Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What animal gave you the most personal satisfaction?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
What animal gave you the most personal satisfaction?
      #145442 - 09/11/09 03:40 AM

Memories of hunts are forever embedded in our minds. Of the animals you've taken on Safari, which one gave you the most personal satisfaction, and why?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Re: What animal gave you the most personal satisfaction? [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #145451 - 09/11/09 05:07 AM

Cape Buffalo
... at six yards!

DGR375
.300 member

Reged: 04/10/07
Loc: Gold Coast, QLD
Re: What animal gave you the most personal satisfaction? [Re: poprivit]
      #145478 - 09/11/09 04:13 PM

Now....if I was a New Zealander, I'd have to say....SHEEP!!!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: What animal gave you the most personal satisfaction? [Re: DGR375]
      #145482 - 09/11/09 05:36 PM

Cow elephant. Because they were exciting hunts, before and AFTER the shot(s). Nothing like the herd coming down on the hunting party, the trumpeting, the branches breaking, the trees falling down, dust flying high up in the air .... and the double loaded and raised if they came through through to us as we backed away. Addictive.

Also cape buffalo. Being only a few metres away from five duggaboys with them unaware of us being there.

Have not hunted any cats.

I like hunting kudu and bushbuck too. One of my best memories are three great kudu bulls walking right past behind us in an open vlei as we hunted a herd of buffalo. The largest probably went 57 inches, but it was lovely to watch them go past us walking along.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: What animal gave you the most personal satisfaction? [Re: NitroX]
      #145484 - 09/11/09 05:46 PM

Satisfaction in the Kill?

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: What animal gave you the most personal satisfaction? [Re: ozhunter]
      #145487 - 09/11/09 08:27 PM

Nothing spectacular here for me. Considering their density in southern Africa this animal was starting to be a bit of a Jonah for me. He wasn't hard to take even on foot, but it was a clean kill and will probably be the only Gazelle I ever take.

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Re: What animal gave you the most personal satisfaction? [Re: tophet1]
      #145497 - 10/11/09 12:23 AM

No doubt for me so far - might change very soon tho (going back to Doma at the end of this month to try and straighten some things up) - not an African game but just a thought about controversy of the matter...

This chamois was the most complete and satisfactory thing happened to me:

...and the story:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=89802&an=0&page=1#Post89802

Since then I have hard time finding an excuse to go and look for another chamois - it is almost impossible to imagine to top it...something just died in me during the process...quite destructive - searching for a holy grail and touch it huh?

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: What animal gave you the most personal satisfaction? [Re: 93mouse]
      #145505 - 10/11/09 01:45 AM

Not sure about personal satisfaction..but would have to say, personally agree with the above--cow ele hunt was one of the most intense and exciting ...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
      #145506 - 10/11/09 01:45 AM

On African safari it was the Eland which i chased for miles and miles and finally got it as it was crossing a river.Other than that it was the Marco Polo sheep which is a rarity as far as hunting is concerned.The planning ,hard work finaally paid of and i got it above the snow line.

Schauckis
.300 member

Reged: 17/07/07
Loc: Finland
Re: What animal gave you the most personal satisfaction? [Re: iqbal]
      #145531 - 10/11/09 07:06 AM

Either Blue Wildebeest or Giraffe - I think I vote the Wildebeest.

