happening with the missing firearm ,and they said no ,if the gun is handed in or if they find the gun ,they will contact me. I thought that they sort of might want to investigate a missing firearm. I wonder what there response would be if I said I lost the gun in the bush or it was taken from behind my front door ,I would be in handcuffs.
All I can hope for now is that whoever stole the gun ,will get a guilty concience and hand it in. Either that or they use it in a crime ,get caught ,and then maybe I wil get it back.
Its not so much the value of the gun ,but the fact that it had been modified to fit perfectly ,plenty of work done on feeding ,cross bolts ,bedding, trigger, jeeze everything.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: My 458 Lott went missing in the mail. [Re: cr500]
      #44131 - 16/12/05 03:43 PM

I hope you had the bolt in your suitcase so it'll be worthless to the scum sucking thief. I'd raise a ruckus with the post office also I do hope it was insured to the maximum!

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

RLI
.375 member

Reged: 01/10/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #44136 - 16/12/05 04:09 PM

The rifle can only be taken while in Australia Post hands so that means a employee or contractor or did the gundealer actually send it? ask him for reciepts and the gundealer has to declare it is a firearm . I would look at the gundealer and the sending post office and contact the Australia Post State Manager and get him to look into it. The gundealer may be legally liable as he is legal last "owner" and if he can not prove he mailed it its on him
Steve

--------------------
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." — John Wayne

cr500
.300 member

#44143 - 16/12/05 06:27 PM

I have the bolt ,and thats all I have left of it. I bought the rifle without a bolt in the first place and then bought a bolt later. If I can do this ,then the person who stole it will be able to. I didnt actualy have it insured ,I just got a dealer to send it to another dealer ,I thought being a firearm ,it wouldnt go missing. But then ,they did lose a barrel of mine 3 months ago between customs and my place .

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
      #44144 - 16/12/05 06:38 PM

Put out some "For Sale" ads or the bolt and see if they're idiots...
Notify gunshops about someone looking for a bolt for this rifle. It couldn't hurt.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Re: My 458 Lott went missing in the mail. [Re: AkMike]
      #44145 - 16/12/05 06:46 PM

Get the dealer to fill in a missing postal item form at the post office
and start kicking up a fuss.

He shold have sent it registered mail anyway.

500 Nitro

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: My 458 Lott went missing in the mail. [Re: 500Nitro]
      #44147 - 16/12/05 07:57 PM

I agree with 500, if you give them a hard time it may turn up. You would think they would be more careful with firearms. He definitely should have sent it registered at the least.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

nitro476
.300 member

Reged: 21/10/04
      #44211 - 17/12/05 09:26 AM

I am sorry for your loss. I have found that the bulk of government employees are lazy and incompetent. There is a saying in the US that any form of government worker is a person that is unemployable in private industry. That said, I hope you get your rifle back.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: My 458 Lott went missing in the mail. [Re: nitro476]
      #44231 - 17/12/05 12:05 PM

As others have said, there's a lot you can do cr500. Registered mail is mandatory for firearms I'm sure. Australia Post have an internal investigation process, so get the details from the dealer and request an interview with APs security investigators. Remember there are mail delivery contractors in the loop these days, and AP staff will probably be just as keen as you to weed out any liabilities.

If all else fails, the dealer who sent the firearm should have some form of insurance cover for this eventuality.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: My 458 Lott went missing in the mail. [Re: Marrakai]
      #44235 - 17/12/05 12:35 PM

cr500

One thing I forgot to mention.

Get the State police at both end (where it was sent from and
where it was going through) involved and "conveniently mention"
this in your conversation to Australia Post by asking for a reference
number that you can pass onto the police for their investigation.

Also - mention to Australia Post that you will be cotacting the
FEDERAL POLICE as well and that they would like to know
in case it may be part of a wider firearms theft and trafficking
and then watch people jump !!! (or try to persuade you otherwise).

It will put a rocket under any investigation if they think the
police are involved.

You have nothing to lose by getting them involved.

