Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 577-450 dies needed

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Brent
.224 member

Reged: 08/04/05
Loc: Iowa
577-450 dies needed
      #49752 - 11/02/06 02:08 PM

I'm interested in buying set of 577/450 used dies. If anyone has any for sale, give me a holler at
brentd@iastate.edu

Thanks,
Brent

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: 577-450 dies needed [Re: Brent]
      #49760 - 12/02/06 12:45 AM

Brent,

Lee has them new for a $100 a set.
Lee Large Series dies

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Brent
.224 member

Re: 577-450 dies needed [Re: DoubleD]
      #49774 - 12/02/06 05:19 AM

Thanks, I have looked at Lee's website once but could not find this.

They are listed as 1 1/4 - 12 Thread Series Dies. I'm trying to imagine how they are going to fit into my standard reloading presses. Aren't they 7/8"x14 tpi? Do I need a new press too?
Brent

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
      #49775 - 12/02/06 05:33 AM

The 7/8x14 is the normal size. You're right. But Lee also sells a big press for those dies for another $100. I've heard it's good enough for the 50 BMG so it should work for the 577/450.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

DoubleD
.400 member

Re: 577-450 dies needed [Re: AkMike]
      #49776 - 12/02/06 05:42 AM

Look at the top of your current press, does it have what looks like a hex nut. Just unscrew the nut. If the dies won'rt fit the hole you can get an adapter from CH4d

You will find it listed under presses-Press Top Bushing

If no nut you need a different press.

Get yourself an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme from Midway for $96. Rockchucker Supreme

That Lee Classic press is not very durabale. The Lever Knuckles keep failing and the ball knob keeps falling of the handle.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #49777 - 12/02/06 06:21 AM

I really like Lee dies, but also have no complaints with my CH4D wildcat dies.
: I would check them both out. Due to the size of the .577 cae, I believe the normal 7/8x14 are too small. The die body would be so thin, as to crack from hoop stress of trying to size the case. Thishappened in a set of .50 Sharps dies, and they're much thicker than the .577 dies would be for a standard press.
; Many standard presses have the larger hole as well, plugged with an insert for 7/8x14 threaded dies. My Lyman Press unfortunately doens't.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Brent
.224 member

Re: 577-450 dies needed [Re: DarylS]
      #49784 - 12/02/06 08:37 AM

Thanks for the feedback on the press situation. I sure would prefer not to buy another press. I have 4 (two different Corbin swaging presses, one Bonanza, and one Herters). The Herters is the only one that has a chance - I'll have to check when I get home.

I think I can handle all the prime/deprime/compression chores well enough. I will have to modify a taper crimp .45-70 to work if I decide I need to crimp a little. But the killer will be the one-time resizing chore. Maybe the chamber will be sloppy enough to get around this problem.

The rifle is yet enroute and the brass is not yet ordered.

I was considering some 24 gauge Magtech shotshells that are advertied on gunbroker.com as being suitable for .577/450, but otherwise, it is Rocky Mountain Cartridge turned brass.

All loads will be black powder and all bullets paper patched.

Targets will be big and warm blooded.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Brent

DoubleD
.400 member

#49812 - 12/02/06 04:31 PM

Brent you have a learning curve to go through if you are taking up the Martini. Start here.

Internet Sites for Martinis, Related Material and Subjects

Use the CBC Brass. Forget turned brass, that is for heroric measures only. Read this next: Word of caution about balloon head cases

The big bottle neck does not load like a big straight wall case. No compression. If you load enough powder in a CBC case to get compression you will have an over load.

The standard load for a 577/450 Martini is 85 grs of either FFG or Fg. I have good luck with FG Swiss.

85 grains of FG wil not reach the bottom of the neck in a CBC case. The CBC case is balloon head so it has a greater capacity than a solid head case.

Oh, and you do know the Martini doesn't use .458 diameter bullets don"t you?

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #49813 - 12/02/06 04:48 PM

DD:
In reply to:

the Martini doesn't use .458 diameter bullets

Admittedly the early coiled-brass MH cartridges were loaded with lead bullets of around .452 to .455 diameter, but the later drawn brass cases carried projectiles up to .458 diameter. Bill Fleming of "British Sporting Rifle Cartridges" fame, miked heaps of original cartridges in the various configurations, and in fact the single 'Carbine for BP' cartridge he measured carried a .459 projectile!

