Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Brockman CZ 500 express style stock

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Eric
.224 member

Reged: 28/06/04
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Brockman CZ 500 express style stock
      #27625 - 11/03/05 02:32 PM

I have just recieved the CZ 550 laminated express stlye stock from Jim Brockman's shop. For those of you that are looking for a really nice replacement piece of wood for your large bore CZ's, This is great! I ordered mine with the cheek piece(you can also get it with out one). It is of the small oval like on many English nitro express bolt rifles, with accent line and very well done and comfortable. The color and grain on the stock is very nice and does not look at all like a peice of plywood. Because CZ does not use a barrel band sling swivel, the swivel stud is installed in the front of the forend. It works well although the rifle sits a bit higher than those with the extra distance of the barrel band type due to the long 25" barrel on these rifles. The stock is trim in the right places with good thickness around the magazine and butt pad area. The forend is short again like the prewar mauser sporters. Two cross bolts at the recoil lug and between the rear of the magazine and trigger, again very well done. The inletting is perfect. Very snug around the barreled action, trigger guard, trigger unit and magazine box. By snug, read press fit. You will not need any epoxy to fill air space on these stocks. I'm not sure how they achieve this fit except that with the resin impregnated laminate it machines like a soft metal rather than wood. The stock is trim through the wrist and has a slight pear shape to the forend. There is a metal cap on the pistol grip and a nice large soft pad on the butt. The comb has a slight rearward slope for iron sight use, again like the prewar mausers(not as pronounced as the originals). I only added a bit of Brownell's agraglass to the primary and secondary recoil lug mortices as insurance. I wanted a really nice stock for my .458 Lott that was solid, would not crack and would not take gobs of bedding material to fill air space. From Brockman's, I believe I got exactly what I wanted. The CZ 550 holds five down and one up the spout---a tremendous payload of powerful rounds. Cleaned up the trigger a bit and lapped in the action. Put a nice big bead from New England Custom Guns on the front and I am ready to shoot the hell out of it to get ready for my August Zimbabwe hunt. I will certainly order another one when I recieve my CZ 500 in .416 Rigby. Those of you that are thinking about the new calibers, 404 Jeffery and 505 Gibbs may want to check these stocks out. I am very happy with my choice. Good luck and good shooting. Eric

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Nframe
.275 member

Reged: 29/12/04
Loc: United States
Re: Brockman CZ 500 express style stock [Re: Eric]
      #27628 - 11/03/05 03:36 PM

Thanks for the info. I too need one for my Lott and this was my choice, glad too hear they are worth the money. How long did it take you to get it after ordering?

Eric
.224 member

Re: Brockman CZ 500 express style stock [Re: Nframe]
      #27629 - 11/03/05 03:55 PM

Nframe; I placed my order in October of 2004. It took awhile for them to get set up and start a new run of them. Was advised that they had them done and would ship mine last week. Recieved it on Monday and test fitted it tuesday and finished with the glassing yesterday and have been playing with it since. I hope to get out very soon and press trigger. Check with them and get one ordered soon as I don't know how fast they will sell out and then you may have to wait for them to set up for another run. They offer them as prefit, unfinished or finished. With cheek piece or without. As said I ordered mine with cheek piece and 100% finished and was very happy I did as I just had to put things together and start enjoying it. Hope you are as pleased with yours as I am with mine. Eric

csutton7
.275 member

Reged: 17/02/05
Loc: SF, CA
Re: Brockman CZ 500 express style stock [Re: Nframe]
      #27637 - 11/03/05 05:38 PM

thanks for the report--it's good to know---one question, does it use the barrel lug???----chris

csutton7
.275 member

#27638 - 11/03/05 05:54 PM

what did you do to get 5 in the mag--I can only get 4 in there--is it because of the stock or ????....chris

Nframe
.275 member

Reged: 29/12/04
Loc: United States
      #27644 - 11/03/05 08:26 PM

Thanks I'll give them a call next week when I get paid.

