Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Africa for 1st timers...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
blacks
.275 member

Reged: 17/03/11
Loc: South-East South Australia
Africa for 1st timers...
      #196864 - 16/12/11 06:23 AM

G'day all, I thought it would be interesting to start a thread for advice for first timers planning to hunt Africa. If those who have experienced hunting there could offer their advice it would be much appreciated! I am hoping to go in a couple of years so am just starting to compare prices, facilities and reputations of various outfits etc.

Now I've done a bit of research, looked at a fair few operators, areas etc...and have my species 'list' picked out. I am leaning towards the Limpopo area for my first trip, it just seems 'accessible' with no connecting flights etc required, and has all the species I want to hunt in the terrain I think I want to hunt, along with ample operators and reasonable prices. But, obviously it is mostly high-fenced preserves.
This is one of my biggest quandaries at the moment. Obviously here in Aus I will not hunt behind wire as I simply don't need to. However, on a big-dollar trip overseas, I want to take several representative animals in a restricted time frame, and I do not have the luxury of time, knowledge, nor the ability to learn habits, scout etc like I do at home....So to be honest I'm not sure how I feel about it...I think I would be fine hunting in the preserves there as long as it was honest, on foot, and worked for without 'boundaries' coming into play, which will generally come down to picking the right PH I guess. Still thinking on this point

How do you go about picking an area and operator? How many references do you get, or do you just rely on forums/mates/hunt reports? Do you choose by price, availablity of your chosen animals, hunting methods, all of the above?? Not trying to sound like a total numpty, just trying to guage why people have ended up on the hunt they ultimately chose...

Another thing is my wife will be coming with me, she is fine with hunting, goes spotlighting occasionally etc, and is very able to handle herself. She will likely tag along on a few hunts too as well as some R&R. So we'd obviously need a comfy base camp which allows her some comforts and things to do. Me I couldn't give a shit, I'll camp in a tent and eat the basics if the hunting's good! But then, since we are both going we want it to be a holiday as well to a degree...

So anyhow, all that and any other advice would be much appreciated, and hopefully this thread can turn into a useful resource. If any others in my boat want to add some questions please do.

(Oh, and FWIW I hope to hunt Kudu, Gemsbok, Impala, Warthog, and my wife said I must shoot a Zebra for the lounge room )

Cheers

blacks

--------------------
You won't shoot anything at home on the couch...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: Africa for 1st timers... [Re: blacks]
      #196876 - 16/12/11 07:46 AM

Hi Blacks.
Come to an SCI meeting and meet some fellow hunters and some outfitters yourself.

My first trip to Zimbabwe was a hunt I bought at auction at SCI and was a good deal.
Warthog,Impalla,Zebra,Kudu and Baboon (lol) all inclusive (day rate as well for 10 days) for about $4000 I think + air fairs.

I personally would not hunt behind wire as I don't think there is any need to just yet.

My last hunt on the Botswana border there was a graded road to separate the two countries and it was a whole new experience walking around with Elephant and Lions.

I know money is a big factor but beware the cheapest hunts.

I paid a lot more for my Buff hunt than I may have needed to but the animals were there and I didn't have to shoot the first one I saw.

Some days we saw 200 head of Buffalo.

I could have gone to the Omay for 2/3's the price but was told they only have a 50% success rate.

As to the camp. You will be that knocked up from the big days hunting,it will be 3 beers and bed !.

Hope this helps. It is only my view and my opinion.

Cheers Neale.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

blacks
.275 member

Re: Africa for 1st timers... [Re: FATBOY404]
      #196879 - 16/12/11 07:59 AM

Thanks Neale!

I should add, it is pretty much SAF for this trip, the wife is not keen on Zim or even Namibia despite what I tell her. Plus, I'm not keen on the extra transfers/connecting flights etc.

Wanting to hunt in SAF and close to Jo'Burg was why I raised the highwire quandary...

Cheers

blacks

--------------------

SafariHunt
.333 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: Pretoria RSA
      #196911 - 16/12/11 06:39 PM

Blacks there is a big difference between a big high wire area and a put and take high wire area. If hunting in a large high wire area of 5000 hectares all the game will have enough room and space to do what they do naturally and game like kudu, eland, waterbuck and the small stuff still gets in and out if they want too so its not a fixed boundary more a deterant.

