Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Rhino... In Texas?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
iwantadouble
.300 member

Reged: 06/06/05
Loc: Gallatin County, Montana
Rhino... In Texas?
      #47863 - 25/01/06 07:52 AM

In a telephone conversation with a family member in south Texas, the subject of African hunting came up, and then moved on to a subject that maybe a member here can shed some light on. I was told that some big game ranch down near the Rio Grande Valley area was selling rhino hunts, but other than them having rhino and hunts and the general location, nothing more specific. I'm certain the price will be stiff enough to choke a horse, but can anyone shed some light on this in the way of a name of the outfit selling the hunts and a general estimate on the price for a hunt?

--------------------
500 is a nice round number, either followed by "Nitro Express" or by "cubic inch displacement".

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Rhino... In Texas? [Re: iwantadouble]
      #47865 - 25/01/06 08:13 AM

I've not heard anything about that. As far as price, assuming they hunt Rhino there, I would guess it would be cheaper to fly to South Africa and back, in First Class, and hunt your Rhino over in RSA.

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
      #47866 - 25/01/06 08:14 AM

Somehow I am not surprised. Bet it will go more then 25K.

Personally I think the whole point of hunting African animals is the setting.....AFRICA!

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Rhino... In Texas? [Re: bulldog563]
      #47868 - 25/01/06 08:22 AM

I think it would be way above $25,000.

iwantadouble
.300 member

Re: Rhino... In Texas? [Re: bulldog563]
      #47869 - 25/01/06 08:23 AM

I agree with the hunt it in Africa line of thought, I just found it all to be beyond interesting that Texas is now offering hunts for them. To me Texas will always be a wild hog and javalina state, along with quail and dove. And of course whitetail, but I have no interest in those.

--------------------
500 is a nice round number, either followed by "Nitro Express" or by "cubic inch displacement".

bulldog563
.400 member

Re: Rhino... In Texas? [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #47873 - 25/01/06 08:33 AM

Probably right that it will be more then 25. It just doesn't make sense to me why anyone would want to hunt rhino in Texas when it basically costs the same as it would in Africa and you don't get any of the perks of being there. To each his own though I guess.

--------------------

Charles_Helm
.333 member

Reged: 09/11/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas
      #47875 - 25/01/06 08:40 AM

I doubt it very much. It would appear to be illegal:

No person may kill or attempt to injure a dangerous wild animal (African or Asiatic lion, tiger, leopard, cheetah, hyena, bear, elephant, wolf, or rhinoceros, or any subspecies or hybrid of these animals) that is held in captivity in this state or that is released from captivity in this state for the purpose of being killed, nor may any person conduct, promote, advertise, or assist in the hunting of a dangerous wild animal.

From Texas Parks & Wildlife website.

--------------------
Some pictures from Namibia

Some pictures from Zimbabwe

An Elephant Story

iwantadouble
.300 member

Re: Rhino... In Texas? [Re: Charles_Helm]
      #47880 - 25/01/06 08:52 AM

Interesting. I wonder if someone down there is just breeding rhino then, or if it was all one of those perpetuated Texas tall tales that got passed on and blown out of proportion. Next time I talk that direction, I'll ask further into the topic.

--------------------

Charles_Helm
.333 member

Reged: 09/11/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas
      #47881 - 25/01/06 09:09 AM

There were definitely some on a private ranch in the past, as I recall reading about the lengths they had to go through to contain them. I have no idea at present, other than in safari parks.

--------------------
Some pictures from Namibia

Some pictures from Zimbabwe

An Elephant Story

iwantadouble
.300 member

Re: Rhino... In Texas? [Re: Charles_Helm]
      #47884 - 25/01/06 09:19 AM

I wouldn't want to think about that headache from a rancher's point of view. Fences made out of 2.5 inch thick wall pipe probably wouldn't even stand a chance. I would assume that my uncle would know the difference between safari ranch and private, but maybe it was a safari ranch. Like I said, I'll investigate further the next time I talk to him.

