Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Custom Left Hand Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
NitroSteel
.275 member

Reged: 06/04/04
Loc: Georgia, USA
Custom Left Hand Rifle
      #14069 - 28/04/04 08:36 AM

Decisions, Decisions...

I'm looking at getting a rifle for an African Safari pretty soon. The largest thing I'll probably have the opportunity (money) to shoot is a Cape Buffalo and plains game, although I'd love to be able to go back for an elephant someday. I'd really like to use the same gun each time I go back on safari (assuming I'll get to go again). I'm probably going to go with a 375 H&H, unless you can convince me otherwise (would this be o.k. for an elephant later?). Part of me wants to go with something like a 416 Rigby (more traditional & more powerful), but the cost of ammo, the recoil, and the size (for other game) make this seem like a bad choice.

Since I'm left handed, I'm probably going to opt for a left-handed bolt action. I'm not dead-set against a double rifle, I just don't know enough about them to spend over $10k and then wish I'd bought something different.

The guns I'm looking at are the Dakota Arms and most recently the H S Precision. What do ya'll think about these gunmakers? I've heard enough bad stuff about the new Winchester's to just go ahead and skip them, and they were about the only other choice for a left hand bolt. Any other left hand bolt gun maker in the "less than $5k" price range that ya'll can recommend? What do ya'll think of the take down Dakota bolt action rifle?

Lots of questions I know. Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,

NitroSteel

--------------------
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid."

John Wayne

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
M82A1Barret50Cal
.275 member

Reged: 12/04/04
Loc: ACT, Australia
Re: Custom Left Hand Rifle [Re: NitroSteel]
      #14081 - 28/04/04 04:19 PM

I think you would be suprised with the recoil with the 416. Personally I don't find it much worse that a 375H&H although there is a difference I find it to be not that huge. If you can't handle the 416 thats cool because many people can't. My choice of the two gunmakers would be HS Precision. I also like Kimber (high quality for the price you pay) personally but I don't know what they have in the way of left handed bolts. If you've got a crap load of money then you could always look at Purdey or Holland & Holland as they both make left handed bolt action rifles as well as their doubles. Anyone agree with me on this???

M82A1

GeorgeS
.275 member

Reged: 30/01/03
Loc: Metro NYC
Re: Custom Left Hand Rifle [Re: M82A1Barret50Cal]
      #14100 - 29/04/04 06:06 AM

In reply to:

If you've got a crap load of money then you could always look at Purdey or Holland & Holland as they both make left handed bolt action rifles as well as their doubles

As far as I know, neither of the above makes LH bolt-actions.

NitroSteel,

Get yourself a LH M-70 .375H&H (I have six of them) and be done with it. It is CRF, it is relatively inexpensive, and it is chambered for a perfectly wonderful cartridge.
If you go back for elephant, have it rebarreled to .416 Remington (or .458 Lott or a .470 Capstick, like mine ).

The proprietary H-S Precision action is a push-feed.

George

--------------------

"Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!"

RLI
.375 member

Reged: 01/10/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #14103 - 29/04/04 08:41 AM

I have a Winchester, 70. "Classic Safari Express, .375H&H I have never had any trouble with this rifle and if after DG take it to a good gunsmith to go over it so it won't fail in the bush. These are the best value for money CRF Lefties around . I looked over several left and right hand ones and it appeared the Lefties were better finished . If you want a .416 Rigby in Left Hand I would go the Dakota or a Dumoulin "White Hunter" model this is a true Magnum Mauser action Made in Belgium. Thanks
RLI

--------------------
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." — John Wayne

NitroSteel
.275 member

Re: Custom Left Hand Rifle [Re: RLI]
      #14104 - 29/04/04 08:48 AM

Thanks guys!

I found an interesting site regarding the 375 H&H:

http://webpages.charter.net/375magnum/index.htm

I didn't realize the HS Precision wasn't controlled round feed. What EXACTLY do I need to have done to the Winchester if I get it? Is the Dakota Arms that much better than a Model 70 or is it just alot prettier?

--------------------

John Wayne

Edited by NitroSteel (29/04/04 09:21 AM)

RLI
.375 member

Reged: 01/10/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #14107 - 29/04/04 09:38 AM

A gunsmith would make sure extraction and ejection work all the time , firing pin lock time is right, trigger tuned, bolt is properly trued up to action, scope/sights set and won't move under recoil , magazine holds in ,you don't want it opening up under recoil. other things are what you want done stock length etc. A .375H&H will drop a Elephant BUT if your shot is off or charge happens you want something bigger a .416 Rigby is good but a double in .470NE is much better! A Dakota or custom shop Winchester is a rifle with everything and anything done for you but you pay a bit more.
RLI

--------------------
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." — John Wayne

NitroSteel
.275 member

Re: Custom Left Hand Rifle [Re: RLI]
      #14280 - 04/05/04 09:31 AM

I searched through some articles and have read some pretty bad stories on the new Model 70's. Has Winchester stepped up their quality control?

I found a used Browning A-Bolt left hand stainless stalker w/ BOSS in 375 H&H for $725 (only 5 rounds shot). I don't think Browning makes this caliber anymore. I think this would be a good gun, but I don't think Browning made a CRF gun...

On a guns for sale website I also found several left-hand Weatherby rifles in 30-378, 340 Weatherby Mag and 460 Weatherby Mag. How do ya'll rate the Weatherby's? Are they controlled round feed. The 340 Weatherby Mag seems interesting. Is this big enough for DG?

What do ya'll think of the Browing's? Is controlled round feed an absolute necessity?

Sorry for asking so many questions. I know there must be someone out there just bursting with knowledge... Thanks again for the help.

--------------------

John Wayne

Edited by NitroSteel (04/05/04 09:52 AM)

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
      #14670 - 12/05/04 05:09 AM

I've had a left hand Weatherby for umpteen years and it's now re-barrelled to .500 Jeff and it works just fine and has NEVER given me any problems. The Weatherby actions aren't CRF, but don't rule out push feeds.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 65 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3328

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com