Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .495 A-Square Caesar Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
NitroSteel
.275 member

Reged: 06/04/04
Loc: Georgia, USA
.495 A-Square Caesar Rifle
      #29177 - 09/04/05 04:10 AM

I am left handed and have been looking at buying a big-bore rifle. I've looked at the ballistics on the .495 A-Square and it looks really good. I would imagine that the recoil would be terrible, but this is a 12 lb.'ish gun so that should help at least some.

At any rate I've been eyeing this left-handed rifle for a while, but was wondering what ya'll thought on this caliber and this rifle in particular. It is around $2700 and barely used.

It is a CRF gun and has nice looking sights, wood, etc. I don't know how to post a picture either...

Thank you for your help.

--------------------
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid."

John Wayne

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
Re: .495 A-Square Caesar Rifle [Re: NitroSteel]
      #29181 - 09/04/05 06:17 AM

hummmm... Personally, I don't like the a-square rifles. Although probably a good weight for the caliber - they are too heavy and too "clubby" for me.

For that kind of money (and assuming you want something that big) you could get a nice big bore built on a Model 70 action.

Or start with a factory job - one of these in .375 and have it rebarreled to a different caliber if you like...

or for about $3K - you could get one of thier custom shop jobs in a variety of big-bore calibers...

Either way, I think you'll end up with a better rifle than the asquare... JMO

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #29200 - 09/04/05 12:37 PM

I think the 495 A-Square is a great caliber, and you can load it down to a .500 NE if you want. The LH action should be a model 70 Winchester. So if you do not like the A2 stock, it will be a simple matter to replace it with another.

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
Re: .495 A-Square Caesar Rifle [Re: 500grains]
      #29206 - 09/04/05 02:51 PM

I thought they were rem 700 actions in LH?

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

Westley_Richards
.224 member

Reged: 03/01/03
Loc: Boulder, Colorado
      #29227 - 10/04/05 12:34 AM

I have an A-Square Hannibel in .416 Rigby. Synthetic stock and teflon covered stainless all weather package. Pretty good rifle and design. Forward mount scout style scope. Accurate and comfortable to shoot. I do wack my thump on the bolt if I'm not careful. Overall, I'd say technically very good; asthetically just a bit crude around the edges. Still, I would buy another. Took two years to make because Art had a bit of political trouble.
I believe the .495 A-square is an excellant cartridge. I cannot fault your choice of rifle or caliber.
But I would like to ask rhetorically "How much gun can I shoot accurately, consistently, from the hunting positions that I use. I guess I fall into the "Use Enough Gun (but not more than I can handle)" argument. I developed a pretty good flinch shooting a .416 Rigby. In shooting I gradually forgot the purpose was not just to survive another shot but to actually hit something. My flinching cost me a Zebra in Namibia. I worked on cureing myself at Gunsite, and am still suseptable to flinching in the quick shooting situations that are African hunting.
So my long winded point is if I could shoot a .495 A-Square comfortably,consistently, accurately and without flinch in hunting environments then I would feel better about recommending one to you.
Westley Richards

--------------------
It's in the salt.

500grains
.416 member

Re: .495 A-Square Caesar Rifle [Re: new_guy]
      #29238 - 10/04/05 03:11 AM

new guy,

THe 495 A2 was designed to be used in a reworked model 70. Whether someone got a wild hair and built one on a M700, I cannot say.

NitroSteel
.275 member

Re: .495 A-Square Caesar Rifle [Re: Westley_Richards]
      #29261 - 10/04/05 12:49 PM

Some very good points Wesley Richards. I've never shot anything over 375 H&H, but I didn't think that it was bad at all. I was really suprised at how it handled.

I'm not sure if it is anywhere in the same neighborhood, but I shoot alot of 3" and 3-1/2 inch magnum duck loads out of an O/U... They seem to kick much harder than any rifle I've ever shot. One of my friends has a .444 Marlin and it seems to kick a good bit more than the .375 and the 45-70, but it is not really that bad either.

I'm not really sure how much of a gun I can handle, but I don't really know anyone local that has a gun bigger than .375 to shoot... I've thought of buying a Ruger #1 in 458 Lott, just to see how bad it kicks... but I really don't think I want a Ruger #1 in that caliber, I'd rather have a bolt gun, but don't want to spend $2k finding out if it is too much gun for me. How would a caliber like the .495 A-square, 505 Gibbs, or 500 Jeffery compare to the 458 Lott? How does the 458 Lott compare to a 3 inch 12 gauge magnum Turkey Load (2 ounce loads are pretty rattling)? I've read stories about 8 quick shots from a 458 Lott making your nose bleed, but wasn't sure if that was reality or not.

Thanks for all of the help.

--------------------

John Wayne

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #29265 - 10/04/05 01:32 PM

In reply to:

Took two years to make because Art had a bit of political trouble.

