Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Out of Africa Investigation hits Home.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Out of Africa Investigation hits Home.
      #15480 - 03/06/04 03:26 PM

The investigation into illegal currency transactions hit home to me tonight. We were having dinner with friends when my buddy told me he was met at the door of his house this afternoon by an investigator for the US Dept. of Interior.

He was given a subpoena that ordered he produce all documents, contract, cancelled checks and his butt within 7 days upon notification of time and place.

He was not told the reason for any of this but was told that his animals, if they ever arrive in this country, will be seized. He was in Zim in October and hasn't seen any evidence that he will ever recieve his trophies.

He booked the Hunt, 21 days, at the SCI Convention in 2003. Total cost was $32,000.00.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Out of Africa Investigation hits Home. [Re: mickey]
      #15485 - 03/06/04 09:13 PM

Man, that sucks big time. Hope your pal gets out of this with his skin intact. You know when the Feds get a hair up their asses, they won't stop until a pound of flesh or two is taken. After all, they have the resources that the average guy just doesn't have at his disposal.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

Will
.333 member

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Kansas
      #15488 - 03/06/04 11:20 PM

I realize that this could be a real pain for your friend, but do not see how he could be implicated.

If I buy a car at some dealer who is selling stolen cars, I do not see how I am guilty of a crime unless I was aware of it.

I wish your friend the best.

--------------------

Once you have been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Out of Africa Investigation hits Home. [Re: Will]
      #15490 - 03/06/04 11:54 PM

Will

Neither he nor his Attorney are sure what he may have done either. His Attorney thinks it may just be a gathering of evidence in regards to OoA. It is, however, pretty inconvienent. To be 'On Call' by the government for any reason is not a calming experience.

He has a couple of trips coming up this Summer and is concerned he may have to forego them or get permission to go. As this just happened yesterday afternoon his Attorney has many questions to ask yet.

Sadly, he asked some of the SCI Officials and Employees about problems in Zim and particularly with OoA before he booked and again before he left and was told they were upstanding and reliable and they had never had any bad reports about them.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

GeorgeS
.275 member

Reged: 30/01/03
Loc: Metro NYC
Re: Out of Africa Investigation hits Home. [Re: Will]
      #15491 - 04/06/04 12:23 AM

Will,
It doesn't matter if he was an unwitting player; if they can show OoA was working with either illegitimate or proscribed parties, his trophies could be seized.

To extend your analogy further, no, you won't be prosecuted for buying a stolen car from that dealer, but the car will be seized and you will have to obtain relief from the car dealer (somehow).

Mick,
If your friend was unaware of illegitimate hunting operations, I think he will be 'off the hook' criminally, but still may lose his trophies (I suggest he NOT have them shipped just yet). If OoA was working with proscribed parties, he will probably NOT be 'off the hook' (because it will be the government's position that it was up to him to ensure that he was not dealing with such parties).

Wish him luck.

George

--------------------

"Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #15493 - 04/06/04 12:53 AM

That's some bad luck. If you turn up at an SCI auction you'd hope you would be at least dealing with honest parties (ie regarding the alledged issues with OoA).

You have to wonder sometimes who the "other" partners and silent partners might be with the outfitters you might be dealing with. It isn't always apparent.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
      #15497 - 04/06/04 02:25 AM

Mick

what if he sent his trophys into Canada, and then "bought" them? Could this be a loophole? Sorry to hear about Big Brother pushing his weight around. Good luck to your friend.

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 98 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1530

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com