Admittedly Henry rifling is a bugger to measure accurately, however slugging the bore of a Martini Henry might surprise you! I believe the idea was that soft lead bullets would 'bump up' a few thou into the rifling at ignition, so were often loaded undersize. Hardened lead or jacketed bullets, on the other hand, will not obturate in the same way as soft lead, so need to be very close to groove diameter to start with.

Brent, when your rifle arrives, slug the bore! It only takes a minute.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Brent
.224 member

#49814 - 12/02/06 05:38 PM

DD,

Some interesting stuff there. I realize that it will take some experimentation to work up a load - ever new rifle does.

I take it that Magtech and CBC is one in the same. I have ruled out that brass for another reason just a minute ago. Meanhwile, I wouldn't use Bertram on a bet, and I don't know where to find Kynoch, so that leaves RMC turned brass. So far as what I know about available brass. That can solve all the head space/rim-thickness/head-thickness issues in one shot as they can be turned to match a chamber casting.

I'm quite aware that Martini bores are not standardized. I can deal with most or all of that with paper patching, but if a new mold is required, then so be it. I would never ever shoot a .458 bullet in any modern .45 caliber anyway. The bore will be slugged before the last packing material hits the floor when it arrives.

Your comments on compression make me a bit curious. Necked cartridges can be compressed though that may bring powder levels above the shoulder. I don't see that as a problem. I am curious why you think this would be an overload. I have read about people taking apart original compressed 577/450 cartridges. compress of bp is commonplace in other necked cartridges. Perhaps the severity of the shoulder is the reason? That still doesn't solve the question of original cartridges with compressed loads. Is the Martini action particularly weak that it cannot handle a heavier charge?

1fg Swiss of some batches, and most especially the first batch that was brought over, is far more extreme than 1.5fg or Goex Cart or 2fg in many (all?) more recent batches. Hence, I really don't like to even think about bounding load safety issues on the bases of XX amount of manufacture Y's, Z FG granulation. 85 gr of Swiss 1.fg has so much variation across batches that I find it rather difficult to say anything especially definitive about any particular loading as being best, or maximal, or safe or whatever. Can you give me a good idea of what you feel would be a maximum safe velocity for a given weight bullet? (I'm thinking of about 500 grs or a bit heavier). I understand that different speeds of powder will produce different pressures for a given velocity, but it's probably a better approximation than a powder/granulation weight.

I didn't see much on the Martini resources website about reloading except for a link to my own webpages and Coydog's. If there is anything specific to the .577/450 I sure would like to dig it out.

Thanks again,
Brent

DoubleD
.400 member

#49820 - 13/02/06 02:31 AM

I have used turned brass in Martini’s and it is an act of frustration. Anneal will be the first step in every reload. The brass is soft; it is not cartridge brass and should be used with light to moderate loads only. It can and does fail much faster than regular brass. The problem with the Martini isn’t going to be in the rim it’s going to be in the body just above the head and in the Ogee shoulder. Then of course there is the huge neck.

You obviously have had a bad experience with Bertram brass, so I won’t even try to convince you to use it. I do because it good stuff. A few years ago Kynoch and Bertram got together and tooled up for the Martini. A good deal of the Kynoch brass is made by Bertram. Not all. You can contact Kynoch direct for brass. They are on the Martini list in my earlier post.

CBC brass is imported by Magtech; I have been using it mostly for range work. It works just fine. At $16.95 for 25, neck splits are much more acceptable than neck splits in a $5 Kynoch or Bertram case. Neck splits are the biggest problem you will have with the Martini.

Martini bores are standard. The MK I, MK II, MK III and MK IV pattern C have one size the MK IV paterns A and B have another larger size. The Martini Henry rifling has an odd number of lands and grooves, if you can say it has lands and grooves. There comes the problem. Since the rifling is 7 grooves it is difficult to measure. The high points are not opposite. You need a micrometer with a seven sided anvil to measure properly. I have never seen one. You can also use ring gauges. I use a trick taught me by an old Millwright/Gunsmith for measuring odd sided objects. It’s simple. Roll you slug between the slack jaws of your caliper. Do this several times and you will see the repeat reading. The MK I, MK II, MKIII and MK IV pattern C should be .464 and the MK IV will be .468.

Some thing else to keep in mind when you slug the Martini bore, the bore is tapered from the chamber forward. The nominal bore is .450. A .449 plug gauge will run the full length; a .451 plug gauge will be rejected full length. A .451 plug gauge will run four inches from the breech; a .450 plug gauge will run eight inches. The remainder of the 24 or so inches of barrel will be cylinder.450 The grooves in the tapered section are .009 deep, .007 in the cylinder section. .450 + .007 + .007= .464. The twist is 1 in 22 and the rifles like the 480 grain bullet.

