Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mercury Recoil Supressors.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
Martin
.224 member

Reged: 15/09/04
Loc: British
Mercury Recoil Supressors.
      #19341 - 21/09/04 10:42 PM

Firstly, thank you to all who helped with my other posts.

Do mercury recoil sopressors really work - or are they just another way of adding weight? Browns Precision told me they prefer not to fit them to new custom rifles as it upsets the balance of the gun (?) while Dakota fit up to three!

Presumably, a pound of mercury swishing around is worth more than a pound of dead weight? Normally, I would have a .400 built to 10 lbs. If mercury surpressors are fitted, how much could the weight of the rifle be reduced for the same recoil resistance?

Martin

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JDD
.224 member

Reged: 22/09/04
Re: Mercury Recoil Supressors. [Re: Martin]
      #19343 - 22/09/04 12:37 AM

Hi Martin

I installed one in my forearm, and one in the butt stock.
They weigh about 11 oz each if I remenber correctly.The one in the forearm is about 5 " long and about a 1/2" in dia. both were bought from Brownells. I also added 3/4 lb of devcon steel in glassbeding of the rifle stock. My goal was to strength up the stock. The additional mass is what matters the most. The finished rifle a Interarms Mark X in 375 and weighs about 12 lbs with a 30mm scope and warne rings and bases. Recoil is not nearly as sharp, the balance of the rifle is great and points real well.
I am back on target much faster. I am hopeing that the additional 2 lbs wont't be to much to carry. If you are in shape to carry a 10 lb rifle is 12lb to much ? I am betting it is not.

JD

450Dakota
.300 member

Reged: 18/03/04
Loc: California, USA
      #19347 - 22/09/04 02:29 AM

They work very well, I would suggest one in the forend and one in the buttstock.. I would start out with a 8lb or less rifle. Anything over 10lbs gets very tiring in hard hunting conditions. Or if in Africa you can alway's have a tracker carry the the thing, but I personaly prefer to carry my own no matter what the conditions are...450Dakota

Martin
.224 member

Re: Mercury Recoil Supressors. [Re: JDD]
      #19350 - 22/09/04 02:47 AM

Hi, thanks for the input.

A twelve pound rifle is doubtless fine if you are young and fit, but unfortunately the big SIX-0 is creeping up, so the thought of lugging a twelve pound rifle around the bush all day in the African heat definately does not appeal. That weight should surely quell the recoil though JD.

I too, prefer to carry my own rifle Dakota. Based on experience, do you, or anyone else, fancy having a stab at how much I could reduce the weight of a ten pounds H & H .400, to give the same recoil, using mercury supressors? The rifle will not be scoped.

Martin

450Dakota
.300 member

Reged: 18/03/04
Loc: California, USA
      #19353 - 22/09/04 08:18 AM

Sorry Martin, The way I worded my statement left it open for confusion. I would start out with an 8lb rifle and add the reducers as needed, hopefully staying at or under 10lbs. A good fitting 8lb rifle will bother you less than a 10lb poor fitting rifle as far as recoil goes..450Dakota

JDD
.224 member

Reged: 22/09/04
      #19357 - 22/09/04 12:08 PM

Hi Martin
The scope and rings weigh about 1.5 lb. I put a lot of bedding material due to the stock starting to split behind the tang. The 375 mark X did not kick too bad prior to the work. It has a whitworh stock that I like a lot. I have not shoot 300 gr bullets yet, but the Federal 270 Nosler accubonds kick about the same as my beretta 7 lb over and under 12 gauge with mag loads.

JD

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Mercury Recoil Supressors. [Re: JDD]
      #19374 - 23/09/04 07:54 AM

12 lbs. is too heavy to pack all day in the African heat IMO and unnecessary...A 375 should weigh 9 to 9.5 lbs with scope....

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Mercury Recoil Supressors. [Re: atkinson6]
      #19416 - 24/09/04 03:30 PM

I had one fitted into my .500 Jeffrey and it makes a world of difference.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Martin
.224 member

#19423 - 25/09/04 04:04 AM

Ray Atkinson is quite correct when he says that a .375 should weigh 9 - 91/2 pounds - but with scope??? Many find that when hunting in the bush they prefer iron sights, particularly in tricky situations; the very time when confidence is crucial.

I used to live in Africa, and neither my own .375 nor any of my friends' .375s or big bores were ever scoped. So be careful. A 9lb scoped rifle will likely weigh 8 lbs with the scoped removed. A 300g bullet, even loaded down to 2400 M/V, will give such a hell of a crack from an 8lb .375 rifle that it is unlikely to inspire confidence in anyone! H & H build their .375s for stock (inventory) to 91/2 pounds, and with good reason. Several years ago Holland's produced a few at 9lbs and everybody complained they kicked like a mule. A 9lb scoped .375 may be fine; just remember to weld on the scope!

"The H & H .375 is as American as apple pie" ???? Come on Ray: I certainly do not wish to spoil the "special relationship", but the H & H .375 is British - and we were eating apple pie when the Mayflower was still at sea.

Martin

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #19479 - 28/09/04 05:52 AM

Now Now Martin, were it not for the pre 64 M-70, the old 375 would have ended up just another old worn out British cartridge!

M82A1Barret50Cal
.275 member

Reged: 12/04/04
Loc: ACT, Australia
      #19485 - 28/09/04 12:32 PM

Martin,
I agree with you on the issue of the scope to some extent. If you are in thick bush then I would definatly go for iron sights, but if it's a bit more open then you might be better off going for a scope, from personal experiance I just find that on grounds it's easier to use a scoped rifle.

M82A1

Martin
.224 member

#19559 - 01/10/04 02:31 AM

O.K. Ray, not sure about the apple pie though? I read somewhere it was Henry VIII’s favourite!

On a more serious note, I should really appreciate your considered view on mercury suppressors. Some seem to really like them, but the London gun makers do not seem to share that view. Like them, I have always believed that the weight should, as much as possible, be between the hands: not in the end of the butt. Churchills recently told me that they did not think mercury suppressors worked well with big bores; they fitted one to the 470 double they have for sale, but only to bring it up to weight. (It was ordered too light.) We are talking about a .416 / 400 (H & H), no scope, and a weight, if no suppressors and impeccably balanced, of 10 pounds.

Martin

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3368

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com