Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Dallas Safari Club Show

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
Dallas Safari Club Show
      #6779 - 11/01/04 12:52 PM

Here are a few pictures from the Dallas Show.

First is a picture of Ray Atkinson's new Searcy PH grade 470

These next ones are of Dakota's double rifle. It had Chopper Lump Barrels. I think the proof marks are Italian.

Here is a fine old Dominion grade Holland & Holland 500/465, circa 1910. It resides in the fine gun room of Bass Pro Shops in the Dallas Area!

Below a table full of double from Champlin

The show was great fun, got to see a lot of fellow posters from AR. There is a story with pics on AR.

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
holland465
.275 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: California
Re: Dallas Safari Club Show [Re: Rusty]
      #6782 - 11/01/04 02:27 PM

It looks like there is some decent iron there. I will go to Safari Club on the 21st of this month. Dakota Arms always tends to amaze me when they move into double barreled shotguns and rifles that are completely over priced. I gave up on buying any guns that cannot be re-sold at a profit. I have dealt in these guns for years and have found that only the English guns are profit makers.

I had a Chapius 375 double rifle that I took on trade a few years back. It was a nice little gun that shot and handled very well. It took me over a year to get rid of that gun and I was only asking 3900.00! A fellow offered me 3200.00 for the gun and I almost kissed him!

I suppose that I am somewhat jaded but after doing this for 10+ years you tend to learn quite a bit about what to buy and what not to buy.
I have had some very nice European doubles but once again they are tough to move. I can also say that the internal finish work on the continent guns is rough by English standards. The English have had a death grip on the gun market for quite a while and I don't see it ending any time soon.

Thank you for posting the pictures!

David

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #6785 - 11/01/04 02:59 PM

You guys are very spoilt.

Is that right that the Dakota has a leaf for 75 yards AND 100 yards? Isn't that a little redundant?

Very nice though in 375 Flanged NE. How did it handle?

The Holland & Holland is beautiful.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Rusty
.333 member

Re: Dallas Safari Club Show [Re: NitroX]
      #6788 - 11/01/04 03:07 PM

Yes the Dakota was over priced. the tag said $24K.
I thought it strange that the standing leaf said 50 yds on it.

The rifle handled nicely and pointed well. It was a smaller round action. I would not spend that kind of money on that rifle, but then again that's just me.

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

holland465
.275 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: California
      #6798 - 11/01/04 07:12 PM

Hi Rusty,

I don't know what Dakota Arms is thinking about?? They also came out with a side by side boxlock shotgun to the tune of 16,000.00 if memory serves me! A person can pick up a very nice Westley Richards droplock shotgun for a lot less than 16K! That price can also put a person into a Holland, Churchill, or possibly a Purdey. Again I don't understand their thought process!

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #6812 - 12/01/04 04:14 AM

Rusty

How was the show?? I had Hotel reservations and airplane tickets but things got so screwed up here with the weather(airport closed for three days) I cancelled. Maybe next year.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Dallas Safari Club Show [Re: holland465]
      #6814 - 12/01/04 05:36 AM

In reply to:

<<SNIP>>
I had a Chapius 375 double rifle that I took on trade a few years back. It was a nice little gun that shot and handled very well. It took me over a year to get rid of that gun and I was only asking 3900.00! A fellow offered me 3200.00 for the gun and I almost kissed him! <<SNIP>>

Thank you for posting the pictures!
David

First, please forgive me for shortening your post, in the interest of addressing the portions I want to adress.

It's a very good thing you didn't offer that Chapuis 375 H&H FL to me for $3900 because I would have had another double rifle to explain to my good wife! If I got kissed, you'd probably have had to be the one to do it, for a while, afther I drug another double into my home!

The hand, you see in one of those DAKOTA pictures with the silver, and gold African ELE hair bracelet, is my hand! Rusty is right, the leaves are cut 50Mtrs, 75 Mtrs, and 100 Mtrs. I'm Like Nitro X, that sounds a little dumb, to me! The rifle, like the Dakota shotguns, are made in Bresia Italy, and are very well made, and fit, and finish is top of the line. We disassembeled the rifle, and the good finish seems to be trough out! The wood was prestine,but Rusty mispriced this rifle, it wasn't $24K USD, but $25.5K, and that, I'm told, dosen't include the engraveing shown! IMO, they are out of their minds! Though I like 375 H&H FL doubles, they are not as good an investment, even in Britt rifles, as other chamberings, and are hard to sell, at least in the USA! This is probably one reason the Chapuis was so hard to sell, as much as it's name! If it had been a 470NE I think it would have sold quite a bit sooner!