Both were taken on my recent (first) safari trip to Zimbabwe's Kwe-Kwe area.
The Wildebeest I have never been the least bit interested in, but upon seeing them I immediately wanted to take one. As they were still on quota, we started to hunt them. And a challenging hunt it was! Zebra sometimes you catch with their pants down, and Eland was not easy to approach, either; but the Wildebeest... Once we got real close, we were but 22 meters from them as they lay chewing the cud. But the PH was not able to tell which one is the bull, so we waited - for an hour and ten minutes we waited, half sitting, half lying on the kopje. Finally, we gave up on them deciding to come back in the afternoon.
We backed off, walked maybe 50 meters and the PH and tracker had a discussion in Shona and then the PH started to take off his "tool"belt. I was a standing question mark when the PH informed me: "I CANNOT - we HAVE to go back and have a try!" By then, I should have known the dude.... So off we went - crawling once again which seemed to be the PH's preferred method of covering distance on the Zimbabwean savanna. We approached very carefully, very close - and then they got our scent and flew off! Dang!
The following day (or was it the same; I cannot recollect anymore!) we found the herd again, and made an equally careful approach. Now, this herd had fooled us twice already so we were starting to get pretty adamant to get one. We again got behind a small kopje, and the PH glassed the animals making sure the closest one was the bull. There was no use of the sticks, so he turned to me to ask if I was comfortable shooting sitting or kneeling. Sure I was, having practiced all summer for this kind of situation. So he gave me the coordinates, I sneaked to the side of the kopje and noticed the animals lying down. Knowing that an animal lying down is difficult to shoot, i.e. it's difficult to place the shot correctly I asked if he is sure I should shoot. "Shoot, shoot!" he goes. And then the animal gets up. We were bloody sure he'd fly off, but he only took but a few steps and then looked at us. "Shoot, shoot!" go the PH and tracker. "No shot", I said as there was a tree lined up precisely along his leg. "Shoot, shoot!" they went so I decided to shoot a bit back. The PH was already sure I wouldn't fire, so he took his fingers out his ears and started to back off when I fired. The bull jumped and took off like a bolt of lightning. The shrub kept me of shooting again, and as the PH and tracker were next to me on my left in which direction the bull ran I decided safety first, we can track him.
Knowing the bullet-proof reputation of the Wildebeest and me shooting a .30-06 I was pretty frightened as we run after him. We came to a small clearing but didn't see the bull. At this point the PH chambered a round in his .416 and I thought "Uh-oh!". It's never good news when your PH decides to load up....
He asked me where I thought I hit him, and we started to track. Well, sorry to disappoint you with an anticlimax, but we found him lying dead under a tree perhaps 50 meters away. The shot perforated both lungs and was, indeed, well placed.
We just found him at last light which made me doubly happy: a very long hunt after the animals, a well placed shot in all the excitement, and not having to track a wounded wildebeest in dark!

Of course my first moose brought me extreme satisfaction, as did my latest as I shot her with a customized Winchester rifle that has been built specifically for me in accordance with my own ideas as can be seen here. But they don't really count, do they, as this was a question of safari animals!

- Lars/Finland

--------------------
A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Edited by Schauckis (10/11/09 07:07 AM)

butchloc
.300 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: faribault mn
Re: What animal gave you the most personal satisfaction? [Re: Schauckis]
      #145617 - 11/11/09 09:06 AM

interesting question - this is different, but i believe it was an old puku. i know they're not to bright eetc. but this particular old guy didn't know that, & he outsmarted us for several days before we finally ended the case. otherwise it would be a big old leopard after 54 days of hunting them

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: What animal gave you the most personal satisfaction? [Re: butchloc]
      #145620 - 11/11/09 09:51 AM

: What animal gave you the most personal satisfaction?

This one!

This is my Dad. Dad is 82 years old.

Because of life and career, I haven't been hunting with my Dad in over 45 years.

Dad hasn't been deer hunting in 20 years. Mom's health was bad and Dad didn't like to leave her alone much. Mom is no longer with us.

Dad lives in Oregon, I live 900 miles away in Montana.

Dad drew a Montana whitetail doe tag this year. Dad drove all the way up here by himself. Fouth day of season I found this doe for him.

This was Dads first hunting season with a scoped rifle.

When Dad left to go back to Oregon he gave me a big hug and said, "thanks Kid! (at 62 being called kid feels good.) As Dad started to get in his car to leave, he stopped and turned to me and said "Send me the regulations for next year." "Yessir!"

--------------------
DD, Ret.

controlled_feed
.300 member

Reged: 23/05/08
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: What animal gave you the most personal satisfaction? [Re: DoubleD]
      #145624 - 11/11/09 11:43 AM

Quote:

: What animal gave you the most personal satisfaction?

This one!

This is my Dad. Dad is 82 years old.

Because of life and career, I haven't been hunting with my Dad in over 45 years.

Dad hasn't been deer hunting in 20 years. Mom's health was bad and Dad didn't like to leave her alone much. Mom is no longer with us.

Dad lives in Oregon, I live 900 miles away in Montana.

Dad drew a Montana whitetail doe tag this year. Dad drove all the way up here by himself. Fouth day of season I found this doe for him.

This was Dads first hunting season with a scoped rifle.

When Dad left to go back to Oregon he gave me a big hug and said, "thanks Kid! (at 62 being called kid feels good.) As Dad started to get in his car to leave, he stopped and turned to me and said "Send me the regulations for next year." "Yessir!"

Seeing things like this is what does it for me. I wish the anti's could experience the feelings that DoubleD would have had on that day.

Personally, probably my very first deer, a 10 point Red Stag in SE Queensland. My brother and our mate helped me and I can still remember how steep the carry out was every time I look at the mount.