The animals will naturally reproduce and do as they please like they would in a unfenced area and some years will go past before some new blood will be added.

The put and take area will buy a bunch of trophies at the beggining of the season and your male vs female ratio would be off that will be your first sign.

If you really want to hunt free range and low fence areas just make sure you hunt in the right timeframe when hunting on open land is allowed and have the neccesary paperwork sorted, permits before hand and so on.

--------------------
"Sleeping under the African sky I can see nothing wrong with this world!"

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Africa for 1st timers... [Re: SafariHunt]
      #196918 - 16/12/11 09:29 PM

Blacks, Mmmmmmm where to start.

I was going to use an analogy that buying a Hunt in Africa is akin to walking into a used car lot and buying a used car, but that would be unfair on used car salesmen.

I was also going to use an analogy of trying to get a fair deal from big business, but that would be too hard on corporate lawyers.

I'll make a few observations/statements in point form.

1) If I was planning my first hunting trip to Africa with what I know now, I would wait and save and then spend twice as much as I spent the first time and get three times the value. IMO no matter how hard you try the first time you will never get it quite right.

2) There is tremendous variety and value in cull or management hunts if you want to forgo trophy quality.

3) Never, ever pay the asking price.

4) Hunting/Shooting in managed fenced propertys with self sustaining populations is a lot harder than you may think. Anybody who says it isn't hard hasn't done it or has shot into cages. It's pretty easy to work out the natural range of your target species, multiply it a few times and then compare it to the size of the area you will hunt. There will always be some intervention. water points, supplementary feed blocks, anti-tick rubs, extra feeding during winter. The compromise will depend on what you are prepared to give up and then accept what is left.

5) If you hunt on foot and 'ethically' do not expect success. My two primary species of Kudu and Springbok were not taken on my first African hunt as we hunted in what qualifies ( for me ) as a fair chase environment. Ethical hunting does not guarantee success.

6) The Safari 'Industry' is just that, a business.

7) It is possible to hunt pockets of free range animals in South Africa and in fact any country if you look hard enough.

8) I love South Africa because of the added travel benefits. If you want wild Africa go to Zim or Moz or Zambia. I have been to Zim four times (once hunting) and visiting friends and you can still imagine you are scratching out a new life in the colonial Dark Continent. Zim has always been perfectly safe when I have been there and the locals are extremely helpful and friendly if you aren't racist or elitist. My wife and I had no hesitation taking my three children there in 2008 at it's economic worst and just after the elections.

9) The Limpopo area in Botswana or travelling to Namibia would be a good compromise but it takes longer to get there.

10) Jet lag will affect you when you land but you will want to get straight 'into it'. Allow 3-4 days to get over it all after the hunt before you head off sight seeing.

11) Vic Falls and Cape Town are 'musts' if you go South.

12) My dream hunt location would be the lowveldt areas as it 'looks' to me what Africa should look like.

13) You don't need a cannon to hunt Africa. Nothing is bullet proof.

tophet1
.400 member

Re: Africa for 1st timers... [Re: tophet1]
      #196919 - 16/12/11 09:31 PM

.... and coming back from Africa is like recovering from a broken heart, it will take about three years to get over it but you will never be the same.

blacks
.275 member

Re: Africa for 1st timers... [Re: tophet1]
      #196920 - 16/12/11 09:52 PM

John, great info thanks mate, very helpful. You too Fred!

Re the first point - "IMO no matter how hard you try the first time you will never get it quite right".
I figured that, just like building a house. That's why I thought 'just find somewhere reputable, dream up a list and go'. No better way to learn!

Re point 12 - I too like the look of the Lowveldt as it's just seems to me what Africa 'should' be like, and the thought of bashing through thorns all day isn't that appealing. What areas of SAF do you have in mind mate? I know the Eastern Cape or KZN seem like the go for low-fence hunts...

Re the final point - the trusty .30/06 will be going mate. Probably with some 165gn or 180gn Woodleighs, even though I'd reckon my standard old 150gn Remmy Corelokt handloads will do the job after seeing what they do to big red stags and sambar.

