Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: PH & appy badly mauled in Tanzania.- Your help needed.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
PH & appy badly mauled in Tanzania.- Your help needed.
      #163976 - 13/07/10 07:20 PM

Fellow Hunters, as you may have hear, PH John Greeff as well as his stepson Dustin were seriously injured in a leopard mauling in Tanzania recently. In an effort to support the family The Boddington Fund in conjunction with something More Safaris are conducting a fundraising drive.

It is important to give a brief explanation of the incident and John's injuries in order to understand the impact this has on the family. On July 6th John was the PH on a Safari in Tanzania and had to sort out a wounded leopard. In the follow up the leopard made his stand in some tall grass and unexpectedly attacked the group singling out Dustin, Johns stepson . Even though mortally wounded by this time the Leopard attacked Dustin and John Greeff physically grappled it from Dustin. The leopard then proceeded to bite John around the head and neck creating severe injuries to his optic nerve, facial nerves, and breaking his jaw. There is a likelihood that John will lose the use of his eye and will require extensive facial plastic and nerve reconstruction as well as simply healing. Not only does this result in tremendous physical pain and discomfort but it puts quite a financial burden on the family. In spite of insurance coverage, the family both deserves and needs our support. The Greeff family has a long history in the Safari industry, has been a staunch supporter of Zimbabwe Professional Hunters, and has three family members making their livelihood from the Safari hunting industry. Simply stated, they really need our help. Whatever you can do to support them is greatly appreciated no matter how large or small.

We are hopeful that all hunters will support our efforts and the Greeff family. It is highly unfortunate that two members of the same hunting family have been injured and your support is appreciated. All funding will be managed through "Something More Safaris" which is an organization designed to "give something back" in the hunting industry. A component of Something More Safaris is the Boddingon Fund established to provide need to anyone injured in the line of duty regardless of their role in the hunting industry.

As part of this fundraising, you are now able to make donations direct to the Boddington Fund where all monies are paid to the Greef family and/or you can take part in a limited sales raffle (150 tickets at US$100 each) with first prize of Butch Searcy custom double rifle and second prize of an Eastern Colorado Mule Deer Hunt to be taken in 2010 or 2011 as a second prize. If you're a US citizen all donations are tax deductable.

Full details here: snipped - see my post below.

Make your donation direct to the Boddington Fund/Greef family appeal here: http://somethingmoresafaris.com/donate.php

I'll do my best to keep you all updated as things progress and we'll also be publishing news updates etc on our own website.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by NitroX (14/07/10 01:58 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: PH & appy badly mauled in Tanzania.- Your help needed. [Re: shakari]
      #163978 - 13/07/10 08:00 PM

Done.

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: PH & appy badly mauled in Tanzania.- Your help needed. [Re: Ben]
      #163989 - 13/07/10 10:48 PM

Hi Steve,

Sorry to be a kill joy but I followed the link and it goes to the somethingmoresafaris but no mention of the Greef family appeal?? also, I did let the NitroExpress Forum members know the details of John's troubles and I think the members would like to be kept up to date on his/their progress.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

shakari
.400 member

Re: PH & appy badly mauled in Tanzania.- Your help needed. [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #163992 - 13/07/10 11:42 PM

Jeff,

The link to which you're referring to is the something else safaris and you can donate by clicking the DONATE icon at the top right of the page.

The donations go direct to the Boddington Fund/Greeff appeal and 100% of the donation goes to the family.

The other (first) link in my post tells you the whole story of how it happened.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

RLI
.375 member

Reged: 01/10/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #164021 - 14/07/10 06:29 AM

Donation sent, I just typed in "Boddington Fund/Greef family appeal " in the message box.

cheers
Steve

--------------------
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." — John Wayne

shakari
.400 member

Re: PH & appy badly mauled in Tanzania.- Your help needed. [Re: RLI]
      #164024 - 14/07/10 06:49 AM

Thanks Steve!