500 Nitro

cr500
.300 member

Re: My 458 Lott went missing in the mail. [Re: 500Nitro]
      #44347 - 18/12/05 04:52 PM

I have contacted my local police who couldnt care less ,so after talking to the gunshop ,I will be going to the main police station in town tomorrow. The dealer who sent the gun ,has contacted the firearms registery in his state. They lost a barrel of mine for a while which was sent registered mail as well and still couldnt tell me where it was. I will take it further to see what they can do. They just sent a compensation form to fill ,out which has a maximum of $100 pay out, woopee.

500Nitro
.450 member

#44348 - 18/12/05 05:10 PM

cr500

Typical of the police.

Good luck anyway.

500 Nitro

cr500
.300 member

#44889 - 26/12/05 12:23 PM

Well I went into the main central police station to report the missing gun as the other station didnt seem to care. Once again the attitude was a case of ,why are you bothering us with this. I would have thought that a rifle capable of shooting through Armagaurd vans would have aroused their interest a little. Once again it was a case of give me your number ,I will see what we find out. You guessed it ,no phone calls. I suppose they are all too busy on their speed cameras and booze buses to catch criminals. Maybe if I offer them a reward for finding the gun ,they might look into it. When 2 police pistols went missing in the mail ,they tracked it down within 2 days. To say I have lost any remaning faith in my local police would be an understatement.
If the gun gets used in a crime ,I would like to go to the media with the story about how they could have looked for the gun.

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
      #44915 - 26/12/05 06:58 PM

I hate cops like that. Whats the bet that if the rifle gets used in a crime they will be knocking on your door asking why you didn't make a fuss about it.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

safari_hunter
.224 member

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
      #44923 - 26/12/05 11:20 PM

cr500,

Have you tried contacting the SSAA? Local MP, State/Federal Police Minister?

Maybe even write to newspapers explaining the lack of care shown by the authorities.

Keep fighting and don't give up. Your rifle or the person responsible for its loss will be found.

cr500
.300 member

Re: My 458 Lott went missing in the mail. [Re: safari_hunter]
      #44956 - 27/12/05 09:54 AM

I will get onto the SSAA and see what they recommend. I will send a little story into the shooters journal as well. Someone suggested I send a letter to the police ombudsmans office ,so I might do this as well. My father is a journalist so I will see if he wants to do a story in the news paper as well. It just suprised me how little they cared about a rifle gone missing/stolen .

470Cap
.224 member

Reged: 24/12/05
      #45112 - 29/12/05 08:49 AM

Try ABC National talk-back. Australia Post does not need the bad press given they lost $30k worth of artwork a few months back ... but then that was uninsurred and fell off the back of the truck. You've done everything as required by law ... but a rifle is now missing with no concern shown by Police or Australia Post, let the ABC chase it up and your State and Federal members as well. Might as well make them do some work.
Also... some Post Offices will not handle anything over 1m length as it wont fit the steel cages they use for transport. It may very well be sitting in a Post Office somewhere, this is particularly so in the smaller Post Offices where long packages are placed to the side.
Good luck...

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: My 458 Lott went missing in the mail. [Re: 470Cap]
      #45128 - 29/12/05 11:28 AM

I wouldn't recommend the ABC route, or any media exposure for that matter. They could easily turn it around: "Even when the rules are followed, guns fall into the hands of criminals! Nobody should have guns...!"

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
      #45132 - 29/12/05 12:19 PM

I had a rifle posted ,registered from Townsville on 19 December ,arrived here on 23 Dec even with all the Xmas mail.
You might need to find out who the hunters are that work at the PO that your rifle was posted at !
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

rgp
.333 member

Reged: 17/06/04
Loc: TX & VIC
      #45155 - 29/12/05 02:55 PM

Isn't this dealer insured for such problems regardless of any limit set by Australia Post? And if the dealer can't provide a receipt for it from Australia Post then it probably means that he didn't send anything.

I'd ask the dealer who mailed it what they intend to do about it and if the answer isn't satisfactory remind him that solicitors and barristers are easy to find in the phone book.

