Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: CZ 550 markings

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
Nframe
.275 member

Reged: 29/12/04
Loc: United States
CZ 550 markings
      #26579 - 20/02/05 05:26 PM

Just got my 550 American safari and see that the original factory barrel is marked 458 Winchester Magnum. it was built according to the factory target in July of last year. Does CZ just import the guns as 458 WM's and rechamber here in the US?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: CZ 550 markings [Re: Nframe]
      #26587 - 21/02/05 02:53 AM

That's pretty cheesy of them. JudgeG had one some time back and had Roger Ferrel tweak it for him. His had the 458WM struck out and restamped to say 458 Lott. Evidently, there still some conversion barrels on these Lotts until they sell them all off.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

vladimir
.224 member

Reged: 13/12/04
Loc: Louisville, Ky USA
      #26600 - 21/02/05 11:06 AM

Nframe,

Mine has .458 Lott stamped above the .458 stamping. The Lott stamp does appear to be a different lettering font than the (factory) WinMag.

Regardless, I really like my rifle. It is very accurate and a good buy for the money. Hope yours works out for you.

-Vlad

Nframe
.275 member

Re: CZ 550 markings [Re: 475Guy]
      #26611 - 21/02/05 04:08 PM

Yeah I thought it was a little cheesy also, but oh well as long as it shoots well!

csutton7
.275 member

Reged: 17/02/05
Loc: SF, CA
      #26637 - 22/02/05 05:47 AM

there's a lot of them out there with the win mag X'ed out--should be nothing to worry about--I think all they're doing is using up the 458 barrels that were previously stamped with WIN MAG to get the LOTT out there--chris

foxfire
.375 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Long Island N.Y.,
      #26646 - 22/02/05 12:18 PM

Nframe, I think I'd have a little trouble digesting the fact that I bought a "NEW 458 LOTT" that was stamped Winchester Magnum. Hell I'd even be angry with it being over stamped.

What will U.S. customs say when you bring it in for inspection. Is it a lott or a W.Mag? How will they fill in the papers. What will it look like when you land in RSA with a gun stamped 458 Win Mag, maybe a declaration for a who knows and 11 pounds of ammo for a 458 Lott.

This smells really bad and I think I'd have a problem with the dealer over this.

--------------------
No good deed goes unpunished

csutton7
.275 member

Re: CZ 550 markings [Re: foxfire]
      #26655 - 22/02/05 05:11 PM

foxfire--I'd think or hope that you could note the X's on the paperwork to avoid a prob---

yes, in a way the X'd out Win Mag is a little backdoorish, but they're selling them and I don't think many are being returned because of this--chris

foxfire
.375 member

Re: CZ 550 markings [Re: csutton7]
      #26661 - 22/02/05 11:20 PM

Chris, Nframe says:
In reply to:

Just got my 550 American safari and see that the original factory barrel is marked 458 Winchester Magnum.

I could only hope he also means the action is stamped 458 Lott. He doesn't say anything about it being xxxxed out.

With reference to you statement
In reply to:

I'd think or hope that you could note the X's on the paperwork to avoid a prob

What paper work? A gun doesn't come with a builders certificate of origin. You get a test target and a bill (probably handwritten) from the dealer. Why do I only see a problem with this at customs and if your checking in at RSA airport with the police there.

I'm still sorry but if I got it from the dealer that way even after waiting a year it's going back.
I see it like ordering a Lincoln Navigator and having the dealer drive up with a Ford Expedition with duct tape over the name plates and the new name plates glued over them.

When I buy new, pay for new, I expect new not some Rube Goldberg rendition of new.

--------------------

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #26665 - 23/02/05 01:14 AM

Dude, I think you're getting into an uproar about nothing. The CZ's are going for about $500 & change in most parts and even here in Kalifornia if you look hard enough (cheap rifles). Every one I've looked and handled was rough out of the box. The CZ is capturing a marketing niche that is not addressed by the other manufacturers at the moment. Evidently, they'll catch up and surpass Ruger as the biggest sellers of Safari Rifles if their new prices and new selections in calibers are any indication.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

foxfire
.375 member

Re: CZ 550 markings [Re: 475Guy]
      #26667 - 23/02/05 02:08 AM

475GUY,
I'm not in an uproar, I don't own one nor do I plan to buy one. I was trying to point out what I thought was a potential pitfall with certain government agencies. My feelings for what I thought of the whole process couldn't help but be interjected.

Someone please tell me what they think will happen with customs or the RSA police when they get there. My impressions were to have everything above board so no one could trip you up during the process.

--------------------

csutton7
.275 member

#26730 - 24/02/05 04:56 AM

Foxfire--- I guess we need NFrame to set us straight as if the WIN MAG was X'd out--everyone I've heard of was, but that doesn't mean all of them were--

did you know that the 458 lott can fire 458 win mag ammo

so one could take their 458 lott to Africa with 458 win mag ammo--

how the paperwork is handled is another story that will have to be confirmed by someone who's been there done it---but as long as you fill out the proper forms and note the markings(X'd out or not) that are needed to get your rifle into another country and then back into the U.S. I don't think there would be a prob--but again one never knows--chris

Nframe
.275 member

Re: CZ 550 markings [Re: csutton7]
      #26761 - 24/02/05 04:23 PM

Sorry guys I've been away from my computer. No the 458 WM markings are not x'd out at all! Both markings are intact, it's not a concern for me about traveling overseas as I can't afford to go anyway. I was just curious as to whether everyone's 550 were the same way although I can see how it would be a problem trying to get it in country for your dream safari.

foxfire
.375 member

#26775 - 24/02/05 10:59 PM

Nframe, I think I like it better that the 458 Win Mag is still in tact. As Chris pointed out the gun shoots both bullets and typically could be a 458 win mag/ 458 lott.
I would think of it as a 38 special/357 magnum.
I still don't like that xxxxx'ed out thing.

Realizing that you might not travel across the world it would be nice to hear if anyone had any experience with this sort of thing yet.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 131 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2812

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com