Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .495 A-Square

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
chuck375
.333 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: Colorado Springs CO
.495 A-Square
      #106896 - 06/06/08 10:48 PM

Anyone have one of these? It seems like a cartridge with a classic shape that will give you a 600g bullet at 2150 fps with less recoil than a 505 Gibbs or 500 A-Square, doesn't have a rebated rim like the 500 Jeffery, and cases are a lot cheaper than the Gibbs or Jeffery. It doesn't have that classic African cartridge mystique however, which does mean something in my book ...

Chuck

--------------------
"There's a saying in prize fighting: Everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
Re: .495 A-Square [Re: chuck375]
      #106900 - 06/06/08 11:18 PM

The rationale for this particular round is discussed in some detail in the recent DANGEROUS GAME RIFLES book. (I am on the train, and recall this is the correct title, but it is by Terry Wieland --again perhaps misspelled) and was published last year. There is also a writeup about 'why' in ANY SHOT YOU WANT, the A-Square manual, which you should read for the interesting one of two page discussion of each of the many big bore cartridges by A-Square and the other, traditional and wildcat big bore and NE rounds.

I have a friend who owns a bolt action in this chambering and likes it. I haven't discussed the particular issues you ask with him, so I can't help further.

However, it would seem that your suppositions make sense and this should be a good choice for a custom rifle. I made a similar choice recently when I acquired my first Empire rifle, a lovely, new build, short action 98 with a full Mannlicher stock in 7X57. The rifle had incredible wood and build quality and was a delight to shoot. (I think the pictures are still at their website under inventory.)

In any event and more to the point, they had a big bolt action, short barreled 98 magnum action bolt gun listed in a "505 Empire." That turns out to be a 505 Gibbs, but loaded with a 600grn bullet rather than the much lighter slug in the 'normal' 505 and loaded to a lower pressure. (There is a write up on this and a few other "Empire" loads they are developing based on more traditional nitro loads such as the 470 NE at the Empire website www.empirerifles.com) Loaded ammunition is available from Empire and from Superior Ammo.

The rifle is finishing up now and will be here in a month or so. Since I have shot a lot of rounds through a CZ Safari Custom in 505 Gibbs, I will fill you in on the differences as soon as I put some rounds through the new gun.

Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: .495 A-Square [Re: dnovo]
      #106913 - 07/06/08 12:58 AM

Wieland certainly has a high regard for this round in his book. If he wasn't wedded to Dakota and the .458 Lott and his Mexican Rigby .500NE it sounds like the cartridge he'd have picked... A .495 Heym Express or Empire would be a real treat IMHO

chuck375
.333 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: Colorado Springs CO
Re: .495 A-Square [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #106951 - 07/06/08 10:58 AM

Thanks Dave and Jabali, I have a lovely CZ 550 Safari Classic in 375 H&H and am planning to rebarrel it to something bigger. Right now 470 Capstick is leading the pack, but the 495 A-Square is intriguing. Congratulations on your Empire rifle, they are gorgeous.

Chuck

--------------------
"There's a saying in prize fighting: Everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: .495 A-Square [Re: chuck375]
      #106967 - 07/06/08 07:31 PM

You would have a much greater selection of bullets for practice loads as well compared to the .470 which makes the rifle much more fun and useful too for smaller game hunting...

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
Re: .495 A-Square [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #106972 - 07/06/08 09:09 PM

Nothing wrong with the Capstick either. I find my 'ugly little fella' that Gary Reeder bought easy to shot and to reload. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3804

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com