Cheers all and please keep the advice coming!

Regards

blacks

Edited by blacks (17/12/11 02:20 AM)

GroovyMike
.300 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: NY
      #196954 - 17/12/11 04:18 AM

Jim Hackiewicz (an American who is licensed as a PH in RSA) published "Africa the First time" its a small book but packed with the sort of info you need.

http://www.amazon.com/Africa-First-Time-James-Hackiewicz/dp/0741406160

He autographed a copy for me and I have swapped enough email with Jim to tell you that you can trust what he tells you.

--------------------
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

Edited by GroovyMike (17/12/11 04:19 AM)

blacks
.275 member

Re: Africa for 1st timers... [Re: GroovyMike]
      #196970 - 17/12/11 07:56 AM

Cheers Mike - I will grab that mate, looks like a good reference for someone in my shoes!

blacks

--------------------

messmate
.224 member

Reged: 27/07/10
Loc: Great Divide. Victoria. Austra...
      #196974 - 17/12/11 09:57 AM

Hi Blacks
Regardless where you go, your 1st trip to Africa will in many ways be the recce for your 2nd trip, and believe me you will go back.
I hunted Limpopo last year for many of the species you are after and had a very good trip. It is a good area for Kudu, Nyala, Gemsbok & Warties. It is all high fence hunting. You'll start to notice it as soon as you leave Jo'Burg. Don't get hung up about it , that's just the way SA is. The hunting can still be hard. The bush in Limpopo is thick and you travel big distances so spot & stalk is how it's done & you'll spend a lot of time in a vehicle just to cover the ground.

Determine what time of year you want to go. May -June you catch the rut but you'll beat the rush of hunters to a degree & might get better animals...the penalty this time of year is the bush is thicker having not dropped it's foliage. July thru October it thins out making for easier hunting but likely longer shots.

Be sure of what you want to hunt but add a couple of "maybe" animals in case an irresistable opportunity arises. . Also some outfitters will quote you for representative animals but if you knock something above average or in record book inches you'll pay extra for every inch. That's fine but be sure in your own mind that when that massive 58 inch Kudu steps out you might be looking at $27-$2800 instead of the $16 or $1700 quoted.(Shoot it...you can sell the car when you get home).

Whoever you contact over there, make it clear how you want to hunt. The ethics you hunt by in Oz may not be totally appropriate in SA.
Go for min 10 days hunting....you'll have a list of 6-7 animals so allow 1 animal a day (maybe) and 1-2 days where you get nothing.
Most operators offer excellent accomodation & will spoil you rotten.They are terrific people but do your home work & check references.
Your outfitter will likely be able to help organise other parts of your trip (say Vic Falls or Kruger). Don't be scared to ask... you might be surprised what they will do for you.

I'm waffling on but happy to send you a PM.

Cheers

Jon

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #196985 - 17/12/11 02:02 PM

Quote:

Cheers Mike - I will grab that mate, looks like a good reference for someone in my shoes!

blacks

I'd do an online search of reviews of that book first.

One of these books, I forget if it is was this one or not, did not get good reviews.

Also 57 pages for $15. Published in 2000. All the really useful stuff like what forms you need, legal requirements for South Africa etc would be out of date.

Get the up to date stuff on the net from the various forums.

JMO.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

tophet1
.400 member

Re: Africa for 1st timers... [Re: NitroX]
      #196991 - 17/12/11 02:28 PM

Also subscribe for 1-2 years to The Hunt Report on-line. You can check out hunt reports.

Being a business you should be able to claim it on tax

http://www.huntingreport.com/

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #196995 - 17/12/11 03:36 PM

+1 on NitroX's comments above.Read the hunt reports posted here. Their information is invaluable, and, up to date.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#197003 - 17/12/11 04:32 PM

Tim

Some comments. Will add more when I have a bit more time.

1. Don't limit yourself by specifying must be near Jo'burg. Lots of probably good places in that area to the North of Pretoria, but some very nice places elsewhere.

2. Some of the best hunts I have had were in a very different environment to the fenced places in South Africa. Not talking about difficulty of hunting as the over hunted fenced places, the game can be very wild and wary. But when they know there is ONE hartebeest on the place, it takes the fun out of it a bit.