I have often wonder about what happens to a bullet that obturates in the Martini bore. It gets slugged up on firing and squeezed back down as it goes out the bore. Seems like a lot of distortion is possible.

I have seen the measurements credited in Cartridges of the World of .452 to .455 for bullet diameter. Some have said that measurement comes from the slug with the paper removed. I don’t know if that is true or not.

I do know the List of Changes that the British military use to set out official measurements says the paper patched grooved bullet used in the Coil Case has a major diameter .449 with out the paper. The paper patch makes up the difference. The LoC gives the dimensions of the Paper patch but not the thickness of the paper. If you scroll down on the Martini list that I posted you will find under Research Sites a link to a site called AN ILLUSTRATED TREATISE ON BRITISH SMALL ARMS AMMUNITION. Some useful information there. A good starting point is how they made the original stuff. The LoC bullet is 12 to 1 alloy.

Compression. The Martini has a very large powder chamber with a smaller neck. This no US style BN cartridge. When you compress you are compressing straight down and not outward. Plus in order to compress you have to put far more powder in the case than is needed. The LoC load is 85 grains. 85 grs. does not come to the bottom of the shoulder in a CBC case and just barely to the shoulder in a solid head case. By the way the LoC load is a good starting point, but is by no means the end-all.

There two reasons to stay away from the heavier loads in the Martini. Recoil-felt and recoil-control. The action is perfectly safe with heavy loads. The buttstock tends to bite from length of pull and shape. Not a big deal if you are conditioned to it. But control is another thing. Because of the shape of the action, in heavy recoil the rifle will jump out of your hands. The British practice was to place the thumb on the thumb rest on the back of the action. This supposedly cures the problem of the thumb bashing your nose when the rifle recoils. For me this is even more awkward. I just wrap my thumb over like normal. I seem to have more control. I have not got a bloody nose yet…knock on wood.

I look for 1250 fps across the chronograph with the black powder and get that with the Swiss 1F. I have been working with smokeless loads and looking for 1300 fps. I did test some .480 gr bullets at 2200 fps. The only problem was catching the rifle as it jumped out my hand at each shot.

I have used your website many times over the years. I find it very useful. Thanks!!! The more I read “Coydog's” stuff the more frightened I become. I take his recommendations with a large grain of salt.

Bottom line for the 577/450 in a Martini Henry rifle start with the LoC load and work out from there.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

DarylS
.700 member

#49828 - 13/02/06 06:01 AM

My .577/450 had a .460" groove diameter near as I could measure it.
: The use of smaller diameter bullets, if paper patched and the cores of pure lead, will work just fine as it does with Sharps and other BP ctgs. The BP load expands the bullet to fill the bore. A good wad and perhaps a lube wad helps to clean the bore and protect the patch from blowby gasses.
: Enough powder should be used to reach the bottom of the neck, in my opinion. Loose BP charges shoot poorly, and can be dangerous if left to extremes. Loaded slightly up the neck, with a card wad pushing it to the bottom of theneck will suffice. The coiled ctg. of the day were well undersized and even they held the 85gr. charge. If the capacity is increased, so must be the load. this is comon BP loading practise.

--------------------
Daryl

DoubleD
.400 member

#49927 - 14/02/06 10:37 AM

It is not always better to add more powder just because you can. It is my experience from shooting the MH that you get your best accuracy/velocity/consitancy in the 85 to 95 grain by weight range. Don't load by volume!

You can change things a bit by using different brands and granulations of black powder. But loads in the 85-95 grain range will leave air space in those big cases. Air space is not good. So you have to add something to take up the space.

Load up enough powder so you don't have an airspace and can compress doesn't improve things. Recoil becomes unmanagable because of gun design and accuracy falls off.

So all that's left is fillers. Check the LoC and you will find fillers used. We are not talking foil cases here, we are talking drawn cases.

The folks here convinced me to use more filler and compress that for better results and I did and it works. I did ignore part of their advice, I use Kapok instead of dacron.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Brent
.224 member

#49938 - 14/02/06 01:45 PM

DD, I agree more powder is not always good. But sometimes it is. I'll relate what I have found with my Sharps -

For target shooting with a clean barrel, wiping after every shot, I get best accuracy with an uncompressed load, regardless of which powder I use (I switch off between 2 brands, 2 or 3 granulations each, and 2-3 batch mixes of each granulation). These loads are used for Schuetzen and silhouette, and occasionallly (!) hunting.

