Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Moz PAC elephants on buff hunt - Shakari

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Moz PAC elephants on buff hunt - Shakari
      #18992 - 06/09/04 03:21 AM

In reply to:

Mozambique: VERY tough hunting, especially if you go at the wrong time of year. The Buff here bolt at the slightest threat and when they run, you run. You'll probably do a fair bit of leopard crawling, but if you hunt hard and well, you'll probably still get your Buff. The upside is that you can currently hunt a "PAC" Elephant during the same hunt for US$4K. Politically it's now reasonably stable and the Government is working hard to attract more hunters. Camps here are a lot less comfortable than the previously mentioned countries.

Steve,

Elsewhere on the web you wrote the above quotation.

This interests me incredibly given available finances, plus I know someone else who might be interested.

Can you tell more, plus prices?

(when you get back from your current safari - email sent)

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NONE
.300 member

Reged: 15/12/03
Re: Moz PAC elephants on buff hunt - Shakari [Re: NitroX]
      #18993 - 06/09/04 03:50 AM

Hey Nitro Steve is in Botswana till the 18th so his response will be a bit.

It is a deal and I can assure you after my experiences with Steve and Susan on my hunt so far you could not be with a better bunch. I have never seen this level of professionalism and attention to detail not to mention knowing ones business so well in all my years as few as they may be . 20 days and counting for my trip I will be writing a full account both here and at AR upon my return.

James F. Nixon III

wombat
.300 member

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Australia
      #19024 - 06/09/04 05:21 PM

I would also like to know more about such a hunt.
Where can this bloke be reached?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Moz PAC elephants on buff hunt - Shakari [Re: wombat]
      #19027 - 06/09/04 06:13 PM

Wombat

He will be back about mid-September. At the moment he is guiding on safari in Tanzania.

Website is http://www.kuduland.com

--------------------
John aka NitroX

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
      #19318 - 19/09/04 08:30 PM

James,

Thank you for those kind words, we believe in offering good service as well as good hunting. Add on the fact that we love doing what we do and it adds up to a high quality product.......and Susan & I look forward to meeting and hunting with you soon.

John, Wombat and anyone else interested.

As I said in a previous post, Mozambique is tough hunting, but if you're prepared to walk and work for your trophies then you can be reasonably successful. The Buff hunting there is often especially challenging as they run at the drop a hat, and when they run, you run, and run and run

The area we use is 1.6 million hectares (yes that's right, 1.6 million hectares ) of mixed terrain. Roads and other infrastructure are minimal. Camp is fairly basic when compared to the luxury of Tanzania and other places we operate, but it is adequate and food is reasonably good. Hunting usually takes place by driving in 4x4 hunting trucks until you find spoor and then you walk on the tracks. If we need to get to the further reaches of the concession we usually flycamp for a few days.

The area is at it's best for Elephant, Hippo & Croc and the largest taken this year are Elephant 75lbs per side, Hippo 30 inch tusks and a 4.9 metre Croc. The area also has excellent populations of Roan which so far haven't been hunted, but the concession leasee has applied for (and expects to get) a quota of 10 for the 2005 season.

We will be changing the way we operate there a little for the 2005 season and are trying to simplify things for the hunter, basically, we don't want to offer "packages" any more but instead prefer to offer a simple daily rate and trophy fees, but I'll talk about that more once it's finalised.

2004 prices are 1x1 at US$850 per hunter per day and US$650 per hunter per day, both plus trophy fees (which include the hunting licence fee) which for the mentioned species are PAC Elephant US$4000, Hippo US$3000 & Croc US$1750.......and I don't expect 2005 prices to increase by much. The hunt begins and ends at Tete Airport.

The reason that the Elephants are sold as PAC animals is that Mozambique failed to apply for a downgrading of Elepant staus from CITES schedule 1 to schedule 2 when they should have done. Hence the other signatories to CITES cannot issue an import licence for what is currently listed as a schedule 1 animal. This means that the hunter is only allowed to take photographs and cannot keep the trophies.

I apologise for the delay in posting a reply, but we've been away in Botswana, where amongst other things we took a great 30 inch waterbuck. We also tried for a caracal, but every time we put a bait out it got nailed by the Leopards before the caracals got to it!......and we didn't have a Leopard licence!, (but we do have 2 available for 2005 ) and since I got back I've we've been playing catch up with the business.

If anyone would like to have the full details of our Mozambique (or other hunts ) please send me an e-mail and I'll be happy to send it onto you....... plug, plug

Another option for an inexpensive Elephant option for next year might be Tuli Block Botswana, but this will only happen if the Game Department there agree to change the regulations as they have been asked to do.....at the moment this looks likely to happen. Currently, the Landowner is bound by law to shoot any Elephants that come onto his property, but he is not allowed to let anyone else do so. If the GD allow the change, the landowner will be able to sell that right to an overseas hunter. costs are being discussed and I'll post more when I hear something definite.

Cheers for now,

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (20/09/04 03:45 AM)

shakari
.400 member

Re: Moz PAC elephants on buff hunt - Shakari [Re: shakari]
      #19403 - 24/09/04 03:30 AM

Further to this, I'm still negotiating exact prices, but I don't expect any dramatic increases for next year.

We're going to be offering a simple daily rate which will include everything except tips, trophy fees and bar bills.

Minimum hunting time will be 7 days and now I've re-negotiated, it's now possible to hunt more than one Elephant (or most other species) on a 7 day hunt. The area has plenty of Elephant and it should be reasonably easy for the average hunter to take more that one Elephant in 7 days hunting. We still have a few vacancies for this year for any brave souls who don't mind the heat.

An example of costs (for 2004) is a 7 day - 1x1 hunt taking 2 Elephant Bulls (I don't usually believe in taking seperate cows as it upsets the herd dynamics too much) costs a total of US$13950. If you want a 7 day 1x1 hunt & 1 elephant Bull it will cost US$9950 ........ not cheap, but a whole lot less than most Elephant hunts.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (24/09/04 04:25 AM)

shakari
.400 member

#19900 - 21/10/04 09:28 AM

Going back to this, I just thought I'd add that I've now arranged things so that it's possible to do this entire hunt from a travelling camp...........so it's as close to the old East African travelling hunts as we can get without using porters to carry everything on their heads.

This option may not be for everyone, but it will appeal to some more adventurous souls.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (21/10/04 09:29 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#19953 - 23/10/04 01:37 PM

Steve

Thanks for the replies. I knew you were away when I posted the original, and your reply came when I was away. I tried to look at most posts when I returned but don't always see all of them.

Will look at what you wrote and get back to you.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 266 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2021

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com