3. Hunt game native to the area when possible. If there is a "unique" species to that area, consider hunting them. You might never hunt them again. Same as if the property has introduced species to the area, they will probably be more expensive.

4. When hunting, if you get a chance at a nice animal, consider taking it. Yes it hurts the wallet, but almost always we regret not taking it afterwards!

5. Speak to the outfitter and if possible to the PH on the telephone. Get a feel for them. You may find it different from emails.

6. Get references. Speak to the referees. Don't just rely on emails.

7. Get a safari contract. At the very least it should specify the things agreed upon in writing, eg hunting days and prices, whether travel days are included in the days, trophy prices, trophy handling fees, dip and packing and that sort of thing, observer fees. Any special requirements etc.

8. The Afton Guest House is a good place to stay in Jo'burg if needed. Louis takes care of his guests, though he is getting busy with a lot of bookings when I was there last.

9. I can recommend hunting in Zimbabwe and Namibia. I enjoyed them more than South Africa. If you head up to Victoria Falls you will be in Zim anyway.

10. Don't just hunt, visit some of the country as well. Never been to Kruger, but I will one day. The National Parks are good in allowing better game photography.

11. I'm sure the guys here on NE could name some outfitters for you to consider. They are free to name them if they wish.

I've hunted with Karl Stumpfe of Ndumo Safaris. I hunted with Karl in Namibia and can recommend him on that basis. I don't get anything from my recommendation. I believe he also hunts in Zim and South Africa.

12. Be aware there are always touts out there. People whom make recommendations for a commission. Also the instant safari experts whom go on one safari and are suddenly experts and booking agents extraordinaire. Money is the object. I remember checking a so called independent reference for one hunt, and later found out the "independent" referee did a lot of work and banking for the outfitter in the USA.

13. The outfitter should be consulted about what your wife would like to do. Game drives, visits to local markets or other places for souvenirs, craft places, historical sights. shopping, etc. Maybe even participate in some hunting. Also the camp may have a swimming pool and other features she might like. I've never got to use any of those things such as a pool even though they look damned inviting at times.

But check into these activities to see if they are wanted and if they can be accommodated.

14. One thing is to organise taxidermy or dip and packing in advance, plus freight quotations. An area I always seems to get burned on.

15. A safari is great fun and most outfitters work hard for the client. It is in the their interest of course to have satisfied clients. The first safari should be a special one.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#197004 - 17/12/11 04:38 PM

Quote:

Kudu, Gemsbok, Impala, Warthog, and my wife said I must shoot a Zebra for the lounge room

Yes Zebra is a must.

Others to think about include:

Blue wildebeest;
Black wildebeest;
Bushbuck - one of my favourites;
Duiker - various species;
Some of the other 'small guys' - depending on where you are - steenbok, klipspringer, and .... ;
Hartebeest;
Blesbok;
and of course Eland.

A .30-06 will handle them all, eland is a big animal however.

However many recommend heavier bullet weights and for good reason. I would use a minimum 180 gr bullet or a 200 gr bullet. Of suitable construction.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (17/12/11 08:45 PM)

blacks
.275 member

#197007 - 17/12/11 05:07 PM

Thanks for that great insight John. Much appreciated.

Re the species,

Eland do nothing for me, ditto for Wildebeest, Hartebeest, Blesbok. Just don't appeal as trophies, though that might change once you see them on the hoof!

However, the smaller guys I would definately take as an opportunity species - love those litle Klippies and Duikers! Same for Bushbuck!

Cheers all

blacks

--------------------

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #197032 - 17/12/11 11:59 PM

Quote:

Thanks for that great insight John. Much appreciated.

Re the species,

Eland do nothing for me, ditto for Wildebeest, Hartebeest, Blesbok. Just don't appeal as trophies, though that might change once you see them on the hoof!

However, the smaller guys I would definately take as an opportunity species - love those litle Klippies and Duikers! Same for Bushbuck!

