Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Classic Weathered Patina

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
BeltedMagnum
.224 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: New England
Classic Weathered Patina
      #116587 - 10/10/08 11:12 AM

Long time viewer, first time Poster.

I have been looking for quite a while for a classic big bolt gun. I think that the price of my synthetic 7mm and planes game hunt combined were less than some of the classic iron I looked at before leaving. I have been thinking of picking up a new CZ in .458 but can’t get around that “new gun look/smell/feel”. At the risk of being thought a poser, Anyone ever toy with the idea of “ageing” a new gun for a classic look? A little light steal wool and WD40 cutting the blueing on the barrel for simulated African carry wear? Strip the stock down and finish with a one of these ageing mixtures used to give the antique look? Anyone here admit they’ve done it, even admit they’ve thought of it? I can’t be the only one.

Congrats on a great website

Belted

--------------------
Hunting Africa with Dad. Does it get any better?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Classic Weathered Patina [Re: BeltedMagnum]
      #116589 - 10/10/08 12:19 PM

Welcome

You don't really think that you will get anybody to admit such a thing do you

Kidding aside. You wont get a new CZ to get that look. This is because of the finishes that are used on the metal and woodwork. The metal is caustic blued and will not wear in the same way and the synthetic coating on the stock won't either.

Now if you want to recreate that look, take the CZ and have somebody strip and then rust blue the gun. Then strip the stock and refinish with an oil finish.

Better still IMHO buy a 98 action and build a .458WM on that with a prechambered barrel and a pre-inlet stock it will not stand you in big bucks, with the right sights and swivels etc from the major parts people it will look the part and it will feel much more like YOUR big game gun rather than a mass produced product.
You can always engrave a famous name on it, nobody on Gunbroker will notice the difference anyway

Then carry it everywhere. I don't know what you do for a living, but if you can't carry at work then when you get home carry it everywhere you go, to the bathroom, kitchen, lounge whatever, into the garden (yard) etc. It is the ammount of sheer handeling that produces that patina of wear. Don't be oiling the surface too often, let it get wet occasionaly, let the sling rub etc. Work the action fifty times a day, take the bolt in and out. Strip the gun and reassemble once a week at least. Treat it as a tool and a companion.

Three mounths of this will produce quite a good aproximation I believe.

I went on a hot SA summer hunt with Jaco (SA Hunt) in Feb this year with a newley built rifle. After a week of slogging around that gun had to be totally refinished for sale so worn was it.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

Regards

BeltedMagnum
.224 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: New England
Re: Classic Weathered Patina [Re: Bramble]
      #116593 - 10/10/08 01:14 PM

I am way to careful with my stuff (read OCD) to seriously think of going the faux finish rout, but as I work in a cubicle and live in a big city, the rifles spend far too long oiled up in the safe to earn that honest aged look. There is a sporterized 8mm Mauser in the family, maybe should whack a few inches off the end and bwana it up? Though I’ve thought about it many times, it is a family heirloom and I can’t bring myself to do it, plus I am looking for something Big. With the CZ there would not have been any guilt, at least not so much. I like your build idea, but that will be a first for me so I’ll do some searching for information. Any estimate about a price? Places to start? Oh yeah, if anyone has pictures of their old warhorses I’d love to see them.

Belted

--------------------
Hunting Africa with Dad. Does it get any better?

Slimbo
.224 member

Reged: 23/11/07
Loc: Cranbrook, B.C, Canada
Re: Classic Weathered Patina [Re: BeltedMagnum]
      #116597 - 10/10/08 01:32 PM

I would rather see a family heirloom modified and used/loved all the time than sit in the safe like an ugly duckling.

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Classic Weathered Patina [Re: Slimbo]
      #116598 - 10/10/08 01:35 PM

Take it to Africa and loan it to one of your trackers for a while. That should do the trick. Kidding aside, although that would do the trick, removing all traces of blueing with remover and let nature take its course. You could also consider plum browning it.

--------------------
One day at a time...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 60 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2495

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com