Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A Hunter’s Guide to Aging Lions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
A Hunter’s Guide to Aging Lions
      #76570 - 15/04/07 07:25 AM

I saw that both Safari Press ( http://www.safaripress.com/product.php?productid=742&cat=0&page=1 ) and Zimbi Books ( http://www.zimbibooks.com/BookDetails.asp?ID=578 ) are now selling a book called "A Hunter's Guide to Aging Lions in Eastern and Southern Africa"

Quote:

In recent years, the population numbers of the wild African lion have become a cause of concern. These large cats are under increasing pressure from habitat destruction and livestock owners. Anti-hunters have used this as an opportunity to try to shut down lion hunting, a move that would make the survival chances of the wild African lion much worse. In an effort to promote responsible and sustainable harvests of older male lions, Conservation Force has published this field guide. Designed with a lay-flat spiral binding, it is intended to be taken on a lion hunt in the bush. It shows how to differentiate a young lion from a medium-aged one and goes into detail about how to spot an old lion. Field-judging an older lion is not nearly as hard as it would seem since the color of the nose, the condition of the teeth, the condition of the mane, and the markings on the rear legs are all important clues. All these indicators are clearly described and illustrated in this well-researched, high-quality publication.
This guide is an invaluable tool for anyone who wishes to hunt or observe lions. It is the most detailed publication on the subject, bar none. Royalties from the sale of each guide go to Conservation Force, the foremost advocate of sustainable hunting and wise use of our environmental resources.

14X21cm, soft cover, spiral bound, 46 pages, full colour throughout.

This might be an interesting book for potential lion hunters, as estimating the age of lions is often a topic of discussion it seems.

Erik

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: A Hunter’s Guide to Aging Lions [Re: EricD]
      #76639 - 16/04/07 08:48 AM

It may be an essential reference for those hunting with Tanzania Game Tracker Safaris as they have a minimum age requirement before a client may shoot a lion.

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: A Hunter’s Guide to Aging Lions [Re: 500grains]
      #76700 - 17/04/07 01:27 AM

Under the Tourist Hunting Regulations of 2000, Tanzania already has a stipulated age minimum on Lions of 6 years or older. Get it wrong and the PH faces a potential fine of twice the trophy fee and possible confiscation of the trophy.

TGTS already have their own guide to ageing Lions.... they commissioned a very extensive private report on Lion management and age guide a few years ago. All PHs get a copy and I believe it's also available to the clients. - Might be wrong on that though.....

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (17/04/07 04:31 AM)

SBT
.224 member

Reged: 03/01/03
Loc: Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Re: A Hunter’s Guide to Aging Lions [Re: shakari]
      #77042 - 20/04/07 05:51 AM

Erik,
I bought a copy and was a little disapointed. Using the criteria included, it would be very difficult to accurately age lions in the field.

EricD
.416 member

Re: A Hunter’s Guide to Aging Lions [Re: SBT]
      #77046 - 20/04/07 06:12 AM

SBT,

That's very interesting. And disappointing to hear! Could you please elaborate?

Erik

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: A Hunter’s Guide to Aging Lions [Re: 500grains]
      #77135 - 20/04/07 11:59 PM

Quote:

It may be an essential reference for those hunting with Tanzania Game Tracker Safaris as they have a minimum age requirement before a client may shoot a lion.

I heard from a reliable source that if you are hunting Lion with TGTS and you are in the blind while the Lion comes to bait, the PH has to take a picture of it. Then you LEAVE THE BLIND AND GO BACK TO CAMP TO EMAIL THE PICTURE TO THE BOSS TO SAY YES/NO!!! Imagine if you were hunting 21 days with TGT ($$$$$) and you see a beautiful old solitary Lion in the last days of the Safari that your PH agrees is over the age minimum, but you aren't allowed to shoot until management gives the OK! You may (likely?) never see that Lion again. Talk about a racket. Would never hunt Lion with them. The amount of Lion hunts they sell versus how many they shoot is ridiculous. Also, you can't tell me that certain big money/VIP clients don't get preference when it comes to allowing them to shoot.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

SBT
.224 member

Reged: 03/01/03
Loc: Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Re: A Hunter’s Guide to Aging Lions [Re: bulldog563]
      #77311 - 24/04/07 11:56 AM

ErickD,

Here are a couple of examples. In the section called "Facial Marking" is says that young males have glossy fur and they show photos. I have trouble seeing the glossy fur. It goes on to say that as males mature, their face will broaden. Then it says that as they age, the faces will thin. That confuses me.

Re nose pigmentation, the differences between a 4 year old and 6 year old are hard to distinguish. At 7 years it is obvious.

Then it shows teeth. Good luck looking at your lions teeth before you shoot him.

All in all, I found the brochure interesting, but not useful. However, for only $16.95, it is hard to complain.

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
      #77323 - 24/04/07 04:42 PM

I don't personally place much faith in the black nose theory, all you have to do is turn on to any of the lion programmes on the wildlife channels and you'll see lion noses of every age and every hue, including cubs with totally black noses. The theory was based on study of lions from one relatively small area in Tanzania and nowhere else, which only proves that lions in that particular area might develop black noses as they grow older. Even if were true, the fact is that when hunting lions, their noses are often covered in mud/blood etc which would make identification more difficult. - To say nothing of the fact that mature lions spend a fair amount of their time fighting and getting scratches on their face and nose....... how then could you tell the difference between a half healed scratch and pink pigmentation?

I place much more faith in the general shape of the lion, particularly the breadth of the head. (the wider it is, the older the animal) & body markings such as spotting on the legs etc. Also general mane development, bearing in mind the geographical area and what is common in that particular area, the general behaviour of the animal, (a mature lion is a lot more confident than a younger one in his body language and finally the hairline of the mane where it meets the face. In most areas but not all, if it has an 'Elvis' style haircut, it's not reached it's peak.

All that said, one also has to consider that what is a good lion to take as regards trophy quality vs responsible lion management vs that particular client's requirements. Many experts now don't have a problem with taking lions that hold a pride if there are no dependant youngsters - they say you should try to take them on a 'rolling road' basis if there are other lions waiting in the wings to take over. That to me makes a lot of sense.

As for glossy fur, when it's full of dust etc it ain't so easy to judge gloss through a pair of binos......

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (24/04/07 04:44 PM)

EricD
.416 member

#77324 - 24/04/07 05:03 PM

Quote:

Then it shows teeth. Good luck looking at your lions teeth before you shoot him.

That depends if the lion is already munching on your arm or not.

Thanks for the info SBT.

Erik

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3739

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com