Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Help me pick a bear bullet (.375)

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
SCGunNut
.224 member

Reged: 05/05/06
Loc: South Carolina
Help me pick a bear bullet (.375)
      #57654 - 23/05/06 01:03 PM

This September I'm going to Maine on my first black bear hunt. Ever since we set it up I have agonized on what rifle to carry. Not tooting my horn but I have dozens of perfectly suitable bear guns so picking one in a chore. I've changed my mind at least a dozen times and if Ruger gets out the new #1 in 9.3x74R in time, my decision will be made. If not, I'm leaning heavily towards a T/C TCR with a custom SSK barrel in .375/06 JDJ. For those not familiar with it this is basically a very short necked .375 Whelen Improved. In the lightweight TCR it kicks like a fiend and throws a 235 gr Speer out of the 23" tube in excess of 2650 fps. Now that I've narrowed the rifle down, what bullet would be best suited to a bruin? I've shot the Speer, the Hornady 225 gr Spitzer and the Barnes 210 X and they all shoot pretty well. Also considering going heavier and trying the Hornady 270 gr RN as I'd really like to use a "blunt" bullet. Hawk makes some interesting RN slugs in the 235, 250 & 270 class. I know any of them will work fine and black bears aren't bullet proof but just curious if anybody has used any of the above mentioned slugs on bears at the velocites I'm pushing. I want an exit but I also want decent expansion. Thoughts? Thanx.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Boomer
.300 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: The Hudson Bay Coast, Canada
Re: Help me pick a bear bullet (.375) [Re: SCGunNut]
      #57775 - 25/05/06 11:31 PM

Any of the bullet weights you've mentioned will work well in the 2200-2500 fps range. You will probably discover that penetration in game does not change significantly between light and heavy bullets of the same construction. The reason is that the higher velocity of the lighter bullet makes up for it's smaller mass. Still, I favour heavy for caliber bullets, as I believe their terminal properties are more predictable. Depending upon bullet design, a heavier bullet may also expand to a larger diameter, and thus produce a larger permanent wound cavity. I think that a 300 gr bullet at 2200 would be a hell of a black bear load, and the steeper trajectory should not be an undue hardship in most black bear habitat.

--------------------

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #57781 - 26/05/06 12:54 AM

For several years in the 1980's I hunted elk in Colorado using a .375 H&H Mod. 70 Winchester. I wanted the capability of long range and flat trajectory, and I found it in the 235 grain Speer. That bullet is a wonderful bullet, very accurate, and of bonded construction.

While I haven't shot a black bear with it, in 1987 I shot a nice 6x6 bull elk. The range was 320 yards over open ground. The bull was quartering toward me. I placed the shot in his front right shoulder, right beside the neck. The bullet broke the shoulder, passed through the heart, lungs, and guts. In all, about 5 feet of tough bull elk. I recovered the perfectly mushroomed bullet just under the hide in front of the left ham. The core was still firmly attached to the jacket, and it weighs just under 200 grains.

You aren't going to find a black bear that dies any tougher than a bull elk. If you have experience with the Speer 235, I suggest you choose it.

Hope this helps,
Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #57796 - 26/05/06 03:28 AM

I have used a 225 gr 338 nosler partition on bear with good results shooting thru a shoulder bone to the lungs. The bear dropped, then ran 75 yards and died.

There is no doubt that other bullets would work as well but I think a 260 gr nosler partition in a 375 cal would be more than adequate if driven at an adequate velocity. The boney structure of a bear is heavy and decent penetration is a must.

Have a great hunt!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: Help me pick a bear bullet (.375) [Re: hoppdoc]
      #57812 - 26/05/06 07:55 AM

I guess it depends on the terrain they're hunted in, which will dictate the usual range. I've never hunted black bear in Maine, but my guess would be that hunting will take place in timber. Where I've hunted them (Northern Idaho) a bear at 50 yards is one that you'll never see. The only rifle I've ever hunted black bear with is a .400/.360 Nitro Express double rifle. With either the old 300 grain Barnes Original Spitzer (the old Barnes copper jacketed lead core bullet) or the Hawk 300 grain .030 jacket round nose at 2000 fps, black bears don't run before they die, they drop to the shot and stay down. I've always gotten an exit. Assuming you'll be hunting in timber, a 300 grain Hawk at 2000 to 2100 fps will be all you'll need.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

jro45
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/03
Loc: DE, USA
Re: Help me pick a bear bullet (.375) [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #57848 - 27/05/06 02:33 AM

