Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Are Take Down Turnbolts Accurate?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
Are Take Down Turnbolts Accurate?
      #12659 - 28/03/04 06:17 AM

...curious whether anyone here has had any experience with big bore (.416 rigby and .500 jefferey) takedown turnbolts...are they as accurate as their fixed barrel brethren?...

...tia...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Are Take Down Turnbolts Accurate? [Re: ThomasEdwards]
      #12674 - 28/03/04 08:44 AM

The largest I have any familiarity with is a 375 H&H. It was of the interruupted thread design and my short answer would be no, it is not as accurate.

I am looking into getting one made with the lugs in the barrel. This is a very strong way to put them together, like Dakota and Johannson. They claim no change in point of aim or accuracy.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Re: Are Take Down Turnbolts Accurate? [Re: mickey]
      #12675 - 28/03/04 08:53 AM

mickey,

...i appreciate the response...

...i am thinking of getting a heym safari express take-down in either .416 rigby or .500 jefferey as a replacement for a problematic ruger rsm .416 rigby...this would be my 'big bore' for anything that the 9.3 double could not handle...

...when i look at heym's website, i notice that the express take-downs also feature the same type of 'lugs' used on the dakota take-downs...this would presumably assist in the accuracy department as you have suggested...

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #12744 - 29/03/04 07:58 AM

I have found switch barrels a pain in that you never have the barrel in the action that you need when needed...

Like everything that comes apart, it does not work as well as things that do not come apart, its always a compromise and you have decide if its worth it...Just like quick detach mounts, if they worked as good as some folks think then they would be great but in the real world then simply do not, but close enough for Govt. work is the compromise with them....when I reattach my scope I shoot a test shot every time, I learned that the hard way on more than one ocassion...

470Rigby
.333 member

Reged: 23/02/04
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
      #12746 - 29/03/04 08:51 AM

ThomasEdwards...you did not indicate whether you wanted a takedown for compactness when travelling or to be able to switch barrels?

If you just want compactness, you could consider the Holland & Holland system where the barrel and reciever simply comes out of the stock with a quick release mechanism, and there is no penalty in loss of accuracy or point of aim.

Accuracy (and point of aim)in switch-barrel systems will depend on;
1.System used - the integral bolt to barrel locking systems such as used by Blaser/Swissarms etc. are very good in this respect.
2. Quality of fitting the takedown system - and state of wear!
3. Whether the Scope is mounted on the barrel or reciever - mounting on the barrel allows for a dedicated scope for each barrel and avoids the use QD mount sysems - another potential source of innacuracy.

Gibbs505
.333 member

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: BC, Canada
      #12763 - 29/03/04 02:59 PM

Never shot one so I don't know for sure. I have reas though that some snipers use them but they must be made real carefullyu.

--------------------
So I can't spell, so what?

Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who don't!

Those who fail to learn from history will be doomed to repeat it

**DONOTDELETE**

#12774 - 29/03/04 11:41 PM

There's a guy here in Oslo who's waiting for a take-down in 416 Rigby made by Ritterbusch. I don't know the cost, but presume it's VERY expensive... He went with this maker because he feels they are the ones to make the most accurate take-down. When he recieves it in a couple of weeks I'll check with him and ask how it shoots.

Erik D.

-----------------
John,

As you can tell, I'm on another pc right now. My plan of setting the laptop at home up like this one didn't work. Nothing changed. I'll continue trying.

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Re: Are Take Down Turnbolts Accurate? [Re: atkinson6]
      #12843 - 31/03/04 02:55 PM

...just back from a short trip...appreciate the responses...

...my interest in the take-down heym express has more to do with ease of travel (and cleaning) than the ability to switch barrels...and, with a .416 rigby (or perhaps .500 jefferey) and less than 150 yard shooting distances, moa is not that critical, so long as actual accuracy is within the range of reasonablness hunting-wise (e.g., 1.5-2.0 moa at 100 yards)...

...i suppose at the end of the day i really just want to rid myself of the ruger rsm and acquire a semi-quality big bore turnbolt that can somewhat emulate the ease of a take-down double...

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
      #12845 - 31/03/04 05:13 PM

I have a Duane Wiebe custom takedown 500 Jeffery. Range work has been limited, you can look through a few old posts in this forum about my experiences with it. But... it does appear to return to 50 yard zero for me. At least as much as I've shot it.

When the weather warms a bit and the snows stop, I'll definitely get work with this one, but my initial verdict is - yes, very accurate.

scrollcutter
.224 member

Reged: 08/02/04
Loc: Washington State
Re: Are Take Down Turnbolts Accurate? [Re: DPhillips]
      #12947 - 03/04/04 02:42 AM

DPhillips:

You are shooting the rifle I was supposed to win. LOL

I think that takedowns can be made to shoot very accurately (like your Wiebe rifle). My experience with Winchester take downs is that the accuracy degrades over time even with the take-up feature. With a high grade bolt gun and modern steels that accuracy life is probably extended.

I think they are neat guns and would love to own one by a quality maker, but it's probably not in the cards for me.

--------------------
Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
Kehrengraving@comcast.net

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Re: Are Take Down Turnbolts Accurate? [Re: scrollcutter]
      #12953 - 03/04/04 04:18 AM

This rifle would be scarey accurate if I would put the scope back on it. I'm not quite there yet, though.

At some point when I get use to it, I will shoot several groups, taking the rifle down in between each to see what changes there are. That will be many moons down the road though.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #12963 - 03/04/04 09:29 AM

I have tested the Blaser R-93 rifle and scope mounts quite a bit. They go back to zero every time.
However for a big bore rifle I recommend you get a double rifle. Scope it if you need to. If I bought a new made double it would have scope mounts for sure.

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2480

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com