Eric
.224 member

Re: Brockman CZ 500 express style stock [Re: csutton7]
      #27659 - 12/03/05 04:25 AM

7; When I e-mailed them, they said to use the factory supplied steel barrel lug piece and transfer it into their stock. When I recieved mine, it had the piece installed. I guess you should be prepared for it to come either way. The magazine capacity was five rounds from the start. This is with the .458 Lott(parent case .375 H&H---if yours is the Rigby, you will probably only get 4 rds down.) I did consider and ordered the replacement mauser magazine spring from Brownell's as a just incase/can't hurt. The spring is very nice just has to be ground for width at the ends to slip into the slots on the floorplate and magazine follower. It is a bit stiffer than the factory spring. Just to clarify, When ready to do battle, load 5 rds in the magazine, place one round on top, a bit forward and press it down just below the bolt face. When you push the bolt forward, the rim will slip under the extractor and be controlled on its way into the breech. This gives you six rounds to sort things out if necessary. Maximun firepower is fun!!! Takes about 1/2 hour of careful fitting to achieve a snug fit for the NECG's front sights and they are really fine sights. Also the large NECG's masterpiece sight protector fits with a few file strokes and looks much better than the factory sheet metal. The more I play with my CZ, the better I like it. Hope this info helps.

Rick_R
.300 member

Reged: 03/07/03
Loc: WV, USA
      #27660 - 12/03/05 05:24 AM

Not to hijack your thread, but does anyone make a receiver sight to fit the CZ action? I'm thinking one of Brockman's stocks, a .375 action rebarrelled to .416 RM and a set of ghost ring sights would be nifty for rolling tin cans.

Rick

Eric
.224 member

Re: Brockman CZ 500 express style stock [Re: Rick_R]
      #27664 - 12/03/05 06:33 AM

I have seen mention of a reciever sight for the CZ's, but no specific manufacture or photos'. I too have considered removing the express sight, filling with a blank and installing a ghost ring aperature sight on the rear bridge. If anyone has info on these, I too would appreciate a post. Would like one that will install on the stock reciever with little or no modification. Not too interested in a sight that requires milling, or a lot of screw holes and such. I have seen catalog references to the New England Custom Guns sight for the Ruger,but do not know if it can be adapted to the CZ reciever. Someone must make one or should!

Rick_R
.300 member

Reged: 03/07/03
Loc: WV, USA
      #27665 - 12/03/05 07:06 AM

I've got two of the NECG sights, one for the Ruger and one that fits on Weaver mounts. The Ruger model is basically a block of metal with the peep running through it and I found that it blocks off too much of your field of view. Also, when you remove or use a large diameter insert the view is squared by the straight sides of the sight interior. For lack of a better description it's shaped like the flattened capitol "O" on a computer.

The Weaver sight is too ugly to be seen in polite company but it rides on my blackpowder rifle because not too many people are in the woods in WV during December.

I wouldn't mind a sight you have to drill and tap, just for piece of mind knowing it was firmly attached.

Rick

csutton7
.275 member

#27670 - 12/03/05 09:27 AM

Eric--thanks for the info---FYI I bought two of the Brownell's springs and didn't have to do any machining to make them slide into place--these were the mauser + 10% springs---

I haven't tried to get 5 down with them yet with the new spring--

I did try with the factory spring and no way--of course I didn't play with it either--I will give your method a try now to see what shakes---

I had heard that with some follower work getting 5 down could be done pretty easy--I guess by milling down the high side, but I'm not 100% sure if that's what needs to be done--

I have a CZ 458 lott, 2 CZ 416 rigby's(one brand new and the other I bought used with some gunsmith work) and CZ 375-

the 375 I just put a McMillan stock on it and bedded it, the 458 Lott had some work done to it(bedded, mercury tubes, pad & crossbolt added and a muzzlebrake), the used 416 rigby has a fiberglass stock of some kind and some other gunsmithing work(I haven't picked it up yet--need to wait until the 15th)--