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #164053 - 14/07/10 01:57 PM

Quote:

Jeff,

The link to which you're referring to is the something else safaris and you can donate by clicking the DONATE icon at the top right of the page.

The donations go direct to the Boddington Fund/Greeff appeal and 100% of the donation goes to the family.

The other (first) link in my post tells you the whole story of how it happened.

Even better I have actually brought the information to this forum.

(copied from the other forum)

Fellow Hunters, as you may have heard one of our long time friends and PH John Greeff as well as his stepson Dustin were seriously injured in a leopard mauling in Tanzania recently. In an effort to support the family we have created two methods of fundraising. We are hopeful that all hunters will support our efforts and the Greeff family. It is highly unfortunate that two members of the same hunting family have been injured and your support is appreciated. All funding will be managed through "Something More Safaris" which is an organization designed to "give something back" in the hunting industry. A component of Something More Safaris is the Boddingon Fund established to provide need to anyone regardless of their role in the industry.

Simply stated, the Boddingon fund has as the sole purpose of which is to provide assistance to hunting professionals who are injured “in the line of duty.” Each fund is required to be managed in and of itself so 100% of contributions for the John Greeff fund will go to the Greeff family. In effect we are starting at zero but the great people at "Something More Safaris" have established the fund as a 501.c.3 charitable contribution fund so all contributions are tax deductible if you live in the US.

We will have two elements of the John Greeff fundraising effort .

The first will be a raffle with first prize a Butch Searcy custom double rifle. This rifle will be Butch's Field grade and can be built in either 450/400, 450NE, 470NE, or 500NE. The rifle will be stocked to fit the lucky winner to their dimensions. This rifle has a value for $12,000 so the lucky winner can arrange with Butch to build their rifle and discuss and particular requirements. Approximate time from order to completion is 6 months.

As a special bonus Aaron Neilson of Global Hunting Resources has offered an Eastern Colorado Mule Deer Hunt to be taken in 2010 or 2011 as a second prize. It will depend on your schedule if you can get in for 2010 or not but Aaron guarantees the tag for 2011 if this year is not possible. We will draw two tickets, the first being the winner of the Searcy Field Grade Double Rifle and the second ticket winning the Mule Deer Hunt from Global Hunting Resources. This raffle will consist of 150 tickets with a price of $100 each. We are hopeful to manage the raffle through Something More Safaris and will know more details early next week. Also, we will clearly define how to get your raffle tickets.

The second effort will be an open donation opportunity to the "John Greeff relief fund" that will continue well beyond the raffle. Any contributions are tax deductible as this is a 503.c.3 fund and the sky is the limit on what you may donate. 100% of all donations will go to the Greeff family.We will distribute the funds on a monthly basis.

Here is website for links to "Something More Safaris" http://somethingmoresafaris.com/boddington.php More directions to follow based on a special tab for the John Greeff Relief Fund as well as if we use "Something More Safaris" to manage our raffle through
and to Butch Searcy at http://www.searcyent.com/

and to Global Hunting Resources http://www.globalhuntingresources.com/deer.htm ; for information on the mule deer hunt.

EASTERN COLORADO TROPHY DEER HUNT:
6-Day (1on1 guided) Archery Deer hunt in eastern Colorado. The license will be valid for either Mule Deer or Whitetail with multiple dates available to choose from, throughout November & December. The winner will be able to choose from a hunt in either 2010 or 2011 based on available dates and schedules for both parties, but the hunt is GUARANTEED to take place. Hunt value is $5,000.00. Winner will be required to pay for non-resident hunting license of $334.00, but the necessary Landowner voucher will be provided at no additional charge. Winner will also be able to use the $5,000.00 value towards up-grading to a muzzleloader or rifle hunt if available, and based on license availability/draw as well. The winner of this hunt will have a reasonable chance of shooting a 170" - 200" mule deer, or a 150" - 180" whitetail. In 2009 this hunt produced 12 muleys over 180" B&C, and 9 whitetails over 160" B&C. Please see the link below for additional info and photos from 2009 hunts.http://www.globalhuntingresources.com/deer.htm

