Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Nitro Express

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
SBT
.224 member

Reged: 03/01/03
Loc: Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Nitro Express
      #452 - 04/01/03 09:45 PM

I have heard of Nitro Express for years, but have never understood what it actually means or stands for. Can someone help?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroExpressComAdministrator
.275 member

Reged: 24/12/02
Loc: NitroExpress.com
Re: Nitro Express [Re: SBT]
      #465 - 04/01/03 11:13 PM

SBT

Here is a post from the old message board that I think answers your question.

I also have a question - Does anyone know who "owns" the term with regard to firearms and cartridges today? ie If someone wanted to introduce say a .750 Nitro Express, could they? Is it an open term"

I recently received an email asking about the origins of the name "Nitro Express".

Whether they were so named because the propellant contained nitro glyserine rather than gun powder.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "Nitro Express" cartridges were introduced when the standard propellant was black powder. Some of the earliest cartridges were the 500 Nitro Express in the 1890's, the 577 Nitro Express and the "small bores" the 450 3 1/4" NE introduced by Rigby in 1898 and the 500/450 3 1/4" NE by Holland & Holland around 1900. These cartridges replaced the 4, 6 and 8 bore blackpowder elephant guns with lighter, smaller more effective calibre rifles pushing projectiles powered by cordite.

Cordite was a smokeless propellant in the form of long "cords.

The "Nitro" is derived from nitric acid. Nitro-cellilose is cellulose treated with nitric acid, and is the base for the "nitro" smokeless propellants.

"Express" was a marketing term to promote fantastic velocities (like 2,000 fps!) similar to "magnum" today, and was associated with the "fast" trains of the era, "Express Trains". Similarly some Black Powder cartridges were labelled "Black Powder Express".

Nitro Proofing was originally the process of testing or "proofing" the black powder firearms of the day with the new smokeless propellants which generated considerably higher pressures.

Nitroglycerin on the other hand is an explosive liquid made from glycerol and nitric and sulphuric acids.

--------------------

NitroExpress.com

SBT
.224 member

Reged: 03/01/03
Loc: Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Re: Nitro Express [Re: NitroExpressCom]
      #477 - 05/01/03 11:30 AM

Great information, thanks for the education!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3094

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com