I've been looking at the Brockman's stock for about a month now--as I might put one on the other 416 rigby and maybe the 458 Lott(bed job on the Lott stock isn't the greatest, but Jim Brockman thought it would suffice) or I may go with McMillan's also--but I'm in a holding pattern for buying anymore stuff as I went a little crazy the last two months buying rifles, but now I'm well stocked for DGR's for my 2 boys(when they get old enuff) and myself----

for a side note Brownell's sells Brockman's stocks--not sure of the features included--it says they have them in stock for $364--

RickR---go to www.brockmansrifles.com and click on sight options see what sights he offers-----chris

Eric
.224 member

#27671 - 12/03/05 10:23 AM

WOW Chris!!! you are way ahead of me in discovering that the new CZ 550's are really good rifles. I only have one and plan to rectify that situation very soon. Just had to remove a very bit off the 10% mauser aftermarket mag spring to slip in. Maybe I should not have started this thread as more people will discover just what a great rifle and good deal they are and the Brockman stocks and I might not be able to get one when I have another period of gun poorness! Have fun playing with yours. Another thing I just discovered, The hollow bolt recess is a bit annoying. I pushed in a proper sized cork, sticks out about 1/4 inch and have dipped the bolt knob into some of the Rust-oleum Grip & Guard rubberized tool handle coating. I've had this on an NRA over the couse highpower competition M70 for years. It seems to work out very nicely, just a bit longer than the CZ bolt knob and a bit more tacky and slip resistant. We will see how it works out and how durable it is. Anyway, back to playing with the CZ. Eric

csutton7
.275 member

#27673 - 12/03/05 11:47 AM

yea I got caught in a CZ tornado---only the one rigby is new all the others were used, I kind of went overboard on the used rigby as I had just bought the new one, but it seemed like to good of a deal to slip by--the guy I bought it from thinks it has a Bell and Carlson stock, but my gut tells me from the pics that it's a McMillan($400) plus it has some more work done to it, so I had to pull the trigger--I have options with the new one if I want now--sell it or customize it or ????-----chris

csutton7
.275 member

#27716 - 13/03/05 05:28 AM

Eric--can I ask what did you pay for the stock from Brockman's---just curious as to what Brownell's is selling them for vs. what you get from Jim---chris

Eric
.224 member

#27720 - 13/03/05 07:15 AM

Chris; 100% finished, drop in, with cheekpiece 375.00 shipping included. As you can tell I am really pleased with these stocks. I do not know how the weight compares to the synthics but it is not heavy. Gives the gun a nice balance and weight. I actually prefer a bit lighter as you carry them more than shoot them. After load development and sight in I do most of my shooting offhand and a bit of siting.

csutton7
.275 member

#27722 - 13/03/05 08:52 AM

thanks--I agree a little lighter goes a long way--chris

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #27792 - 15/03/05 02:59 PM

I saw one of these Brockman stocks last year, and the one I saw was noticeably more crude than the stocks found on a Savage 110.

csutton7
.275 member

Re: Brockman CZ 500 express style stock [Re: 500grains]
      #27801 - 15/03/05 04:37 PM

did it look finished--he sells them in different stages of fit and finish---could be you saw one in the early stages of finish---chris

500grains
.416 member

#27810 - 16/03/05 01:29 AM

Chris, yes it was finished. It was on a complete CZ550 done by Brockman's that was being shown at SCI2004. Not to be overly critical, but it was the 2nd worst rifle I saw at the show. Perhaps because Brockmans does a lot of Marlin work they are focused on the Marlin quality level.

Eric
.224 member

#27813 - 16/03/05 04:40 AM

500grains; 1'st, I really enjoy your posts'. Have managed to glean a bit of wisdom from your experience. I also saw the Brockman rifle at 2004 SCI and I did not find it objectionable. To me it was a good quality working rifle and the stock looked nice except for a somewhat roughened surface finish. (possibly air got into the spray when it was applied, although the area of the cheekpiece was smooth. I don't know for sure.) The one I recieved was a nice clear smooth finish overall. Having grown up with synthic and laminate stocks they do not offend my eye all that much. Synthics would not be my first choice as they are cold and black, grey or tan are not what I like. I will admit that the laminates poorly done look like plywood. If done with a bit of artistic application, I think they look fine. On a really wizbang custom african rifle, nothing looks better than a really nice piece of English/Turkish walnut, and I have put up a few pieces for my own use when money allows. But on a 800.00 to 1500.00 rifle I just can't justify a 700.00 to 1000.00 piece of wood. I would rather put money on setting it up and loading ammo for practice and hunting with it. Over the last few years I have seen a bunch of bigbore rifles that were carrying around laminated stocks and not heard anythihg about them shivering their handles. I am hoping that the technology has solved the problem that existed when these first came on the market. If mine falls apart, I will post it for others info. Untill the right time, I am doing my part to save the trees by putting several really nice stock blanks away for the future. Eric