However, there are matches where I cannot wipe after every shot. In these matches, accuracy with the very best of the above loads is unacceptably poor for any but the first shot.
The solution to this has been heavy compression. At least .375" and sometimes as much as 0.6" in a .45-2.6" case. This is followed by a waxpaper wad, .375" of lube, and a final card wad. These loads will hold 4" for 5 shots at 200 yds, for 6 consecutive groups w/o any wiping, blow tubing, etc. The uncompressed loads will shoot greater than 8" for the first 5 shots at only 100 yds. So, the difference brought on by heavy compression and lots of lube is substantial and critical to shooting a dirty barrel.

My hope is that I can duplicate this performance by compressing a pretty substantial load of powder to the base of the neck and then filling much of the neck with bullet lube before seating a bore diameter bullet.

I have heard a lot about recoil in these rifles. I am hoping that my rifle will be a little better in this department than most because it is a dedicated sporting rifle and stocked quite differently than a military rifle. It is still pretty darn light, so there will be no getting around some substantial hammering. My 10.5# Sharps with military buttplate is no softie in this department either however. It uses 95-105 grs of Swiss 1.5 with a 550 gr bullet.

I have, I think, found a source of Kynoch brass.

Brent

Edited by Brent (14/02/06 01:46 PM)

DoubleD
.400 member

#49948 - 14/02/06 03:52 PM

Brent,

That is a nice rifle. Check your twist. I have ran on to several of the sporters that are 1 in 32 twist, not the 1 in 22 that is the MH standard.

Who is the retailer and who is the maker of the rifle?

Here is a guy who says he selling Kynoch brass. P454b@wmconnect.com

I have a chamber cast off to Jamison to help them get tooling made to set up for 577/450 brass. Last week he was working on his first 100 test cases. He should have brass soon.

Awful lot of us have used US BP loading techniques on the big Martini case and failed. it's a different animal.

If you can crack the nut, we are listening.

I use my MH for recreational shooting, informal competition and hunting.

For the past three and a half years the longest range I have had access to is 100 yards.

I get real excited when I do 2 1/2 to 3 inches with original military sights at 100.

Wipe between shots? You mean between strings don't you? Group shooting I will wipe after every 5 round group. No fouler for me every shot counts.

The Volunteer Match is 10 round strings, no wiping.

As far compression goes the only compression I have been doing is with the kapok filler. You don't have to add more powder toget compression,

I started with .6 grains of kapok over 85 grs. of Swiss FG. I slowly increased the kapok until I got to 2 grains. That is a lot of Kapok and I think I may be getting the same or similiar effect as compression.

I have also used Pufflon. Load the powder and fill the case up with Pufflon and compress that.

I then put a milk carton wad, 1/4" grease cookie of 50/50 crisco beeswax, two milk carton wads and a .468 480 gr. RCBS MH GG 20 to 1 as cast bullet pan lubed with 50/50 beeswax/neatsfoot oil. I seat the whole wad column so the first over powder wad is even with the bottom of the neck.

Of course I am not looking for the accuracy you are.

I want plenty of power f\or hunting. I have used my Martini's to hunt in Africa and the US. The list of changes load will shoot through a kudu end for end... meets one of Elmer Keith's criteria.

If you want to get some better ideas for 577/450 loads drop over to the MH board at http://www.gunboards.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=1.

Post a message asking for long range loads. Gert from Belgium should post up his stuff.

He is getting ready to go down to South Africa and shoot in the world Black Powder championship in April.

I don't know if he will be shooting the 577/.450 this year or the Westley Richard Musket No.2.

I seem to think Gert is using 96 grs of Swiss 1 1/2 for his long range load. That's from memory so might be wrong.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

DarylS
.700 member

#49986 - 15/02/06 04:03 AM

I normally use KAPOK for a filler, using enough to make a good snug loading. Lately, in other cases, I have experimented with GREX and other shot buffers, without detrimental effects. Tests continue looking for melted plastic in the bore, but so far, show nothing amiss.
: When testing, I load knowing how many grs. are being used, and use that for making a volume measure to throw that amount of powder, thus finally changing to a stricken measure. It still throws X number of grains, even though it is a volume measure. Weighing BP to exact # of grains for each ctg., seems to be a waste of time - on the chronograph and target alike.
: It has been a long time since I have done much shooting with a .577/450.
: I-too have switched from dacron to kapok.
: I assume when you say "don't load by volume", you are saying don't fill the case, as you would with many straight cases. Mine seemed not to mind, no matter which case was being used.

