Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mozambique - a forgotten hunting ground?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Mozambique - a forgotten hunting ground? [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #13435 - 13/04/04 01:22 PM

That's really a baby Sable.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Mozambique - a forgotten hunting ground? [Re: mickey]
      #13444 - 13/04/04 08:07 PM

I noticed in the photo that the coat had yet to turn black as it does on mature Sable. I found it interesting that the author said it was the largest one taken in that concession.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #13445 - 13/04/04 08:26 PM

In reply to:

I noticed in the photo that the coat had yet to turn black as it does on mature Sable. I found it interesting that the author said it was the largest one taken in that concession.

I'm a little lost. Where was this said? I don't bellieve the gentleman who sent the photos to me has posted anything on these forums to date

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Mozambique - a forgotten hunting ground? [Re: NitroX]
      #13450 - 13/04/04 11:35 PM

Nitro, they could be referring to the NRA mag just mentioned by MikeH416.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
      #13453 - 14/04/04 01:23 AM

NitroX

My guess would be head cheese.

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Mozambique - a forgotten hunting ground? [Re: 475Guy]
      #13466 - 14/04/04 08:50 AM

You are correct sir.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#13474 - 14/04/04 09:48 AM

Fellows Thanks. I was thinking I had missed something somewhere.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #13615 - 17/04/04 07:14 AM

I have hunted there but never again unless they open for elephant, it is a swamp and I don't like Swamps or Swampy places...too many things that buzz, crawl and slither and any time I'm in water in Africa I get tense, not scared just friggen tense...

They used to have the best Kudu in the world and were reknown for elephant, but I never saw any real big buff there, not to say there arn't a few around..

I'll take Tanzania...I love RSA but it just gotten too closed up, and is pretty much a plainsgame country...

Buffalobwana
.224 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: TX
Re: Mozambique - a forgotten hunting ground? [Re: shakari]
      #13877 - 23/04/04 01:44 AM

Posted by Shakari "Trophy quality of Buff is certainly no better than anywhere else and nowadays (despite the BS you often read on websites etc) any Buff over 40 inches anywhere in Africa is unusual..... "

Very true. A 40" Buffalo has come to be the benchmark that a trophy hunter requires for a good hunt. Very hard to find, outside of select areas of Zambia and Masailand. Sure they are everywhere, they are in the Selous, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Caprivi. Just try to find one on a 7-day hunt and you could come up nuts.

Shoot the first 38-39" hard bossed bull you see, and be darn happy with the experience. That is a great Buffalo.

Now, there is a lot of misinformation on Mozambique here. Each one of us posts our own personal experiences. Mine differs from all of yours. And none of us are right ... or wrong for that matter. We are all accurate to describing a specific area.

Mozambique is an enormous country. It touches South Africa and Tanzania and a lot of other countries in between. Any time you cover this much ground, you will have varied terrain, game numbers, trophy quality etc.

Where I hunted in Moz had more Buffalo than I saw in the Selous during my brief 7-day hunt. (and I saw a lot of Buffalo in the Selous!) I saw 4 Buff here in Mozambique that I know were over 40" I saw them all in one day, in the same herd. One was 46 1/4. I know because I killed him. One other one was about 42 and two others were hard to judge, but if they were 41-42, it wouldn't surprise me. They were all together, along with about 200 other Buffalo. This was on the 5th day after bustin our butts to find a 39" Buffalo, which we never saw in the previous 4 days hunting.

The camps are great, the food is great. It is identical to a Zimbabwe hunt in the Zambezi valley.

That is the area of Mozambique that I know. I would love to go back. If I did I would look for a Buffalo of about 39" again. I think that is very reasonable in 7-days.

This area is sick with Elephant. More darn Elephant than I have ever seen before. This guy gets 3 CITES export permits. All his hunters are Spanish. I have a picture of me holding up two tusks from the same Elephant. 86 x 72 is a darn good Elephant.

The other two Elephant were both over 50. He has good Elephant here.

The USF&W will not issue an import permit for an Elephant shot in Mozambique. It makes no sense, but that is the problem with importing them into US. I do not believe you can go through SA with it either. That seems way to easy. The Elephant would have Mozambique CITES attached to it. I guess you could illegally get a SA CITES permit, saying it was shot in SA, but you are bound to get caught. It aint worth it!

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Mozambique - a forgotten hunting ground? [Re: Buffalobwana]
      #13890 - 23/04/04 02:58 PM

Can anyone tell me why the US F&WS adopt this odd policy regarding Mozambican Elephants?.......and is it only Elephants or are ther problems importing any other species?

