Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Help me choose my next big bore caliber

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
RobertD
.275 member

Reged: 16/11/03
Loc: East Bay, CA, USA
Help me choose my next big bore caliber
      #16586 - 12/07/04 03:02 AM

Hey there!

I am thinking of what caliber to choose for my next project with a VZ24 Mauser. Here are my criteria:

* must have a COL of no more than 3.328 inches, which is the max length the magazine can handle. This rules out some really nice calibers, though.

* must be larger than the 458 bore, since I already have a 458 Win Mag and a 416 Rigby.

* must have a good supply of good brass, I don't have a problem buying brass at 2.00 bucks a pop but I sure don't want to be stuck with a sole source of soft brass.

Any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated!

RobertD

--------------------
NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
SCI Golden Gate Member

"Time is never found, if you want time for something, you have to make it."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Help me choose my next big bore caliber [Re: RobertD]
      #16595 - 12/07/04 09:05 AM

With those criteria, I believe you will be dealing with a wildcat. Nothing at all wrong with that, and might I add if you are going to do a wildcat might as well do your very own!

Scott

Ingwe
.275 member

Reged: 08/07/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Help me choose my next big bore caliber [Re: ScottS]
      #16597 - 12/07/04 09:24 AM

That's easy - just neck a .458 win up to .505! You can call it the .505 Aggie Magnum!

--------------------

Learn from other people's mistakes - you can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

RobertD
.275 member

#16609 - 12/07/04 01:37 PM

Yep!

I have thought about another wildcat. I already have one, the 350 African Express. Fred Zeglin has the reamer for it. It's a 35 cal rifle that pushes a 280g bullet at 2800 fps. The original goal was 250g at 3050 fps, but I am now thinking that 250g at 2800 fps is a better option due to the long and excellent track record of slugs at 2000 to 2600 fps on game.

If I did a wildcat, the 50-110 brass case is a good option since Starline makes it and it capable of 48,000 psi. That would give me a 50 cal rifle with a 510 bore.

The 458 can't neck up to 505, as it isn't wide enough at the neck and still maintain a decent taper. I have thought about cutting down Rigby brass or use Weatherby belted cases and cut them down. Doing that is one heack of a lot of brass work, given the 50-110 brass available now.

The only drawback to the 50-110 is the fact it is a rimmed cartridge and this is a bolt action. It seems hard for me to believe no one has done this before.

RobertD

--------------------
NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
SCI Golden Gate Member

**DONOTDELETE**

#16632 - 13/07/04 05:51 AM

Robert,

I drew up a wildcat for the Vz24 based upon the 460 Weatherby magnum belted case. I called it a 50 carbine, it has commercialized by SKS and they call it the 50 Whisper. No I did not conspire with them. I drew it up about 10 years ago, I don't know if that predates the 50 Whisper or not to be honest.

Anyway, the point is, you don't necessarily have to use a 50-110 case as a basis for a 0.51" bore cartridge that will feed through the Vz24 without having to open to old girl up.

Drawing from memory, the case was 2.375" long with a COL of 3.25". The case had a cylinderical neck 0.4" long similar to the A Square designs. Essentially this was a shortened 495 A Square.

The case had an internal volume of ~ 112 grain of water.

With a 535 grain Woodleigh SP the ballistics software predicted a muzzle velocity of ~ 2200 fps @ 55,000 psi from a 22.5" barrel

OR

With a 450 grain Barnes Original the ballisitics software predicted a muzzle velocity of ~ 2300 fps aa@ 55000 psi from a 22.5" barrel.

Anyway, never got around to have a reamer made up or anything else for that matter. Would really "wake-up" a Vz24 though.

Scott

RobertD
.275 member

#16661 - 13/07/04 03:51 PM

Very interesting thought...The 50 Whisper, eh? I will check it out. Certainly, brass ia avaiable and good stuff at that, too!

I did look at the 50 Alaskan, but it seemed a bit short of a round for the action length.

Thanks for the tip,

RobertD

--------------------
NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
SCI Golden Gate Member

**DONOTDELETE**

#16693 - 14/07/04 08:31 AM

Robert,

I as speaking specifically about my wildcat design. I know the 50 Whisper is very similar, but I do not know the actual case dimensions.

Now you have me wanting to build one too. Ugh!

Scott

GeorgeS
.275 member

Reged: 30/01/03
Loc: Metro NYC
      #16731 - 15/07/04 02:45 AM

.425 Express, which is a .300 Winchester Magnum necked up to .423".

George

--------------------

"Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2150

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com