Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Synthetic Stocks

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
Martin
.224 member

Reged: 15/09/04
Loc: British
Synthetic Stocks
      #19285 - 18/09/04 11:42 PM

Help a Brit?

I am about to take advantage of the more upbeat and "modern" rifle culture, and commission a new custom rifle to be bult in the U.S. The calibre is not finally decided but will probably be H & H .400 - although everyone now seems to be going mad about the .404. I should like to use a synthetic stock but have no experience of these.

My concern is that I shall have to fit the stock, rather than the stock being made to fit me. I do not wish to scope this rifle so need a stock which will work well with express sights on a quater rib - sufficent drop, cast, etc. - but I shall have to order the stock "blind".

I understand that the Brown's Precision Pro Hunter stock is designed for iron sights but I do not like the look of the style. McMillan seem to offer stocks that appear to be more like the "English" traditional design, similar to the Winchester Safari, but I understand they work best with a highish ramp rather than an elegant quater rib which may be too low. (Don't like high quater ribs). The action will likely be ccfHEIN, so anything that will fit an M70 action will be fine.

Does anyone know of a synthetic stock with enough drop to work perfectly with a quater rib, or has anyone made the transition on an iron sighted big bore, from a properly fitted custom wooden stock to a synthetic one? Did it work out fine? Any good suggestions or comments would be very much appriciated.

Martin

Edited by Martin (19/09/04 09:24 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
450Dakota
.300 member

Reged: 18/03/04
Loc: California, USA
Re: Synthetic Stocks [Re: Martin]
      #19335 - 21/09/04 11:11 AM

Martin I think your screwed! I looked high and low for about a year and could not find a thing. McMillan as you mentioned is a scope only option IMO as far as I'm concerned. BTW, fiberglass resonates (sp?) and transfers energy, ya sure you want to put that on a big boomer? I had spent some time with a custom CZ 602 .416 Rem with a show walnut stock and a McMillan glass stock to hunt with. Both about the same drop and comb, ect.ect. Recoil was noticeably less snappy with the wood.I Admit though, stock shape was likely just as much of an influence for each stock...

450D

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Synthetic Stocks [Re: 450Dakota]
      #19336 - 21/09/04 05:00 PM

In reply to:

BTW, fiberglass resonates (sp?) and transfers energy

If this is true of fiberglass, are the other types of synthetic materials that would vibrate less? Such as Kevlar or whatever other options are available?

Erik D.

WyoJoe
.300 member

Reged: 18/02/04
Loc: Cheyenne, WY USA
Re: Synthetic Stocks [Re: Martin]
      #19337 - 21/09/04 05:37 PM

You might want to give these folks a try http://www.bellandcarlson.com/ I have one of their stocks on my .300 H&H and it feels great.

--------------------
There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1640

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com