I've hunted black bears up in Canada some big ones and I only use my 300 Win Mag for them with a 180 gr bullet. I guess if they get over 450 lbs you'll need the rifle you're talking about. Good luck! I'm going back to Canada in Aug.
black bear hunting myself.

prof242
.275 member

Reged: 10/02/04
Loc: Colorado, USA
Re: Help me pick a bear bullet (.375) [Re: jro45]
      #57875 - 27/05/06 12:40 PM

Might as well put my .02 worth in. I've used the Speer 235gr in my .375 H&H on deer and elk (gotta have some fun sometime). It opens quite fast so I stopped using it on elk. Talked to one of the Speer engineers and he told me the bullet had been designed only for deer.
The Barnes X in 235gr is excellent for what you are contemplating. I've used it and the 210gr Barnes on elk and they hit the ground hard. Never have been able to recover a bullet...complete penetration.
Have also used the Hornady 270gr on bear and elk. It opens up appropriately and also has good penetration.
Hawk bullets used to be made up in a Denver suburb. I'd go up there and buy them with the .035 jacket for .375. They're good with the thick jacket. With the thinner jacket, they equal the Speers.
Noslers...well, everything that can be said has been said.
Good luck with your .375

--------------------
Politically correct = morally wrong

Gibbs505
.333 member

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: BC, Canada
Re: Help me pick a bear bullet (.375) [Re: prof242]
      #57931 - 29/05/06 07:19 AM

How are you hunting? Is it spot and stalk or are you sitting over bait? Are your shot's going to be close or longer?

Perhaps a little more info because a blunt heavey bullet at the velocities you mention are ok for a close range shot but will make longer range shoots difficult!

--------------------
So I can't spell, so what?

Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who don't!

Those who fail to learn from history will be doomed to repeat it

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #57973 - 30/05/06 03:42 AM

Have you considered North Fork bullets?

I admittadly don't know any thing about Black Bears, having not hunted them, so maybe a bullet as solid as the North Forks aren't needed? They've worked very well on our moose though.

SCGunNut
.224 member

Reged: 05/05/06
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Help me pick a bear bullet (.375) [Re: Gibbs505]
      #57996 - 30/05/06 12:48 PM

This will be a close range proposition over bait, probably a maximum of 50 yards so ranging ability is of no consequence. I'm thinking now I may go with a 250 gr Barnes X. They're discontinued but we've got a couple boxes on the shelf at work. Who knows what I'll end up using, I'm worse than a woman when it comes to stuff like this!

Gibbs505
.333 member

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: BC, Canada
      #58000 - 30/05/06 02:26 PM

At a range, I would go with a heavy bullet pushed as fast as I could get it to go!!

The bagnes bullet is good but they are 'picky' and shoot great in one firearm but terrible in another!!

I would go with a 300grn Hornady or Seirra. Both should be reasonably accurate and open reliably at your velocities and range!

I used a 300 grn seirra on my black bear at a similiar range and I was using a 375 H&H!

--------------------
So I can't spell, so what?

Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who don't!

Those who fail to learn from history will be doomed to repeat it

JRiekers
.224 member

Reged: 09/04/06
Loc: NY, TX and NC
Re: Help me pick a bear bullet (.375) [Re: Gibbs505]
      #59076 - 21/06/06 02:15 AM

I own a bear camp in Edmunds Township, ME and have shot a bunch of bear, along with seeing clients bears taken.

First off - I always recommend open sights. Our baits are between 15-25 yards from the stands. The cover is thick and there is little opportunity to shoot further. We like fiber optic sights or we put a little glow-in-the-dark paint on the sights.

The average ME bear is around 175 pounds. Big ones can go up to 400 but that is rare. You don't need tremendous power.

We highly recommend bonded core bullets. We have seen a lot of bears run off without leaving a lot of blood. Premium bullets will (hopefully) leave and exit hole. The exit hole is very important.

Secondly, the first shot is most important. However, we encourage putting lead on the bear for as long as you can see it. If you can see black - out more rounds on it anywhere - as long as you know your first shot was right on.

Your choice of rifle should be made considering:

1) good sights for 25 yards
2) premium bullets
3) ability to quickly get off follow up shots.

--------------------
www.TARSPORTING.com
J. Riekers - Gunmakers
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3541

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com