Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Follow up to the canned lion appeal

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Follow up to the canned lion appeal
      #142913 - 30/09/09 07:57 AM

Africa : South Africa: Bullet for canned hunting?
on 2009/9/29 2:10:20

The environmental affairs department on Monday welcomed the Free State High Court's dismissal of an application by lion breeders for leave to appeal a decision on captive bred lions.

"This latest judgment strengthens the department's resolve to responsible, regulated and sustainable hunting practices," said Albi Modise, department spokesperson, in a statement.

Modise said while hunting makes a substantial and positive contribution to conservation management and economic growth, the department also had a responsibility to preserve the resource base and ensure the industry had a sustainable future.

"Hunting is an important industry but we must manage it in accordance with defensible standards," he said.

The SA Predator Breeders Association brought an application in May 2007 taking the environment minister to court over certain aspects of the Threatened or Protected Species (TOPS) regulations, which came into effect in February 2008.

The association challenged, amongst others, the inclusion of lion as a listed large predator and the 24-month period in which captive bred lions had to fend for themselves in an extensive wildlife system before they could be hunted.

It was argued that the regulations would have a particularly great impact on the captive bred lion industry in the Free State and North West provinces.

It was also submitted that the 24-months self sustaining provision would destroy the industry with negative economic and social impacts.

The court found against the lion breeders on 11 June this year and dismissed an application for leave to appeal last Friday.

Modise said the department would now focus on achieving its original intention of listing lions as a large predator subject to TOPS regulations.

The SA Predator Breeders Association chairperson Carel van Heerden indicated that members would meet this week to discuss the latest developments.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Re: Follow up to the canned lion appeal [Re: gryphon]
      #142918 - 30/09/09 09:30 AM

that is great news but why only the lion there is ranch canned estate what ever you want to call it on allot of animals deer,elk,african game.i say take all the fences down and let people just hunt but its the 100% rule clients want to kill not hunt more often than not.

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

ChinaFleetSailor
.224 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Re: Follow up to the canned lion appeal [Re: bwananelson]
      #144976 - 02/11/09 10:01 AM

The problem with that is, if you took down all the fences, certain species might go extinct.

Here in Texas, we have more Scimitar Horned Oryx than exist in their natural environment. There, the animals are endangered. Here you can hunt them.

But you can't just introduce exotic animals here. That's illegal. So you need to fence the property.

We have a viable population of Scimitar Horned Oryx because it's profitable for the landowners. The problem is, it may not be for much longer. The animal rights activists want all hunting stopped because the animals are endangered in their home country. Even though they're not here.

How do you think the landowners are going to react? Do you think they're going to maintain viable populations of an animal that you can't hunt, instead of maintaining a viable population of animals that he can offer to hunters?

I say "hunters" and not "shooters" because if the property is large enough then it doesn't hinder the animals at all.

Not that I've ever done it. But a lot of Texas ranches are bigger than some islands I've hunted for deer.

I'm not a fan of hunting high-fenced properties. I hunt on a lease near the Red River that is a working ranch and is not high fenced. I'm also not a fan of hunting exotics. I'd rather go to their natural habitat and hunt them.

But I'm also practical enough to concede that high fenced properties in Texas have created reservoirs of animals that can't be hunted in their natural habitats, because in many cases they're endangered in their home countries.

And you can't legally have those exotics here without the high fence.

Doing as you say, getting rid of all the fences, would in some cases harm the chances for some of these species' long term survival.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Follow up to the canned lion appeal [Re: ChinaFleetSailor]
      #144984 - 02/11/09 12:57 PM

Chinafleetsailor

Agree with you statements--as in the case of the Scimitar--or many others for that matter...I plan to head to your state this winter and go after a black buck and Axis...think it will be great fun --all one has to do IMO, is realize it is what it is..might be a good hunt or it might be a shoot--I am o.k. with that...I am there to have fun and can do so no matter what it is..

The thing I do have a problem with is how some of the lion hunts were being conducted in Africa..where magically a "Problem" lion appeared or just appeared with the unsuspecting client not having enough experience or knowledge to know what it really was...granted there were many that knew exactly what they were buying but some not...

Hope all is well

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

ChinaFleetSailor
.224 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Re: Follow up to the canned lion appeal [Re: Ripp]
      #145327 - 07/11/09 02:02 PM

Ripp,

Enjoy your visit to Texas, and good luck.

I agree entirely with your thoughts; I also have the same problem. There may be room for debate, but not for deception.

I'm not in favor of the "canned" hunting of any species. If by "canned" we're talking about the killing of an animal that can't survive in the wild, never has survived in the wild, and one that does not exist in a sustainable population on the land hunted.

I'm not talking about merely hunting on piece of land that happens to have a fence around it. So long as the fenced property is large enough, and the population of animals is established and not merely released for the pleasure of the shooter, I have no real problem with that.

After all, I've hunted islands. And water is just one kind of natural barrier to the movement of animals that I can think of. So I can't categorically say that an unnatural barrier automatically shifts everything into the "canned" category.

I hope to hunt lion one day, but I wouldn't hunt one under anything except fair chase conditions. But then, the same goes for a Blackbuck or a Scimitar Horned Oryx.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 67 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2334

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com