Political trouble? I thought he was just a thief. He stole well into 6 figures from his suppliers and customers.

Even SCI threw him out.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: .495 A-Square Caesar Rifle [Re: mickey]
      #29275 - 10/04/05 03:40 PM

mickey
Art also had some trouble with the ATF. I think that might be the "political" trouble refered to.

Westley_Richards
.224 member

#29287 - 11/04/05 02:29 AM

Is your goal then to own the largest caliber that you can stand the recoil of? Another approach would be to consider the use that you intend to put the rifle to. Hunting what kind of game? Shooting what kind of targets? etc. This would then guide you as to what kinds of rifle calibers work best. Then you could decide on which caliber you like best for a given task. Or...

You could see how much recoil you could stand. My take on 3-3&1/2 shotgun duck loads in an O/U is that the recoil is sharper but since a large caliber rifle moves more mass they have a stronger push. I own a .500N that pushes me harder than I find pleasant and just a bit harder than I find acceptable..It's all relative.

When you shoot a .375H&H does it feel like "HOLY SHIT!!!" Or
does it feel like something you could get used to? A .375 H&H is an excellant, historical, pedigreed, English cartridge that can be used in hunting anything any where in the world. The original reason for development of larger nitro cartridges from the original black powder was for damage control with situations already made dangerous. Like wounded elephant, buffalo, etc. where a good clean shot would only make the animal more angry. A PH would have use of a .495 A-Square to back up a client like me who screwed up a simple shot and made it a situation.

WR

--------------------
It's in the salt.

Westley_Richards
.224 member

Re: .495 A-Square Caesar Rifle [Re: NE450No2]
      #29288 - 11/04/05 02:35 AM

The ATF trouble was what was given to me by Art as reason for delays in production of my rifle. I have noticed that A-Square has been absent from Safari Club for the last few years, but I had no idea they kicked him out. Too bad, because I think he has good ideas and makes a good rifle. I've read his reloading "Any Shot You Want" and find it quite enlightening.
WR

--------------------
It's in the salt.

500grains
.416 member

#29296 - 11/04/05 07:52 AM

A-Square has new ownership and has tried to make things right with past customers. If someone is still left holding the bag, he should contact Mike Smith at A-Square to work things out.

NitroSteel
.275 member

#29299 - 11/04/05 10:37 AM

The rifle will mostly be used for target shooting. It will one day be used for elephant and buffalo, but realistically will probably fire less than a box of shells at dangerous game - - for financial reasons, like for most everyone else.

When we shoot the .375 we usually shoot 20 rounds each on Saturdays, we shoot from the bench and standing. I shoot the .375 well, it is not something that I feel like I COULD get used to, - - - it is something that I feel like I am used to.

I want to get the biggest caliber that I CAN get used to shooting, but nothing that is so big that I'll never want to shoot again or that physical injures me.

--------------------

John Wayne

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #29675 - 18/04/05 02:03 PM

500 Grains,

It is Jim Smith and he is a gentleman. I agree with the other posters about Art Alphin being less than honest but the new owner is a gentleman and this is from my personal experience as well as my on and off communication with him.

Anyone interested could contact him at JSmith@A-Squarecompany.com

Best wishes and good hunting,

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

GeorgeS
.275 member

Reged: 30/01/03
Loc: Metro NYC
      #29849 - 22/04/05 02:32 AM

The Caesars were built on Sako actions, if I remember correctly.

The .495A2 is a potent round, but I suggest building something like a .458 Lott or .470 Capstick on a Model 70 action. It will handle more like a rifle, and less like a railroad tie.

George

--------------------

"Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!"

NitroSteel
.275 member

Re: .495 A-Square Caesar Rifle [Re: GeorgeS]
      #29860 - 22/04/05 06:40 AM

It seems like I've changed my mind a thousand times, but after shooting a right handed bolt Saturday (practicing 3 fast shots in 5-6 seconds), I did pretty well with a right-handed gun. Of course I grew up shooting right-handed guns, but I have owned left-handed bolts also. I really don't think a left-handed gun would be much (if any) faster for me, especially one in such a large caliber.

That being said, I may opt for something like the Factory Winchester Model 70 or more than likely a Ruger RSM - - since it is offered in 458 Lott.

I figure if I get the Ruger in 458 Lott it will be easy to get rid of if I don't like it. I've never actually "seen" one of these guns, but I like the looks of the pictures. The only thing I wasn't sure of was the sights...

Can someone take a picture of the rear sight from the shooters-view and post it for me to look at??? It would be greatly appreciated.

Where is the best place to pick up a new Ruger? I found one on gunsamerica for $1310, but was hoping to find one cheaper if there is such a place...

Thanks again,

NitroSteel

--------------------

John Wayne

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6061

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com