--------------------
Daryl

DarylS
.700 member

#49988 - 15/02/06 04:06 AM

You're loading practises on the Sharps virtually mirrors mine, Brent.
; VERY nice looking MH. I very much appreciated nice Express sigths.

--------------------
Daryl

DoubleD
.400 member

#49995 - 15/02/06 08:01 AM

I haven't tried the shot shell buffers. Any experimenting with them will have to wait 2 to 5 years, until we return from South Africa.

Kapok seems to work just fine. I have been weighing the Kapok and checking across the chronograph and it makes a difference. I have been increasing the weight a little at a time.

I think it has more to do with the holding of the powder rigidly in place during firing and some mild effects of compression.

Same with weighing BP. I set my measure to hold one gr. less than the load I want. I dump the measure on the scale pan and trickle to weight. I have noticed two things. There is a lot of weight variation from one charge to the next when using just a volume measure. Extreme spread and SD are smaller with weighed charges. Weighing and trickling gives me better results.

The other thing I found was that 85 grs by volume of FG Goex didn't weigh the same as 85 grs by volume of Swiss Fg. All my notes went into packing boxes to day So I can't tell you which was heavier.

The old rule with 577.450 was to fill the case to the bottom of the neck as per the drawings in the LoC and that was supposed to be 85 grs. Couple of problems with that theory. I had to eyeball down the neck to see if I was at the bottom of the neck. When I checked a block of loads to see how close I was, the loads varied as much as 5 grs.

As far as filling the case goes, solid head brass will take 130 grains and ballon head brass will hold upwards of 150 grs.

The solid head brass will hold up to that load. My shoulder won't. The Balloon head brass bugles bad enough at 85 grs. At 115 grains the balloon head cases will bulge badly. I shudder to think what will happen to it at 150 grains.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

DarylS
.700 member

#50000 - 15/02/06 10:43 AM

I agree that it takes some practise and the correct size of the measure to get BP stricken loads within acceptable variations. I've foud, through trial and testing, with a measure with approximately a .45" hole or slightly smaller, stricken measure can be held to 1gr. variation, that being 1/2gr. above or below. That small amount seems to have little or no effect on achieved ballistics, especially when a filler is used.
: There are few powder measures that are safe to use with BP. Lyman not has one, and there may be others. Generaly, an aluminum powder chamber with a brass drum in iron base is required, as the plastic powder vessels builds static charges which can be very dangerous.
: One must pick a powder, weight what the measure throws and above all, be consistant. Consistancy is almost 1/2 of BP accuracy.
: A good lube is also needed for BP ctgs. I think that OxYoke hollow stick yellow bore butter lube is probably good, as is SPG and Lyman BP lube. As wel, Beeswax/Vaseline, in a 60/40 mix also works well.

--------------------
Daryl

DoubleD
.400 member

#50010 - 15/02/06 02:02 PM

Brent,

I see you found The Belgian Martini over on ASSRA. You will get a lot better advice from him than I.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Brent
.224 member

#50026 - 16/02/06 12:03 AM

DD and Daryl,
Yes, I have found Gert the Belgian. He seems to be quite a fan of these sorts of rifles.

As for the weigh vs. volume method, I do both. I like the confidence of having weighed the rounds, but I don't always find that they do so much better. They never do worse however.

When I need to load a lot, I sometimes load by volume. But by weight is preferred. I use a Redding BR-3 measure most of the time. It is pretty good, but will vary about 0.1 gr either side of what I am shooting for occasionally. I also use a Belding and Mull or Lyman measure. I don't worry about plastic hoppers and/or steel vs brass.

DD, when I say I wipe every shot, I mean every shot. This is done in Schuetzen or silhouette matches. My standard procedure is to run a bore pig soaked in water, and pushed through with a dry patch on a rod. Not a problem for most breechloaders - it is faster than blow tubes. Of course, the Martini will be an issue. I don't suppose it has a hole in the rear like my BSA 22 did to allow a cleaning rod to pass through from the breech.

In herd matches where 25 shots must be made in 10 minutes, I use a bore pig every 5 shots.

In hunting situations, I hunt with a clean bore that has been wiped free of oil with a little Hoppy's #9 solvent and then one pass with a clean patch. If, an animal is shot that does not drop immediately, I will follow up with shot from a dirty bore immediately, and will continue to shoot as long as necessary or until the animal runs off. But once he is out of sight and range, I stop, wipe the bore with a Hoppe's patch and a dry patch before following up. Thankfully, this does not happen often.