500grains
.416 member

#27866 - 17/03/05 10:05 AM

Eric,

Perhaps a part of my disappointment in the Brockman work is linked to the fact that the factory CZ550 stocks are more nicely fitted and finished than the Brockman's stock I handled. Looking at the Brockman products after handling Hartman & Weiss rifles may have further emphasized the contrast in quality. The CZ550 American stock is a significant upgrade from the Brockman stock. Of course the factory CZ550 stocks vary in quality and apperance, with some being quite nice and some being ugly, but all of them that I have seen were better than what Brockman's showed me. In my opinion, taking a CZ550 American stock off and replacing it with a Brockman's laminate is like taking a Win. Model 70 custom shop stock off (reasonably nice, but not fantastic) and replacing it with a Ramline.

Eric
.224 member

#27900 - 17/03/05 06:48 PM

500grains; I can respect a difference of opinion. I left my finger prints on every fine gun at that show. My factory CZ stock is nice too. I did strip the factory finish and found some nice grained wood underneath. Have bedded it and reinforced it with machine screws and agraglass. Installed a pachmyar flush fit forward sling swivel. Still have to put a lot of epoxy into the interior inletting to fill up the air space and put an oil finish on the stock. What I really like about the Brockman stock is the really snug, tight fit on the interior inletting... no air space to fill and recoil flexing to deal with. Also the two cross bolts are a nice touch. The factory finish on the CZ stock contains some red coloration on the seal coat and I prefered to strip it and see the natural wood color. Anway, two stocks can't be all that bad

Eric
.224 member

#28493 - 29/03/05 07:38 AM

Well, I now have 66 rounds through the CZ .458 Lott. While paying attention to the stock, I noticed a bit of chipping started by the 14th round. Thought this may be a problem due to the tight inletting around the tang. Stopped shooting and went home. Added some agraglass and after it set up got out the dremel with a sanding drum and relieved the inlet at the rear radius of the tang, about a 1/16 of an inch. Just pulled the barreled action to check the stock and so far no problems. Shooting the Lott is a whole lot more fun offhand than off a bench. Will settle on a practice load of Barnes 500gr flat nosed banded solid, Hornady brass, Winchester primer and 77.0grs Accurate 2520. Goes 2150fps and shoots into a big hole benched @ 50yards. I am using the open express rear with a NECG's 3/32" front bead. I believe I will mill clearence on the front sight ramp for their 3/32" bead/flip up 11/64" close quarters front sight. The Brockman stock may not have any problem with .375 H&H or .416 Rigby but, it needs to be relieved at the rear of the tang for the .458 Lott. So far it seems to be holding up well.

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
      #28945 - 05/04/05 12:49 PM

I talked with Jim this afternoon and told him about the comparison of his CZ stocks with Marlin stocks.

Jim got a chuckle out of it. He said he hears that at shows all the time, and especially in reference to the roughness of the finish on the stocks. "about what you would expect on a Marlin or Savage" Jim then points out that the finish he uses is a clear grit epoxy. The clear smooth epoxy finishes normally found on the laminated stocks are slick an that makes it difficult to hang on to the gun especially if has some recoil. The grit epoxy solves that problem. Jim said it works so well he is now using it in his Marlin work.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

500grains
.416 member

Re: Brockman CZ 500 express style stock [Re: DoubleD]
      #28946 - 05/04/05 01:33 PM

DoubleD, I am glad to hear that Jim did not think my comment was unfair.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7006

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com