I didn't even bother to ask the price of the H&H Royal, because I knew I couldn't afford it!, besides, I can get a 21 day Elephant hunt with Cape Buffalo, and Leopard included for the price it commands, and shoot them with a WR boxlock 500/450, that I paid only $4K for ten years ago, and have no intention of selling to make a profit!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Re: Dallas Safari Club Show [Re: mickey]
      #6815 - 12/01/04 05:53 AM

Micky, the show was great for the AR guys who showed up, and there were several! JudgeG and his partner had a suite of rooms, and hosted a get together for cocktail hour!

If I remember correctly, the 450/400 3 1/4" A N rifle Ray has he got from you. He had it there for sale, and I almost bought it. He had a price tag of $10,500 on it,but he said anyone of the AR guys who wanted it, he would sell it for $8,500. Westley Richards really did a fine job of restoreing that rifle. My knees are sore from kicking my own butt, for not buying it! Very nice rifle!

I wish you could have gotten down for the show, I think you would have enjoyed it!

--------------------
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Rusty
.333 member

Re: Dallas Safari Club Show [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #6817 - 12/01/04 07:19 AM

Like mac said the show was great! Sorry you couldn't make it. We had one Hell of a nice time! Between Mac and NE450#2 and I touring what was to be seen and Pierr'e's and Ray's buff hunting story we were all smiles!

We Mac, JudgeG, and I stopped by and gave Harry (Mimms Reed) a razing and in short enjoyed the entire day!

I really like going to the show on Friday. The isles are not a packed and folks have plenty of time to talk to you!

I will probably attend the Saturday show down here in Houston next weekend.

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

docEE
.224 member

Reged: 06/11/03
Loc: Minnesota, USA
      #6828 - 12/01/04 09:35 AM

Thanks for the pictures. As someone from the north edge of the country instead of the south, perhaps you could fill me in. Are these shows same-place, same time each year? If I was interested in getting to next year's show, is it already scheduled?

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Re: Dallas Safari Club Show [Re: docEE]
      #6865 - 13/01/04 05:04 AM

In reply to:

docEE, try this web-site!

www.biggame.org

--------------------

Aggie
.224 member

Reged: 17/01/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Dallas Safari Club Show [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #7044 - 17/01/04 02:31 PM

Dugaboy1,
I was at the Dallas show and purchased Ray's 450/400 3 1/4". Am currently waiting for reloading info and supplies to arrive so I can try her out. Am new to this forum and looking forward to reading/conversing w/y'all. Have already received much help from NE450No2

Will
.333 member

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Kansas
Re: Dallas Safari Club Show [Re: docEE]
      #7053 - 18/01/04 04:05 AM

docEE,

I went to Dallas the first time this year. It is tiny compared to the SCI convention. But this is not necessarily a bad thing.

SCI is so big it can get overwhelming. It is so big and so busy there is usually a waiting line at booths!

At least at Dallas it is not so damn crowded and can actually get to talk to operators.

You could do the whole show in a day, easy.

--------------------

Once you have been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Re: Dallas Safari Club Show [Re: Aggie]
      #7054 - 18/01/04 04:29 AM

Aggie, you got a nice rifle, and you almost missed it, because I almost bought it! In fact is, it will most likely take you three weeks to get my finger prints off it, I handled it so much! Ray has the exact load information for that rifle, and if used, it will print all shots into 1.5" at 50 yds. That is a real group for even the most expensive double rifle! Westley Richards did a very fine job with the total restoation of that ARMY&NAVY rifle! You need to get to our DOUBLR RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY wild boar hunt at camp Cooley, in March! Great bunch of guys, and you will be welcome as rain in the desert! All you have to do is have a double rifle, and a hunting license! You can get in touch with RUSTY for the particulars, and costs!

--------------------

Rusty
.333 member

Re: Dallas Safari Club Show [Re: Aggie]
      #7076 - 19/01/04 03:59 AM

WTG Aggie!
You did buy a very nice rifle! I guess this means we will have to invite him to the Double Rifle Shooters Society hunt at Camp Cooley in March? If I can be of any help please drop me an email.

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3798

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com