--------------------

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #47885 - 25/01/06 09:23 AM

In reply to:

In a telephone conversation with a family member in south Texas, the subject of African hunting came up, and then moved on to a subject that maybe a member here can shed some light on. I was told that some big game ranch down near the Rio Grande Valley area was selling rhino hunts, but other than them having rhino and hunts and the general location, nothing more specific. I'm certain the price will be stiff enough to choke a horse, but can anyone shed some light on this in the way of a name of the outfit selling the hunts and a general estimate on the price for a hunt?

You better tell your friend in South Texas he's full of it! We do have Rhino, both white, and black, in Texas,but they are in places like Fossel rim wildlife park. They are here for breading in safety, so they can be saved for re-release into the wild in Africa, nothing more!

It is illegal to import any dangerous game into Texas, for the purpose of hunting! It is illegal to release any dangerous game, in Texas, for the purpose hunting them, even if they were born in Texas. Even Cougar, or black bear, that are native to Texas may not be released for the purpose of hunting. No dangerous game animal may be kept in captivity in Texas without a state permit, and may not be releasesd at all, but must be turned in to the state Game folks if you decide you don't want them.

The Exotic game in Texas has been liveing here for a couple hundred years, and has been here as a species for a long time. Most being brought here by the very large KING RANCH, back in the 1800s. The animals (NON-DANGEROUS GAME) may be trapped,in Texas, and sold to other ranches in Texas.

Most of the species like Black buck, sika deer, and fallow deer, have been here, free rangeing, for a long time. I'm 69 yrs old, and born on a Texas Hill country ranch. I can remember seeing fallow deer in our pastures when I was not more that four years old, and I suppose they had been here long before that. The highest fence we had on our place was a 5 strand barb-wire cattle fence. I never saw a HIGH FENCE till I was in my twenties. The high fences went in because the ranchers started manageing their deer herds for quality,by selective culling and, and the fence is to keep inferior game OUT, and so the population can be controlled to match the carring capacity of the habitate. Game on these rances are not tame, and are no more farm stock than the Big water Buffalo of North Australia! These animals are no more tame than wild Phesant, or Chucker Patridge, which are imports as well. The Russian boar was brought here by an English Noblemen in the Carolinas in the 1700s and escaped, slowly mixed with domestic stock to become what we have today! Some in Parts of Texas, and Arkinsas are amazingly pure Russian even today! With stripped off spring, just like they are in the Black Forest of Germany.

It is tireing to read the constant misinformation on the internet about game ranches. If one wants to know what is legal in Texas, in regard to exotics, all one needs do is punch up the Texas Parks and Wildlife dept'S website!

I can show you a few game rances, where if you hunt on foot behind a high fence in no more that 1000 acres, you will work for your trophy, if you are selective, just like any other hunting area! On some of these ranches an Elephant could avoid you for a week,not to mention a deer, if you hunt on foot!

It all boils down to, if you want to go to Texas to hunt exotics, go, if you want to got to Africa go there as well. Africa is cheaper anyway! As far as what someone above wrote, the he suspects the trophy fee on a Texas Rhino would likely be $25K, I think if it were legal, it would be a hell of a lot more expenceive than that. Hell the trophy fee for a white Rhino in Africa is over $35K+ another $15K for daily fees, and airfare. A black rhino is in the area of $1000,000.00 US today!

Just a little window to see the light !

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Rhino... In Texas? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #47925 - 25/01/06 03:24 PM

What if someone is allowing hunts with a dart tranquilizer gun? As happens in South Africa. Photos only?

Only speculating.

Personally that idea doesn't do anything for me, but for those it does ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
Re: Rhino... In Texas? [Re: NitroX]
      #47930 - 25/01/06 03:53 PM

Dart hunts on Rhino is most likely to be banned in RSA. According to a paper submited to minister Marthinus v Schalkwyk, darting Rhino should only be done for scientific reasons. I think the reason for this is that the same Rhino was darted over and over. My personal opinion is that it cannot be good for any living creature to be put under aneastetics and be waken up regularly. Drugs have never been good to living creatures

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

bulldog563
.400 member

Re: Rhino... In Texas? [Re: SAHUNT]
      #47947 - 25/01/06 06:59 PM

From what I understand the Rhino can only be darted when there is a need for medical attention. They don't just dart the same rhino multiple times a year for the hell of it.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2615

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com