I'm actually suprised that they are allowed to prevent these imports. surely if the country of origin issues the CITES export licence and all vet clearance procedures are complied with, they have no right to refuse an import licence.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Buffalobwana
.224 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: TX
      #14019 - 27/04/04 05:26 AM

SHakari,

It makes no sense. USF&W will not issue the import permit for a Mozambique Elephant, even though there is a valid CITES export permit.

They will allow the importation of Leopard, Hippo, Crocodile etc. No Elephant though.

John Jackson III has one US client who has shot a Bull Elephant here. He is going to use it as a test case against the USF&W. He assures me it will eventually go through and he will win.

That will be a good day because there are some very good Elephant here.

shakari
.400 member

Re: Mozambique - a forgotten hunting ground? [Re: Buffalobwana]
      #14099 - 29/04/04 05:24 AM

Well,

I've been looking into this, and I'm ashamed to say that I was suprised to discover that Mozambican Elephants are listed as CITES I and not CITES II as most of Southern Africa are.

It seems that Mozambique did not apply for the downgrade when RSA, ZIM etc did so. The good news is that if the Moz outfitter did/does his job correctly then he will have applied for and been granted a CITES I Elephant export licence......if he has that then I'm told the US F&WS will have no problem issuing an import licence for it. However if the outfitter applied for a CITES II licence or no licence at all then it will probably be impossible to pursuade the US F&WS to co-operate.

Hope you're buddy manages to get it sorted out.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#155600 - 06/03/10 04:31 AM

BTTT

Maybe Ozhunter would like to post on this thread.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #155630 - 06/03/10 11:45 AM

I have enjoyed two hunts and some extended time at the northern hunting area of Block B, Niassa Game Reserve Northern Mozambique. (Will be back this season after a Zim Ele hunt ).
This reserve is roughly the size of Wales and its northern boarder is with Tanzania.
The main access to the eastern hunting areas of the reserve are to fly from Johannesburg to the coastal town of Pemba which is the capital of the Cabo Delgado Province of Moz. Then either drive or fly into the interior from there.
To Block B www.kambakosafaris.com area, the drive is around ten hours or a two and a half hour flight by Cessna.
This area is made up of dry Miombo woodland with some open flays, Bamboo and Jesse thickets.
No Swamps.
The main River system in this area is the Lugenda.
Main species are;
Elephant (Reserve has set a minimum 60lbs tusk limit) No export to US yet.
Lion, Reserve has set a six year old minimum. Niassa Lion are quite bold and can be stalked when at a bait.
Buffalo, Block B has highest recorded number of Buff for Niassa reserve hunting ares.
Leopard, Not as big as Lowvelt cats but similar in size to Zambezi cats. The beauty is that you can get them on bait during the day in this remote area.
Eland, Just a great hunt for these huge Antelope.
Sable, (Roosevelt)great in this area.

A 45+" Niassa Buff.

Understandably due to the remoteness of this area and the Niassa Reserve's restricted Quota the hunting here is slightly more expensive than some other areas but the difference is visible.

This is an area for those that have dreamed of a "classic old Africa styled Safari".

You can contact me for any other info for Niassa area Safaris.

View from one of Kambako's camps.

Away from main camp for a night or two is a great option.

From this lookout we watched our trackers searching for Eland spoor, only to see a lion pass the same spot shortly after.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Mozambique - a forgotten hunting ground? [Re: ozhunter]
      #155633 - 06/03/10 01:08 PM

Very nice informational report. Thank you.

shakari
.400 member

#155649 - 06/03/10 07:08 PM

Mozambique has improved a lot over recent years and whilst there's the fair share of fly by nights around there's also some very good operations up there.

Amongst 'em and in no particular order Johan Strasheim, Toni Wicker, Jason Van Aarde and Walter Enslin.... all offer some great hunts. Both Jason and Walter took excellent elephant up there last year.... both in the region of 70 lbs a side and both report sightings of even bigger ones they were unable to make contact with. It is still and always will be tough hunting though.

Update on why the USF&WS won't allow elephant imports despite the country having a perfectly legitimate CITES quota is that the USF&WS claim the country doesn't have a properly organised elephant management plan in place.

I reckon this is utter bunk and I'd say their management plan is better organised than some neighbouring countries that USF&WS do allow imports from.

The truth is that around the time of the original trade ban Moz applied to move a very large consignment of ivory and upon investigation, it turned out to have come from elsewhere in Africa and been smuggled into Moz...... however, this was bloody years ago and since then everything, including the people involved have changed.

