Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sako 85 Kodiak

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
REM308
.224 member

Reged: 03/05/09
Loc: Perth, Western Australia
Sako 85 Kodiak
      #139976 - 03/08/09 11:01 PM

Hi All

I am looking for a 375 H&H and like the look of the Sako Kodiak. My hunting would be mostly pigs and the odd buffalo in the Northern Territory. I like the idea of the laminated stock and stainless barrel, short and handy.

Does anyone have experience with this rifle, any issues that need to be sorted out, like the trigger, weight versus recoil (or recoil pad).

I have pretty much decided that 375 H&H is the calibre to have as the price of the larger ammo is a bit steep and I really cannot be bothered reloading, and you have to shoot and be comfortable with the rifle before upsetting a buffalo.

Have not decided on a scope (or sights) yet, but a low power leupold VX3 or a Doctor Red Dot Sight -3.5 MOA, or something similar that is quick to point and can take the punishment of a large rifle.

Interested in your comments.

REM308

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Schauckis
.300 member

Reged: 17/07/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Sako 85 Kodiak [Re: REM308]
      #139994 - 04/08/09 05:25 AM

No experience, but all the tests agree that the trigger action is superb as is usual on the Sakos.

The gun felt balanced and pointed well in my hands when trying at an outdoors fair.

- Lars/Finland

--------------------
A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

gwh
.333 member

Reged: 28/01/08
Loc: Cairns Australia
Re: Sako 85 Kodiak [Re: Schauckis]
      #152465 - 01/02/10 06:26 PM

I have had my kodiak 375 H+H for around 4 months - I really like it. The action is smooth, the trigger is great and it is quite light. It recoils nicely, although my only criticism would be the hard sako recoil pad - that said, I probably won't change mine.

This rifle will be going across to Africa with me in Sept shooting 270 Gr woodleigh PPSN pills.

To be honest, i find it a little hard to fault. Still some more load testing on the range to be done yet though.

cheers

--------------------
Hunt hard, shoot straight

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim"

Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, 1910

REM308
.224 member

Re: Sako 85 Kodiak [Re: gwh]
      #152739 - 03/02/10 10:53 PM

Hi GWH

I have decided to get the Kodiak. It just looks good and Sako has a good reputation and I have never heard a bad thing about them. I have also decided on the Trijicon 1.25-4 green triangle. Something a little different and I think will work really well together.

Thanks
Rem308

gwh
.333 member

Reged: 28/01/08
Loc: Cairns Australia
      #152930 - 05/02/10 07:27 PM

you'll have a ball with it mate - they are purpose built hunting rifles and they are good scopes

--------------------
Hunt hard, shoot straight

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim"

Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, 1910

scott9362
.224 member

Reged: 12/09/09
Loc: Victoria
Re: Sako 85 Kodiak [Re: gwh]
      #153041 - 07/02/10 05:56 AM

Rem 308 that's a a great coincidence.

I was at the WDHA show at Rutherglen today and looked at the Kodiak and thought it was great. It came up and pointed beautifully, the open sights were great, barrel band suits me, nice balance, compact, weight in the barrel and the bolt was smooth as.

Then later I was looking at the Trijicon green triangle 1.25-4 and loved it too. In fact I would have bought the Trijicon on the spot except I'd just blown the budget an hour before. This is going to be a brilliant combination you'll have.

Cheers mate

Scott

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Sako 85 Kodiak [Re: scott9362]
      #153061 - 07/02/10 10:21 AM

G'Day Fella's,

REM308, whilst I have no experience with the SAKO 85, a mate of mine has a SAKO 75 (blued & walnut), in .375 H&H Mag and is perfectly happy with it!
As to the cartridge, you have made a bloody good choice as EVERYBODY Needs At Least One .375 H&H Magnum!!!
I personally don't believe recoil should be a problem (unless your a Sudanese Dwarf), as it is just a big push. Don't get me wrong, it's more than your .308 but in the field, you probably wont even remember firing the shot/shots (because of recoil)!

Hope that has been of some help to you.

Also, I learned a loooooog time ago (in a galaxy far...), that the worse thing you can do in life is say to yourself, "Gee, I Wish I had............(Purchased This, Done That, Went There, Bonked Her etc etc....)"!
So if the Sako 85 is just what you want, Buy it!
That is, if all the bills are paid, you and or the family are fed and clothed etc.
Get exactly what you want and go out and Use It, you will Never Regret it!!!
If you can't afford it right now. Go without, save up and get exactly what you want!
I can't argue with your or Scott's choice on the www.trijicon.com sights either, as they really are something else!

HooRoo
From
Hommer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

REM308
.224 member

Re: Sako 85 Kodiak [Re: Homer]
      #153162 - 08/02/10 11:45 PM

Thanks guys

I have a sako 222 that has only ever had one miss feed in many thousands of rounds, and still shoots pretty well, although I hardly ever use it now I have the Remington weathermaster in 308 with a Leopold VX3 2.5-8 scope. Very handy with a 10 round clip and a pistol grip stock.

I looked at all the other "Big" game rifles and they all were very pricey for the blue/wood combo, which looks good until scratched worn etc. Also rust etc can be a pain.

The stainless and laminate should be extremely durable.

I am not saying money is no problem, but I don't mind paying for quality. Sako has a good reputation, the 375H&H has a good reputation, and the Trijicon has a good reputation, and all are reasonable priced.

PS, I have no regrets, if you want to do something just do it.

I am ordering and stuff now, so soon enough the job will be done, then let the fun begin!!!

Cheers and good shooting.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #153679 - 14/02/10 08:39 PM

I have to agree with what is being said about the 375H&H and the Trijicon scope. I don't have a Sako so cant comment on them. My 375H&H is a CZ 550 with a Trijicon 1.25-4 with an amber triangle. The green was not an option when I bought mine. I think you will be happy with the Trijicon and Sako.

Cheers
Greg

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7632

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com