Cheers all
blacks

I felt the same as you, and said the exact same thing about Eland, Wildebeest, Hartebeest, and Blesbok prior to my first Safari. Within 2 months of returning home from my hunt, I'd booked another Safari for all of the above mentioned critters. I wish I'd taken them on my first trip, as they are all a challenge to hunt, as well as being beautiful animals, and would have saved me the price of an airline ticket.

Maddog
.224 member

Reged: 15/06/05
      #197036 - 18/12/11 12:08 AM

Oh boy, do I remember planning my first safari.... Your list of species is good. However, don't discount the ones that you say do nothing for you. That may be true, until you get around them in the wild. I hunted the limpopo, in RSA, in 2008. My son, my best friend, and his son, were there, too. We had 10 full hunting days[I don't recomend any less days], and took 30 head of plains game between the four of us. We hunted with:

www.cruisersafaris.com/

They have excellent packages, and you can add other species, for the price of the trophy fees. Part of the fun is in the planning. Have a ball. It will be over before you know it, and you'll be home planning your next one. Ask me how I know

Maddog

blacks
.275 member

Re: Africa for 1st timers... [Re: Maddog]
      #197039 - 18/12/11 12:33 AM

Thanks guys, yeah I am not too worried about deviating from my core list - if I see something that impresses me I'm happy to shoot it! I just based my basic list on what I've 'always wanted on the wall'.

Maddog - Cruisers are on the shortlist thanks. They look to have some great packages and animals, and very good references; I'd just prefer to hunt low-fenced areas if I can, which may unfortunately preclude Limpopo. How big were Cruiser's areas, and was it one big one or several smaller ones? How tough was the hunting? (Would have to be spot n stalk for me, not blinds etc.) Also, did you get exclusive use of the camp or did you have to share with other groups?

Has anyone hunted on KMG Safaris low-fenced area?

Cheers in advance, soaking it all up and learning as I go!

Regards

blacks

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#197041 - 18/12/11 01:16 AM

Eland are one of the game animals one must actually hunt, rather than bump into and shoot by chance. The way I found them anyway.

An eland is also a bigger animal than a buffalo.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

blacks
.275 member

#197044 - 18/12/11 01:21 AM

Cheers John, yeah I knew they were big...since I'm only taking the .30/06 that's another reason they aren't 'on the list' at this stage. By all accounts a challenging hunt and wary animal for their size!!

Don't think I'd fit one into the trophy room currently, either!!

Cheers

blacks

--------------------

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
      #197045 - 18/12/11 01:26 AM

Greetings Blacks, and here's hoping that your trip to Africa is only the first of many.

It took me three times to Africa before I got it right, but rather than just tell you my opinions, I'll start by sharing some facts about my trips, starting with the first two to South Africa. I won't name any names, but I will swear that everything here is absolutely true.

1) On my first hunt for Buffalo, the "concession" turned out to be a high fenced farm with one resident herd of about 50 animals. The property was in the process of being subdivided to build homes, it was relatively small, and a second group of hunters arrived after three days, apparently because it had been planned that we would be gone by then. When I protested about the proximety of two groups of hunters and safety issues, the solution (which did not come easily) was that we would relocate, essentially to the property next door, where I was told that anything over 38 inches would now cost me an extra 1,000.00 an inch in trophy fee.

2) While hunting plains game, I have waited on at least three occasions while the best hours of the early morning are wasted while we sign and settle indemnity agreements with the landowners. (don't worry, you still pay full price for those days)

3) I have been locked out of properties (don't be fooled when they say "concession") and wasted the morning waiting for a key to arrive.

4) I have been locked in a property at the end of the day and unable to get out, sitting for some two hours while waiting for a key to arrive.

5) I have sat on the side of the road because the outfitters truck ran out of fuel.

6) I bought an auction for my second trip, and the paperwork said it included three animals. When we arrived in RSA the outfitter said that it was a mistake and the animals were not included.

7) On the same auction we were supposed to stay in the 5 star rated (Un-named) lodge, but when we arrived we stayed in a tent.

8) The african night sounds included the PH's drinking and carousing at the camp bar, and we had a drunk (accidentally) come into our tent one night.