Richard

Bushie
.224 member

Reged: 24/10/05
Loc: Australia
Re: My 458 Lott went missing in the mail. [Re: rgp]
      #46007 - 07/01/06 08:40 PM

cr500 ,
Assuming you flew to NT and back ? Why didn't you just take it on the plane with you ? A lot less stuffing around regardless of the fact that you have lost the rifle .Costs nothing .
Be warned though , Qantas do not insure firearms against loss or damage .
I'm with Marrakai , avoid media publicity please or we'll end up with a ban on the mailing of firearms .
BTW was your sending dealer smart enough to avoid using his business name or the business name of the receiving dealer when he mailed it ? Lots of firearm dealers do this so as not to advertise that the mailed package is likely to be a firearm .

Edited by Bushie (07/01/06 08:45 PM)

416SW
.224 member

Reged: 21/01/04
Loc: Melb Aust
Re: My 458 Lott went missing in the mail. [Re: Bushie]
      #46388 - 11/01/06 03:36 PM

cr500
If you have registry in QLD I would tell them as well.

Definetley you should contact the federal police.

Keep a diary of who you spoke to, when and where/how.
Put as much as you can in writing.
Would suggest writing to dealer in NT and getting him to reply in writing with copy of post receipt.

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: My 458 Lott went missing in the mail. [Re: Bushie]
      #46390 - 11/01/06 04:10 PM

Bushie

No airline will incure firearms or anything of value.

However security is so tight with these things now
that they are unlikely to lose it !!!

500 Nitro

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #46402 - 11/01/06 08:34 PM

cr500

1. Lots of good advice already posted. But the first step seeing its been reported to the cops if to get evidence it was posted by the dealer. I too believe it is mandatory by Australia Post that the firearm be sent as a registered post item, at least from my discussions with them and I would not do it any other way with them.

2. Registered Post also allows insurance, I assume none was bought by the dealer. Insisting on Registered Post and Insurance to $X,000 value should have been part of the deal. That way you at least would get some compensation.

3. If the dealer can supply a Registered Post receipt, evidently no record of its delivery to the receiving dealer has been received, so it is in AP's hands somewhere.

4. I suppose then to track in Aust Post where the registered parcel made it to.

5. The suggestions in contacting other Police units sounds a good idea and DON'T rely on the interstate dealer to do it as you mentioned. If they lost a firearm on their books it is a black mark against them. Contact the FIREARMS BRANCH in your state and possibly the other state as well not just the local station or a general station if you didn't do this. The local coppers in general duty hardly know which end is the barrel on a rifle and don't really know much.

As for the Australia Post staffing, I used to have an acquaintance who worked at the local Nuriootpa branch and a common friend. Sometime after the Aust Post 'acquaintance' left their employ my friend revealed to me, that the f#2&%*t ex-Aust Post acquaintance used to 'borrow' my shooting magazines, open them, read them, and a couple of weeks later re-seal them and send them on. So a real honest sort of place.

Good luck.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

cr500
.300 member

Re: My 458 Lott went missing in the mail. [Re: NitroX]
      #46458 - 12/01/06 11:43 PM

I have just come back from 2 weeks away at work. Now that I,m back ,I will ring around to the various police stations and firearms registerys to see if there are any updates. They havent rung home yet to leave any messages ,so I,m not expecting much. I didnt want to make it too public to avoid any backlash. I will get onto the SSAA to see what they recommend. So far there have been 3 police stations in 2 states notified as well as 2 firearms registeries in 2 states notified ,but no phone calls returned yet. None seem to interested.
The reason I sent it by mail instead of on the plane with me is that I flew my family over and was overloaded with family gear as it was. As I was spending a week in NT on holidays after the hunt ,I didnt want to have to cart the gun around while I was tripping around in the car.
BTW ,registered mail doesnt gaurantee that guns wont go missing. I had a barrel go missing and know of 2x pistols and 1x rifle which also went missing when sent to this store. The pistols belonged to the local police ,so they (and the thief) were recovered within 2 days.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8745

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com