As I see it, the truth is that the USF&WS are behaving like a bitter and twisted ex-wife who just wants to stuff thing up just because she can.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

shakari
.400 member

#155652 - 06/03/10 09:55 PM

Here's the 70 pounder Jason van Aarde took last year:

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #155653 - 06/03/10 10:23 PM

Shakari, I'm booked in there in Sept, just for 10 days to try for a good croc and a decent Hippo, first Africa outing for the Holland best, Mike

shakari
.400 member

Re: Mozambique - a forgotten hunting ground? [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #155654 - 06/03/10 11:00 PM

Mike,

Sounds good buddy.... who are you booked with?

September will be hot but not as hot as a bit later in the year!..... and of course, you won't be doing any long tabs for those species.

email sent BTW....

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (06/03/10 11:01 PM)

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
      #155663 - 07/03/10 01:31 AM

It would be an awesome elie destination if it were only legal....

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Mozambique - a forgotten hunting ground? [Re: ozhunter]
      #155666 - 07/03/10 03:59 AM

Quote:

I have enjoyed two hunts and some extended time at the northern hunting area of Block B, Niassa Game Reserve Northern Mozambique. (Will be back this season after a Zim Ele hunt ).

Thanks mate for the first hand experience comments.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
      #155668 - 07/03/10 04:44 AM

In 1998 , in the Reserva de Morroneu we had a lot of mosquitos and no buffalos !

Edited by grandveneur (07/03/10 04:52 AM)

AfricaHunter
.224 member

Reged: 27/12/08
Loc: California
Re: Mozambique - a forgotten hunting ground? [Re: grandveneur]
      #155687 - 07/03/10 01:20 PM

I hunted Moz in 2003 and again in 2005. During those safaris I took a 43" Cape Buff, a new handgun record Suni and Red Duiker, and another Cape Buff with a handgun in the swamps and a variety of other animals. Lots of Ele but not importable to the U.S. Game was plentiful and camp was typical safari tents with attached shower and toilet. Fresh water was no problem. Argos for the swamp hunts from a fly camp. Power boats for the hippo and Croc on the Zambezi River. The swamp hunts can be physically demanding and are a days ride into and out of the fly camp. Three hours by Argo into the swamp, three hours to hunt Buff and a three hour Argo ride back to fly camp. Lots of Cape Buff in the swamp, where they were driven by poaching during the war. There are now herds on dry land as well as the Buff begin moving out of the swamps. The U.N. claims to have removed all land mines.

I consider Moz and Zambia (hunted in 2000 and 2004) to be the two best safari countries today.

Edited by LionHunter (07/03/10 01:23 PM)

Oldsarge
.300 member

Reged: 07/02/05
Loc: SoCal Borderlands
Re: Mozambique - a forgotten hunting ground? [Re: AfricaHunter]
      #155754 - 08/03/10 08:22 AM

I've hunted Moz twice and am saving to return in '12. I went with Bahati twice before Joachim bought Piet out. Excellent hunts both trips with what I thought were good buff in the swamp. The first was a honest 41", the second a broom-tipped old monster with the widest boss I'd ever seen. That old boy almost got me! Good shooting on Marius' part saved my antique hide. To me Coutada 10 is a vision of what Africa was a hundred years ago. You can look out over the savannah between the swampy places and expect a hundred men with boxes on their heads to appear at any moment. Haven't ever hunted Zambia but Mozambique is my favorite. I won't set foot in Zim again until Bobby kicks the bucket.

--------------------
Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle!

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Mozambique - a forgotten hunting ground? [Re: atkinson6]
      #155890 - 09/03/10 07:39 PM

Quote:

I have hunted there but never again unless they open for elephant, it is a swamp and I don't like Swamps or Swampy places...too many things that buzz, crawl and slither and any time I'm in water in Africa I get tense, not scared just friggen tense...

We drove right up through Moz last year and hunted in Cabo del Gado. The northern parts of the country I saw were undulating and not at all swampy. The concession had a mountain range running along one side and a river on the other. The only place I saw a mosquito in September was my room in Pemba. The tsetsi flies were a pest if you left the car window open but never bothered us in the bush. We found a long snake skin but not its owner. We wore shorts and would nap in the dry leaves after lunch and fortunately none of the army ants came along while we were doing it.

It was the same area they got that elephant pictured above. I got a shot at everything I went for but can't comment on relativities as it was my first trip.

- Paul

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 21550

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com