Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Magnaporting out of fashion?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
analog_peninsula
.224 member

Reged: 27/05/06
Loc: Dallas, Tx
Magnaporting out of fashion?
      #58836 - 15/06/06 12:30 AM

Hi everyone,

Muzzlebrakes are all the rage these days, but I can't imagine using one in the field. I have a .300 Win Mag that I had ported years ago and am very pleased with the results. It doesn't make the rifle kick any less, but it sure reduces muzzle jump and therefore perceived recoil. I don't believe the magnaporting makes the rifle any louder; certainly my rifle is quieter than others at the range with brakes installed (loud, Louder, LOUDEST).

Is there any reasonable argument against magnaporting a large bore rifle? I ask because I'm in the process of having a .404 put together and I'd like to get it ported.

Thanks,

analog_peninsula

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Magnaporting out of fashion? [Re: analog_peninsula]
      #58856 - 15/06/06 06:02 AM

A .404 really does not need magnaporting or a brake. The two reasons to not magnaport a .404 are (1) it will substantially descrease the value of the gun, and (2) it will make the gun louder.

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #58861 - 15/06/06 08:30 AM

I think as far as muzzel brakes go the magnaport system is one of the better ones.
Noise from a magnaported barrel seems far less than the brakes with big rearward or sideways facing venting.
That said, thesedays I personally wouldn't dream about having any of my bolt guns ported.
You could be right in that it is out of fashion.
Here in Oz it was quite fashionable in the 90's.
I agree with 500 grains that a 404 really doesn't need a brake.
Cartridges based on things like the 460 Weatherby case may be a different story though and the same for any very lightweight bigbore hard kickers.

AzGuy
.333 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Prescott, Arizona, USA
      #58873 - 15/06/06 02:14 PM

Welcome! If you think that magnaporting does NOT increase the "sound/loudness" of a rifle ---- then you need to get your hearing checked.

--------------------
Hike the Grand Canyon, you will never be the same!

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Magnaporting out of fashion? [Re: AzGuy]
      #58904 - 16/06/06 02:13 PM

I have 2 barrels for my Blaser R 93 that are Magna- Ported.
A 300 Win Mag, and a 375 H&H. I have shot both of them side by side with Blaser bbls that were not Magna-Ported.
I can tell a lot of difference between the bbls. Magna Port takes the sharp "RAP", and the muzzle jump out of the recoil.
They do not seem any louder in the field to me.

I like them.

I have used KDF muzzle breaks. They reduce the recoil of a 300 Weatherby Mag to less than a 308. More like a 243. They are LOUD, however they do work.
Phil Kohen [sp?] Is a great guy and does great work.

AzGuy
.333 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Prescott, Arizona, USA
Re: Magnaporting out of fashion? [Re: NE450No2]
      #58906 - 16/06/06 02:44 PM

Glad you like them. They "work", I've shot them, but too loud for MY ears! In the field, I don't feel recoil or hear muzzle blast. But at the range, where most shooting happens, perhaps the "savings" in recoil are worth the excessive muzzle blast. They are less than attractive IMHO.

Have a buddy who shoots a Blaser (375/7mm Rem/22-250). Beautiful rifle and exceptionally accurate. Your cartridge "combo" is just about ideal for a "one gun" safari.

--------------------
Hike the Grand Canyon, you will never be the same!

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: Magnaporting out of fashion? [Re: AzGuy]
      #59535 - 03/07/06 12:49 AM

I have a 416 Rigby Ruger that has been Mag-Na-Ported and it is quite decent to shoot. Noise probably is greater but i wear plugs and muffs when shooting from bench and don't notice it. The Ruger is perceptably easier on recoil than my Cz 550 with Brockman laminate. Muzzle jump is definitely less. Ports are almost imperceptable to me as they are thru the front ramp band and being at top are not particularly obvious. As to a 404 not needing them as the recoil is not great enough that is how the individual deals with recoil not dependent on caliber. I don't handle ANY heavy recoil well. I just barely tolerate it and as a result don't shoot heavy calibers for pleasure. It never ceases to amaze me how some equate handling heavy recoil with some sort of MACHO thing.

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

Reged: 11/06/05
Loc: Sydney Australia
      #59545 - 03/07/06 04:31 AM

I tend to agree with 500 Grains.

In my opinion heavy kickers from 338 Rem Ultra through to 378 Wby gain with a muzzle brake because it allows you to shoot them like a 270 or 300 Winchester. Apart from reducing recoil a muzzle brake greatly reduces the amount that the gun jumps about and as a result allows you to use a wider range improvised rests.

If you decide on some type of brake I would get one that is removable and a thread protection cap. The advantage is that a 404 might be a rifle that you work up some reduced loads for but it will still be noisy with a brake or porting and thus you have low recoil loads that will require ear muffs for "plinking"

After having owned two 460 Wbys with the older Pendleton Dekickers and having been directly involved with some 358 STAs and 375 H&Hs with magna porting.....I would never again own a gun with any form of integral brake. However, that opinion is because I like to play about with reduced loads.

Mike

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Magnaporting out of fashion? [Re: Mike_McGuire]
      #59549 - 03/07/06 12:41 PM

I've had two rifles with a magna port. One a .340 WB and the other a .378 WB.

I had both barrels cut back to remove them. Aside from muzzle jump I noticed no difference in recoil. Less side noise and no air blowing my cap off.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Gibbs505
.333 member

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: BC, Canada
Re: Magnaporting out of fashion? [Re: mickey]
      #59573 - 04/07/06 09:50 AM

My 505 Gibbs has no brake at all!!

--------------------
So I can't spell, so what?

Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who don't!

Those who fail to learn from history will be doomed to repeat it

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Magnaporting out of fashion? [Re: Gibbs505]
      #59861 - 12/07/06 11:50 AM

I once had a M70 Classic Stainless BOSS .338 Win. Mag. I am a big fan of the .338 in a bolt gun and have a custom FN Mauser 98 in that caliber I use for elk hunting.

The recoil of a .338 is not offensive to me at all. Nevertheless, I was amazed by the reduction of recoil achieved by the BOSS system. The .338 felt like shooting a .270 or a 7x57.

The noise and blast were HORRENDOUS!

That year I took the M70 elk hunting. What I noticed most was the cumbersome weight on the end of the barrel. At the end of a long day's hunt the rifle felt like it had a ball and chain attached to the muzzle. That did it for me. When I got home, I scrounged up a Winchester barrel in .300 Win. Mag. and had the rifle re-barreled.

I'm still using my old stand-by, the custom FN Mauser in .338. No muzzle break, and no need for one.

I acknowledge that the Magna-Port system won't affect the balance of a rifle. I never have shot one, so can't comment on how well it reduces recoil and how badly it increases muzzle blast.

In the end, none for me, thanks.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3634

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com