CF

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: What animal gave you the most personal satisfaction? [Re: 93mouse]
      #145646 - 11/11/09 08:08 PM

Quote:

This chamois was the most complete and satisfactory thing happened to me:

...and the story:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=89802&an=0&page=1#Post89802

Chamois, one of the pinnacles of European trophies.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #145669 - 11/11/09 10:54 PM

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: What animal gave you the most personal satisfaction? [Re: EricD]
      #145678 - 12/11/09 12:54 AM

Looks like the recent trip was a success.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

MKresinske
.275 member

Reged: 23/02/08
Loc: NY, USA
Re: What animal gave you the most personal satisfaction? [Re: NitroX]
      #146251 - 20/11/09 12:32 AM

This is no bull, but the last animal I shoot is the most memorable. I am so thankfull to be able to hunt !

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: What animal gave you the most personal satisfaction? [Re: MKresinske]
      #146253 - 20/11/09 12:58 AM

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: What animal gave you the most personal satisfaction? [Re: DoubleD]
      #146254 - 20/11/09 01:09 AM

Quote:

: When Dad left to go back to Oregon he gave me a big hug and said, "thanks Kid! (at 62 being called kid feels good.) As Dad started to get in his car to leave, he stopped and turned to me and said "Send me the regulations for next year." "Yessir!"

Agree with the other post...this, in a very large part, is what hunting is about..sharing and spending time with family, friends, etc...

Would be willing to bet, Double D would not be happier if he had shot a record book buck--its the hunt and experience that makes it all worth it..

Congrats Double D...great job...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #146256 - 20/11/09 01:23 AM

I guess it would have to be the record book black rhinocerous, or maybe that first elephant, no wait, maybe the buffalo I shot four times as it ran past me, or the kudu which paused just long enough for me to shoot it off hand at 100 yards....

I give up. They were all great.

http://www.frappr.com/?a=myphotos&id=3823381

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: What animal gave you the most personal satisfaction? [Re: xausa]
      #146260 - 20/11/09 01:50 AM

She was a nurse, I was 20, she was 26, I'll never forget it ! best, Mike

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: What animal gave you the most personal satisfaction? [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #146263 - 20/11/09 02:03 AM

Quote:

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

crkennedy1
.375 member

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: Utah
Re: What animal gave you the most personal satisfaction? [Re: 450_366]
      #146272 - 20/11/09 04:55 AM

I'd say my Greater Kudu. Kind of like hunting Africa's version of the Rocky Mountain Elk. Regal in every way.

--------------------
DOUBLE or NOTHING

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: What animal gave you the most personal satisfaction? [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #146284 - 20/11/09 09:34 AM

Quote:

Clearly it is something about the English Mike

She was a 32 year old computer consultant ..I was a 19 year old boy....Oh the memories

Carol if you are reading this I never did forget you.

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: What animal gave you the most personal satisfaction? [Re: Ripp]
      #146295 - 20/11/09 02:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

: When Dad left to go back to Oregon he gave me a big hug and said, "thanks Kid! (at 62 being called kid feels good.) As Dad started to get in his car to leave, he stopped and turned to me and said "Send me the regulations for next year." "Yessir!"

Agree with the other post...this, in a very large part, is what hunting is about..sharing and spending time with family, friends, etc...

Would be willing to bet, Double D would not be happier if he had shot a record book buck--its the hunt and experience that makes it all worth it..

Congrats Double D...great job...

Ripp

Actually Ripp, you don't know how close you are.

We only have a three week season in this part of Montana.

For me the first week is trophy season.

Second week is antler season.

Third week is kill anything that will put meat in the freezer.

Opening morning Dad and I were out trying find him a doe. The truck hunters had the deer running all over the place. Dad and I had walked about 1/2 mile from the road and were just watching a herd of does running aver a ridge way off to the east of us.

As we sat there watching I saw movment in a coulee about 300 yards away. 4 small bucks and a slick head came running straight towards us. We sat still and they ran by us about 50 yards away. I saw dad fidget a bit and then the deer dropped in the coulee and out of sight. The last one the largest of the group stopped just before it would drop out of sight and looked right at Dad and I.

The deer was an okay second week deer and a third week deer for sure. But not something to shoot first week.

As we sat there watching, dad says, "are you going to shoot that our what!" Dad speaks, I shot.

Later that evening, I hear dad on the phone with my brother, saying how it was a good thing he was with me, or I probably never got a deer. Luv ya Dad!!

This deer will never make it in any record book, but it will always be the trophy deer Dad and I got together.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7665

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com