I sure wish the rifle would get here. I sent the check on Thursday and I'm just a little impatient as always... Have been since Thursday of course.

Brent

DoubleD
.400 member

#50044 - 16/02/06 01:55 AM

I must confess, If I were shooting Scheutzen or Silhouettes I would probably wipe after each shoot also.

The Volunteer Rifleman Match shot at 50 and 100 yards in strings of 10 rounds in 2 minutes does not permit by rule wiping between shots. Between strings, yes. For this match I definitely weigh powder.

The Zulu Match is shot at ranges determined by the match organizer but usually no more than 200 yards and usually 50 to 100 yards. The match does allow wiping, but you have to fire 10 rounds in 2 minutes including going to the ammo box and picking up more ammo. You just don't have time to wipe. I will volume load for this match if the ranges are short. After all the target is 5 feet tall and a foot and a half wide.

I suppose some of the big game rifle matches you could wipe. But some of the timed events, you would just have to shoot. Haley's Hop comes to mind.

Shoot until they drop technique, I have employed it and not just with BP..

To clean the Martini I use the regular rod from the muzzle. I then follow up with a A Hoppes flexible cable chamber rod for cleaning the back end. The Proshot cable chamber cleaner is to small cable and to long in the ferrules. When I clean the Martini I leave the block in. Then when finished I pull the block and clean it.

I have considered making a full length cable rod to push from the chamber. I'm not sure it would work. Won't know until I try.

The Francotte Style Martini with the removable trigger guard has the cleaning hole in it. But it requires removal of the trigger group to access.

To learn how to properly disassemble the Martini Henry go to www.martinihenry.com. Simple summary, the block comes out first and goes in last. My late departed mentor Frank DeHaas had that one wrong.

In the past couple of years the original instructions on adjusting firing pin strike and block height for loading on the Martini have surfaced. Suffice to say most American Gunsmith got it wrong. All the adjustments are made to the lever. The first person I thought of when I saw those instructions posted on the inernet was Frank. I wish he had still been alive and I could have called him on the phone to share. I did so much enjoy talking with him.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Brent
.224 member

#50047 - 16/02/06 02:18 AM

DD,
Tell me more about cable cleaning rods. They sound very interesting and not just for Martinies. I have yet to find the perfect hunting rod. I've never heard of a Hoppe's flexible cleaning rod, nor the Proshot either.

I checked out your website on deassembly - thanks. Looks very straight forward though different than my old BSA 1215. My rifle has a safety lever on the right side. I'm not at all sure how the darn thing works yet. But I suspect this might affect disassembly somehow?

Brent

DoubleD
.400 member

#50061 - 16/02/06 04:28 AM

Cable Chamber Rod

Here is the link to Hoppes website. I got the 12 Guage one because that's all the gun shop had. I bought a couple of 20 guage brushes. I just wrap a patch around a brush for the wiping out stage. That seems to work better than a slotted tip or jag.

Here is the ProShot set up top and the Hoppes bottom.

Here is the Hoppes rod going in

Here is the Proshot with its shotgun adapter.

The Hoppes T-handle helps too get enough torque to clean the chamber.

Use the shotgun sizes for the Martini. The rifle ones have smaller cable and aren't rigid enough.

As far a cable rods go, it's only an idea in my mind. Take a piece of cable the same diameter as the flexible chamber rod, about 6-8 inches longer than the bore, put a handle on one end and threaded ferrule on the other. You would need a piece of cable pretty close to bore size to work. I tried it with a length of 1/8 cable like Pro shot uses.. all it did was coil up in the bore.

Safety lever should'n't cause any problems. Just remember block out first- in last.

If the action is a Greener--I don't think it is-- you will have to fully assemble the trigger guard with all its parts and then pull the extractor pivot pin out and then let the front of the guard drop down to get the block in.

It's a very simple once you are fimaliar with it.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Brent
.224 member

#50158 - 17/02/06 05:34 AM

DD
Thanks for the photos. They are what I had imagined, but never seen before.

FWIW, I have a set of bore pigs from Skip Epp, who supplies them with a plastic tubing push-rod. It isn't delrin, but it feels pretty close to that. They can be coiled and they are easily stiff enough to push anything reasonable through and out the bore. Similar idea to what you have.

I have seen similar tubing in a hardware store somewhere, but I can't seem to find it again. The cable maybe a good alternative.

Brent

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 15400

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com