It is important to give a brief explanation of the incident and John's injuries in order to understand the impact this has on the family. On July 6th John was the PH on a Safari in Tanzania and had to sort out a wounded a leopard. In the follow up the leopard made his stand in some tall grass and unexpectedly attacked the group singling out Dustin, Johns stepson . Even though mortally wounded by this time the Leopard attacked Dustin and John Greeff physically grappled it from Dustin. The leopard then proceeded to bite John around the head and neck creating severe injuries to his optic nerve, facial nerves, and breaking his jaw. There is a likelihood that John will lose the use of his eye and will require extensive facial plastic and nerve reconstruction as well as simply healing. Not only does this result in tremendous physical pain and discomfort but it puts quite a financial burden on the family. In spite of insurance coverage, the family both deserves and needs our support. The Greeff family has a long history in the Safari industry, has been a staunch supporter of Zimbabwe Professional Hunters, and has three family members making their livelihood from the Safari hunting industry. Simply stated, they really need our help. Whatever you can do to support them is greatly appreciated no matter how large or small.

I would like to thank you on behalf of the family for your support.

Also, a special thanks to Butch Searcy, Craig Boddington, Aaron Neilson, Dave Dunn, Steve Robinson, and of course Saeed. There has been lots of support from all of these guys in logistics, etc.

Last comment as to the raffle is that needs a few days to refine. Many of you that I know hopefully can take some batches of tickets and sell them to your friends. I will send to you in 10's, 20's, however you wish and then you can send me consolidated checks, etc. This will help get these sold quick as well as draw the winners. Please PM me for now with how many you would like. Unfortunately, I am in Zurich until Thursday so no mailing will go out until then.

Keep watching for more posts on this topic as it will continue to expand. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Regards,

Larry

Craig Boddington's comment:

Guys, Larry Burgin (BigBBear) jumped through some incredible hoops getting this organized for his friend and PH John Greeff...he was in the middle of leaving the country on business, and got it done anyway. Can't tell you how impressed I am by the effort he put in making this happen. As you know, this was (another) terrible incident with really bad injuries, and this family can use all the help they can get. After our own disaster last year, it seemed fairly obvious that some kind of permanent situation was needed to provide assistance when (unfortunately, not "if") things like this happen. Brittany and I worked with Something More Safaris to create the "Boddington Fund" with the sole purpose of providing relief to safari industry workers (any job/status) who are injured in the line of duty. Something More Safaris is a 501.c.3 charitable foundation, and this is just one of the cool things they do for hunters and for local people. All contributions are fully tax deductible, and contributions marked for John Greeff will go directly to him and his family. Really appreciate all of your help on this!
Regards, Craig

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (14/07/10 02:00 PM)

shakari
.400 member

Re: PH & appy badly mauled in Tanzania.- Your help needed. [Re: NitroX]
      #164076 - 14/07/10 04:15 PM

Thanks John.

I didn't know if I was allowed to do that and didn't want to take the piss...... you're a gent!

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

shakari
.400 member

#164660 - 21/07/10 04:33 AM

Latest update from Larry for you:

Update on John. Actually spoke to him tonight (afternoon for him) and suprisingly he sounded very normal considering broken jaw, etc. Very encouraging to me when you think of what he has been through. I think maybe in a couple of weeks we will have him on here and he can tell his story. It is pretty much the way you know it but there is nothing like from the Horses mouth. You might find it interesting to know that he has no real criticism for events that happened, other PH's actions, medivac that Raul arranged was phenominal. This was one of those stuff happens kind of events.

He had a bit of an infection today when they were beginning a surgery so had to delay the rest of it until the infection cleared up. Several times he specifically asked to thank all of you for your support and mentioned many of you by name and memories as well as the many new friends that he has on AR. I think Marc is quite right in that John is one of those unassuming type of guys that has earned huge respect from his peer group as well as clients. The quiet type that gets it done!

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5846

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com