9) we shot a wildebeest one afternoon high on a hill, and we cut it all the way to the throat because we wanted to make it as light as possible to carry it out and I wanted a flat skin rug. I helped unload it in the skinning shed that evening, and watched the tracker tag it with instructions. The next morning, it had been sliced in half for a shoulder mount. The outfitter refused to let me shoot another one, offering the solution to simply provide another skin at some future date.

10) On a neighboring property, I watched a truckload of Nyala that had been unloaded react as another truck full of alfalfa hay arrived. These animals were obviously so conditioned as to be nearly tame, and I have often wondered how many hunters sit at home admiring their South African trophies while blissfully ignorant of the fact the animal may have been pen-raised.

There's actually more, but I think I may have made my point.

Now, as for Zimbabwe,

1) In my opinion the duration of the journey adds to the trip. We flew to Joburg, stayed at Afton, then to Vic Falls, then chartered to one camp, then by boat another 10 miles up the lake. It's tiring and time consuming, but it's part of what makes it real.

2) The hunting concession, (and by definition this really was a hunting concession), was the Chete safari area. I can't tell you how big it is, but that it is measured in miles (orkilometers) and has no fence and is bordered by communal lands which have no fences. The lake and the rivers are infested with crocs and hippos. We saw leopards and elephants and buffalo and plains game and all of these animals were without a doubt truly wild.

3) The generator was shut off at ten, and the night sounds included a hippo that would come into camp. (search for hippo in camp on you-tube and you can see it yourself).

4) I shot my buffalo bull after 6 days. We helped pack it out to where we had helped cut the road in. We ate the liver for breakfast, had the fillets for dinner, and the rest went to camp staff and locals. We used the spleen and other parts as bait for Vundu fishing.

5) Every morning we were out before dawn, every night we were in after dark. We ate and drank well, hunted hard, slept like dead people, and I believe connected with what it really means to hunt, whether it's in Africa or anywhere else.

So I hope you go, and I hope you have a great time. I like my friends in South Africa, and I love the land and the parks and the wine and the scenery and the history, but I'll never spend a dime hunting there again. Be careful planning around limitations on time and budget (and we all have them). Also wherever you go, be very, VERY, specific with the outfitter, get everything in writing, and other than a reasonable deposit do not pay in advance.

And post pictures here for all of us to see.

Maddog
.224 member

#197046 - 18/12/11 01:29 AM

blacks, the largest area was about 35,000+ acres. The smallest probably 8,000 acres. If memory serves me, they had 6-7 properties totalling over 150,000 acres. This may have changed since 2008. The boys will hunt you any way you want, spot/stalk, blinds, etc. If you don't like high fences, you may not want to hunt the limpopo, or anywhere[for the most part], in RSA. I must say though that the fences didn't bother me one bit, and the stalks were challenging. I also watched kudu jump one of the "high fences". Since there were 4 of us, we had the whole camp to ourselves. However, I don't think they take more than 6 people max., at any one time. One nice thing for a first safari, you get to Joburg, you are taken to Afton house, overnite, and the boys from cruiser pick you up the next day for the 4 hr. run to camp. No connecting flights, or other fuss. They even deliver you back to the airport at the end of the trip. Here's some pics from the 08 trip.

opening morning impala

zebra

blue wildebeast

warthog[one of my favorite trophies]

blesbok

kudu

gemsbok

One more pic, of an animal my son shot, that I didn't[but now wish I had]

red cape hartebeast.

Maddog

Maddog
.224 member

#197048 - 18/12/11 01:39 AM

blacks, here is a link to the hunt report I posted back in 2008, over at AR.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6321043/m/304103498?r=304103498#304103498

Maddog

blacks
.275 member

#197053 - 18/12/11 01:59 AM

Interesting perspectives there guys, and in a way at different ends of the 'adventure' spectrum. While the true Wilderness type stuff appeals to me, it does not my wife, and given this, and being our first trip over was why I've decided on SA. At the end of the day, you are the one spnding the money and looking at the trophies, and recalling the hunts over in your head - so if you enjoyed it, that's all that really matters!

At the moment I am just weighing up what options will suit me best to see if my desires are actually realistic in SA - to hunt representative trophy animals free range from a base that will suit us as a holiday too.

Thanks again for the honest info and perspectives on things!

blacks

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8923

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com