Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Who has hunted in Zambia?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
Who has hunted in Zambia?
      #70515 - 31/01/07 01:37 AM

I'm getting ready to book a Zambian safari, so your experiences and comments would be most welcome!

AD

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
butchloc
.300 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: faribault mn
Re: Who has hunted in Zambia? [Re: allenday]
      #70535 - 31/01/07 05:35 AM

I was there in 2000 and am going again this year. Hunted the north lugwana for lion etc. Had a bad outfitter who wouldn't get my ammo, 375, scope etc. to the camp because it arrived a day late, so ended up hunting everything with a 470 & 1 box of ammo. Best PH I ever have had however. Steewart Findlay Cooper, but i don't think he's in it anymore. anyway the area was beautiful with lots of animals and birdlife. of course the camera a film was in the baggage not delivered to. Shot a 30" hippo just for lion bait. This year we're going with john duploy for sititaunga & lewche. You don't say where in the country you're headed for, but travel can be expensive, either in the terms of air charter fees or days of travel by car. I've always taken the car travel whereever i can, because I get to see the country. Anyway, there are lots of tetse flies there, be prepared. The rivers have big crocs in them if you want one. Depending on time of year the bush can be really heavy or not. They do a bunch of burning in zam to get rid of the old dead grass, so you'll probably see a bunch of fires, they burn all day and go out an night. I believe you'll have the time of your life.

SBT
.224 member

Reged: 03/01/03
Loc: Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Re: Who has hunted in Zambia? [Re: butchloc]
      #70546 - 31/01/07 07:16 AM

I hunted there this past September, along the North Luangwa with Alister Norton of Muchinga Adventures (Johnny DuPlooy). We had a great safari. It is wild country. We had elephants in camp every night, hippo within 10 feet of the grass chalet at night, and heard lions roaring every night until I killed an old black maned lion. Two natives were trampled and killed by elephatns during the two weeks preceeding our safari and two were mauled by lions while we were there. We also saw lions and lionesses furing the day.

The place is crawling with leopards. Over the past three years, between Alister and Johnny they have had 32 leopard hunters take 32 leopards - 100% success - during the daytime - over bait.

The river is filled with hippo and croc, although the crocs are small. Largest we saw during a 21 day safari was about 12 foot. There are also plenty of buffalo. Big herds and dagga boys. Expect 38" and larger. Plains game in the area include puku, impala, Chobe bushbuck, grysbok, warthog, wildebeast, a few kudu, few zebra, a few eland and a few roan in the hills. Yellow baboons are everywhere.

The only disapointment was the smokey skies. We never saw blue sky. This was in September. Temperatures ranged from mid 80's (f) at the begining of the month to about 109 (f) when we hunted in the hills.

There is miombo woodlands, plains, riverine, and hill country.

Book with Alister as your PH. You'll love it!

.224 member

Reged: 09/01/06
Loc: Manassas,Virginia USA
      #70578 - 31/01/07 10:02 PM

I hunted there last July with Peter Chipman of Kwalata Safaris. I hunted with Sarge, a excellent PH.
They run a top rate camp in the Luangwa Valley.Lots of game, expect cape buff. of 38" and up, lots of puku,bushbuck,hippo, croc, leopard, elephant and lion.I was lucky and got a 60 1/2" kudu, they do not see that size there often though.They take good care of you from start to finish.

MopaneMike
.300 member

Reged: 03/01/06
Loc: So Cal USA
      #70720 - 03/02/07 06:56 AM

I hunted the Kosonso just before the closure.. Too much poaching and human activity, lots of Puku limited numbers of game.. Lions where every where, I later came to the conclusion that they where picking off the wounded Buffalo from the poachers.. We shot 4 Buff between us, all 4 had .30 cal bullets in them.. The outfitter was a thief as well as his PH manager Ray Millican of Lion Heart Safaris.. The only time buffalo came into the concession was from lion pressure pushing them out of the park.. With that being said. Zambia is where I fell in love with Africa.

--------------------
MopaneMike

bwanamrm
.224 member

Reged: 24/07/03
Loc: Texas, USA
Re: Who has hunted in Zambia? [Re: MopaneMike]
      #71885 - 19/02/07 04:13 AM

I preceded SBT into the Chanjuzi concession in the Northern Luangwa River Valley with Muchinga Adventures and can wholeheartedly recommend both the area and the outfit! I took two buffalo by tracking the same fields PHC hunted during his time in Zambia, a hippo, croc, puku and two bushbuck rams on a ten day hunt. Great area, lions roaring around camp every night, elephants breaking branches within earshot, sighted an honest 70 pounder. Lots of hippos and crocs. We saw leopard and lion during the day. Just a super area!

--------------------
"I do not believe there are many more impressive sights than a city man's first glimpse at a live maned lion loose on a plain in strange country."
-Robert Ruark

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: Who has hunted in Zambia? [Re: bwanamrm]
      #71887 - 19/02/07 04:58 AM

I am most attracted by Zambia on account of this is no ususal hunting ground.
SBT makes us drool at the ever present "capstickness" of the place.
On an other side I have read (don't remember which recent book)that some places (luangwa valley also) were overpopulated as infered MopaneMike.
Is it a real concern?
Should one be picky concerning areas?

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

SBT
.224 member

Reged: 03/01/03
Loc: Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Re: Who has hunted in Zambia? [Re: larcher]
      #72816 - 01/03/07 05:41 AM

The Luangwa is over populated. Here is one of its previous residents. [image][/image]

AzGuy
.333 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Prescott, Arizona, USA
Re: Who has hunted in Zambia? [Re: SBT]
      #72839 - 01/03/07 11:34 AM

How nice of you to "help" solve the over population problem. Congrats!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 88 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3379

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com