Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: safe pressure for a Krag

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
Charles
.275 member

Reged: 13/12/07
Loc: Texas
safe pressure for a Krag
      #201197 - 31/01/12 05:24 AM

In the book Big Bore Rifles, the author of the section on the 405 stated that he had some experience with a 405 made on a Krag. Well, I just ran across a Krag action and wonder if any of you have experience with the pressures they can stand. Daryl gave me some good numbers that make it appear safe if reloaded right. If you have some experience in this matter, I would appreciate your comments. AIN'T THIS STUFF GRAND !!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: safe pressure for a Krag [Re: Charles]
      #201307 - 01/02/12 04:49 AM

For an acrimoneous discussion of just this subject try: http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-485955.html

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: safe pressure for a Krag [Re: xausa]
      #201390 - 02/02/12 02:28 AM

Note (link) how they got into an argument about pressures, etc, with the fellow from Alaska talking about breech-bolt thrust from straighter sided cases being less than more tapered cases, along with the 'proof' of Ackley's testing. Anyone who's read those books, knows he knew what he was talking about, in those tests he peformed.

The opinion armed fellows used the highly tapered 9mm case as an example of severe back thrust in a virtually straight case. Unfortunately, their opinions are greatly flawed. First of all, it's a very short case and even though it has only .005" taper per side it only has .5" of case wall contact with the chamber. That sounds like an almost straight case. Not so. Multiply that taper by 5.166, which is the difference in length of bearing surface, and we find the rate of taper of the 9mm would be .0258 per side, 51.6 thousandths total which is more than double what the .405's taper is and even .0088" more per side than the sloping sided Krag case. That makes the Krag case look straight. No wonder the blow-back aciton works so well with the 9mm case. Only .5" bearing and far from a straight sided case as well. Thus it has very little purchase on the chamber walls. Thus it is a poor example of anything other than a "spray and pray" pistol round.

Now, getting back to the situation at hand, the funny thing is the Krag has virtually the same rim diameter as the .405Winchester,thus if developing the same pressure, would have the same breech thrust, if of the same taper - but they aren't. Case diameters are slightly different, but not very much - .003" total. That isn't enoug to make one iota of difference. Now, another aspect in favor of the .405 in this situation, is it also is almost 1/2" longer adn indeed, has 1/2'longer bearing surface on the chamber. Since the .405 has less taper as well, it developes less breech thrust than the more tapered case, if both are fired in dry chambers. Oil the chamber and the breech thrust increases - as in not wiping all sizing lube from the case. Most actions don't care with normal under 60,00psi rounds, but I'd made sure I cleaned all ctgs. for the weaker actions.
Those who undestand this sort of thing, know this as fact. Those who use their opinions as fact, will dispute this- it's a free world. Some people seem to think that the straight tapered case has more bolt thrust than one with a neck - again, their opinion is flawed - it doesn't happen that way. The sloping neck of the Krag round does not help the round 'stick' in the chamber under maximum pressure due to it's more radical taper.

The fellows on the link forum spoke of chamber pressure differences - all their own speculations - no facts were given. Here are the facts.

Taper
.30/40 taper - .017" per side, .034" total.
.405 taper---- .012" per side, .024" total ie; winner

Pressure ratings
.30/40 Krag - 47,000psi CIP
.405 Win - 36,000PSI CIP and 44,000PSI SAAMI - ie: winner

Now, would someone with actual facts instead of merley their, in all likelyhood, honest opinion, please tell me why this conversion is unsafe when made with a modern 4140 or 4150 rifle barrel from a reputable company, like Pac-Nor, Shilen, Badger, Kreiger, Hart or McGowen. Sorry about the multitude of good barrels I omitted.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DarylS
.700 member

Re: safe pressure for a Krag [Re: DarylS]
      #201397 - 02/02/12 03:10 AM

Correction.

On the pressure chart I have, the .405's SAAMI pressure listing has an ^ over it. The ^ means that 44,000psi is the pressure extropolated from loading data in books in the States and that there is no real SAAMI standard listed.

As I understand the CIP and SAAMI standards, is that in Europe, the ammo makers have to load to those pressures, but in the States, SAAMI is merely a suggestion, not an absolute # that must be followed exactly.

This is noted in the text accompanying the pressure chart.

They also noted that the CIP Pezio recordings are taken at the case mouth, which lists a slightly lower (normally) listing than the SAAMI PSI Pezio recordings which are taken on the case body, just up from the head.

I'm certainly not saying the SAAMI suggestions shouldn't be followed, just that I found that an interesting difference in the rules & methods of measuring.

I edited the meaning of ^. My rememberer wasn't quite correct.

--------------------
Daryl

Edited by Daryl_S (02/02/12 03:16 AM)

Otto
.300 member

Reged: 15/09/05
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: safe pressure for a Krag [Re: DarylS]
      #201410 - 02/02/12 05:27 AM

What you read in this post is personal experience with U.S. Krags over the past 20+ years. I'm nutty enough to have built Krags in 22Krag, 257 rimmed, 7x57 rimmed, 30-40, 8x57 rimmed, 35 Win, and 40-60 Maynard (1882)...actually a .416 on a full length 30-40 case. In addition to my experience, friends in Alaska ground the front single lug off a Krag bolt and proceeded to destroy the action by overloading 30-40s with the guide rib and bolt root as the locking surfaces. They started with max loads from a Lyman manual and couldn't blow it up until they switched to a stupid heavy load with bullseye. No doubt some Krag actions were burnt by the eyeball heat treatment, but most of these self destructed long ago. For anyone wanting to shoot a Krag, I consider headspace a huge determinant of safety. Zero headspace will ensure the bolt face doesn't get slapped every time it's fired. If a new barrel is in the equation, just set the chamber so there's slight resistance as you close the bolt. With mismatched bolt and receiver, it's likely there will be excess headspace with normal breeching, and one must machine a tiny .600" diameter extension ring to tighten the headspace on the rim to zero...not a problem for any smithy. The modern chrome moly barrel in a Krag with zero headspace will be strong and trouble free...as Daryl correctly surmised. If working with an original 30-40, I suggest adjusting the shoulder on your cases to achieve zero headspace by using a 338 expander and necking back until resistance is felt closing the bolt. I've one action where the single lug was lapped until the guide rib was bearing on the rear ring...making it a two lug action with a safety lug at the bolt handle root. Whether all that work results in a stronger action is intuitively appealing, but the front lug and/or the lug recess in the action will necessarily lose some surface hardening, so it may not be. I also consider slower powders to be best for full power loads in Krags to, again, mitigate any slap to the bolt face. Before he retired, Cliff LaBounty was making a 35 Win for a famous guy and called to discuss the job. He, a master machinist, swooned over the craftsmanship in a Krag action, and neither of us could figure exactly how some of the internal machining was done...broaching perhaps. In any event, a nice sporting rifle on a Krag action can provide both utility and aesthetic satisfaction.

Otto

DarylS
.700 member

Re: safe pressure for a Krag [Re: Otto]
      #201454 - 02/02/12 11:25 AM

The Krags I've handled have been very nice indeed - so smooth, and would make a terrific moderate pressure big game hunting rifles - for me & some others, apparently.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2614

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com